OtakuBoards

Fullmetal Alchemist

Guest dark kitsune

[quote name='AzureWolf][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]What's production values mean? I'm not good with Hollywood lingo. I'm getting a vague sense from the context, but not quite.[/COLOR][/SIZE'][/FONT][/quote]
I use it--and I hope I'm using it correctly, haha--as a catch-all phrase meaning the quality of the character art (how on-model everyone is, etc.), the smoothness of the animation, the range of actual movement (instead of just implied movement) shown, the consistency compared to earlier episodes, and so forth. Of course, I suppose this can and does apply to the background music, sound effects and sound mixing, but I'm usually much more sensitive to variations in visual things. :sweat:

Thanks for telling me about Maria Ross. I'll think probably watch the DVDs subbed; it looks as though there are a quite a few other seiyuu I like sprinkled throughout the cast, and I kind of want to hear Mustang's Japanese voice. :)

~Dagger~

[color=Navy]I've seen the entire series of FMA and I absolutely love it, though I do wonder what the characters sound like with English Voice Actors, because all I've seen are the Subs.

I thought the series was quite tragic because of the the deaths that were through out it, and I wasn't really happy about the ending.

I really wish that FMA was shown on TV in Australia, but we hardly get any anime here.

It was good that they involved History in it, though that was mainly only near the end. Still, I loved the anime.
[/color]

Yay! Volume 1 (which contains four episodes) was released yesterday. There are two versions available--a regular edition and a special edition which includes the first soundtrack and a tin artbox big enough to hold the first five DVDs. Both come with a clean reversible cover and a nice, thick booklet that features production artwork, character descriptions (they're slightly spoiler-rific, so watch out) and the like.

I ordered the tin version from Target, so I was slightly worried that it would get dented in the mail, but my copy ended up coming in pristine condition. The only problem was that two "as seen on Adult Swim" stickers were stuck on the actual metal, rather than the plastic around it. While I've heard that they can be a real ***** to take off, using a hairdryer on it makes the process go a whole lot faster.

Anyway. The packaging is stunning, the extras are great, and overall this is well worth buying. The CD is fantastic--most of the music was played by a live orchestra (the Moscow Symphony something or other; it's credited in the liner notes), and this makes it sound many times better than most anime OSTs, which tend to have a sort of synthesized ring. It's full, rich, and with 33 tracks, it more than makes up for the additional expense. I enjoyed reading the composer's comments, which mentioned something about wanting to create angsty music that wouldn't leave scars. It's a nice concept.

~Dagger~

I havent really watched much of it but from what i have seen of it it's good plus my brother has the game and him and my freind are big fans so mabe i'll watch more of it

OH yeah guess what im back :moron: :all:

[color=#503f86][SIZE=1][b]Welcome back, jing, but please try and make sure that your post spelling, gramar and punctuation is okay- long run-on sentences are confusing and can get irritating to read, so it's always best to put a few full stops in. A little more detail wouldn't go amiss, either, heh. -Solo[/color][/SIZE][/b]

Guest ed'sgurl5
i watch fullmetal alchemist and my bestr friend does too she got me in to anime any way i was wondering if i was the only person that thinks ed is cute and i misse despoisde seven :(

[color=navy][size=1]Your post quality could use some serious improvement. For tips on how to achieve this, please go read the comments that Solo edited into the reply situated directly above yours. ^_^

~Dagger~[/size][/color]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy]I nearly missed it too, only because I was looking through the guide before hand did I notice it was on 30 minutes earlier? anyways. [/color][/size][/font]

[size=1][font=Comic Sans MS][color=navy]The episode opens in the town that Ed and Al visited in the first episode. It?s now a total mess and the military has taken over. Up in the tower sit Lust and Gluttony, Cornello joins them[spoiler] and changes into Envy. (Not sure if this should be in spoilers since Gluttony already ate Cornello... but). [/spoiler] The three talk about the foolishness of men and talk of how Ed is the closest to their goal. Scar kills another State Alchemist (while I think Mustang and Hughes talk about the killings). Ed and Al continue searching for Dr. Marco. On their way there Ed and Al duck into a hay stack while a State Alchemist walks by. They get to Dr. Marco?s house and he shoots at them afraid they want him to rejoin the military. Al convinces him to let them in? (Just going to spoilers now incase I spoil anything?^^;; yea.) [spoiler] While inside Dr. Marco tells them of how the philosopher stone was used in the Ishbal Massacre and, because he took part in something so horrible, Dr. Marco has become a doctor to make up for all that he has done. Ed finds a vial of liquid that looks like red water but is clearer when Basque Grant enters to seize the research causing Ed to drop the vial, which breaks, and the liquid turns into a stone. They get into a car and while heading back the car is stopped by? none other than Scar! Scar kills Grant and advances on Dr. Marco. All the time Ed is watching afraid and thinks about how his mind is telling him to run but his legs are frozen. Scar?s hand is almost on Dr. Marco when suddenly? Dr. Marco is whisked away! Ed and Dr. Marco are running down a street were Ed motions for them to join him in a tunnel were he alchemitizes up a big wall. Scar brakes through it and Scar comes to kill Ed when Al gets in the way. The blow some what messes up the metal of Al?s arm but does no real damage. Scar tells him that the blow was meant for human flesh. The boys are forced to fight and the State Alchemist from earlier comes to the rescue revealing himself to be Alex Louis Armstrong. ...Hmm some time during this Scar talks about his older brother and Al points out that, him having an older brother, he should understand how he feels about Ed (?or something like that I can?t really remember). [/spoiler] They leave and everything is happy!^^;; [/color][/font][/size]

[color=black][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy]Sorry if this post might seem somewhat spazzy I seam to not have recovered from the vast amount of candy I ate today? oh! And if you want an episode guide you can try Fullmetal-alchemist.com!^^[/color][/size] [/font][/color]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy]EDIT: If you want a non spoiler synopsis (sp?) of the show you can try Adult Swim's web site I think...[/color][/size][/font]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Good summary, junkobakaiba! *applauds* I actually pulled that episode up on my TiVo today and watched it before I had to go to work. I really liked the episode. Full Metal Alchemist has become one of my favorite series actually...I almost got turned off from the series, from what happened in episode 6 or 7, but I continued to watch it, and it's great. I really like the opening to the show as well. One of my favorites! Might drag my brother to the Big Apple Animefest as Al...I'll be Ed...it stinks when your little brother is bigger -_-;;[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]You know, it's so sad to see an FMA thread with this many posts, and the lengths of the posts being substantial, to not, at any point throughout, have a single arm and a leg joke... *nods*

But an opening has appeared!
[QUOTE]Okay recap if you will *please* Ed and Al lost something when trying to revive their mother right????? And since I read last months anime insider I've figured out why... they didnt offer anything in return for her soul.. i think.. haha[/QUOTE]Ed lost an arm and a leg, which has more meaning/weight when it's as literal as that. Al lost his entire body.

As for what you figured out, (as minor a spoiler as you can get) [SPOILER]they did try to offer something for her soul, but it wasn't equivalent[/SPOILER]. :p
[QUOTE]Could someone please summarize the most recent TV episode for me? I missed all but the last few minutes of it, as I had completely forgotten about the time slot change. Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]*whispers from afar* Download it... download it...

C'mon, it's better to watch it than read a summary. Also, I think, based on the summary, that the same episode aired yesterday or two days ago.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=AzureWolf][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]*whispers from afar* Download it... download it...

C'mon, it's better to watch it than read a summary. Also, I think, based on the summary, that the same episode aired yesterday or two days ago.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Too much effort. Besides, I've got several other series to catch up on... *glances over at Turn A Gundam and Mai-Hime* Since it's only a single episode, I'll just wait for the pretty, pretty DVDs. ;)

Ooh, are they doing weekday reruns or something? I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to CN--all I watch nowadays are new episodes of FMA, and that's just on Saturdays. I guess I'd better start paying more attention to SAC, though, since it should catch up with the DVD release soon.

Now that I've heard "Melissa" a fair number of times, I think I prefer it to Ready Steady Go. I was very surprised to learn that there are four different openings & endings! They must change pretty frequently, then.

EDIT: Speaking of arm and leg jokes, Elfen Lied has THE best prosthetic limb jokes of any anime I've seen (not that many anime prominently feature prosthetic limb jokes... but, well, you know I mean). Go watch it. :p

~Dagger~

something died inside of me watching that episode. I think I cried at certain parts. [spoiler]when I saw Mustand execute those doctors, I was sad, but when they torned out to be that one girl's family, I felt shocked. The state alchemists blowing up everything was sick too. The part that touched me most, though, wad when it showed that little girl holding her deaed mother, covered in blood.[/spoiler]

[quote name='ThatOneOddDude]something died inside of me watching that episode. I think I cried at certain parts. [spoiler']when I saw Mustand execute those doctors, I was sad, but when they torned out to be that one girl's family, I felt shocked. The state alchemists blowing up everything was sick too. The part that touched me most, though, wad when it showed that little girl holding her deaed mother, covered in blood.[/spoiler][/quote]
Same here... I completely froze up. During some scenes, I was so tense with horror that the dialogue just kind of washed past me. I was not expecting the series to go in that direction. It gave me a different feeling than the one I got from the "Nina" episode, and in many ways this was worse. And additionally...

[spoiler][b]Roy Mustang[/b] killed Winry's parents!?[/spoiler]

I'm with you in that [spoiler]seeing her picture half-covered in blood[/spoiler] really got to me. Only a couple of days ago, I had been watching and re-watching episode 3, which depicts [spoiler]Winry's grief in the aftermath of her parents' deaths, and Ed and Al's sadness/inability to help her cope.[/spoiler] So this one aspect of the plot was more prominent in my mind than it might otherwise have been, and that made what was revealed seem even more shocking.

It's not often that facial expressions in anime have much of an impact on me. Fullmetal Alchemist is actually rather exceptional in that regard; the animators did an amazing job of visually showing the characters' emotions. I will [i]never[/i] forget [spoiler]the look on Mustang's face right after he shot Winry's mom and dad.[/spoiler]

I'd write more about the episode, but I'm not terribly stable at the moment, so I think I'm going to sleep on it for a bit.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger IX1']...and a special edition which includes the first soundtrack and a tin artbox big enough to hold the first five DVDs.[/quote][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Whoa, wait a minute. The [U]FIRST[/U] FIVE?! O_o How many are they going to have?! And what happens after the first five fill their casing? Where will the remaining 95 DVDs go?!

As for the sticker thing, those are pissing me off. They are such a pain to get off, and, contrary to popular belief, I don't have a hair dryer. Oh man, I already ripped them off, and now the sticky residue is left. Not even water is removing it, and alcohol did jack. I'm not going to try acetone, haha. Maybe soda? O_o

It's like, FUNi did a great job with FMA, but they had to find a way to remind us that it's from them.
[QUOTE]Now that I've heard "Melissa" a fair number of times, I think I prefer it to Ready Steady Go. I was very surprised to learn that there are four different openings & endings! They must change pretty frequently, then.[/QUOTE] *gasp!* Are you mad?! Godel's back! *heads for cover*

But yeah, that's the thing: the Ready Steady Go opening is too generic and really doesn't match the atmosphere of FMA. The third ending also doesn't fit with FMA, IMO. All the other openings and endings do do.

Do you know what language the song "Brothers" is sung in (it's in the soundtrack)? It's definately not Japanese, and the letters are not familiar to me at all. However, the singing and accenting makes me think it's Portugese (but that's really a wild guess).
[QUOTE]EDIT: Speaking of arm and leg jokes, Elfen Lied has THE best prosthetic limb jokes of any anime I've seen (not that many anime prominently feature prosthetic limb jokes... but, well, you know I mean). Go watch it. [/QUOTE] Interesting, haha. Yeah, Elfen Lied is on the top of my "to watch" list when another chance to watch anime comes along, but that won't be a while... *waits for summer vacation*

Oh, and not to boast or anything, but I believe this was the episode where I guessed the third and final sin-related theme in FMA correctly. The first two are very obvious, because they are religion-related, but this one is more on the literature side of things. There wasn't really anything specific within the episode, but all the sin and God talk made me realize something: "if they have this sin thing, and they have this sin thing... you know, FMA has the perfect scenario to have this sin thing." And indeed, much later on, there it was. ^^

Sorry to boast, heh.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy]Yay! I'm glad people liked my summary!! I thought it was bad!^^[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy]Anyways... everyone seems so impressed by the DVDs but I kinnda feel it was somewhat a waste of money. All that it had besides the normal DVD was a thing to hold the first five in and the OST... I'm happy about the OST but the tin does have the two evil 'As seen on Adult Swim' stickers and the character description only described Ed and AL? Oh well *shrugs* It still was pretty good I just would?ve preferred it to be a bit cheaper...[/color][/size][/font]

[color=black][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][quote name='Dagger IX1'] Ooh, are they doing weekday reruns or something? I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to CN--all I watch nowadays are new episodes of FMA, and that's just on Saturdays. I guess I'd better start paying more attention to SAC, though, since it should catch up with the DVD release soon.[/quote][/size][/font][/color]
[font=Times New Roman][font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy]Heh I meant to mention that you could try and watch the weekday episode. I think the weekday episodes are on Thursday night at 12:30 though it might be up thirty minutest or something now that they changed the Saturday time... must remember to check. [/color][/size][/font][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=navy]Edit: Yerp it's still on at 12:30 on Thursdays.:animesmil[/color] [/size][/font]

[quote name='AzureWolf][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Whoa, wait a minute. The [U]FIRST[/U] FIVE?! O_o How many are they going to have?! And what happens after the first five fill their casing? Where will the remaining 95 DVDs go?![/COLOR][/SIZE'][/FONT][/quote]
I think there are supposed to be a total of thirteen DVDs spread across three boxes, with five in the first tin and four in each of the next two tins.

[QUOTE][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]As for the sticker thing, those are pissing me off. They are such a pain to get off, and, contrary to popular belief, I don't have a hair dryer. Oh man, I already ripped them off, and now the sticky residue is left. Not even water is removing it, and alcohol did jack. I'm not going to try acetone, haha. Maybe soda? O_o[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Try soaking them in canola oil for a bit; that's what I did before I learned about the hairdryer trick, and it did help to a certain extent. You'll probably have to do a lot of fingernail-scraping... once you get the bulk of it off, normal soap and some more scrubbing should take care of the filmy residue.

[QUOTE][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Do you know what language the song "Brothers" is sung in (it's in the soundtrack)? It's definately not Japanese, and the letters are not familiar to me at all. However, the singing and accenting makes me think it's Portugese (but that's really a wild guess).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
The letters look kind of like Cyrillic to me, which would make it Russian, but to be truthful I'm not really all that sure. :animeswea

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]I think there are supposed to be a total of thirteen DVDs spread across three boxes, with five in the first tin and four in each of the next two tins.

Try soaking them in canola oil for a bit; that's what I did before I learned about the hairdryer trick, and it did help to a certain extent. You'll probably have to do a lot of fingernail-scraping... once you get the bulk of it off, normal soap and some more scrubbing should take care of the filmy residue.

The letters look kind of like Cyrillic to me, which would make it Russian, but to be truthful I'm not really all that sure. :animeswea

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Full metal Alchemist is AWESOME. I watch every show. I only stay up on Saturdays to watch This and Inuyasha. I played the video game "Fullmetal Alchemist" and it is SO awesome. It doesnt follow directly to the show, which is good because if it did some people might be confused :animeswea

Guest Kera Rei
[COLOR=Purple]I have been watching it, Alot of parts are when you want to see what happens next you just keep watching and you have no clue that your getting additicded to it! its scary.....[/COLOR]

I watched all the episodes of fullmetal alchemist. Can somebody explain to me that last episode a bit?(ep.51) I didn't fully understand the ending. Other than that, i love fullmetal alchemist!!!!! :D I'm sad that there won't be any other episodes!!!! :animecry: (atleast I think there won't be any) And can somebody tell me if there is a fullmetal alchemist movie? If there is, please tell me the title.

[quote name='c4ss4ndr41121']Can somebody explain to me that last episode a bit?(ep.51) And can somebody tell me if there is a fullmetal alchemist movie? If there is, please tell me the title.[/quote][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]The ending was quite interesting, and foreshadowed some stuff that will take place in the movie. OMG, when Ed mentioned [SPOILER]Einstein[/SPOILER], everything was put into perspective. ^^

Anyway, everything is revealed about the movie on the first website you come across when you google for "Fullmetal Alchemist." I think the person they interviewed was an idiot, because he/she gave too much away. Does he/she think we are so dumb that we can't put two and two together?

So, yeah, the movie will be the finale (aka the last episode). But read at your discretion: whoever they interviewed doesn't know how to keep secrets. I didn't read all the way through, so I don't know how much is spoiled (when I came across the first major spoiler, I stopped).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Saw the new episode. It was AWESOME. TThe best part, of course, was when [spoiler] That crazy lady drove her finger through the doctors shoulder, then he put a spire through her stomach, not harming her at all. Then gluttony comes in with that girl's head halfway into his mouth. I just wish they hadn't stopped in a cliffhanger.[/spoiler] I actually laughed when that little girl took Ed's leg, but not nearly as much as when [spoiler]Al scares the crap out of that kid, who turns out to be the girls brother.[/spoiler]

Lust is so cool. And what an appropriate name... :animenose

Though not as dramatic as the previous episode (after all, how could it possibly have matched that level of intensity?), episode 16 still had some very strong moments. Despite the wonderful Al-centric jokes--it sounded like his voice actor was having a lot of fun, heh--everything felt pretty bleak. Naturally, the constant rain, the gray skies and the brothers' situation added greatly to that sense of darkness.

[spoiler]Between Lust's crew and Scar, it's clear that trouble will be coming around the corner. Lust and Scar are obviously not the type to take breaks.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~