OtakuBoards

Trigun

Die

So, who do you side with?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. So, who do you side with?

• Idealistic Vash
    • Realistic Knives

[color=#707875]But, Semjaza is only mentioning the visuals as a passing thing. He himself mentioned that it wasn't his focus. He seems more concerned about the story and character depth than anything else.

I don't know why I even posted that really...I think I just want to make sure that Semji isn't misinterpreted for some reason. ~_^[/color]

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anime is basicly a soap. Their is a main plot, then every episode their is a mini plot. So if you missed their first few. and you see a odd ball one. Then i can see being completely out of it with the storey line.
James
[quote]Yet, in the same breath, you're asking Semjaza not to think. You're asking him to look past the flaws. I can understand the whole idea of not wanting to criticize something to death...but if Trigun is encouraging you to think about its storyline, surely that only makes Semjaza's complaints even more legitimate.
[/quote]
ok you lost me their. I was talking about the story line of the anime, and also the depth of thinking involved (character drama,ect.)
i wasent talking about thinking about how the quality of the anime is. I mean the quality of the issues are in the plot. I think you read it wrong or somthing.

Well, you cant really judge one episode and point out that the show is stupid, actually it explained what that guy with the three teeth, and maybe he means by his son maybe his creation. And tell me, one of your favorite anime shows, does it make complete sense. If it does hats off you found a perfect anime. But my hat is staying on, no anime can be perfect, Im not saying not to think about the bad, or not to show your own opinion. Just try thinking about the storyline and characters not the quality of drawing.

[color=royalblue]I watched the full Japanese versions, cursing, violence, blood, gore and all, and that infamous black cat.

The animation could be worse I suppose, it advances quite far in the latter episodes, especially when the Angel Arms come into play. Which are animated superbly, and are quite unsettling.

His friends get over themselves eventually. Meryl grows up and losens up slightly, Millie loses her innocence belive it or not, and Wolfwood shows character. Alot of character. In fact, my friend and I bawled our eyes out during one of the later episodes. Legato is very....there is no word to describe him. And the animation of him is awesome. So is the concept art on the special edition DVDs, which I reccomend.

Trigun moves very slowly in the beggining, which is why DVDs always are better than sitting around waiting for Cartoon Network to get a move on it. If you think the last ten episodes are dull, you must be jaded beyond all reason.[/color]

I've been watching anime since I was like 7... and that's not counting random goofy stuff that just happened to be made in Japan. I'm talking stuff like Macross: Do You Remember Love? and Vampire Hunter D. That was 14 years ago now. I know anime well enough to know what to expect and what not to. I'm not going into this thinking that it must be perfect, it isn't like that. I know what to expect with anime, on many levels.

I get the impression that many people here think I don't really watch or know anything about anime. I've had people say that to me too. It's rather far from the truth.

On top of that, based on my personality and posts in general.... can anyone ever back up the idea that I don't give things a chance? Or that I jump to conclusions based on very little? I'd say in very few circumstances. That's not something in my blood really, and I don't think I should be called out on that.

I've seen about 10 episodes of this show, and it never seems to get any better. It seems to have the same appeal as DBZ... goofy action with supposed character depth, that in my opinion, isn't really there. Sure, they have personalites, but they're so one dimensional, it doesn't even matter. Of course, I'm sure I've not seen these final episodes you all are going on and on about, so I'll have to see those before I make a real, final decision.

I'm not even sure what some of you are going on about at this point. My compaints with the visuals and dubbing were minor ones. I said that in the first place. I find the characters themselves, based on the 10 episodes I've seen, to be very flat, and basically annoying. As for the three teeth guy, I don't think any amount of backstory can make up for how incredibly [i]lame[/i] he is.

This isn't about an anime being perfect. Everything has flaws. I'm just not seeing what makes this something that is apparently well above average in the eyes of a good deal of people here. I go from Trigun to Cowboy Bebop and it's like going from a pile of dog crap to the ambrosia of the gods. I just don't get what is so special about this show.

If you guys love it, that's great. I have no problem with that, and I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise. I just want to know what people think is so great just incase I'm just not getting something. Based on what I've read so far, I'm guessing Xai said it best. It's just not my cup of tea, so to speak.

Like I said before, I'll have to look into the supposedly best episodes you keep mentioning.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]This isn't about an anime being perfect. Everything has flaws. I'm just not seeing what makes this something that is apparently well above average in the eyes of a good deal of people here. I go from Trigun to Cowboy Bebop and it's like going from a pile of dog crap to the ambrosia of the gods. I just don't get what is so special about this show.
[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I really don't think too highly of Trigun either. I have seen every episode, and I really don't think that the final episodes are that great. Legato was an interesting charecter, but his presence does not make the whole series worthwhile.

I think that they did a horrible job with plot and charecter development. My main problem lies with the charecter of Vash. I would have enjoyed the story line better if Vash had been a monster at one point in time, or at least had a bit more of a checkered past. Besides that, it seems like the charecters all develop or grow in one pivotal episode...I really hate that.
[/color]

[color=hotpink][size=1]*Raises her hand* I didn't see Trigun on Cartoon Network. And I was mad whenever I heard it would be aired...anywho.

I liked it because it was funny. Vash was so insane and stupid and so I enjoyed watching it with my younger sisters. Especially the episode with the ketchup. There are always random and zany things going on. Later on in the series when it gets more mature, I just sort of slid out of that. I was more into the comedy aspect. But I do like it...Not as much as I used to, mind you.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by AutoKill [/i]
[B]
ok you lost me their. I was talking about the story line of the anime, and also the depth of thinking involved (character drama,ect.)
i wasent talking about thinking about how the quality of the anime is. I mean the quality of the issues are in the plot. I think you read it wrong or somthing. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#707875]Nope, I read it right.

How do you measure the quality of anime? Forgetting visuals for a moment, you would normally measure it by plot and character development. That's what Semjaza's doing.

His main points of criticism relate to plot and character issues. You just said earlier on that he shouldn't think too much about it...that he shouldn't be overly-analytical. And yet, you then said that Trigun is an anime that makes you think. It encourages you to think about its story.

So, you can't have it both ways. Semjaza [i]is[/i] thinking about its story, that's what he's analysing here. And that's the element that he takes issue with. He's not simply saying "the animation is ugly so I hate it". He's trying to critique the fundamentals of the series.[/color]

As good an argument both sides have, I have to admit that I really see no point in this post. If someone doesn't like something, they don't like it, and most of the time, no matter how much they see of it, it doesn't change. It just isn't their style. It seems a bit pointless to try and convince someone that Trigun is worth watching if, in their perception, it isn't. This could just go on forever.

[COLOR=blue] I choose Vash. I do believe that there could always be another way than a death, and that no one has the right to take anothers life. And death is unfortunite in any case because, there will always be someone that gets hurt by it physically(of course) and others that will get hurt emotionally.[/COLOR]

How can you not like Johny wong Bosh's voice?!

Anyway, the reason I like it is because of the plot and the story line. Sure the dub is horrible, that's why Nerdsy buy's the DvD's. I say the Japanese ones are better. Though I do like Johny Wong Bosh's voice, it always makes me laugh.

Though I do hate Maril's voice in it, the english version, it just sound's so lame.

The character design can be weird, somewhat like Rouruni Kenshin. Like the faces can go all weird and stuff. I say Vash is like Kenshin, he can be all serious then his face just goes square or the eyes, it makes me laugh.

So that is the reason I like it. Although I have only seen about 4 to 5 episodes I can't remember. But yes out of those epeisodes I think it is a fairly good anime.

But we all have different opinions.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo [/i]
[B]As good an argument both sides have, I have to admit that I really see no point in this post. If someone doesn't like something, they don't like it, and most of the time, no matter how much they see of it, it doesn't change. It just isn't their style. It seems a bit pointless to try and convince someone that Trigun is worth watching if, in their perception, it isn't. This could just go on forever. [/B][/QUOTE]

The point was me seeing what is so great about it and why people feel the way they do. I'm not asking for anyone to convince me one way or the other. I want to know [i]why[/i], and I'm not going to get anywhere unless I ask, am I? I'd say not.

It was also a question or whether or not it ever gets better, even in the opinion of those who love it. Even they have to have favorite episodes and opinions on whether or not the series improves.

I said in my last post that I hadn't even made a final decision yet, and I would watch more of it. It's possible to change your mind on something when you see all sides of it, you know. Forgive me for wanting to be well rounded on the subject and hear other opinions lol.

Anyway, I could ask what the point of posting a post that asks what the point is. It goes in a circle lol. It's just as rhetorical.

[FONT=arial]hmmmm, where to start.....

the Japanese va's are overall better than the dub va's, but I personally like the dubbing more than the original voices. I thought for the most part they did a pretty good job on picking the main characters' voice actors (except for Meryll *blegh* and maybe Knives, I'm not too fond of his voice. but that's just a personal nitpick).

Bosh did really well, I thought. he didn't make Vash sound as serious (or monotone, imo) as the Japanese va when he did Vash's voice, since in front of everybody Vash is [i]supposed[/i] to sound crazy as all get out, and he did a good job doing that. and he still did well in the more serious moments, too.

but the minor characters voices really bother me. just plain out bad voice acting *vomit*.

but besides the minor characters that make one or two appearances throughout the series, the people are half the reason why I watch it. I absolutely love Vash, Wolfwood and Legato. the only people that get on my nerves are Meryll and Millie, cuz Meryll is a pain in the butt, and Millie just .......aggravates me. needs a good kick in the rear to get her brain in gear *rhyme-ness*.

I don't care much for the first half of the series compared to the last half, though some of the episodes from that part in the series were pretty good or funny. the minor fights here and there that Vash gets in were just filler a lot of the time, and during one or two episodes I was counting down the minutes until it was over so I could get to watching some decent episodes. the last half is what makes up for it for me.

[quote]...I'm not even sure what some of you are going on about at this point. My compaints with the visuals and dubbing were minor ones. I said that in the first place. I find the characters themselves, based on the 10 episodes I've seen, to be very flat, and basically annoying. As for the three teeth guy, I don't think any amount of backstory can make up for how incredibly lame he is....[/quote]
oooh, that guy is annoying! I'm pretty sure he was supposed to come off looking/sounding lame in this case though, lol. it's just some of the other minor characters that [i]aren't[/i] supposed to sound stupid that particularly aggravate me. but I got used to it after awhile, so now I don't notice it as much anymore. plus, you got the 'bad' half of the series, so to speak, lol. not sure what all you've seen, but most everything from Legato onward is a lot better. you kinda have to watch the episodes consecutively to get a feel for it all, or else it won't hold your attention. at least, that's how it was for me, anyway ^_^'.
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]for some sweet, sweet lovin'. meh.
actually, I just got tired of seeing some people (can't remember anyone specific at the top of my head) with stuff like "Married to [spoiler]nobody[/spoiler] on [spoiler]never[/spoiler]," so on and so forth, with a line after it going something like "[spoiler]I need to get married. Anybody, please! PM me.[/spoiler]". actually, now that I've been looking around for who those people were, they either changed it, or they haven't come on lately. but oh well.

anywho, so I won't get in trouble for straying off-topic...
there's 26 episodes. the one with the old three-tooth dude was.....*looks on Yahoo and finds out theOtaku had a Trigun section ^_^'*..... episode 5, I think. not sure when Legato shows up for the first time, but I think it's about 5 episodes later, maybe. [/FONT]

Throughout the entire series [spoiler], and in the final showdown between Vash and Knives, [/spoiler] there's the theme that one must do as little damage as possible; this sits alongside of the more absolutist theme of "never kill anyone." Re-watching Episode 17, "Rem Saverem," really crystallized this for me. [spoiler]Rem says something to the effect that if you hurt someone you have to do all you can to undo the damage. This idea goes along with her similar ideal (I forget the wording) that doing the smallest injury you have to do is okay, you just have to turn around and see the future. Sure, this contradicts both her and Vash's shock at Knives's crushing of the spider, but for her I think it was just that, shock. I think Rem's lost words to Vash as the escape pod hatch was closing was something like, "Do what you have to, Vash. Make up for it later."[/spoiler]

And that is the central conflict of the series, whether Vash should obey Rem's absolutist "never kill" policy or give in to pragmatism. [spoiler] In the (I think) second-to-final episode Vash realizes that Rem was a moralist, sure, but also a realist. In the end he realized that Rem was far more complicated then he always thought -- and that's a great legacy for her to have. Vash's gunfight with Knives was therefore a celebration of Rem's beliefs, not a violation. [/spoiler]

• 3 weeks later...
I like Trigun lots... I agree that Vash should be less goofy, he annoys me alittle because he is so goofy.

I love Wolfwood!!! He's my fave. He's dark, stylish and mysterious, and he's got that awsome cross. He is also williing, in fact has no problem with going the extra step that Vash absolutely refuses. He's see's that in the setting of this story that sometimes there is just no way around killing some to save the masses.

The show is absolutely charming and enthralling. It's definitely one of my favorites.