OtakuBoards

Trigun

Die

So, who do you side with?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. So, who do you side with?

• Idealistic Vash
    • Realistic Knives

I have been thinking about this for some time and have decided to post a theory I created dealing with Millie from the show Trigun.

Here is my theory: I believe that Millie may actually be a reincarnation of Rem Saverem.

[i]Reasons[/i]

1) Religious References: Since the entire show makes numerous references to various religious beliefs, reincarnation is really no stretch (especially when Wolfwood wonders about reincarnation while in the church).

2) Behavior/Beliefs: Both Rem and Millie are shown to have pure souls, and to be quite innocent. Neither of them likes death and they refuse to kill. Also the day-to-day behavior is close to the same. They are both easygoing, generally happy and can be serious if they have to.

3) Appearance: I am not sure if this was intended or not, but both Millie and Rem seem to look them same (to me at least). I noticed a number of likenesses in their hair styles.

4) A Comment: On the episode yesterday Millie made a comment about having watched Vash for a long time. This could have only meant since the first episode, but the fact that Millie could tell who Vash was rather quickly makes me believe she had been watching him a lot longer then that.

This is only a theory, and I am not 100% sure of it. Please comment on my idea, let me know what you think and show me any holes that may be found in it.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, I would hve thought that if anyone was a reincarnation of Rem then it was more likely to be Meryl. The scene in episode 25 when the guy is holding a gun to Vash and Meryl steps in with something about not taking the lives of others is clearly a parody of the incident with Rem on the ship when one of the crew members loses it and kills the woman and Rem steps in the way before he shoots Knives.

This and the fact that Meryl is the only person that Vash can talk to about himself and that she feels his pain as her own (how else could she possibly begin to understand?)

Millie has ggod morals, so I can see where youre coming from, but I think that if she were reincarnate Rem then she would have got along a lot better with Vash than with Wolfwood.

Im not saying that either definately are or defnately arent, but this is my view on the whole thing.

Well, I haven't got a chance to see much of it, but my gut nearly burst in the first or secnd episode, when he was tring to avoid the big fat bloated 'Vash' or somethin' and he avoided the bullets by scuttling among the rocks like a spider. Kinda reminded me of The Exorcist. :D

But, yeah, I think Trigun's funny as hell, but I need to see more to see it all *picks up phone to call friend to mooch Trigun off him*

Hmm. You have an interesting point Plant_Angel. I have not seen episode 25 yet (only what was on TV) so I have not seen Meryl stand between Vash and the gunman. One thing I have tought about is the fact that Meryl seems to slightly less worried about hurting others. The reason I thought of this is because of the derringers that she hides. I do not think she ever shot someone directly with them, but they are more dangerous then Millie's "stun gun".

[quote]
[b] This and the fact that Meryl is the only person that Vash can talk to about himself and that she feels his pain as her own (how else could she possibly begin to understand?)[/b]
[/quote]

The connection between Vash and Meryl is too strong (IMO) to have been like Rem's feelings. Meryl (quite obviously) loves Vash, whereas Millie (and Rem) thinks of him as a good friend.

[quote]
[b] Millie has ggod morals, so I can see where youre coming from, but I think that if she were reincarnate Rem then she would have got along a lot better with Vash than with Wolfwood.[/b]
[/quote]

Well, that might be true, but this is one hole in that theory that I can see. I do not think it was ever stated what type of man Rem had fallen in love with. It is possible he was a rebellious man that may have been her opposite. Unfortunately I do not remember what Rem said about him, so I could be wrong.

This thread has given me a new course to think about. What if both Meryl and Millie are actually Rem's great-grandchildren? I am not sure if it was ever mentioned, one way or the other, whether Rem had any children, so if she did they may have survived on another ship. This second theory has no real evidence to support it, so it will never be anything but a random thought.

I think both Millie and Meryl shares the qualities of Rem. You both have very very good points but you have to admit both Meryl and Millie each have a quality very much like Rem. Rem fell in love with someone called Alex right? At least that was his name in the manga. And I doubt Meryl and Millie is even related. When Millie writes all her family members letters, she didn't write to Meryl(well... no need to cuz shes right there), and she calls her 'sempai' which isn't what you would call a relative. I think there really isn't one reincarnation of Rem, but more like 2 'reincarnated' Rems, Millie and Meryl.

I would toss you a MAJOR spoiler about the series becoming more serious though: around the 12th episode, it becomes much more serious, although there are still some moments of incredibly funny humor involving Meryl and Millie, Vash and Wolfwood, and Kuroneko, until the 23rd episode.

After [spoiler]Wolfwood dies[/spoiler] in that episode, the series is entirely serious (save for one last bit of Kuroneko humor when he tries to steal some of Vash's doughnuts in one of the last episodes) for the last episodes "Sin," "Live Through," and "Beneath The Dark Blue Sky."

[quote]
[b]When Millie writes all her family members letters, she didn't write to Meryl(well... no need to cuz shes right there), and she calls her 'sempai' which isn't what you would call a relative.[/b]
[/quote]

That may be true, but you have to consider the fact that they might not know about the family tree. Assuming the possibility of a new generation of chilidren is born to the family every twenty years since the landing (over one hundred years earlier), both Meryl and Millie would be fifth generation. There can be a lot of seperation after five generations.

[quote]
[b]I think there really isn't one reincarnation of Rem, but more like 2 'reincarnated' Rems, Millie and Meryl.[/b]
[/quote]

There is one major hole in that idea, one soul cannot be reincarnated into two bodies at the same time, since reincarnation is the rebirth of the soul into a new physical shell (meaning a body).

I think you're onto something with the theory that Meryl and Millie are Rem's [i]fifth-generation descendants[/i], not reincarnations. Both have some direct characteristics of her, but not others, and often, not in the same person. Like Meryl has her intelligence and practicality, and Millie has her compassion and idealism.

Who knows, maybe if there ever is a sequel to the anime, this might be expanded on. . .

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MillieFan [/i]
[B]I think you're onto something with the theory that Meryl and Millie are Rem's [i]fifth-generation descendants[/i], not reincarnations. Both have some direct characteristics of her, but not others, and often, not in the same person. Like Meryl has her intelligence and practicality, and Millie has her compassion and idealism. [/B][/QUOTE]

And occasionally Millie does show that she has some of Rem's intelligence. For instance the time she saved Wolfwood from losing a chess match with only one move. Like Vash said in the first sand steamer episode, Millie is smart, she just does not realize it.

Both Meryl and Millie are also shown to have Rem's emotional strength. Even in the worst situations they are calm, and I believe Millie has the strongest will because even after losing Wolfwood she is back on her feet in a few days, when others would be depressed for a week.

You know, Im not sure if any of either of them are reincarnation. Even if they were, they might not share any of the previous character traits of the former life as Rem. They do share her 'compassion and idealism', but so do others, it was not feelings unique only to Rem. Intelligence is also a quality not unique to Rem, even though she did tend to contradict herself.

Rem decided to base Vashs haircut on that of her former boyfriend Alex, so he must have reminded her of him.

I dont think its fair to compare the anime and the manga as the anime has taken very different turns as far as the characters are concerned, though not too different as to change them entirely. In the current book, Meryl is scared out her mind of Vash and who she's realised he is.

Meryl and Millie being descendants of Rem is a little farfetched, the guy Vash goes to meet in July is related to her somehow, but he is the last link as Knives states over his dead body "now everything that brought you and Rem together is gone" Though the branches of family trees strech far and wide, they can all be traced to the beginning of time, and saying that, we are all related to each other by sharing a common ancestry.

If any character had unmistakably similar attitudes, ideals and looks as those as Rem, it would be a lot easier to say, but as it stands I think its very difficult indeed to say some one is or isnt with any degree of certainty.

Guest Pax Mayne
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Rem die in the episode "Rem Saverem" ? Now, this could be different from the manga....

If this is true, it's quite a whole in you're theory Pheonix, but you bring up a very good point

[quote]
[b]Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Rem die in the episode "Rem Saverem" ? Now, this could be different from the manga....

If this is true, it's quite a whole in you're theory Pheonix, but you bring up a very good point[/b]
[/quote]

Yes, she did die, but as I stated any children Rem may have had could have been on a seperate ship. Of course this revolves around the idea that she did have children, which was never proven or disproven.

[quote]
[b] Meryl and Millie being descendants of Rem is a little farfetched, the guy Vash goes to meet in July is related to her somehow, but he is the last link as Knives states over his dead body "now everything that brought you and Rem together is gone" Though the branches of family trees strech far and wide, they can all be traced to the beginning of time, and saying that, we are all related to each other by sharing a common ancestry.[/b]
[/quote]

IIRC correctly this site mentions that the man Vash was serching for was related to Rem through careers. As for that man being the last link that joined Rem and Vash, Knives could only say that if he did not know about any children that Rem may have had. Since Vash and Knives only spent a year on the ship (gathered from a comment made by Steve, the big guy on the SEEDS ship) it is easily possible that he would not have known.

[quote]
[b] If any character had unmistakably similar attitudes, ideals and looks as those as Rem, it would be a lot easier to say, but as it stands I think its very difficult indeed to say some one is or isnt with any degree of certainty.[/b]
[/quote]

Unfortunately, the sheer diversity of genetics makes it nearly impossible for someone to have "unmistakably similar attitudes, ideals and looks as those as Rem," especially after five generations.

Well in these last few episodes I am sensing a new element in trigun.

This is the emotion of the show.

As the season continues, I see more and more why others have said that trigun had this sort of saddness.

I would personally say that it is shaping up to be like g gundam in a way... the first half of the series is good but the second half is great. (although its slightly different for g gundam in that it is split ok/good)

Eitherway, I am just really suprised by trigun and its really because of the feelings that are being put out there due to the climatic appearance of knives and his henchmen... that and the death of a good friend from the series.

all in all, Im just gonna have to watch and wait.

But I gotta say, I am also starting to like a bit of the music from the show.

What I meant was by the way of the writers making an obvious connection for the viewer to see that a character is or isnt most certainly a Rem reincarnation, but I guess its foolhardy to assume an anime would lay out such an important theory on a plate. If it was THAT obvious Vash would notice anyway and we would have an entirely different story altogether....

Guest Vash D Stampede
Guess what, if ur not watchin Trigun:luv:, and havent seen it yet, ur missin out on the show of ur liFE!!!!!!:flaming:

[color=hotpink][size=1]Since you are new here, I guess you haven't paid much attention to the rules.

1. Posts like that are unacceptable, especially to start off a topic with.

2. Pay attention. There are already many Trigun threads, so if your topic would fit into one of those, please post there.

Please pay attention and read the rules carefully. Enjoy your stay on the Otaku.

*QA*[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Plant_Angel [/i]
[B]What I meant was by the way of the writers making an obvious connection for the viewer to see that a character is or isnt most certainly a Rem reincarnation, but I guess its foolhardy to assume an anime would lay out such an important theory on a plate. If it was THAT obvious Vash would notice anyway and we would have an entirely different story altogether.... [/B][/QUOTE]

That is why this is only a theory. There is no actual connections made, just vague references and random scenes that can be read in different ways.

If nothing else this theory has given everyone a new way of looking at things, and has provided us with something to think about.

Um, there's an episode where Rem's last living descendant was killed by Knives. It's when Vash gets his left arm shot off. So, I don't think Millie and Meryl are her descendants. Reincarnations... I'm not sure. I don't think Rem could be reincarnated, since she was killed in space, and maybe the atmosphere (they have to breathe, right?)is a barrier souls DON'T want to fight through. I have no idea.

• 2 months later...
I'm having a little trouble understanding a few things in Trigun and i was wandering if anyone could answer some of these questions for me.

1.Where does Vash get his [spoiler]Angel Arm from? Who Built it?[/spoiler]
2.WHy hasn't anyone considered a Trigun Light-Gun Game?
3. Where exactly does Knives live at?
4.Does anyone think that Millie is truly carring Wolfwoods Child?
5.Doesn't everyone hate Legato for [spoiler]making Chapel Kill Wolfwood?[/spoiler]

Please help me answer these questions, and if they are against the rules, plz tell me!:wigout:

[color=hotpink][size=1]The only thing that's against the rules is you not using Spoiler tags and almost ruining the series for someone else who hasn't seen it all the way through. Luckily for me in this case I've already HAD Trigun ruined for me. To use the spoiler tag, just type in [spoiler ] without the spaces. Thank you! *QA*[/color][/size]

[quote]1.Where does Vash get his Angel Arm from? Who Built it?[/QUOTE]

[SPOILER]It is most likely part of Vash. I.E. He was created with the arm already built in. But nobody know's for sure.[/SPOILER]

[quote]2.Why hasn't anyone considered a Trigun Light-Gun Game?[/QUOTE]

?

[quote]3.Where exactly does Knives live at?[/QUOTE]

I'd guess some lair place.

[quote]4.[/QUOTE]

It's all a matter of opinion. It's obviously hinted at it, but it's never stated for sure.

[quote]5.[/QUOTE]

We all do.
-Cyber

I read some where that [spoiler]LEgato installed the Angel Arm some how,[/spoiler] but iwant a more solid answer.

[color=red][SIZE=1]You also have to close the spoiler tags by using [/spoiler ] (without the space) - Semjaza[/SIZE] [/color]