• Idealistic Vash
    • Realistic Knives

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mermaid
Hey, Molleta ... :)

Well, as an adult viewer (not sure what the average age of people here are), Trigun's blend of humor and drama reeally appeal ... as does the fact that Vash is such a complex character. You?

[color=indigo]I think that Trigun is mediocre at best. The art work has some moments of absolute brilliance but it also is blotchy and choppy at some points. The music is typical, neither bad nor good, but it sometimes seems out of place in certain segments. I am not a big fan of the story line, mainly because they don?t develop the characters that well, all of the characters are pretty one dimensional with the exception of Wolfwood. I never found the goofy scenes even remotely humorous but the action scenes did have some redeeming value.[/color]

Heaven's Cloud thats a bit harsh!

Or are you trying to make an argument.........?

I think Trigun is great entertainment, Vash is a great character (similarities to Kenshin aside) and the rest of the cast are mostly really well realised. The humour is great (more especially when watching with friends), and the characters are great fun, even if you feel they are nothing else. Considering how much they had to chop and change from the manga storyline to fit its 26 episodes, I think it did rather well on the issues it left in and even those it added.

The goofyness is fun, but I think it also adds to the later moods the show (tries in some cases) to get across. Just recently though I did see the Samurai X Trust Betrayal and Reflections, Kenshin seems to have the same ideas......now THATS an emotional anime.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by hansolowannabe [/i]
[B]Hey, Mermaid. Where'd you get your avatar? That is super phat, yo. [/B][/QUOTE]
Only post things that are going to contribute to the discussion. If you want to chat with someone in particular, I suggest simply PMing them. As this is not your first offense with the rules, I also ask that you please read them as soon as possible in the highest forum on the main page. Thanks.

[color=crimson]Hmmm...Trigun. I have only ever seen the first episode. I would really like to finish the show though. I thought the love of doughnuts thing was cute. From what I have seen of other episodes, the story is good, characters are great, plot twists, humor. All good stuff in my opinion.

~Lumi ^_^[/color]

I never really thought that Trigun hit it's stride until the final few episodes. I thought the parts in the first few episodes were humorous, but the story wasn't really going anywhere. It felt much too random (and not random in a good way like Cowboy Bebop).

The final few episodes are what sold Trigun in my opinion. They're full of action and drama and can really hook you into the show. It's too bad that the whole series isn't like this, however. The show really does have tons of potential; it's just that most of it wasn't used, unfortunately. I think it's a good anime but not great.

[color=hotpink][size=1]*Sighs deeply and does not comment about Syk3*

Well, I happen to like the music in the series more than anything. It seems so different to me. I have the American soundtrack and sometimes I just listen to it for the heck of it.

I don't know, Charlie, to each his own. ^_^

And yes, like someone else said, we already had a Trigun forum, but it wasn't doing too well. Well, it was doing fine, but subforums just don't live like they should, in my opinion.[/color][/size]

[color=hotpink][size=1]The American CD you can buy just about anywhere, as it released by TokyoPop. I got it for about $12. It's pretty good. Sure, it doesn't have ALL the songs on it, but it's got the decent ones. Too bad I don't have "H.T. Destructive Angel" remix. *Shrugs*[/color][/size]

I agree that Heaven's Cloud is a bit harsh, but some decent points are made... I agree that a lot a char. (especially meryl) are very cardboard. But in some episodes, like last nights, Vash's depth shows through. I find that a lot of Vash's character is lost between the manga and the anime. I still prefer Bebop, but Trigun definitely ranks for me!

P.S. Mermaid, I like you avatar too.

[color=indigo]Harsh? I said it was mediocre not horrible. I can think of at least a dozen anime series with better artwork, a dozen series that are funnier, a dozen series with superior action scenes, a dozen series that do a better job with character development (which, [b]in my opinion[/b], is the worst aspect of this show?the series could have been a phenomenal story of Vash?s self discovery but in the end Vash was good Knives was evil, the lines were as simple as those drawn in DBZ), and I can think of quite a few series that surpass Trigun in every one of these aspects. It is not the worst series I have ever seen, I just fail to see why so many of you think it so excellent.[/color]

I withdrawl my version of the harsh remark, heaven's cloud, as a have slight tenancies to agree that it is quite simple, black/white, where's the gray, the man vs. self, some internal struggle. I guess they kind of portay this in the fact that Vash is always trying to appear as just a guy, a human, and he is trying to get beyond what he is...maybe

I also am not a huge fan of the animation. It, in my opinion, is a little lower end. The show though still pulls me in, I think it's Millie... hehehe

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B][color=indigo] It is not the worst series I have ever seen, I just fail to see why so many of you think it so excellent.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]It's because the amount of anime that the majority of people here have seen is minimal. If it doesn't come on CN or network TV, chances are, they haven't seen it.[/color][/size]

You make an excellent point, Queen Asuka. I have a pointed lack of opportunity to experience a great variety of anime, as the closest good store is in Kansas City, a scant 3 hour drive away from where I am. **sniffles sadly** Not to mention, as with many people i have found, I have no on eto watch it with cuz my friands just don't get it.

[font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue]Well, I've seen a lot of anime, the majority being stuff that Americans are just getting to see for the first time, and I can completely assure you that Trigun is one of the best anime series ever made.

It may lack in animation quality, but the series itself is one of the most cleverly executed ones around. First of all, its transition from being a comedy/action series to a drama/action is outstanding. Comedic moments are [i]truly hilarious[/i], yet they fit perfectly well with the atmospheric tension of each episode. Sure, you may think Cowboy Bebop is a similar example, but Bebop is broken up in stories, and the comedic value of them can only be found in a comedy-intended or lighthearted episode. There was never a moment where laughter was included during heavy scenes, and understandably so... pulling off something like making you laugh out loud in an intensified, plot-driven episode and then magically pulling you back into the seriousness of the situation is virtually impossible. Trigun achieved it smoothly... again, again and again.

Trigun's enviable uniqueness is also accomplished thanks to its main character, Vash The Stampede. It's amazing how an audience can relate to such an unrealistic character. You won't find a single Vash in this world. Not a single one... yet people can relate to him, care about him, and defend his controversial views on people, life and death. A character completely determined to not kill anyone, in an understandable yet unexplainable way unlike that of Himura Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X. He simply won't kill, and he's deeply saddened, like a child, when it occurs. The fact that he's an excellent "fighter" in the Western sense, he chooses to go for peace. Even his desire to not allow anyone to die serves as a subliminal message to the viewer in allowing them to be shocked and saddened when death does occur in the story. An anime show's, or any entertainment media for that matter, greatness lies in the strength of the connection it serves with its audience. Then we have the opposite, the EXACT opposite... Knives. Both characters show the extremes of the human heart without presenting themselves as either cheesy or repetitive (Which cannot be said for the countless other anime with "Good vs. Evil" themes.)

It draws you in like only a few stories would. All its elements fit and work together to deliver a pleasant yet emotional experience; and this is coming from a guy who:

a) Grew up with Mexican-dubbed anime (As perfect as dubbing/voice acting can be. America/England/Canada aren't getting near them in quality, and it doesn't look like they will for a very long time.)

b) Is biased AGAINST English-speaking dubbing.

c) Watches all his anime in Japanese audio with subtitles.

d) Has watched Trigun ONLY in Cartoon Network.[/color][/font]

Wow! A lot so many good points! I agree with HC and with Cyke. Vash is a bit unrealistic, but also very realistic. He has a very complicated life. Does that sound farmiliar? It's only in most cartoons, movies, TV shows, etc. Trigun is very unique, but also the same as everything else.

It's hard to interperet this in an understandible way, but Trigun is one of the most complicated shows I've ever seen. The characters are very well explained, except for Meryl and Millie. It's as if they're only accessories to the show. They're important characters and need a bit more attention. Are they more important in the manga?

I hope this doesn't offend you, but I have a sort of religious explanation of the between Vash and Knives. It's sort of like Vash is God and Knives is Satan. They're exact opposites, in almost every way. Vash doesn't want to kill, and Knives sees that killing is what helps people and things survive. Vash solves most of his problems on his own, while Knives sends people to do his dirty work. I think I have a second opinion of the God and Satan thing, but it doesn't seem right. Vash is the goody-two-shoes and Knives is the realist.I think I get it now.

The fact that Trigun can easily shift from comedy to drama is very amazing. Yu-gi-oh can also do that. What a rare thing that is. It's like a super power for a show. If I could, I would give an example of such an amazing thing.

You probably wouldn't believe that all of this came from a person who has to watch most of her favorite animes on CN. I guess I just have a lot to say. I can't give a true opinion about Trigun, unless I just did.

Actually, Trigun does have alot of themes to it... it's just that most of them are subtle. Very subtle. If anyone wants to read what Imean, look at ww.theotaku.com's articles of trigun: They're very good. There's alot of moral and even religious themes in it, for example that green apple that guy WolfWood knows, who was his teacher, carries. it's all in the articles at the site, so go there. Be enlightened, if you will.

Guest outoftime
hellooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! i luv trigun! *points to name* I am new and this is my first post soooooo...i really have no clue what I'm doing but I denfinently know I like trigun. I think that what vash says has a lot of truth to it......Well must be on my way! TRIGUN ROCKS! WOLFWOOD ISH THE BEST!

Wow, I remember being that new...
Anyway, as you can see, I'm a big Trigun fan as well. I don't have cable and haven't seen a lot of animé myself, but Trigun just kinda picked me up really quickly. The funny thing was, I didn't think I was going to like it at first. Perhaps I don't mind having characters who are little more black and white. (I didn't really like Evangelion. That whole series was just screwed up.) I liked the idea of Vash being a different species who wanted so badly to just mix with humankind. I agree with the religious thing, he's sort of like Jesus (for all the Christians out there). He consents to live like the humans and live among them (Okay, so by Catholic doctrine Jesus truly became human, but that's beside the point.) Knives (like Lucifer) saw in humankind corruption and imperfection. Instead of choosing to help them and find the good in them, he chose to kill them.
I know a lot of ppl have said that Meryl and some of the other characters don't have much depth and are really just supporting characters, but I like them anyways. I think it's really cute the way she goes through most of the series pissed off at Vash and ends up loving him in the end. (I'm a sucker for the love-hate relationships.) Duorocks17 is also a big fan of Knives. We've spent a lot of time discussing his character and motivations.
Some of the animation weirds me out (like when they make weird faces) but I really like the music. I like the sort of neo-western feel it has. (Sometimes like John Wayne meets hard rock)
I don't know if I'm even making sense anymore. I think i've been writing for too long.
~Goddess of the Night~