OtakuBoards

Favorite Underrated anime

xaos

Oh yeah, it's definitely corny, but in a fun kind of way. There are parts that are just ass no matter how you slice it (the episode with the clown is one of the worst I've ever seen), but for the most part I enjoyed all the goofiness. The stereotypical Gundams made me laugh my ass off -- they should probably be offensive, but they're just so damn silly that they're hilarious. And again, beneath that goofiness, there's a solid story with some good twists.

As for mecha ... I mean, there will always be mechaheads around (I know a bunch myself), but the genre as a whole is a lot less popular than it was even 10 years ago. The occasional big one will come out (Code Geass, Eureka Seven, Gundam 00, etc.), along with some smaller ones here and there, but they're dwarfed by all the school-based moe series and romance series out there. I had friends who were hoping [b]Heroman[/b] of all series would be OK just because they were starved for good mecha. It's a desert out there for them right now, haha.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that my favorite underrated anime and also under advertised or whatever else we want to call it is [b]Gundam 0080[/b]. It was a really short like 6 episode little Gundam series, and I absolutely adored it. The story was awesome and heart felt.

Another anime I thought was pretty cool but most people don't seem to really like is [b]Kikidier[/b]. Personally, I liked both of them. It was like a modern Pinnocio (sp?) story.

Of course,[b] .hack[/b] is awesome in all of its aspects. =]

• 3 weeks later...
[color="#4169E1"]Now, all I can say is that in my opinion there are alot of random stories and series about that I find way too overrated. But also, what I do know about, and what im very good at is finding non-mainstream awesome anime!

I just want other peoples opinions on this, because I really think its just me... people have even gone so far as to tell me im not a true otaku because I dont take part in series such as Naruto and bleach even though I watched 200 episodes of each series to give it a chance.... a really good chance!

Air Gear... highly underrated and freaking fantasticalphantasmagorialexcellenticallygreat! In all my years... ive talked to 3 people about this who actually knew a fluent amount about this anime. And what about other underrated anime like Burst Angel, and NANA! Cmon who still watches Nana?! I do... im sure many other old fans do to, but I also bet there are alot of people who havent even heard of it because the hype is way down. Even though In my opinion should be way up! Same with Beck!

So talk to me guys! I hate to see hardcore Otaku out there missing out on gut wrenching, tear jerking, emotion driving anime gems out there!

Talk about some of your favourite anime gems and lets get people hyped up on the good ol' flicks.

Endrance, <3[/color] Edited by Endrance

You truly speak to my soul by mirroring my own feelings so perfectly.

This is something I've been preaching about for ages.  So much of the "mainstream" anime that's currently being shoved down our throats (like Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, etc.) might appeal to a lot of people but there are a lot of series out there that fans don't even know about that would blow each of those series off the shelves if they got the same media exposure as they did.

[b]Air Gear[/b] and [b]Burst Angel[/b] are indeed titles worthy of attention so here are a few more that I would recommend:

[b]Elemental Gelade[/b] - A great adventure series about a young Sky Pirate who befriends a mysterious girl with the ability to transform into a powerful weapon.  Their quest to find the girl's homeland is fraught will action, comedy and even a dash of true love.  Awesome story that has something for everyone.

[b]Aquarion[/b] - Probably the best giant robot anime I've seen in a while.  A group of aspiring young pilots train to master their psychic powers and operate the mechanical angel Aquarion to save the human race from the Shadow Angels.  There's an underlying plotline going on but most episodes are self-contained.  Reviews and trailers simply don't do this series justice as they can't convey the "fun factor" you'll experience in watching.

[b]Basilisk [/b]- A very dramatic and often bloody series that chronicles the blood feud between rival ninja clans.  Basilisk boasts the best character designs I've seen since Ninja Scroll and the fight scenes are amazing.  Naruto fans might be put off by the brutality and serious nature of the plot though.  This is a ninja show for more mature fans.

[b]Getbackers[/b] - Probably one of the most underrated yet entertaining shows I've seen to date.  The character designs are absolutely amazing and are the best feature of the series.  Even bit characters who appear in only a single episode are fleshed out and everyone in the series has some sort of special power or weapon training that make their battles exciting and original.

[b]Solty Rei[/b] - A sci-fi series that didn't get nearly enough exposure when it first came out.  An all-star voice cast brings a cast of memorable characters to life, making even the mundane aspects of the show worth watching. The series starts off with a bunch of self-contained adventures but there's an underlying plotline that'll sneak up on you around the middle of the series.  That's when the drama gets turned up a notch.  Add to that a truly dramatic ending and you've got a series that's definitely worth watching from start to finish.

I could go on and on like this but I'll stop for now and give everyone else a chance to pimp their fave series.

I'll agree with u guys on Air Gear. I have heard that a second season was made of it and the second season badically did a faceplant... Haven't seen it though so I can't really judge.

A couple other "off Beat animes"

Hunter x Hunter- it follows Gon in being tested to become a hunter. The story basicalyy follows him and his friends Great series awesome characters.

Air Master- a Former gymnist become a street fighter and she is really good at. She gains the nickname Air Master due to her aireal acrobatics.

If u guys are into sappy love dramas

Toradora- a guy and girl meet in high school and end up falling for one another

Loverly Complex- short guy and a tall girl try to do everything but be together but they end up getting together in the end.

One mecha series that I enjoy is [i]Gasaraki[/i]. It's full of political intrigue, social unrest, mecha action, and mythology that spans the ages. It all adds up to one of the more underrated mecha-anime series of all time.

As for that whole overrated-underrated thing, the usual suspects that are deemed overrated have their functions, I'd say. I know of many people who first got into anime because of those "overrated" anime (and where is the line drawn when we can clearly say that something is overrated, anyways - [i]Death Note[/i], or an easier target like [i]Naruto[/i]? Is it mainly when something is commercially successful? If so, how do we approach [i]Fullmetal Alchemist[/i], which defies such seemingly arbitrary labels?). One of the first anime that [i]really[/i] hooked me was DBZ. From then on, I've been sampling almost anything that interests me, whether it be popular or not. Of course, some of the anime deemed "underrated" is such for a reason: they're not very good, e.g. [i]Mahoromatic [/i]and[i] Ikki Tousen[/i]. Nevertheless, some anime does go under the radar of those more inclined to keep up with the popular anime. But in due time, I suspect they'll take those nice little roads which lead to pleasant discoveries. Heck, I'll give 'em credit and say that some of them at some time or other have watched - and liked! - both [i]Inuyasha[/i] and, say, [i]ChaoS;HEAd.[/i]

[quote name='The Tentacle' date='15 August 2010 - 07:08 PM' timestamp='1281913685' post='699455']
[b]Basilisk [/b]- A very dramatic and often bloody series that chronicles the blood feud between rival ninja clans.  Basilisk boasts the best character designs I've seen since Ninja Scroll and the fight scenes are amazing.  Naruto fans might be put off by the brutality and serious nature of the plot though.  This is a ninja show for more mature fans.
[/quote]

Oh my. I completely forgot about [b]Basilisk[/b]. One thing I found off-putting about Basilisk is that it starts off pretty slow. Slow as in you wanna see what's so great about the main character, but it takes about 7 episodes for him to do much of anything, but boy once you see what he have to offer it can definately hook you. I don't think Naruto fans will be turned off by the brutality, if anything, they'd be turned off by the abilties. In comparison you'd wish that some of the characters abilities were fleshed out a bit more when comparing it to Naruto, but considering it's just 24 episodes I thought it was nicely done. I favor Basilisk over Naruto though if it makes you feel any better :biggrin:

I would also consider [b]Samurai 7[/b] underrated. It's not on the level of Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X or Samurai Champloo but it does have its moments of greatness. Some of the characters can use a bit of work IMO (The big red machine whose name I can't spell). The animation is nice considering its a Gonzo production, but they do cheat a little bit and do that "reuse animation from previous episodes" which I never could stand, but I think it's only done in maybe 1-2 episodes, but other that that it's pretty decent. Edited by Beretta

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Basilisk and Samurai 7 would definitely be two great animes I consider to be severely underrated/unknown by fans. I'd probably throw in Berserk as well, dark low-fantasy tale that's not for the faint of heart but definitely very enjoyable for those who can get into it. The anime probably isn't as good as the manga, by simple fact it doesn't cover enough of the gargantuan story going on.

Ber the samurai you're trying to remember is Kikuchiyo, definitely my favourite of the seven.[/size][/font]

I liked [b]Samurai 7[/b] well enough and, on its own, I can't really complain about anything in particular.  But as futuristic remake of [b]Seven Samurai by Akira Kurosawa [/b]it had some pretty big shoes to fill right from the get-go.  If anything the anime fleshes the characters out more than the original but Kurosawa's work is timeless.  Even if you throw in giant robots and spaceships nothing can compare to that classic bit of cinema.

A couple more I want to throw out just because nobody I know of has ever heard of them:

[b]Mars Daybreak[/b] - A futuristic adventure that takes place on Mars, albeit it an oceanic version of the planet.  It has pirates with submarines, aquatic robot battles and a plotline that, while it doesn't totally suck, is somewhat generic. The real draw of this series for me was the characters though.  This series it chock full of lighthearted fun that doesn't rely on over-inflated boobs, hyper-violent fighting or gut-wrenching plot twists.  It's a plain old, cut-&-dry adventure that's entertaining despite its flaws.

[b]Tideline Blue[/b] - Continuing my submersible theme here.  Tideline Blue is set in a post-apocalyptic future where the survivors of a cataclysmic flood are struggling to rebuild their countries.  The story follows a young man named Keel who has gotten involved with a notorious military captain who seems bent on foiling the reconstruction efforts.  It's a surprisingly deep and moving story with an ending that's truly satisfying.  Despite the underlying tension going on around him Keel is, at his core, a comedy character and his antics will keep you laughing until the end.

[quote name='HopscotchEyelid' date='05 February 2010 - 07:44 AM' timestamp='1265370268' post='690304']
I can't say I know which Anime are popular and which are not, but my favorite Anime that I never here about otherwise is History's Strongest Disciple: Kenichi. It's a good Shonen Anime with unique characters and admirable art. The story is very typical of a Shonen Anime, but the way the story progresses is somewhat unique. It's also more quirky than most other fighting based Anime I've seen. I'm not sure if the Anime will eventually extend to the length of the manga (long like Naruto and Bleach) or not, but I hope it will.
[/quote]
Kenichi is a great series :D
i've seen a couple of the episodes XDD

[color=indigo]Again, I have a hard time justifying that any anime I have seen as being "under=rated" but I did think of two more that seem to fly under most peoples radar.

I really enjoyed [b]Vandread[/b], which, if you aren't familiar with, is a story about a galaxy where men and women are segregated. It is sort of a mech-light type anime but it does shine in one crucial area: character development. While it isn't an unusual premise, stories concerning the lack of understanding between the two sexes is as old as they come, [b]Vandread[/b] does a great job of pronouncing the how men and women often struggle to understand each other, and why this lack of understanding occurs.

Another series I dug was [b]Noir[/b]. Again, not an original premise, but it was still an enjoyable series.
[/color]

[quote name='Heaven's Cloud' date='23 August 2010 - 10:10 PM' timestamp='1282615819' post='699780']
[color=indigo]
I really enjoyed [b]Vandread[/b], which, if you aren't familiar with, is a story about a galaxy where men and women are segregated. It is sort of a mech-light type anime but it does shine in one crucial area: character development. While it isn't an unusual premise, stories concerning the lack of understanding between the two sexes is as old as they come, [b]Vandread[/b] does a great job of pronouncing the how men and women often struggle to understand each other, and why this lack of understanding occurs.
[/color]
[/quote]

When I first saw Vandread I thought the same thing, but after watching it that first time, and I don't know why because I liked it during that time, but trying to watch it more than once seemed to be impossible for me.It turned into one of those series that I'd consider a "watch it once" type of thing. I think it was mainly because of Hibiki. I liked all the other characters except him. (And then I'm just not much of a mecha fan... Ironic, especially when you see my next choice)

[b]IGPX[/b] was another one I felt was underrated. Racing and Mecha, two genre's I'm not a fan of and made one interesting package. (If you've ever wondered why I can't stand the friendship theme/speech it's because of this series lol) The fights can get pretty exciting especially with some of the well known teams. The main character, Takashi/Takeshi, while decent/good in the 1st season, he can really turn you off in the 2nd season. But I suppose for people that like seeing folk go through some type of conflict (within themself and taking it out on those around them) then I think you'll like him. But for the most part it has a great cast of characters, tells a nice story and has great action.

[b]Vandread[/b] is one of my top-five favorite animes of all time.  I think I posted as much somewhere on the board but it certainly deserves to be mentioned as underrated as well.  

I really got into the series and watched it a second time only a couple of days after I'd finished it for the first time.  It's hard to pin down any one reason why I like Vandread so much.  It's probably easier to list my gripes since there's only one.  That being Hibiki of course.  He was a little too Gary Stu-ish in my humble opinion.  I never understood how a lowly factory worker suddenly became not only an ace robot pilot but a tactical mastermind to boot.  

[quote name='Arch angel 12' date='01 September 2010 - 12:40 AM' timestamp='1283294451' post='700093']
How about Mr.Despair?
[/quote]

[b]That's funny, I was just about to mention this one. I'm almost scared to watch it though. Not because of the dark humor, but because I accidentally watched an episode from the second season and this guy showed up and started [i]opening things.[/i][/b] :blink:

[center][img]http://i52.tinypic.com/1hyxj5.jpg[/img]
[b](Commodore Perry, yes that Commodore Perry)[/b][/center]

[b]I forgot to mention that on top of him showing up, for most or all of the episode there are both subtitles and supertitles. They're mostly different conversations too, but happening at the same time. My brain hurts. :pout:

Here's some of the scene if anyone is curious. Don't worry, it ends before Commodore Perry takes off his shirt. D:[/b]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuXT6oS6FRg"]Commodore Perry[/url] Edited by Lilt

• 2 weeks later...
[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#800080"]No one seems to have heard of Mononoke. And I'm not talking about the Ghibli movie.

I have a big crush on the Medicine Seller, and the artwork is really pretty. And there's a little mix of whodoneit in there... A truly amazing series, if too short at 12 episodes. One of my recent favorites.[/color][/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#4169e1"]I'm not sure about "under-rated" but Futakoi Alternative is one of my favourite more obscure anime!! ^^ Kinda got that random FLCL vibe going which I love. As opposed to the standard Futakoi which I'm not such a huge fan of, sort of a harem anime but with twins (not much of a selling point if you ask me v_v) There's also some badass animation in Alternative (my animators eyes never turn off x_x) [/color][/font]

[quote name='Anoel' date='17 September 2010 - 08:02 PM' timestamp='1284778930' post='700603']
[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#800080"]No one seems to have heard of Mononoke. And I'm not talking about the Ghibli movie.

I have a big crush on the Medicine Seller, and the artwork is really pretty. And there's a little mix of whodoneit in there... A truly amazing series, if too short at 12 episodes. One of my recent favorites.[/color][/font]
[/quote]

[b]Mononoke[/b] is a damn good series. What surprised me most about it is how accessible the series is -- even though it's so steeped in Japanese mythology and folklore, you don't really need to know that much about it to enjoy [b]Mononoke[/b]. The show also has one of the few moments in anime to legitimately creep me out ([spoiler]the shot in the final arc when the female reporter is on the train tracks and helplessly watches the train speed toward her[/spoiler]).

[quote name='Ordus' date='20 September 2010 - 01:17 AM' timestamp='1284970675' post='700635']
[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#4169e1"]I'm not sure about "under-rated" but Futakoi Alternative is one of my favourite more obscure anime!! ^^ Kinda got that random FLCL vibe going which I love. As opposed to the standard Futakoi which I'm not such a huge fan of, sort of a harem anime but with twins (not much of a selling point if you ask me v_v) There's also some badass animation in Alternative (my animators eyes never turn off x_x) [/color][/font]
[/quote]

Haha, that's a hilariously common story, I've found -- people generally seem to despise [b]Futakoi[/b] and love [b]Futakoi Alternative[/b]. I should give the latter a shot one of these days.

[quote name='Shinmaru' date='20 September 2010 - 12:07 PM' timestamp='1285002473' post='700640']
[b]Mononoke[/b] is a damn good series. What surprised me most about it is how accessible the series is -- even though it's so steeped in Japanese mythology and folklore, you don't really need to know that much about it to enjoy [b]Mononoke[/b]. The show also has one of the few moments in anime to legitimately creep me out ([spoiler]the shot in the final arc when the female reporter is on the train tracks and helplessly watches the train speed toward her[/spoiler]).

[/quote]

Yeah, that is an incredibly creepy part... Her lines make it even more so.

I also really like Karas. Nue is my favorite character. It can get very violent, and also confusing story wise. Good thing Nue and that female karas do some exposition at the beginning of the second part.

[quote]Haha, that's a hilariously common story, I've found -- people generally seem to despise [b]Futakoi[/b] and love [b]Futakoi Alternative[/b]. I should give the latter a shot one of these days.[/quote]

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#00bfff"][color="#4169e1"]Hehe It really is way overused, I guess it will always be an anime staple (As long as there are lonely Japanese men who perv on figurines, which I don't see being in any short supply for the foreseeable future) some are good though....some are bad.... But yeah definitely give Futakoi Alt a try, awesome stuff :D[/color]
[/color][/font]
[quote][b]Vandread[/b] is one of my top-five favorite animes of all time. I think I posted as much somewhere on the board but it certainly deserves to be mentioned as underrated as well.
[/quote]

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#4169e1"]Ah Vandread, very vague memories about it right now, but I remember a few gem moments, funny series. I must have watched that yonks ago during High school *feels old* I think I feel a re-watch coming on :)[/color][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
wow, i'm surprised to hear how many of you know vandread :P guess it's not that underrated then afterall ^_^

my pick for most underrated anime:

ghost stories - it's a typical story about a family moving somewhere new (the daughter and her little brother being the main focus). but as i heard it, failed to make any profit or fame in japan. so when adv bought the rights to translate/dub it they turned it into a popculture-focused parody (never lacking in the perverted jokes and such). it starts out pretty strong with the comedic references, but as the anime continues focuses more on the [unchanged] plot. not the best creation known to us, but a new, fun, sauteed type of anime :3

[quote name='Phenom' date='26 August 2010 - 10:05 AM' timestamp='1282831544' post='699876']
[b]IGPX[/b] was another one I felt was underrated. Racing and Mecha, two genre's I'm not a fan of and made one interesting package. (If you've ever wondered why I can't stand the friendship theme/speech it's because of this series lol) The fights can get pretty exciting especially with some of the well known teams. The main character, Takashi/Takeshi, while decent/good in the 1st season, he can really turn you off in the 2nd season. But I suppose for people that like seeing folk go through some type of conflict (within themself and taking it out on those around them) then I think you'll like him. But for the most part it has a great cast of characters, tells a nice story and has great action.
[/quote]

I ddin't know IGPX was an anime the first time I saw it was on CN and I loved both seasons of it. It focused not only on the racing but on the teams crew and pilots and how they ajusted to fame, reconition and the pressure they were under to preform. Edited by rotlung