OtakuBoards

Your Go To Smiley

Ellerby

[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]Everyone has one. A smiley you use nearly everyday in all sorts of situations. Wether that be in an online game, on the forums or in a text to your friends, you know the smiley I'm talking about. You use it all the time. I was talking to Lyndy and she uses :V quite a lot while I tend to use XD (or alternatively with a lowercase x) a bunch. Then I got to thinking, I bet everyone has that one go to smiley that they love to use and I'd like to know what all of yours are!

As for XD I pretty much use it at the end of every other sentence. Anytime I say something I think might be awkward I throw on XD at the end. Or if I think I may offend someone with what I'm saying I'll tack on XD. I also use it in place of "lol" a lot, which is probably a good thing.

I think I started using XD way back in 2005 when I was playing FF Online. This guy I met used to spam it to show how happy he was. Like if he found something extremely funny he would say something along the lines of "XDDDDDDDD" which I eventually started doing.

I rarely do the extended mouth thing nowadays (instead I'll add the appropriate amount of o's to lol "looooooool") but it still got me started on XD. What about you guys? I know you all have a smilie you use all the time and if I aren't sure what it is then spark of a conversation with someone and it'll come out in the first few lines I guarantee. XD

Just to throw out some guesses (and these people will have to confirm whether or not I'm right, and if I am explain why you use it) but I believe Boo uses :( a lot, while Dragon Warrior is more of a :o person. I know Kitty used to use :3 aaall the time and I'm pretty sure Anomaly is more of a =) person. My brother uses 8o) all the time which is too big for my liking but it's unique. xD

That being said, as a side question, what REGULAR smile face to you all prefer? Between :) =) =] :] :3 =3 8) and any others you can think of, which do you use? I'm more of a :] person as I like how compact it is and the square smile cracks me up, hehe.[/font][/color]

[font="Times New Roman"][color="#556B2F"][size="3"]Well, you already know that I use :V a lot, but I also tend to use :I a lot as well. I use xD every once in awhile. And here are some other every once in awhile smilies: :3, =] (I just recently started using that one since I didn't really like the =) or :) face), o-o, e_o, =D, =P, Oo, and >( quite a bit. And did I mention I use the :V face a lot? I think that is all of them. :I[/size][/color][/font]

Because of all the chat agents creating emoticons that replace the typed out ones I started using d: and q: instead of the normal :P tongue smiley.
Now I just use q: because I like it the best and almost nothing I say in chat should be taken seriously. Edited by CaNz

I tend to OCD on using the :P smiley, however, except for that one, I hardly use them. I'm more of a text person, saying "lol" even in the most inappropriate situations (and not even finding something remotely funny), as well as using "...".

You might find me SOMETIMES using the :D, D: or ._., though it's usually only in reaction to another person using smileys. Edited by Felix the Cat

[size=1][color=royalblue]I'm suddenly flashing back to AP art my senior year of high school and the lecture I gave to my class on internet emotes beyond the :) ...

I'm also quite a fan of the XD, as given by the fact that it's held up to the test of time from me. I tend to drop emotes and pick them up depending on the year, but XD (and its varients) have withstood the test of time. So I gotta give it that.

I use >> a lot, which used to be >_>, though I'll extend the underscore if needed. And since I use chat clients that enable you to turn off emoticons, I freely use :P or P: and other such things. :V is a good one, but I've almost completely abandoned :B, which I was using quite a lot last year.

Though I think my unique favorite is are from Miss Anonymous, where she coined up >8D< as an evil scheming face.[/color][/size]

[quote name='White' timestamp='1297462261' post='704874']
[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]

Just to throw out some guesses (and these people will have to confirm whether or not I'm right, and if I am explain why you use it) but I believe Boo uses :( a lot, while Dragon Warrior is more of a :o person. I know Kitty used to use :3 aaall the time and I'm pretty sure Anomaly is more of a =) person. My brother uses 8o) all the time which is too big for my liking but it's unique. xD

That being said, as a side question, what REGULAR smile face to you all prefer? Between :) =) =] :] :3 =3 8) and any others you can think of, which do you use? I'm more of a :] person as I like how compact it is and the square smile cracks me up, hehe.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

[font="Garamond"]You're pretty right but I've actually started using C: or c: more. I dunno why but I feel like it more accurately represents happiness because its just such an extreme smile. With people who aren't so emoticon savvy, thats when I would stick with =). :3 is good too for my azn friends haha, they don't ask any questions. And of course xD though I am using that one with less regularity now.[/font]

[font="Tahoma"]Here's the easy way to tell what kind of mood I'm in

:) - extremely frustrated
:(- doing the podcast
:V- Reacting to a profound statement or idea
|3- picking on Kim
B) - Picking on Alexa
:| - sleepy
:P - sarcastic bastard mode (on)[/font]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]To rip off Korey's little glossary there...

:D - Happy, or sometimes used to tack on after a silly/joking remark
8D - Gooberishly happy
:| or 8| - Annoyed
B( or B| - Also annoyed, but also used frequently if I'm being teased
.~. - Some strange default face I made, no real meaning
:V - Just a face.
P: - Likewise.
XD - Laughter. Been a fan of this one for awhile.
:B - Used to use this one a lot, but had since fallen out of favor. Once in awhile I'll use it.
:3 - Rarely use this one anymore, unless it's some super special occasion.
>>, >_>, >___> and variations thereof - Usually used to convey me feeling shifty embarrassed about something. If I REALLY wanna up the ante, I turn it into full-fledged blushing, like so >/////>
:) or =) - Super mega ultra rare from me, usually used when conveying very genuine, personal emotion. [/font][/color] Edited by Sangome