OtakuBoards

Three Favorite Movies

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=darkviolet]I'd like to know everyone's three favorite movies of all time and why. But first this announcement:

I want a nice clean civil discussion about your three favorite movies. It's not like someone's insulting your mother or something to that effect. These are just someone's opinions it's not like the person's telling you to think like them.

Okay that's done and over with so I'll put up my three favorite movies in no particular order:

1.) [b]Shrek[/b]- I just thought it was so hilarious the first time I saw it and I couldn't wait to see it again. I especially liked how the adult jokes were disquised enough to go over the kids' heads.

2.) [b]National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation[/b]- I watch it every year around Christmas and it never gets old. My favorite parts are when the squirell is found in the tree by the cat and they end up running around the house and then the dog gets into it and the tree falls over. And the whole scene with the turkey. That and How the Grinch stole Christmas help me get in the holiday spirit.

3.) [b]Ever After[/b]- One of the best remakes of Cinderella I've ever seen. Drew Barrymore is excellent as Danielle and Anjelica Houston makes an excellent evil step mother. Plus the ending is one of my favorite movie endings I've seen in a while. Now I have to go and watch it again!

Well, I've shared mine, now let's see yours.[/color]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=Pink][SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My three favourite movies.. well lets see that easy.

1.[I]The Princess Bride[/I]- I never get tred of this movie. It has evrything in it and i love the characters. I watch this movie evryday and never get tired of it.

2.[I]Mulan[/I]- One of the few Disney movies I like. I never get tired of these movie and I know all the word to it. I sing "Be a man" all the time. It is such a catchy tune.

3.[I]Gothika[/I]- Now that was a great movie and has been added to my favourites. This movie had alot of plot twist which I love in movies. If you haven't seen this you should.

~MEW~
<((_^)>[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=blue][size=1]Well, after all the good ones I've seen, this'll be hard to narrow down... But, hell. I'll give it a shot.

1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail- A stroke of comidic genious. Honestly, I'm not sure why someone before me hasn't mentioned this movie. It was made a [i]long[/i] while before I was born, and yet it makes me laugh to this day. It's a film guaranteed to make you laugh over and over again, no matter how many times you've seen it.

2. Ace Ventura, Pet Detective 2- The first one was funny, but it didn't interest me as much as it's sequel. The movie was full of comedy that's not for everyone, but it pulled me in. I am a little... grossed out, shall we say, at times in the film and I am forced to skip them since, afterall, I've seen them before. Why bother being grossed out again?

3. Matrix- Yes folks, I am a Matrix fan. The two sequels disappointed me after this one, though, but I'm sure I'm not the only one. Anyway, the plot was wonderful, the characters were very interesting, the graphics were stunning, and the thing as a whole was, well.. revolutionary and memorable. I especially liked how it included a bit of comedy. This instantly became a favorite of mine because of the fact that [b]no one[/b] had done anything like it. Ever. And, unfortunatly, it has yet to be surpassed.

That's my opinion. It was hard to pick out only three movies since, afterall, there are so many to choose from. Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, Shrek 2, Big Fish, and a few others are movies that are among my very favorite movies.[/color][/size]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Here it is, the list you've ALL been waiting for...

My three favorite films:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Honorable mentions include: The Last Samurai, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Life is Beautiful, The Usual Suspects, X-Men and X2, ...

Why do I like the Indy films so much? Because they have Indiana Jones! I think he's one of the coolest characters to ever be created, and certainly the coolest character in film. Harrison Ford created a remarkably intelligent, resourceful, witty, funny, and badass archeologist who made even ME want to go digging for ancient artifacts "when I grow up." The films, despite their minor flaws (which are at times numerous, though still minor), are COMPLETE works. Spielberg's story-telling talent really shines, as does John Williams's composing skill. The Raiders March is perhaps the most memorable movie theme ever written, and certainly one of the most.

I could go on for a while about why I love Indy. But I will only say one more thing. He is responsible for what I think is the coolest scene EVER in movies: the basket chase scene where Indy is challenged by a master swordsman who he shoots in the chest without giving it a second thought. On top of that the expression on his face in that scene is pure gold.

I've loved movies for so long I CAN'T make this list and be fair to myself as there would be over 14 titles and none would be over the other... then there would be other ones I throughly enjoy but aren't some of my absolute favorites.

Perhaps I should just put down 3 of my favorite 80's action movies.

1) Rambo: First Blood part 2- John Rambo is the best action hero ever to grace film. He is the Batman of action heros as he would kick the crap out of any of them including James Bond and Indiana Jones.

Why is this movie so awesome? Obviously the first one is a better film.... but this is not only funnier and cooler in terms of seeing just how low and awesome Rambo will become if you piss him off. Not only that, but the character has more depth than most 80's action heros sans the likes of Martin Riggs and John Maclene to an extent.

In this movie Rambo single-handedly wins the Vietnam war... in 1985. HEY! At least he finally won.

2) Die Hard- John Maclene. A true action hero for any age. Between his awesome wisecracks and the second best action catchphrase ever "Yippie Ky Yay Mother F***r!" (#1 being Lethal Weapons "I'm getting too old for this *****")

Look at how tough this guy is... he's fighting off terrorists ON CHRISTMAS and he's BAREFOOT! He goes through hell too. Between blowing up C4 office chairs to being forced to talk to the dad on Family Matters as his only contact with a human being who doesn't want to kill him this guy rules.

3) Lethal Weapon- Not the best in the series (I like 2 the best.) but one of the better ones. None of these movies sucked, as even 3 which is the black sheep is still pretty cool.

Riggs and Mertaugh are awesome as buddy cops between Riggs being partially insane and Mertaugh being there to bail him out and provide some great comic relief and using the best action line ever... because you can use it in almost ANY conversation if you know how to.

[right][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=sienna]Here are my three favorite movies of all time.[/color][/size][/font][/right]
[right][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=#a0522d]1.)[u]Kill Bill:[/u][/color][/size][/font][/right]
[right][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=#a0522d]This is just an awesome movie. People going at each other with weapons and blood going everywhere pretty much the whole time just made this my favorite movie. You can't get better than that. And Chiaki Kuriyama didn't disappoint either.;) [/color][/size][/font][/right]
[right][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=#a0522d]2.)[u]Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory:[/u][/color][/size][/font][/right]
[right][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=#a0522d]This used to be my favorite movie until I saw Kill Bill. I have no idea why I love this movie so much. I think it is because I love food so much and this movie always makes my mouth water. I'm just jealous because I want to go to a huge candy factory with giant gummy bears and a chocolate waterfall and pretty much anything else you could or want to imagine.[/color][/size][/font][/right]
[right][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=#a0522d]3.)[u]Shrek[/u][/color][/size][/font][/right]
[right][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=#a0522d]This has to be one of the most clever, thought out movies. It was just hilarious to see all of the adult humor in this movie and it still attracted kids. I will never forget the infamous onion-layers conversation between Shrek and Donkey. Classic![/color][/size][/font][/right]
[right][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=#a0522d][/color][/size][/font] [/right]
[right][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=1][color=#a0522d]-ry[/color][/size][/font][/right]
[right]
[/right]

[COLOR=Blue]Ok folks heres mine!!!
1. Osmosis Jones- I just thought this movie was really funny. And i thought the animated characters such as Thrax and Ozzy are so cute.

2.Brother Bear-For its cute, heartwarming and weepy story

3. The matrix- Yep me love the matrix too. I guess its because of all the action. :)

:) [/COLOR]

I've seen some good movies posted up here, such as Shrek and the Brotherhood of the Wolf, but I suppose I'll have to go with my list.

A Walk to Remember: This movie was so heart wrenching. I'm a big time athlete, and to be turned about by this movie, it was just something I enjoyed. It is a great story and a wonderful movie to watch. I recomend it to anyone.

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly: There is no way you can refuse the title of top movies to Clint Eastwood. His movie was a great time classic. It is just one of those movies that will live for all of eternity.

LoTR Trilogy: I put all three of these together, because they were once written as one book, later broken up for reading purposes and production purposes as well. I give honor to Tolkien's world and the greatness that Jackson brought from it to the big screen.

Those are my picks for the top movies right now. Although, this list is always changing. One that will never change though is A Walk to Remember. It is my top movie.

Hmm, let's see now...Besides Kung Pow, I like...

1) Now, I'm speaking what I feel for my all-time favorite movie, Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Not because it's scary, but I found it to be the funniest movie in my entire collection. I especially found it amusing when Leather-Face gets his arm chopped off. Hi-lar-ious! And the fat lady- she made me laugh so hard that I fell off the couch. *Two thumbs up* ^o^

2)Dracula is a good one too (the romantic one). Though more romance than anything, it still was funny when Dracula's shadow kept getting very clumsy. And the part with the picture book...HA! I also loved when Lucy had her head chopped off. Yup, that was funny too.

3)What Lies Beneath had me rolling on the floor. Literally, it had me choking on my popcorn. I still can't resist making fun of it when all my friends are biting their fingernails. I definately like the near-ending. That's where all the comedy is, at least in my case.

Yes, I find all horror films to be hilarious and amusing. So sue me. ^_^

hmm... okay then.

1.Gotta agree with Ryan, kill bill is the best movie of all time. I mean, what other movies have soo many samurai swords. Admitadly, quentin tarintino is quite a strange guy, but I like the weird way its filmed, and the fight scenes are awsome. Waiting for vol.2.

2.LOTR trilogy. its just impressive, the way that they turned the wide expanse of the book into a movie. That, and Liv Tyler. Kinda depressed that theres no more of the movies to look forward too, but kill bill should keep me occupied.

3. Monty python and the holy grail. In my opinion, the best of their movies. Funny no matter how many times you watch it. The best bit has got to be when king arther is fighting john cleese as the black night. seriously, u gotta see it for yourself.

If I had to choose from all the movies I've ever seen and thought were actually good I'd have to say...

1. Lord of The Rings Triliogy(in both animated and not animated)- The work that went it to making these movies was great. I really think it's the best movie trilogy of all time. The graphics are superb and the fighting is just the best I've seen. The music is always great.

2. The Ring- I saw both the japanese version (RINGU) and our American one. Both are great and really scary. I was freaked out the whole way through.

3. Sandlot- It's a traditional baseball movie with a really cool story. I like the dog chase seen and when they do the big vacumn operation to get the kid's step dad's baseball back. That was really creative.

[size=1][color=navy]Fight Club: This isnt just a movie it is a whole philosophy of life. Tyler Durden is by far the coolest character of all time I have seen this movie seriously over 100 times. I once watched it 3 times back to back. If your a fan of the movie there are little hidden things throughout the movie you'll notice by watching it over and over again. This is the film that turned me on the Edward Norton films I have never seen a movie with him I havent liked.

Pulp Fiction: Another film which I never get tired of Quintin Tarentino's best film in my opinion. The film just sucks me in and you can watch the film 20 different ways depending on what you believe to be in the suitcase ( I myself think it was Marcellus Wallaces soul).

Return of the King: Great film I was in awe the whole way through the acting is superb, the direction is superb, I cant find anything wrong with any of The Lord of the Rings movies. I never read the novels so when I saw it I was engrossed throughtout and felt attached to the characters and hoped they would succeed and even felt for the demented Gollum.[/size][/color]

[I][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=Green]Thinking about my favorite movies, I decided to put the three best of them, because, I have soooo many favorite movies, choosing just three is hard work!!!
So, anyway, here are my three favorite films, they're in no particular order:

[U][B]Shrek[/B][/U]: I just love this movie!!! It's soo danm funny!! I especially love, [B]THE DONKEY!!![/B] XD And Shrek, at first, he's wants to pass off as a badass, but then, he finds love... :p And, who can forget those adorable little doll-thinggies when Shrek and [B]THE DONKEY[/B] XD reach the KIngs town, I learned their rules by heart... It was a great comedy, I wanna see Shrek 2!!!!

[U][B]Lord of The Rings-Trilogy[/B][/U]: Now, who doesn't love Lord of The Rings?? Ok, maybe a couple of people don't and I respect that; but, I just can't get enough of them!! All of the actiion, with the storyline, and the spectacular scenery!!! And the actors where most of them excellent, my favorite movie from the Trilogy, if I had to choose one, would have to be "The Return of The King" , in my opinion, it did deserve at least 10 Oscars.

[B][U]The Last Samurai[/U][/B]: If I'd seen "The Passion of Crist" trust me, it'd be here, but I wasn't allowed, I faint when I see too much blood, and someone suffering a long with it, but, I mean it in an extreme, like "The Passion". But, anyway, I really loved this movie, it shows how people, when only showed one point of view, think it's right, and forget to look for another one, and when they find it, many times they are surprised to find that their "enemies" aren't that bad, and are quite friendly; in my opinion, this movie has moral to it... "Look for all the views, before you destroy and kill" OK, not much of a moral there, but, I'm no poet!!

Peace to all!!
HetepKa[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

Oh, geez, um, well, [SIZE=4]I GOT A LOT!!![/SIZE]
But I'll limit them...

1. Ranma 1/2 - Trouble in Nekonron, China - Why? Cause it's RANMA!!! Besides that, I'd say that it's pretty romantic and had a wonderful plot.

2. Ranma 1/2 - Nihao, my Concubine - If movie 1's done movie 2's next. It's funny and, like movie 1, has a good plot.

3. School of Rock - It's funny... funny... did I say funny? I'll add funny... and most important... [spoiler][SIZE=4]IT'S DOWNRIGHT HILARIOUS!!!!!![/SIZE][/spoiler]

[quote name='BlueGender][size=1][color=navy]Tyler Durden is by far the coolest character of all time.[/size'][/color][/quote]

[color=teal]It's true, too. Brad Pitt's character of Tyler Durden was ranked number one in the 'coolest movie characters of all time' poll by the UK Empire magazine. Personally I think it should've been Winston 'The Wolf' Wolfe (Harvey Keitel) from Pulp Fiction, but hey, that's just one poll...

Pressing on, my top three favourite movie of all time are as follows (I [i]do[/i] have more than three though):

[b]Goodfellas:[/b] Truly another Martin Scorsese masterpiece, it has everything, depth, violence, humour, and it's based on a true story. It's one of the roughest thrills that you'll get out of any gangster themed movie, showing the rise and fall of Henry Hill, played by Ray Liota. Personally, I think that the film is only what it is today because of the actors involved. There was Robert De Niro as a wise, yet brutal criminal mastermind; he suited the role very well, and Joe Pesci as the young and psychotically violent gun. He won an Oscar for 'best supportive actor', which I believe he sincerely deserved since his performance was brilliant.

[b]Pulp Fiction:[/b] Quentin Tarantino's finest yet, no where else will you be more drawn into a movie than Pulp Fiction. Taking many plot holes and managing to loop them all together is certainly a majestic curb that Tarantino chose for this film since it shines above the rest in many aspects. You could call it the reason as to why I found Kill Bill quite disappointing, particularly Volume 2. I know that his films are on the story based side more than anything else, but I thought Kill Bill was immensely boring, the only incentive Volume 1 held were the fight scenes, making it pretty binary, but Volume 2 just drove me completely opposite direction.

[b]Reservoir Dogs:[/b] Tarantino's directive debut that takes viewers in the eyes of six total strangers who fail miserably on a jewellery store heist. Many of Tarantino's trademarks derived from this film, such as the black briefcase, the black suits, code names, and is cunningly a very inspiring and epic film. Actors Harvey Keitel, Michael Madsen, Tim Roth, they were all aspiring in the film, and I don't think anyone else could've played their characters any better, a work of art. What strikes me is how Tarantino?s constant use of bloodstains on clothes, it's portrayed in most of his films, most gruesomely in Kill Bill Volume 1. None the less it [i]is[/i] an affective attribute.

I don't know if I'll post more later, I have got a [b]a lot[/b] of favourites, mostly based around gangster themes and such, overall I suppose we'll have to see how it goes.[/color]

Here's mine for this year:

Kill Bill: This movie was one of the best that I've seen this year, it has suspence, drama, and as always...killing.

Big Fish: I liked this movie because the story line was awsome, and the actors did their parts very well. In general the whole story was a masterpiece, they evenm got like 2-5 awards for the movie.

Lady Killers: I didn't think this movie was ging to be good at al, but when I saw it with my friends we were shocked. It was very hillarious and dramatic, Tom HAnks should have gotten an award if he didn't already.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Oh! here's [I]my[/I] 3 fave movies!

[B][U]The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King[/U][/B]- i absolutely LOVE this movie! except the fact that it's 3 hours and 20 minutes long! anywho, the fights scenes are awesome and Gimli is still as funny as ever. and i get to see Aragon and Legolas! that's 2 pluses! overall, i highly recomend for ppl to see this ^_^

[B][U]YuYu Hakusho: Poltergiest Report[/U][/B]- *squeels* OOO! this is an AWESOME movie! the only, and i mean ONLY, bad part about it is that everybody's voices are different. but i like botan's voice ^_^ that annoying english accent of her's is finally gone. also, they call kuwabara 'kuwahara' instead. weird ne? everything else is great. defenitly worth the watch ^_^

[B][U]Monty Pithon and the Holy Grail[/U][/B]- OMG!!!! this movie is HILARIOUS!!!!! when mah family and i were watching it, we couldn't stop laughing! it's so silly, and it's during the middle ages! mah favorite part is with the french! EVERYONE should see this!

well, there ya have it! mah fave movies ^_^ and no one was in the mental institution afterwards!
ja ne![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Plum]For a movie addict this took me a while to ponder... on to my list! (no order)[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=Purple]Labyrinth[/COLOR][/B]. [COLOR=RoyalBlue]My all time favorite children movie. I haven't seen it for years and I'm just dying to see it now. It's a better version of Alice in Wonderland. It's not cartoon though there are characters like [spoiler]a pirate dog, talking trees and everything childish.[/spoiler] There are also scenes [spoiler]like mazes and confusing stairs.[/spoiler] Hence, the title 'Labyrinth. Stars Jennifer Connelly and David Bowie.[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=Purple]LOTR Trilogy[/COLOR][/B]. [COLOR=RoyalBlue]When the movie ended I was like "This has got to be one of the greatest movie I've ever seen". I cried watching the whole ending and I didn't even care whether I sniffed so hard in the movie house. The only thing I didn't like is how it gave Arwen so much recognition. I heard she was not so special in the book. The score and effects are great. The actors are great. The sceneries were great and almost unique.[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=Purple]Pirates of the Caribbean[/COLOR][/B]. [COLOR=RoyalBlue]I love what Johnny Depp did in this movie. his character was one that I can never forget. The scores and visual effects were superb. [spoiler]I enjoyed the fight of Captain Jack Sparrow and Captain Barbossa in the ending where there were the moon shines in the cave's holes and they just transform from skeleton to human.[/spoiler] The story was not too complicated and yet not too easy. It was nice how comedy, adventure and fantasy were put all together in this film.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Plum]
I was wondering whether I'll put Harry Potter in the list or not but I think I liked the book over the movies. The movies were amazing but not as amazing as the book.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=teal]Another three from the top of my head:

[b]Casino:[/b] This film resembles Goodfellas in many ways, it consists of many of the actors, has that luminous gangster theme, and holds a ductile plot hole meaning you won't miss a single second. Again, based on a true story, Casino explains to the rise and fall of Sam 'Ace' Rothstein, a Jewish illegitimate casino Director who's biggest mistake in life was getting married--it all began to crumble from there. Even though the plot is looped around a Las Vegas casino, only the first half of the film is actually about that aspect, from then on the story completely shifts over to how Ace is immured by his married life. Another Scorsese classic; highly recommended.

[b]The Usual Suspect:[/b] With Kevin Spacey as the lead role what can you expect? TUS is a pretty rough film that portrays the events of five men who are eventually forced into taking a virtually impossible job where death is inevitable. The mastermind behind it all is one Keizer Schoze, a Bulgarian that you're led into believing is 'crazy'. This is an incredible film, the twists and turns are mind-boggling and Spacey's end result will have you kicking yourselves.

[b]City of God:[/b] Set in Brazil and based on a true story, CoG is an absolute must-see. Some have even referred to it as the 'Brazilian Goodfellas', and it's visible after seeing it for yourself. A young boy named Rocket is brought up and has lived since birth in the City of God; a ruthless town where the thug life dominates and the authorities can't do a single thing about it. The cunning thing about the Goodfellas reference is this: Henry had always [i]wanted[/i] to become a gangster, where as Rocket was left no choice, though he tried to avoid it as much as possible because of his strive to become a photographer--some may call him that little bit of light in the darkness since he completely differs from everybody else. One of my international favourites, it won't--it can?t--disappoint.[/color]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3. The Beatles: A Hard Days Night

This is a very funny movie, its dry, British humor brought to you by the Beatles themselves. And it had a great soundtrack (dur, its the friggin Beatles)

2. Full Metal Jacket

War is hell, and Stanely Kuberick (sp) portrayed the hilarity and seriousness of boot camp, the fear of war, and that your biggest enemies can come in any way, shape, form, or gender ;)

1. Office Space

C'mon. This movie is like one, big, giant Conan O'Brian opening monolague and a Richard Pryor stand-up special all mixed into an office with the nerdy-gangster programmer that has the same name as a guy whose music is played in Sears non-stop, the Arabian programmer whose temper is worse than a hungry tiger on speed, the ringleader, nihilistic, "why am I doing this crap" guy whose life was changed by a hypnotherapist thatdied after treating him, and Lawrence, the guy whose obsessded with boobs. And to talk about Milton would be a spoiler.

Meh... seen so many movies over the years... and I can only choose three... here ya go.

1 ~ [b]Die Hard on a Bus[/b]: Or as most of us call it, Speed. Probably one of the best action movies I've ever seen. Nuff said.

2 ~ [b]LOTR: Return of the King[/b]: I'll be honest. It was the only movie of the entire trilogy that actually kept me awake. It was purdy dang near perfect and the action was outstanding.

3 ~ [b]The Matrix Trilogy[/b]: Virtual world. Slavery to machines. Kung fu. Need I say more?