OtakuBoards

FCKH8

Claire

[color="#FF0000"]warning: nsfw, if the url didn't give that away.[/color]

[url="http://fckh8.com/"]http://fckh8.com/[/url]

Let me get a few things straight* right away
1. I am gay.
2. I'm all for same-sex marriage and human rights.
3. I love cursing often and excessively.

BUT I don't like this video at all.

I totally agree with the message (in pretty much the same words, even) but I don't think it's expressed in the best possible way. It's abrasive and unrelentingly in-your-face, and I know that most of the target audience ("the Christian right," "hypocritical republicans," and pretty much homophobes in general) will be so offended by the video that in all likelihood it will have the opposite of the intended effect. I can totally see people at my family's church (or pretty much any church anywhere) using this video as a rallying point for protesting gay marriage.

I don't think it would be right to cater to the other side's interests, but this is way too much. There has to be a reasonable, sophisticated, thoughtful way to support this cause. Really, has just telling someone to "get the **** over" something ever made them get the **** over it?

So what do you think?

[size="1"]*har har[/size] Edited by Tonks

I got to the ninth person in the video and closed the window. Why would anyone think this would be helpful at all? This is not the way I want the gay mariage message to be spread. As a homosexual, I believe there are more effective and certainly more civilized ways to try and open peoples' minds. :pout:

[quote name='chibi-master' date='17 October 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1287366016' post='701116']
I got to the ninth person in the video and closed the window. Why would anyone think this would be helpful at all? This is not the way I want the gay mariage message to be spread. As a homosexual, I believe there are more effective and certainly more civilized ways to try and open peoples' minds. :pout:
[/quote]

I feel like it may be more for people who support this cause than anyone else. Maybe the producers intended it as some kind of confidence booster, rather than a weapon against discrimination. Maybe the t-shirts are purely to instigate intelligent debates.

I don't think people are going to read that far into it, though.

I feel this is self indulgence. I can't see why saying Fckh all the time is a good catchphrase , since all the people I know who do that are stupid. Though same-sex marriage isn't always a morality issue, allowing a kid that looks about four to cuss in front of the world is something Will Farrell would do, not someone who wants to be taken seriously. The main message I get from this video was "Some people don't deserve an opinion," and it does absolutely nothing to present a valid point of view. This video is definitely not made for convincing anyone, (I mean... they are selling shirts... i highly doubt their market is homophobes) but they really took a stance here that looks a lot more like what they should be fighting against: intolerance, stubbornness, and idiocy.

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]That was ******* moronic.

Not gay, don't care if someone is gay and I do support their right to marry or at least support their right to be as miserable as most other married people.

I fail to see the point of this video completely beyond shock value.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Gavin' date='18 October 2010 - 06:23 AM' timestamp='1287397403' post='701124']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]

I fail to see the point of this video completely beyond shock value.[/size][/font]
[/quote]

I mean I think it's pretty obvious it's a video for people who already support the cause and a way to raise money

what i'm pretty glad to see [around here at least] is an open, mature, and honest audience ^____^ yay for us! i don't know why, but in my years of searching for a forum board to be a part of after mystic.nu died, i've run into more intolerance and trolling jerks than i ever imagined lived on the net :( it's depressing. i'm glad at least some of us can tell the bullshit from the truth :3

[quote name='eleanor' date='18 October 2010 - 01:52 PM' timestamp='1287406343' post='701125']
I mean I think it's pretty obvious it's a video for people who already support the cause and a way to raise money
[/quote]
*Shrugs*

Still think it does more harm than good in attempting to legitimise the cause.

Is it totally wrong of me to want to see a similar "Right Wing" retort to that? Just to compare which comes across as even more idiotic.[/size][/font]

[quote name='eleanor' date='18 October 2010 - 02:52 PM' timestamp='1287406343' post='701125']
[/quote]

[font="Garamond"]So, if the Westboro baptist church was accepting donations.....

I can't agree that just because a message is aimed for the anti-homophobic movement, that the methods behind the message should be allowed a free pass. Like others have said, the message boiled down to a bunch of mindless cursing and generally lowbrow tactics used to try and spread the message. There's better, more civilized ways to spread the message.

I was a supporter of Stonewall back home in the states and it's really a great organization run by both straight and homosexual people to promote tolerance. Heck, if [url="http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/10/11/sir-ian-mckellen-to-promote-anti-homophobia-campaign-in-schools/"][u]Sir Ian McKellen[/u][/url] can be spreading peace throughout the land, then it has to be good. [/font]

[quote name='chibi-master' date='18 October 2010 - 02:40 AM' timestamp='1287366016' post='701116']
I got to the ninth person in the video and closed the window. Why would anyone think this would be helpful at all? This is not the way I want the gay mariage message to be spread. As a [b]homosexual[/b], I believe there are more effective and certainly more civilized ways to try and open peoples' minds. :pout:
[/quote]

=O. When did this happen?

I don't agree with videos like this. I'm getting married next August (Civil Partnership, whatever). I don't ask for 'support my gay cause!' or an army of gays to defend me against the homophobes - I'm not the victim of abuse, poverty or drugs. I'm gay - cheers for fighting for me, but really, there's no need.

This is an opinion I've had for a long time. It's a never ending battle but, really, society as a whole (or at least half of mine) accepts homosexuality. Videos and constant updates of 'support gay marriage on this random day for all the gay people out there' or 'wear ginger shoes today to support gay men walking around holding hands' are pointless. Just do as you do - videos like this divert from the fact a gay lifestyle is supported in general. I hate this kind of stuff.

Same sex marriage is a little part of the equation that isn't really accepted. It doesn't hurt me and I won't make a case of it - marriage as such is religious to me. Even if there was no way for me to be in a civil partnership, I love my girlfriend and I'll still be with her. No worries - I'm happy. I'm as equal as I say I am.

Things like this really make me feel less 'normal' and make me think I'm constantly fighting to be 'gay'. I'm not. And if I was, then I wouldn't put the message across as such like this video. Get a grip and stop wearing that horrible shade of pink....

[quote name='Vicky' date='18 October 2010 - 07:01 PM' timestamp='1287442865' post='701136']
=O. When did this happen?

I don't agree with videos like this. I'm getting married next August (Civil Partnership, whatever). I don't ask for 'support my gay cause!' or an army of gays to defend me against the homophobes - I'm not the victim of abuse, poverty or drugs. I'm gay - cheers for fighting for me, but really, there's no need.
[/quote]
Accepted it about 4 years ago, finally. Came out to some of the poeple closest to me last year. Scary crap happened, awesome crap happened. It was outstanding!

Congrats on your marriage/Civil Partnership!!! :biggrin:

[color="#2E8B57"]I have seen this video several times. I enjoy it for the most part, minus the super young child dropping the F-Bomb at me. I savor a shock factor and realize though that this is not so much a video for the anti-gay marriage set as it is a rallying motion for those that support it. I love that it's not just couples in the video. It's someone's mother advocating for her son, it's some kids advocating for their parents. It at least makes an effort to show that it's not just gays and lesbians who advocate gay marriage.

I do find it abrasive, and perhaps unnecessarily so, so I also saw the Hollywood entertainment factor to it. I saw that thing all over Facebook a week ago. It didn't make it to my page because I still wanted members of my family to speak to me. It is lowbrow, it is aggressive and abrasive. At this point it needs to be. Inside all of this cursing and making out they make some excellent points. 1) If people want to protect the sanctity of marriage, divorce should be harder or illegal. 2) It's okay for straight people to go through multiple spouses (they mention Rush Limbaugh being on his fourth wife) but same sex couples with a history of longevity can't have a chance? and 3) the stupidest sounding and most common sensical: If you don't want gay marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex. The first two of these go to show just how silly the argument of protecting marriage is. Divorce will never be illegal, it's an accepted reality in the world, especially America. No one expects divorce to go away, especially not the people who made this video. It's a tool to show how unfounded the argument is. Polls show the majority of Americans either advocate or don't care about gay marriage. I'm still not sure why it's a hot button issue. I guess because those that care care loudly.

If I sat at a table in a room and said, "I'm straight and I think same sex couples should be able to get married," it would not have any controversy. Period. People would accept it and go about their day, without giving their own opinion on the matter, if they have one already, a second thought. So, while I might be the only one, I like the abrasiveness of the video. [/color] Edited by Molleta

[quote name='Vicky' date='19 October 2010 - 01:01 AM' timestamp='1287442865' post='701136']
I'm getting married next August (Civil Partnership, whatever).
[/quote]When did [b]this[/b] happen, and why am I not invited?

[quote name='Lady Shy' date='19 October 2010 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1287489501' post='701151']
When did [b]this[/b] happen, and why am I not invited?
[/quote]

About three months ago, on holiday times =). Of course you're invited - you can do our photography ;D.

I will, when they're older of course, let my children steal the 'don't f*** with my gay parents!' line from this video if they want. Yes, I'm do want kiddies; I can't wait for the gay video about that one.... Edited by Vicky

[quote]I feel this is self indulgence. I can't see why saying Fckh all the time is a good catchphrase , since all the people I know who do that are stupid. Though same-sex marriage isn't always a morality issue, allowing a kid that looks about four to cuss in front of the world is something Will Farrell would do, not someone who wants to be taken seriously. The main message I get from this video was "Some people don't deserve an opinion," and it does absolutely nothing to present a valid point of view. This video is definitely not made for convincing anyone, (I mean... they are selling shirts... [/quote]

i highly doubt their market is homophobes) but they really took a stance here that looks a lot more like what they should be fighting against: intolerance, stubbornness, and idiocy.
[url=http://www.sangamgrouphotels.com]Kanyakumari tour packages[/url] | [url=http://www.sangamgrouphotels.com/register]Kanyakumari tourist spots[/url] | [url=http://www.sangamgrouphotels.com/how-to-reach-us]Kanyakumari tours and travels[/url]

[quote name='not pradap... still me' date='20 October 2010 - 06:28 AM' timestamp='1287581306' post='701182']
i highly doubt their market is homophobes) but they really took a stance here that looks a lot more like what they should be fighting against: intolerance, stubbornness, and idiocy.
[/quote]
i dont really know if this is a legitimate reply
[quote name='pradap' date='20 October 2010 - 06:28 AM' timestamp='1287581306' post='701182']
[url="http://www.sangamgrouphotels.com"]Kanyakumari tour packages[/url] | [url="http://www.sangamgrouphotels.com/register"]Kanyakumari tourist spots[/url] | [url="http://www.sangamgrouphotels.com/how-to-reach-us"]Kanyakumari tours and travels[/url]
[/quote]
looks more like a clever ad trick to me. Edited by CaNz

[quote name='Gavin' date='18 October 2010 - 12:47 PM' timestamp='1287420467' post='701129']
Is it totally wrong of me to want to see a similar "Right Wing" retort to that? Just to compare which comes across as even more idiotic.[/size][/font]
[/quote]

no, that would be kind of hilarious

You know, the biggest issue I take with that video... is the little four or five year old kid that they used. When the gimmick behind your whole thing is "**** hate", [i]don't use a little kid[/i]! Don't encourage that kind of behavior! Good gosh, people; proper parenting plz kthnx. Edited by Miss Anonymous

• 3 weeks later...
I'm gay, and I found this video horribly offensive. I curse and swear alot as well, but this... this was WRONG! Yes, we want equality, yes we want the same rights, but this just puts us back to square one. this is completely the wrong way to spread the message. Here is an excellent site dedicated to just that; the right way.

http://www.bidstrup.com/marriage.htm