OtakuBoards

Three Favorite Movies

ChibiHorsewoman

[SIZE=1]I've seen at least a few hundred films in my lifetime so it's a little hard to narrow it down to my three favourites, however in saying that I'll make an effort.

[B]Star Trek V: The Voyage Home[/B] - I love this film, there is just no other way to put it. This film had everything I ever loved about Star Trek, the sense of family among all the characters, the whole traditional Sci-Fi feel to it and finally of course the sheer roller-coaster ride of a story. I thought the actor Lawrence Luckinbell (who played Sybok) did an phenomenal job in the portrayal of his character, though Sybok is the "bad guy" at the start he didn't even seem to be the bad guy. To me he seemed more like a man with a mission who was willing to do anything to achieve it. My favourite part of the film was either at the beginning or then end featuring Kirk, Spock and McCoy camping out with "Marshmellons" and singing Row, Row, Row your boat.

[b]The Count of Monte Cristo[/b] - A brilliant adaptation of a classic tale of revenge by André Dumas, there was not a single cast member who I thought didn't do an absolutely fantastic job. I really felt for the main character Edmond Dantes, he had his whole world ripped from him by the man he called his best friend Fernand Mondego, and all because Mondego wished he was Dantes. The whole tale is well presented, from his time spent imprisoned in the Chateau D'if with fellow prisoner Richard Harris, to serving aboard the pirate ship of Luigi Vampa and finally his transformation to the powerful and mysterious Count of Monte Cristo for his final showdown with Mondego.

[b]K-Pax[/b] - I never understood why people disliked this film, this has to be one of the most moving films I've seen in years. There was just something about this film that drew me to it from when I first watched it, the whole atmosphere and musical score keeps you enraptured from start to finish. I really can't explain exactly why I like this film, I though Spacey and Bridges did brilliant jobs on their parts with Bridges playing an psychologist questioning what he believes after he meets Prot and hoping to actually find some logical explanation to Prot. Spacey on his part was fantastic as Prot, I was genuinely convinced through the entire film that Prot was who he claimed to be. Though in praising the main players in the film I must admit that the secondary characters were themselves the icing on the proverbial cake, from Howie the obsessive compulsive, to Ernie the man who's afraid of life itself at time as well as the rest supporting cast who made this film a sheer pleasure to watch.[/SIZE]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Once Upon A Time in China

The best martial arts and one of the deepest stories of identity and struggle I have ever seen, courtesy of this Jet Li classic from the late 80's.

2. Kill Bill

Uma Thurman, Blood & gore, violence, Crazy 88's... what more can you want?

3. Full Metal Jacket

what iggypopD says pretty sums it up, but I will add a

Semper Fi... OoRaH, DevilDogs!

Allright, my three are,

Pulp Fiction - So many people are saying Kill Bill, but Pulp Fiction blows Kill Bill out of the water. Great acting, great dialouge, great story.

Being John Malkovich - I love weird movies and this takes the cake. Actually, I could have put any of Charlie Kaufmans work here (except Human Nature) because they are all awesome.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - I LOVE this movie. It's funny and well acted (acting is a big thing for me) and all around great.

Well that's it. Runner ups are Reservoir Dogs, Shrek, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and Momento.

EDIT: Oh yah, another runner up is Pirates of the Carribean. Just thoght I would mention that.

EDIT 2: Wow, 2 edit's in less then 5 minutes. I also have to mention Fight Club and Dogma. That should be all now. ;)

• 4 months later...
Guest Animehanyou13
My favorite movies are Princess Mononoke, Gundam Wing Endless Waltz, and Lord Slug...and yet I only own Lord Slug. *tear*

top three movies? K

1. Pulp Fiction - Cause Samuel L Jackson is SO badass
2. Titus - Mmm... Alan Cumming... Could there be a more attractive Roman Emperor?
3. The Rock Horror Picture Show - Because Tim Curry makes a GREAT transvestite. Plus it's the only "B Movie" I can sit through without getting naseous.

Honourable mention goes out to Princess Mononoke, From Hell, Martix and Traffic

The 3 greatest movies of all time:

1) The Incredibles (Absolute perfection: it's funny, exciting, has beautiful animation, great acting, and makes you think. What more could you want?)
2) The LOTR Trillogy (Tolkien's work is classic, and this is the one series of movies that has been equal to the great books it was based on)
3) Spirited Away (Miyazaki is a genius, and this movie has a bit of everything he's great at)

Honerable Mentions: Nausicaa, Mononoke, Laputa, Spiderman 2, Harry Potter 3, The Matrix, Millenium Actress, Shrek, Toy Story (1 and 2), Star Wars: Episodes IV and V

Tough to narrow it down to three movies, but here goes:

1) Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I think that the middle movie is easily the best in the series. It's well-paced and entertaining, with the strongest, most surprising story in any of the Star Wars movies, and it has a great, open-ended ending that makes you really want to see the concluding chapter of the original trilogy, Return of the Jedi.

2) Monty Python's Life of Brian - Holy Grail is fantastic, but I think that Life of Brian is better, overall. It's sharper, edgier, and the satire is pulled off fantastically. Plus, I really, really like the ending a lot. It's probably one of the more memorable endings to a movie that I've seen.

3) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - Choosing the movie to fit in this last spot is tough, but I'll go with Dr. Strangelove. More awesome satire here. The movie doesn't pull any punches in satirizing the Cold War, and it's amazing to think about how much quality is packed into only a shade over a hour and a half. Great, great movie.

[SIZE=1]Well I actually posted in this a few months ago, though reading back my list hasn't changed, instead I'll just offer up another list of some of my other favourite movies.

[b]The Incredibles:[/b] I have loved this film since I first saw it a few weeks back, it moulded everything of the superhero genre that I enjoy without making it seem very unrealistic. The characters themselves are all great, although Syndrome has to take the crown for the best character, he was just great to watch and his humour was brilliant. Honestly I think it was a film for all ages, but one in which different age groups could laugh at different things which appealed to them.

[b]Death to Smoochy:[/b] I actually finally bought the film this evening but this has to be one of the funniest films I've ever watched, it as what it says on the tin, "[I]Barney with Gangsters[/I]". Edward Norton and Robin Williams play their parts superbly, although Williams sheer versatility when it comes to actions and voices has to tip the hat in his favour for best character. One of the funniest scenes had to be [spoiler]when Sheldon was tricked into attending the Nazi conference[/spoiler] I just laughed so hard the first time I saw that, it was just sheer genius.

[B]Happy Gilmore:[/b] Best Sandler comedy ever. Those are simply my thoughts on that film, it was just such a perfect mix of Sandler's mad humour and a game which didn't have it coming. The humour although adult did have a mix of slapstick to it, and was just sometimes plain silly, but all and all that's what made it so funny. Ben Stiller actually did a really good job in his role, his whole appearance didn't really belay his underlying evil. A great film to just sit back and watch without really having to think too much.[/SIZE]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Hmm. Here are my favorite three movies.

1) [B]Moulin Rouge[/B] - Simply fantastic. The music was great, and the entire movie was perfect. The end was inspired.

2)[B] Pulp Fiction [/B]- I like the way this movie dealt with fate. The script was also very well written. For example, the portion of the film that had Jules and Vince talking as friends, and then the next second, they're stone-cold gangbangers.

3) [B]Fight Club[/B] - Really great movie. As with Moulin Rouge, great ending.[/FONT]

[color=darkslateblue] Just three movies! That's madness, I tell you! :P But here goes...

[b]Fight Club[/b]:

1) Edward Norton.
2) Good director.
3) Awesome movie.

This movie just plain rocks. Edward Norton is hands down one of my favorite actors, definately in my top three. ([b]Death to Smoochy[/b] and [b]American History X[/b] were both great movies) The storyline is great, and Edward Norton just makes the whole movie thousands of times better. It has this awesome gritty, dirty feel during the whole film (kudos to the director) and it's a must see for any movie fan. It's sad that so many movie fans haven't even seen it, when it was probably the best movie of 1999 (although [b]American Beauty[/b] and [b]The Cider House Rules[/b] give it a run for its money). Personally, I like it better than [b]A Clockwork Orange[/b] (and it has been compared with that movie a lot) and jeez...I just love this movie to bits.

[b]Philadelphia[/b]

So...I had to choose between this and [b]Schindler's List[/b], and I chose this. Why, I don't know. I love both the movies. Tom Hanks gives his best performance in this movie, and when I saw this movie, I was just like: wow. This is one of the best movies I've ever seen, no doubt about it. It has a very poweful and moving story, and is just open. We could all learn from the movie...and it's just great to watch anyway.

[b]Shawshank Redemption[/b]

*frustration* It was this or [b]Mystic River[/b], because I love Tim Robbins. I first saw this movie when my sister was watching it, and I was hooked. Tim Robbins did a great job with playing Andrew Dufresne, and James Whitmore did an excellent job with Brooks when acting out how his character dealed with life outside prison. Of course, Morgan Freeman was also good. I was glad when the movie didn't end sadly or anything...it made me happy. :)

Yargh...I just can't post this without shouting out some other films I really enjoyed: [b]Memento, Saving Private Ryan[/b] (the first thirty minutes it just plain amazing), [b]OCTOBER SKY[/b] (I ADORE this movie to bits. It's not great, but for some reason I loved it so [i]much[/i]), [b]Mystic River, To Kill a Mockingbird[/b] (praise to Gregory Peck) [b]Ocean's Eleven, Dogma, The Bourne Identity/Supremacy, Snatch, The Sweet Hereafter, Schindler's List, Seven Samurari, 25th Hour, Life as a House, A Clockwork Orange, Kill Bill Vol.2...[/b]

Wow, I got carried away. I'm still missing tons...movies are the greatest things ever. [/color]

[font=Garamond][size=2][color=seagreen]Wow. Everyone's saying Fight Club is the best movie ever, the storyline's the best, and all that cal. Personally, I haven't seen it, but I have read the book (yes it was a book before it was a movie. 3 years before, in fact), and I can already determine that the movie won't even come close to capturing the book (do they ever?). Oh, and Maladjusted, it's funny that you should mention A Clockwork Orange, because that was the book I read just before Fight Club, and I did find several parallels between the two.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]Anywho...[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]It's really hard for me to do this, because I believe that you shouldn't base one movie on another, unless, of course, they're a trilogy, or a copycat film. But since I have to, I'll try my hardest to narrow the list down to three (no promises, though).[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57][u]My Three Favourite Movies:[/u][/color][/size][/font]
[u][font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57][/color][/size][/font][/u]
[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]1. [b][u]3 Days of the Condor [/u][/b]- The only movie I have ever seen that acuratly depicted fone phreaking. Not just regular, run-o'-the-mill phreaking, but field phreaking. Technical phreaking. It was also a very good thriller. Suspenseful.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]2. [b][u]Time Bandits[/u][/b] - The best fantasy/sci-fi film ever. A classic. Very similar to Laberynth (and vice versa), but without the sicking breaking out into song every five seconds. For the children, of course.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]3. [b][u]Dark Star[/u][/b] - An excellent, low-budget, cult classic. It's a sci fi spoof/satire that is sometimes quite humourous if you are quick enough to catch the jokes. It was Dan O'bannon's (Alien) writting/directing/acting debut.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]And now, a list of other movies I enjoy:[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]The Matrix(1), Reservoir Dogs, Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Beatles: Help!, Saving Private Ryan, Dogma, Ferris Beuller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, more to come...[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Garamond][color=#2e8b57][/color][/font]

[quote name='maladjusted][color=darkslateblue'] Just three movies! That's madness, I tell you! :P But here goes...[/color][/quote]

[color=darkviolet] Hey, what can I say? I'm, a very very evil person. Merry Federal Holiday where you get presents :D It wasn't too easy for me either[/color]

[quote name='maladjusted][color=darkslateblue] [b]American History X[/b'] [/color][/quote]

[color=darkviolet] I saw that movie and I think I still have the DVD with me. I felt that it was very well written and well acted out. However, it's not my genre, it's my husband's and the ending made me cry. Why? Because I think that that boy was actually going to try and turn his life around after his brother had the talk with him, but then he[spoiler]got gunned down because of what he did the day before [/spoiler]. I guess that must be to show that in real life there aren't always happy endings. Honestly I had trouble watching the whole movie. [spoiler]That shower scene after the guy's brother was bonding with the black guy he worked laundry with was really something brutal...so was the scene where his brother slammed the guy's face into the curb[/spoiler][/color]

I'm not really that big of a movie goer...but here are my three favorites. (no particular order)

Kill Bill - *hearts* My favorite. Great fight scenes and soundtrack.

Pirates of the Caribbean - Not generally a fan of pirate movies, but I loved PotC.

The Matrix - The action scenes were just awesome. I love this movie, but I didn't really care for the sequels. :p

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][b]Shrek[/b']- I just thought it was so hilarious the first time I saw it and I couldn't wait to see it again. I especially liked how the adult jokes were disquised enough to go over the kids' heads. [/quote]

[quote name='Kittychanann][I]The Princess Bride[/I']- I never get tred of this movie. It has evrything in it and i love the characters. I watch this movie evryday and never get tired of it.[/quote]

[quote name='Kitty] Matrix- Yes folks, I am a Matrix fan. The two sequels disappointed me after this one, though, but I'm sure I'm not the only one. Anyway, the plot was wonderful, the characters were very interesting, the graphics were stunning, and the thing as a whole was, well.. revolutionary and memorable. I especially liked how it included a bit of comedy. This instantly became a favorite of mine because of the fact that [b]no one[/b'] had done anything like it. Ever. And, unfortunatly, it has yet to be surpassed.[/quote]
That was easy.

[i]Wow. Everyone's saying Fight Club is the best movie ever, the storyline's the best, and all that cal. Personally, I haven't seen it, but I have read the book (yes it was a book before it was a movie. 3 years before, in fact), and I can already determine that the movie won't even come close to capturing the book (do they ever?). [/i]

[color=darkslateblue] I have read the book [i]Fight Club[/i], and I really enjoyed it, but I dare not compare the two. Movies and books are two different things...I don't enjoy comparing them because they shouldn't be, really.

It's like comparing a sink with a microwave, it's two very different things. Movies are movies and books are books. [/color]

Gothika-one of the most awesome movies I've ever seen. As said by kittychanann, it has a lot of plot twists, which I love in a film

Signs-I LOVE SCI-FI FILMS! This was one of the best I had ever seen. Pure and simple.

The Mothman Prophecies-Because it's based on true events, because I lived in the area where it took place, and because it's just so chillingly eerie.

[SIZE=1][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Indigo]Kill bill Movies:I LOVE THIS MOVIES SOOO MUCH!!!, im really just a sucker for movies like this one none stop action is awesome! plus with the whole japanese backgroung I love it even more.

Pirates Of the Caribean: Jhonny Depp's performace was awesome in the movie and that what maked me loved it so much is just a movie that really dosent get boring to watch

Lord Of the Rings the Return of the King extended edition: Is my favorite of the whole series! I guess i just love the endings of something great, plus it was so catchy. I like it better with the extra film it explains alot more than the originnal version.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[size=1][b]Moulin Rouge:[/b] Gah, just perfection. The casting was perfect, and I fell in love with a number of actors from this film. I love Baz Luhrman's style, and the way he presents each of these scenes and moments using subtle details and hints along the way so the audience is constantly reminded of the film's ending, though we're all brought to this climax of feeling happy for these characters before an unfortunate event. Oh, and the soundtrack. ^_^ Come What May's the only original song there, I think, and I love it. Just a beautiful film overall.

[b]Romeo + Juliet:[/b] Also by Baz Luhrman. I love the casting here as well, though I'm not a *huge* fan of the way Claire Danes read her lines. I think Tybalt (John Legu...asdjalkj...zimo) and Mercutio gave particularly great performances, and Leonardo DiCaprio made a surprisingly good Romeo. I just love how well adapted this is, and again with the director's style. Brilliance. =)

And as for number three.... it's actually a three-way tie between [b]White Oleander[/b], [b]Thirteen[/b], and [b]Big Fish[/b]. No, wait, make that four. [b]Love Actually[/b]'s fun also. *dodges tomatoes*[/size]

• 3 weeks later...
1. [B]The Lord of the Rings[/B]. Yeah, so technically that's three movies right there, but you can't watch them seperatly. You just can't.

2. [B]Mr. Smith Goes to Washington[/B]. Politically great movie made years before political movies started being the thing. Jimmy Stewart is just perfect.

3. [B]HELP![/B]. Yeah, it is somewhat lacking in the "inspiring plot" area, but the fact that it's The Beatles more than makes up for it...great soundtrack, funny lines... :love:

[color=darkred][size=1]

My list has been revised sense the release of a few recent films, but still retains my taste.

[B]Pulp Fiction[/B]:

Its one of those movies that you either love or hate... aparently I loved it. I just really like the movies pacing, the way that it was out of order so that each and every scene seemed dynamic in its own right, and also seeing how the story slowly unfolded and connected all together. It was Quentin Tarantino's big, big hit in '94, the really big one, that made him an A-List Director, but he never lost that indie film edge. The music in the movie was very interesting also. Using no original score what-so-ever, but still, the songs still seemed right. But the best thing about the movie, it's great one-liners. "Get the Gimp..." Classic Moment in Film!

[B]Troy[/B]

It takes its spot on my list. Just the sure grandeur of the movie really made me love it. Although it didn't really keep itself true to Homer's "Illiad" in full form. [spoiler] Such as Ajax being killed so early on, when actually he died after Achilles, and the fact that Achilles was in the Trojan Horse, a ploy created because of his death.[/spoiler] But still, the film had great dramatic effect and those fight scenes where just awsome! And Achilles' little special jump and twist attack, awsome! [spoiler] Especially when he took out that big, giant monster of a man at the films beggining![/spoiler] Just alot of really cool moments in that movie.

[B]Game of Death[/B]

One of those movies held by alot of controvercy. It was released six years after it's star's death, and then fabricated with alot of doubles and a highly bastardized story line. I had to watch the Bruce Lee documentary "Warrior's Journey" to see the films actual, uncut greatness. Beleive me, the fight scenes are not only great, but very realistic. Bruce's ability to meld realism and impressive fight scenes really come together nicely. Aswell, the movie's story was created from Lee's own personal philosophy on martial arts, which is one I highly respect...

Honorable Mention:

[B]The Last Samurai[/B]
[B]Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back[/B]
[B]Scratch[/B] (the DJ Documentary)

Lets all not forget that Christmas time classic, [B]A Christmas Story[/B]! A classic comedy film, just set during Christmas, still, a great movie to watch anytime.

[/color][/size]

This is one of those threads that you've seen so many times over the years that you think you posted in it already. I guess I never posted in this one.

It's hard to narrow this stuff down. There's a lot of great movies out there and certainly more than were probably more influential than the ones I'll wind up with. I guess that doesn't matter in terms of favorites though.

1.) Nightmare Before Christmas - This has been way up there ever since I first saw it. I remember the first ads for it in comic books even. I didn't get to see it until it hit tape, however, and never had my own copy until the excellent Special Edition DVD was released.

The movie has its problems... In particular, I think the end is rushed in a few respects, both in the demise of Oogie Boogie and in the very, very sudden realization on Jack's part that he and Sally belong together. Those are made up for by the just insanely meticulous visuals and excellent music. It's just a phenominal thing to watch.

I suppose the sad thing about the film is how Burton's role NMBC is really overplayed, he kind of just came up with the idea and let Henry Sellick do the work.

2.) Edward Scissorhands - I think this film pretty much solidified Depp as the greatest living male actor... at least in my opinion. I can't think of a single other person who could have portrayed someone as solitary, yet still oddly curious, as he did. More realistic emotion conveyed through his expressions and body language than many other actors can accomplish in their entire careers, speaking parts or otherwise.

Plus the film is just beautiful in every sense and has possibly the most fitting and satisfying ending I can think of in any modern movie.

3.) Pee-wee's Big Adventure - In my opinion, this is the single greatest movie ever made. It has every last thing I could possibly want in a movie: comedy, action, drama, romance... yet still is able to distance each one of these enough that the movie can't be pinned down to any of them. I just love this movie. I could write a lot more and be far more specific, but I won't bother here.

It was Burton's first film as well as Elfman's first film score... so that's notable.

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Red]first off i like all of the Lord of The Rings serries.... very good.after that i would have to pick *starts to think hard* Scary Movie 3. after drinking a whole coke while laughing till your eyes start to bleed, i had to go pee so many times during that movie and laughing didnt help at all. last would be *starts to think again but this time all you can hear is the sound of her brain being fried* probably be, Jane Eyre (the old fashion one). that was a very good movie in my eyes. [/COLOR][/FONT]

1) Monty Python and the Holy Grail- Why do you ask? It's simple. Monty Python and the Holy Grail is one of their funniest and is something of its own rights. And who can forget the Bloody French.

2) Monty Python- Life of Brian. Why do yo uask? This is also pure comical genius and is a hilarious spoof on Jesus' life.

3) Dogma- Why do you ask? This is easily one of my favourite movies of all time because it is hilarious and has a lot of actio nand killing.