OtakuBoards

How much do you pay to look good...

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=darkviolet]...and what's your limit?

I had to get this topic up today because I just got back from paying $125.00 plus tip for getting my zebra striped hair color corrected, highlighted and cut. This makes me wonder what other people are willing to pay or how much do people pay to make themselves either look or feel good.

As for me I pay anywhere from $10.00-$16.00 for eyeshadow,because I like Stila and Clinique so much. Plus I think they stay on better. However, I don't pay too much for lipstick, mascara or most other make-up. I usually buy those things at drug stores.

Sometimes when I feel like it I pay about $25.00 plus tip for getting my nails done and once in a great while I get a pedicure.

With make-up I usually stay in a budget, but if I really want it, I'll buy it if I have teh money.

As for clothes and accesories-I don't spend too much. But for mother's day this year I'm getting a Coach bag.

Well, I admitted to my stuff, what about you?[/color]

I don't pay a single cent. Of course, I'm a guy so that's expected, but I haven't even gotten a haircut in over a year and I've probably been wearing the same pair of pants for almost six months, definately at least four months.

But that's just me.

I'm obsessively thrifty, especially when it comes to my appearance. I have sworn my alleigance to Old Navy, drugstore cosmetics and barbershop haircuts. As long as I feel comfortable with my appearance, and am at least marginally presentable, I see no reason to spend extra money to try and correct my obvious lack of physical attractiveness. That realism, I've found, is a powerful budgeting tool.

My favorite boots are from K-Mart. I usually just buy All-Stars for $30 otherwise. Most of my shirts are just band shirts and a good deal of those are used off of eBay. I pay maybe $4 for most of them. I wear ski caps and fitted baseball hats usually, so I don't even bother fixing my hair. I get my hair cuts for free. Recently, I've just been cutting off the excess myself because I'm trying to grow it out. I'm not concerned with that stuff. I don't feel I dress badly, considering.

I think the most I spend on anything for my appearance is probably hair dye overall.

[color=green][size=1]

I wear mainly name brand clothes, but I'm not going to pay $100 bucks for a pair of jeans or sneakers. My main outfits are usually blank solid color tee's, jersey's, and a collection of Chaps shirts. I pretty much only wear Reeboks, thats my 'thing'. I'm the Reebok guy.

I style my hair alot, unless I'm wearing a hat, which is usually either a beanie or fitted hat. So, in all, my outfits usually cost about $60 bucks a peice, but I don't go shopping much more than twice a year, so its like a special occasion when I got money to blow.[/color][/size]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy]I pay 35 dollars to get my hair braided in straight backs (cornrows) but hey its better then walking around with an bush out, and I pay that ever 3 weeks. I pay 32 dollars for 2 months worth of contacts. As for cloths I get my cloths mostly from Value City and Forman Mills and they have alot of discounted stuff, I usuall wear white,blue, or black T's and there not that expensive and my jeans cost anywhere from 20-50 dollars. Thats all actually, im a male so I dont have to spend much on vanity.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial Narrow]What I pay for clothing varies. If its something I've been looking for for ages (like GOOD black jeans) I'll buy them no matter the cost. Otherwise I buy stuff under thirty dollars a lot of the time. I like getting designer t-shirts though, especially those with some kind of sarcastic message. They usually set me back some.

As for what I spend on my hair... err... shampoo and conitioner? I don't style my hair or get regular haircuts. I'm too lazy.

~CrH~

EDIT: 'I'm a guy' don't cut it. Just because you have a penis doesn't mean you have to look like a complete and utter redneck. It shits me when people use 'I'm a guy' to wear clothes twenty years old (and thus ripped to shreds) or disgustingly ugly.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

For a girl, I am rather....well odd with the way I spend my money when it comes to my appearence. I don't wear any make-up at all. I usually get my hair cut once a year or every two years. Even then, I mostly wear my hair up in a pony tail from a day to day basis. Last time I bought nail polish was three years ago. It is black nail polish that I wear every so often. It only costed me thirty cents.

When it comes to clothes, I wear my jeans until they get a hole in them. I have only three pairs of jeans, and I had them for like five months now. T-shirts, I have a bunch of Hawaiian, Asian, Old Navy, extreme sport companies, Christian, and GAP t-shirts that are real cheap. Even then, I don't buy my t-shirts, or my jeans or even my shoes. My mom buys them for me still. heh. My shoes are just male style New Balance all terrain shoes. I only own those a pair of flip flops. That is all. I don't have much else. I am not poor or anything, I just don't like to waste my money on things that I don't really need.

Though I do have one weak point. I love hooded sweatshirts. They are my most favorite kind of clothing article. I have about eight in total, and I wear them just about everyday.

The biggest portion of my "beauty budget" goes toward my hair and clothing. I spend about $200 (including tip) every 5 -6 months on a shampoo/color/cut/style and product. My color is just red highlights in my black hair so it grows out very well. I don't have to get it colored as much as those blondes with dark roots. My product would include hairspray, mousse, shampoo and conditioner. I figure I make up for the amount my hubby doesn't spend on his hair. He bought some clippers about 8 years ago for $20 and shaves off all his hair. He keeps it super short. That was the last time he spent money on his hair.

My clothing budget is much higher than that of my hair. I spend about $500 every 6 months. I am the office manger for a medical office and need to look "professional". Lots of suits, slacks, skirts, blouses.....very conservative adult clothing. Today I decided I would go for a bit of a "hitman" look. I have a red button up shirt under my pinstriped suit. All I need now is a flower on my lapel and a violin case. :laugh:

As for make-up my budget is $0. I don't wear any make up. No lipstick, cover up, eyeshadow...nothing. I have a tube of chapstick for the winter but I don't really consider that make up. I have never been into make up and from what my friends and family tell me I don't need it. Plus, I have seen too many people who don't know how to put make up on correctly and look like clowns! I definately don't want to be that person!

I have never had my nails done or gone to a spa. When I was working with the animals as a vet tech you couldn't have long nails since they would get in the way of restraining animals. Plus long nails have a tendency to poke out of surgery gloves! Can't have that! I haven't had long nails in ages because of that.

My husband says he is very lucky to have a girl like me. Compaired to his friends' wives I spend very little on "girl" stuff like hair, clothes, nails and make-up. Oh, I do wear contact lenses. I am not sure if that is a "beauty" type item or more like a medical appliance since I have to have vision correction to see? That part of my budget would be approximately $100 a year. That would include solution, cleaning kits and case. Lucky for me my insurance covers the cost of the lenses.

That about sums it up for me. I am pretty much a no frills kind of girl. Just hair and clothes for me!

My budget as a boy *turns on ditsy mode*:

About 50 bucks a year on my hair XD. I have light brown highlights with my dark black soooooo yeah. Also the shampoos and haircut, all those things.

Old Navy is my main place for my clothes. I go for a denim look. I spend 100 bucks PER YEAR on clothes. Unlike any of you guys XD. My main outfit is blue denim jacket with a red or white shirt. ALso the blue pants!

If I don't have a jacket avalible, a red hooded sweatshirt will do :). Like so comfortable :P.

I spent around $150 on my clothes at the beginning of the school-year and plan to wear these clothes for the rest of high school and most of college, until I grow out of them. They're mostly not name brand, I have a few JNCO pants, but that's all I think. I have 2 pairs of nice, normal jeans. I have 1 pair of baggy jeans. I have 1 pair of kakhi/baggi jeans, and I have 3 basketball outfits. My shirts consist of a few button-up shirts that I leave unbuttoned to show the white shirts underneath.

My hair always has a different style. Not until my last haircut did I find something that I actually enjoyed. Long hair didn't look good on me, neither did spikes or a bush. Now I have a fade and blonde streaks, and that's the way it's going to stay, definately. I haven't worn gel in it for about 2 or 3 months though, because I ran out like 2 days after I got my hair done. I really should buy some more.

[color=indigo]I don't really pay anything, other than when I bought a package of hair ties when I first started wearing my hair long in a ponytail. And those have yet to run out. And for clothes, my parents still buy by clothing for me since I'm still in highschool and have no income, but I don't really pick out anything fancy. Black jeans/blue denim shorts, t-shirts, and a few overshirts is basically all I wear. The most expensive piece of clothing I own is my leather jacket, which I got for Christmas. And the longer the time between haircuts, the better; I've always found them annoying.

I'm happy with the way I look, without spending a ton of money on superficialities. Also, I'd rather spend the money on other things.[/color]

[b]Edit:[/b]

[color=seagreen]Oh yeah, I guess I forgot to mention my shoes. Basically, I've always just worn my shoes until they either no longer fit, or were so worn out that they no longer protected my feet properly. Until now, that is, since my feet seemed to have stopped growing much.

Right now I've got two pairs of shoes; my boots and my running shoes. My boots, I picked out at K-Mart and they were somewhere around $30 on sale I think. They're a good, sturdy pair of leather, steel-toed workboots, which I've had for about a year now, and they look like they'll last for at least several more. (The pair I had before my current ones, which were the same kind only smaller, lasted about two years before I outgrew them). As for my running shoes, my mom insisted that I get a pair a couple years ago for PE related things. I had just been running and whatnot in my boots, and they were comfortable enough, although a bit heavy. So those weren't even my idea.[/color]

I waste nothing on my appearance. As far as hair care and beauty products, clothes and stuff like that my parents and sister are generous enough to buy me all of that. The most a hair cuts ever cost me is $30 and I dye my hair at home because my mom knows how. I don't wear enough make-up to make it some huge expense and I'm a bit too lazy to dress up too often. I have nice designer things, but they're not everyday things. When my mom's feeling generous she'll buy me a $50 shirt and I'll be in shock for months to come and doing lots and lots of chores to repay her. In any case, I waster far more money on books if anything so yes.

Although I pick out just about everything I wear, my parents buy it all for me...but I don't really have any expensive clothing or anything. My most expensive shirt was probably bought for $5, my most expensive shorts and pants for maybe $15 or $20. I tend to wear everything I have until I outgrow them or they get so worn down that I can't wear them anymore (which is the case with my shoes a lot of the time lol). Shoes, I maybe buy a new pair once a year. I don't spend more than $30 on a pair of shoes and they last just as long as the expensive shoes some of my friends buy. Spending a ton of money on a pair of shoes seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Then again, I spend quite a bit of money on video games, so I probably shouldn't talk lol.

Any extra stuff, like hair-care products (outside of shampoo) and other stuff like that, I just don't buy. I don't really have a use for it.

[size=1][color=darkred]My family is kind of poor. Well not poor, but not well off. So, no really expensive stuff [or lots of it] for me. Most of my stuff is Big-W. I have a few [2] Quicksilver T's, some nice jeans, some cheap denim shorts. Lots of other stuff. I got a pair of $50 Slazenger sneakers. Normally my hair costs about $12 to do, and I get it cut...once a month? Maybe less than that even.

I'm not a big spender, but I'd definitely like more brand-name stuff. Also, keep in mind that the aforementioned prices are AUD...not USD.[/size][/color]

[size=1][color=red] I pay nothing to look good. I already look good, so thus there's no reason to worry.

I could care less what I look like anymore. I do excerise. I go for walks. I do shower. I do that habitual gobbledegook.

I'll be wearing my Pink Floyd [i]The Wall[/i] T-shirt all this week. It's got a hole in the armpit, but I don't care. . .it's not a big hole and it doesn't show. This shirt's pretty much a rag. My mom told me she's going to wipe her butt with it the next time she needs to drop. I don't think so. This shirt's not leaving this man's body. Nuh-uh. Not until I get a new shirt.

I've also been wearing the same jeans for about seven days. I could care less. They're still clean. Good enough for me.

I had my hair growing long, but I got a haircut. I liked my hair longer better. But it's not so annoying anymore so it's all good.

At times I think I'm ugly. Other times I think I'm good looking. In the end, I don't care. As long as I'm something. And as long as I have my Pink Floyd T-shirt and my music. Then I'm fine and I'm beautiful.[/size][/color]

[color=teal]*sigh*

Money for clothes, money for makeup, money for shoes... It's difficult getting all of that stuff. I try my best not to be materialistic, since I don't have much money to begin with. I want new stuff, but my financial situation won't allow it.

Otherwise, I'd be a moderate spender. [/color] :)

[size=1]I'm a thrift shop girl.

For example, yesterday at Value Village, I found this tacky white plastic-canvas bag with yellow and orange designs on it. I love it, and it's so cool I might even consider using it as a purse. ...Albeit a large, tacky, bulky purse. And carrying a bag around all the time woud probably drive me nutters--but there's no reason I couldn't try. It [i]is[/i] such a cool bag.

I love orange.

Okay, so yeah, I was talking about my shopping habits. Pretty much, in fact, [i]what shopping habits?[/i]

The only time I wear make up is for drama. My clothes are usually triple clearance at Kohl's Department Store (I love clearance--everything's all thrown together, and you get to hunt through for what you want--It's like an adventure!) or occasionally something I like at a thrift shop or rummage sale. (It's rummage season again, too. I can hardly wait.)

Hair care gets tricky. My hair is bugger thick, and I've snapped a couple brushes in half while trying to go too quickly through my hair. I usually keep it pulled back (especially during the summer), but I go through ponytail holders like you wouldn't believe, either. If I don't break 'em, I lose 'em. But all is resolved with a trip to the Dollar store. On the rare occasion that I want my hair cut or trimmed, my mom is happy to do it for me.

So I don't know. I guess it never really occured to me to spend a lot of money on how a look. Life's so much fun, doing things this way. [/size]

I am normally not a big spender, but when I do decide to buy clothes/shoes/etc., I can spend quite a bit of cash. For example, right now I have on a beige $40 Nike sweater, $30 Polo blue jeans, and $165 (yes, 1-6-5) shoes [Air Jordan XIX - B-day present, hehe]. However, I rarely buy these items in excess or in a close time frame. My old shoes [Air Jordan XVII] were $120 and I bought those over 1.5 years ago or so (might have been less). Those have lasted me a long time and I have kept them in pretty good condition. The same goes for my clothes.

As for my hair, I spend $5 to get the best haircut in the world. Up on the Northside, there is a place called "Betty's and Nick's" that is always filled to the brim with people because of their cheap prices and quality service. I always go with the same guy for my haircut and he does an excellent job. Of course, I actually pay $7 for my cut (5 + 2 for tip) but it is worth it (no hair wash, though. That costs +$3 more. :P).

I pay about 11 dollars for a Hair Cut, and however much the cheapest gel is at the convience store. My clothes, well, when I buy them, I make them last for years. So usually...about 20-50 bucks on pants, and about 8-12 dollars on shirts. Once every 3 years of so.

[color=darkviolet]Unless they're color-then it's cosmetic, but mine are the blue tinted ones so I can find them in solution.

Well, we all have a bit of high and low end maintenance on this board eh?

I didn't really get too far into my clothes, but prior pregnancy I frequented Old Navy, Wal*Mart, K*Mart, Target, Hot Topic/Torrid, Goody's (so far I've only seen one in Killeen, TX) American Eagle, Gadzooks, Goodwill, and Salvation Army. Now it's MotherHood. Of course, I can still manage to take t-shirts from my younger brother.

When it comes to clothes I'm a bit of a bargin hunter, last summer I bought a $50.00 bathing suit for $12.50. One of my favorite T-shirts came from Goodwill and I paid $1.50 for it.

As for shoes, Payless, Shoe Dept. JC Penny, Alteirs and Target.

I don't use too much on my hair, just shampoo and spray in conditioner from the grocery store. No hair spray or gel. Hair ties are a bit of a problem for me tho, my cat keeps stealing them on me so I have to buy packages of them every two weeks.

I don't know if it's really the cost of the goods and services that make you feel better, I think it has to do with how you think you look from day to day. The whole rootage and zebra hair wasn't helping me feel good about myself. Besides, it didn't look professional. (not that an eyebrow ring helps)

I really have to agree with the whole 'just saying you're a guy doesn't cut it' idea since I know a few guys who spend a bit of time and money on their apperance.

My brother spends $10.00 plus tip for a hair cut and buys hair gel, hair spray and shampoo from the store. But he spends anywhere from $30-$55.00 for a pair of jeans and even more for sneakers and boots. Everything has to be brand name. Even his socks :eek:

My husband is slightly better. $5.00-$10.00 on a haircut. But he likes this EMS or something gel from the salon I go to and that runs about $12.00 a bottle (7.5 oz) so there's that. Unless he shaves his head, then there's no use for gel-or shampoo for that matter. However we have to buy more blades for his razor. And don't get me started on his 3 different bottles of Calogne (Candies fro men, Nautica Longitude, latitude and Lancome Miracle or the bottle of black nail polish.

Clothes are another thing that are a bit off and on for him. He has to have a good pair of running shoes because of the Army,then of course he has to have a few good pairs of boots. They run about $65.-$80.00, but that's work related. HIs clothes usually come from Old Navy and JC Penny. But he found a good deal on some shirts at Wal*mart ($3.00 each) and He did buy himself a bathing suit at Goody's last year for $10.00. The most was probably $80.00 (or more) for a black button up shirt and black jeans with red stitching at Hot Topic.

So yes, there are guys who spend time and money-a lot of money- on how they look.[/color]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
My haircuts are free (my dad does a good job). I don't use hair gel. I'm a guy so I guess that does it as far as above-the-neck goes.

My shirts have the following distribution:
$1.50 - $6.00 : 85%
$12 - $35: 15% (mostly falling into the $15 - $18 range for superhero t-shirts)

Pants:
Free - $15.00 : 60%
$20 - $40: 40%
(I don't have too many pairs of pants and I occasionally get Express gift cards from people, so I get my jeans there and those are around $40 or so)

Shoes:
$30 - $50 (I buy about 5 pairs per year)

Coats/Jackets:
HUGE range, but nothing too expensive except for a $100 Claiborne light jacket I bought recently because it looked cool.

So there, that's what I spend, and damn do I look good.

I used to spend a lot more if you count my dancewear (that stuff is EXPENSIVE), and I occasionally still wear the practice tops because they are skin-tight but comfy and look cool, but I don't buy that stuff anymore.

I will dish out any amount to be in style. I don't think I own a outfit that costs less then 100 dollars other then socks and underwear. I find that I am now obessed with Throw Back Jerseys and a pair of either Calvin Klein or Tommy Hilfigire jeans. I also like keeping up on the best pair of tennis shoes though I don't really wear them.

I love suits so much, and I try to collect different ones just to say I have them. I try to buy one or two a season. I love name brand and won't wear anything less. I also hate knock offs. The most expensive suit I own was hand taylored and made of some kind of micro fibered silk that makes you feel naked and the price is so much that I had to make a down payment and pay serval smaller monthly fees.

My mom always say clothes define a person. They can tell you everything you need to know the person without even having to meet them. Everyone has a style and a taste and that is what makes us different from one another.

[font=Palatino Linotype][color=#009966]I wear my hair long, but when I do get it trimmed every year or so, I get someone from my family to cut it. [b]Total: $0[/b][/color]

[font=Palatino Linotype][color=#009966]I never bother to do my nails....I can't stand the smell of that blasted nail polish. Plus I'm in the habbit of chewing them, so why bother? [b]Total: $0[/color][/b][/font]

[font=Palatino Linotype][color=#009966]Makeup. I tried that stuff once. It felt like my face was being smothered. I also learned that it wasn't worth it since it made my face break-out badly. [b]Total: $0[/color][/b][/font]

[font=Palatino Linotype][color=#009966]As for clothes, I would spend about $100....if I could....V_V; But I'll just have to settle for a shirt or two every other month or so. [b]Total: $10-$20[/color][/b][/font]

[font=Palatino Linotype][color=#009966]So, since the total was about $20, then no, I don't think I'm spending too much. :)[/color][/font][/font]

I don't tend to spend that much on myself, more on clothes. The most I've spent on clothes is around $450. In one day. I take alot of time picking out clothes, thinking of what I should wear for one day, etc.

My hair, usually doesn't bother me. As I wear a hat, I look cool. :smoke: