OtakuBoards

Men today...

Avalon

I know that happens everwhere way too much, but when you think about it, what's really bad is that being gay is considered an insult. The faact that many people's prefferred sexualtiy is suppossed to be bad. I'm not gay, and I don't pretend to understand it. But the people who do understand it, and who are gay, must be respected, not mocked for it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahah, I'm not saying being gay is a bad thing, what I am saying is that it's a bad thing that people use it as a derogatory insult. Yes it is offending, to me, but its not the words that matter, its the voice behind it, the way it's said. I mean, do you have any idea how annoying it is for someone to continuously goad you by saying 'Pooooofta...hey pooooofta..' when all you're trying to do is grant yourself the sublte pleasure of a cold 7up?

It's bloody annoying, that's what it is, not to mention painful.

Im not too sure about the "gay" insult and the possiblity of it not being used and the result of people accepting gays.

I allow anyone to do what they want. I dont bother people about their life style and I dont use the word gay as an insult.

But I dont think I accept "gays" any more no matter what the circumstance simply because I feel a moral objection and a "scientific" objection.

I think that if we stopped saying stuff like, "oh these men love each other, and oh their soul mates" and instead refered to the action of gay love as... (well I cant even say it on the boards with out being warned or banned),we would be even less acceptant. point is that no matter what, heterosexuals see homosexuals as odd.

Unfortunatly, theres nothing any one can do. I think the best way to get away from the problems in our culture for gays would be, well just for a start, stop waving it and pushing it in "our" faces.

We dont mind if your doing it, I just dont wanna hear it.

I also think working on acceptance is ok, but doing so by showing how different "gays" are is not the best approach. rather than that, show how similar "gays" are to the "norm". Then the bigits might start to see "gays" are people too.

Im sorry to go off on the gay subject, its just the first time Ive had the chance on the boards. sorry.

Wait a second.

I never said hetero relations should be publisized.

I dont believe in any kind of p.d.a. but thats not what i was refering to. I was refering to marchs were everyone gets in drag and starts marching around with banners, simulating sexual actions and just plain vulgar behavior.

If homosexuals want to do whatever fine. I really dont mind. I just didnt want them going out of their way to show me. Which, unargueable has been done.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Jesus Chicken [/i]
[B]I know that happens everwhere way too much, but when you think about it, what's really bad is that being gay is considered an insult. The faact that many people's prefferred sexualtiy is suppossed to be bad. I'm not gay, and I don't pretend to understand it. But the people who do understand it, and who are gay, must be respected, not mocked for it. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]That's a very level headed opinion. I'm happy to see that kind of sentiment being expressed here.

If you think about it, descrimination on any grounds is simply wrong. I mean, if you tease someone about what they wear for example...well, that's one thing. But if you tease them for [i]who they are[/i]...that's something very different. Every human being has the right to be respected, no matter what their own personal feelings/race/gender is.

But I think that's pretty self evident to most people here. It is an ignorant few who don't accept that reality.

But anyway...as far as this thread goes, it's been an interesting discussion.

As much as I'm inclined to think that we shouldn't judge a whole (or most) of a gender simply because of their gender...some generalizations [i]can[/i] be made.

I think when it comes to relationships, men do tend to be much more superficial...at least initially. And unfortunately there are a lot of bad men out there who give other men a bad name.

In truth, I think the bad men are in the minority. It's just that the bad men are talked about and publicized more than the "good men". If that makes any sense...[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]That's a very level headed opinion. I'm happy to see that kind of sentiment being expressed here.

If you think about it, descrimination on any grounds is simply wrong. I mean, if you tease someone about what they wear for example...well, that's one thing. But if you tease them for [i]who they are[/i]...that's something very different. Every human being has the right to be respected, no matter what their own personal feelings/race/gender is.

But I think that's pretty self evident to most people here. It is an ignorant few who don't accept that reality.

[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red] Prejudice or discrimination is just plain wrong in any form of matter. I find that many people who are racially and exceptionally prejudice are in most cases, ignorant. I think it is very wrong when someone will stop and say 'he's gay, I hate him', I mean, someone who says that really has something coming to them eventually in life. Because everyone has one problem or more, even though someone conveys the image that they are perfect, it should be apparent to anyone not ignorant that they, to, have a problem. Judging someone based upon how they act, what they wear, what their appearance is--is just plain wrong. I think hate is to strong of a word to express simple dislike because of envy. Some people in our society need to except the facts and become knowing of prejudice with which they are held accountable.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by \?~NoodleZ~?/ [/i]
[B][size=1]
I have to admit, before I would have said "yes" automatically to a good looking girl if she asked me out, but now I have matured a little bit. I mean, now I would like to get to know the girl better before I said "yes" or "no" to them, but on the other hand I am friends with everyone in my school so I pretty much know a lot about them as a person. Like some of my (girl) friends are snobs to other girls that aren't popular or aren't cheerleaders or anything like that. I don't encourage them to do that, but there really isn't anything I could do about them doing it. They would probably end up doing it anyway. But they don't do that much anymore, but anyway, I like to get to know a girl now. You just sorta figure out the person before saying "yes" to a pure rich snob who thinks the whole world revolves around them. It is also smarter. But I haven't been with another girl because of the recent heartbreak of my ex who dumped me for another guy. We are still friends and talk all the time.

Ok I will shut up with this boring stuff...[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

hmm, i would say the opposite, i probably would've turned down a good looking girl a while back, but now i probably would say yes...except of course, if she was a snov like you said...se, a lot of "popular girls" annoy me, but im friends with most of them, so....

of course, it couldn't be any girl, hopefully i'd know them and at least like hem as a friend or something close to it....

anyway, i probably shouldn't be saying that, if my girlfriend found out, i'd...i dunno what'd happen, let's not think about it.

:( sorry about your ex or whatever NoodleZ, that hurts..... that's happened to me a few times, when se leaves you for another kid, but it doesn't always hurt me...nerves of steal, i dunno..anyway, it really hurt one time when we had been going out for 2 months and then she went for my BEST FRIEND!!! of course, we're all still friends, so it's all good.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]
As much as I'm inclined to think that we shouldn't judge a whole (or most) of a gender simply because of their gender...some generalizations [i]can[/i] be made.

I think when it comes to relationships, men do tend to be much more superficial...at least initially. And unfortunately there are a lot of bad men out there who give other men a bad name.

In truth, I think the bad men are in the minority. It's just that the bad men are talked about and publicized more than the "good men". If that makes any sense...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree with that. That bad is always focused on more than the good. Kind of like with women: stereotypically speaking, a lot are often thought as superficial as well, thinking and caring only about clothes, if a guy has money and a nice car, if her toe polish is in, etc. While that [i]is[/i] true among some women, it's not the majority. But some people, particularly men, would have a hard time believing that because that negative (well, I find it negative) label is harped upon so much. It's a two-way street for both genders, both are misrepresented an misunderstood.

Hell yeah...
Relationships, men and women. There are always ups and downs, but it's like that with everything. But what Anna said about hearing more about the bad, then the good, it's always like that.
The media like stories or death and destruction, mayhem and choas, they seem to get more interest, I don't know why we're wired this way, but we are. Yeah, I don't think that people want to hear bad stuff about other people becuase they are insecure. I don't know why.
It just always seems to me that relationships that fall out, especially in the tabeloids and so on, are kept going alot more than the ones that stay together.
If there is a scandel and someone's having an affair with someone else, you'll hear alot more about it, then if two people have been married for 50 years.
sorry to get a bit off the topic, but we were talking about how it's generally bad press over the good, well weren't we?
oh well.