OtakuBoards

FIFA World Cup 2010 - South Africa

OMNOMNOMALY

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Ah how I enjoyed taunting my English friends over their performance in that match. The Americans played well to give them their credit but there was something terribly wrong with England during that match. They'd seriously want to improve their game if they think they have a hope of reaching the quarter finals, let alone further.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Gavin' date='12 June 2010 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1276398089' post='695151']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]The Americans played well to give them their credit but there was something terribly wrong with England during that match. They'd seriously want to improve their game if they think they have a hope of reaching the quarter finals, let alone further.[/size][/font]
[/quote]
[font="Garamond"];___; it was pathetic. England just couldn't finish a damn thing. I really hope they get it together =/
I think the pregame dudes said that America hadn't beaten England since like... 1996![/font]

[quote name='mapthesoul.' date='13 June 2010 - 04:04 AM' timestamp='1276398292' post='695152']
[font="Garamond"];___; it was pathetic. England just couldn't finish a damn thing. I really hope they get it together =/
I think the pregame dudes said that America hadn't beaten England since like... 1996![/font]
[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]I actually thought the Americans had a good chance to scoring a second goal and winning the match had it not been for Carragher's blatant foul, how the ref let that one go is completely beyond me but there were several questionable calls or lack of them in that match.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Gavin' date='12 June 2010 - 09:19 PM' timestamp='1276399146' post='695155']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]I actually thought the Americans had a good chance to scoring a second goal and winning the match had it not been for Carragher's blatant foul, how the ref let that one go is completely beyond me but there were several questionable calls or lack of them in that match.[/size][/font]
[/quote]
[font="Garamond"]Oh I definitely think they could've won, but there was the reffing and they didn't have consistently good passing in the second half, like at all. So it's too bad for them because even in the wake of England's clusterf*** they still couldn't quite pull it together neatly.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you =P[/font]

[color="#000080"][size="2"][font="Garamond"]I watched the England-USA match and I was just underwhelmed by the US team. For how much time ESPN spends lauding the team and how it's the best team we've had in years, the match didn't live up to the hype. I think that botched save by the England goalie really demoralized the team and they just couldnt' recover (not that I'm downplaying Howard's goalkeeping ability). But a lot of these matches that I've been watching have been a little too conservative. I've seen so many ties, it makes me wonder if the competition is really this good or if the competition is really just that bad at scoring.[/font][/size][/color]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]I think we are going to see some tactical football at this point in the competition which is a bit of a shame because it does lead to some really unimpressive performances, at least from teams we should see better from. A lot of teams want to see how their potential opposition are reacting to the climate in South Africa and how that could potentially affect their football. In England's case however I think they expected to just walk out and over the Americans and when they didn't it spooked them into some very defensive oriented play, that and Gerard and Lampard just couldn't sync well together for most of the match.[/size][/font]

Soccer-Football 1-1 is just sad. America wasn't doing well enough to deserve a draw. But England was behaving like a bunch of tarts anyway. Germany is on a roll though. And Australia is just sucking badly (and they're shouting too much). Can't wait for the Netherlands - Denmark during working hours. :^D

By the way, the only South Africans using the vuvuzelas seem to be the whites trying to suppress the blacks' cheering. Edited by Lady Shy

[quote name='Lady Shy' date='13 June 2010 - 01:30 PM' timestamp='1276457435' post='695199']
Germany is on a roll though. And Australia is just sucking badly (and they're shouting too much).
[/quote]
[font="Garamond"]fffffffff.
Germany IS doing great for sure, and they deserve to win. BUT I think that red card on Cahill was BS because it did not look intentional. And now Australia is panicking and they are playing even worse and Germany is going to further exploit that. Too bad, since the Aussies have in fact had some great opportunities. They're stressing me right out.

edit: 4-0 Germany, 20 minutes to go =/ painful.[/font] Edited by mapthesoul.

[quote name='Lady Shy' date='13 June 2010 - 03:30 PM' timestamp='1276457435' post='695199']
Soccer-Football 1-1 is just sad. America wasn't doing well enough to deserve a draw. But England was behaving like a bunch of tarts anyway.
[/quote]

This. Sorry, USA, it's cool that you drawed with England and stuff but the team was lacking and so uncoordinated compared to England's, and that's saying something because England wasn't even playing very well. If USA had gotten another goal, they wouldn't have deserved to win. Even the one goal they DID get was just because of Green's **** up... It's not really an "excuse" but I'm tired of Americans acting like our team is the **** right now, because they really aren't.

Also, it's just sad that England didn't manage to beat the USA, which isn't even a "football country." Edited by eleanor

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Commiserations to the Aussies on their match...

...and thank God we finally saw some decent football from a world-class team, although to be fair it should've been a lot more than 4-0 if they'd capitalised on all their chances.[/size][/font]

[font="'Arial Narrow"][size=2]Me = shattered. Can't entirely claim to be surprised. We were hopefully optimistic but it just didn't work. Germany is one of the best teams in the world -- they've gotten to the semi-finals or above 11 times. Australia's only gotten into the world cup 3 times. At the end of the day....we were just outplayed. [/size][/font]
[font="'Arial Narrow"][size=2]
[/size][/font]
[font="'Arial Narrow"][size=2]I think the worst part in all this is that we've now lost Cahill for the game against Ghana. I'm hopeful we'll be okay, but... *shrug* [/size][/font]
[/size][/font]
[/size][/font]

Honestly, so far the Dutch team is pretty pathetic as well, while Denmark is playing ace in defense.

[b]Update:[/b] [spoiler]Thanks to trickster Elia with his exotic football feet and Denmark, we ended up on 2-0. Second half was better, but until Elia came in, not impressive. No extra kudos for Kuyt because he scored, because if he wouldn't have been there he'd suck. :^D[/spoiler] Edited by Lady Shy

[quote name='Lady Shy' date='14 June 2010 - 07:17 PM' timestamp='1276539466' post='695276']
Skip the first half when you watch it online or something. They'll do better next time, surely.
[/quote]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]
Meh, not that dedicated to seeing them play. World Cup doesn't really get any good until the Quarter Finals and all the good teams start having to play one another.[/size][/font]

[font="Garamond"]I'm not really expecting it by any means, but it would be pretty sweet if Paraguay upset Italy right out of the gates... Time will tell.
edit:PARAGUAY GETS THE FIRST GOAL, LEADS THE MATCH 1-0 WHAT UPPPPP
editted edit: and Italy tied it up and the game ended in a draw QQ Super tired of draws...[/font] Edited by mapthesoul.

[quote name='Gavin' date='16 June 2010 - 02:43 PM' timestamp='1276692212' post='695390']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][url="http://www.legofussball.eu/"]http://www.legofussball.eu/[/url]

Best. Website. Ever.[/size][/font]
[/quote]

Schade das sie Elia keinen Mohawk gegeben haben. :(

The South Africa vs Uruguay game was entertaining, but ended up to be a lopsided 3-0 win for Uruguay. Tough luck for the hosts, as it looks like they'll be the first host nation to miss out on the second round. But hopefully, that will make mean the annoying vuvuzelas will be less prominent.

LAST NIGHT I WAS THINKING HOW FUNNY IT'D BE IF GERMANY LOST THIS MORNING

LOL 2010 WORLD CUP IS OPPOSITE WORLD CUP

[SPOILER]ALL UPSETS WILL BE MADE BY TEAMS THAT START WITH 'S'[/SPOILER] Edited by eleanor

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Another disappointed result from England earlier today, one wonders whether they'll actually progress to the next stage if Slovenia play well and the Americans beat the Algerians.[/size][/font] Edited by Gavin