OtakuBoards

What is your favourite (Proper) rock band of all time.

PWNED

I have to say INXS or Midnight Oil on this one because of the sheer fact that neither band are afraid about expressing their opinion weither it is Racial Harmony ( INXS) or Life itself (Oilses). Add your thoughts on your bands nd if you can add some lyrics from one(Or two) of their best songs.

i have contained lyrics from some of their best songs.

"Original Sin" by INXS

You might know of the original sin
And you might know how to play with fire
But did you know of the murder committed
In the name of love - yeah
You thought what a pity

Dream on white boy
Dream on black girl
And wake up to a brand new day
To find your dreams have washed away

There was a time when I did not care
And there was a time when the facts did stare
There is a dream and it's held by many
Well I'm sure you had to see
It's open arms

Dream on white boy
Dream on black girl

You might know of the original sin
And you might know how to play with fire
But did you know of the murder committed
In the name of love - yeah
You thought what a pity

Dream on white boy
Dream on black girl
Then wake up to a brand new day

Dream on black boy
Dream on white girl
And waked up to a brand new day

Dream on black boy
Dream on white girl
To find your dreams are washed away

Dream on, play with fire
White boy, black girl
Dream on, in the name of love
Black boy, white girl

Dream on, white boy, black girl
Black boy, white girl

Dream on, the name of love - yeah
You thought what a pity
Original Sin

Put Down That Weapon
by Midnight Oil

Under the waterline
No place to retire
To another time
The eyes of the world now turn

And if we think about it
And if we talk about it
And if the skies go dark with rain
Can you tell me does our freedom remain

Put down that weapon or we'll all be gone
You can't hide nowhere with the torchlight on
And it happens to be an emergency
Some things aren't meant to be
Some things don't come for free

Above the waterline
Point the finger yeah point the bone
It's the harbour towns
That the grey metal ships call home
And if we think about it
And if we talk about it
And if the sea goes boiling black
Can you tell me what you'll do about that

I must know something to know it's so wrong
And if happens to be an emergency
Some things aren't meant to be
Some things don't come for free
They keep talking about it
They keep talking...

You must be crazy if you think you're strong

Beds Are Burning
by Midnight Oil

Out where the river broke
The bloodwood and the desert oak
Holden wrecks and boiling diesels
Steam in forty five degrees

The time has come
To say fair's fair
To pay the rent
To pay our share
The time has come
A fact's a fact
It belongs to them
Let's give it back

How can we dance when our earth is turning
How do we sleep while our beds are burning

The time has come to say fairs fair
to pay the rent, now to pay our share

Four wheels scare the cockatoos
From Kintore East to Yuendemu
The western desert lives and breathes
In forty five degrees

The time has come
To say fair's fair
To pay the rent
To pay our share
The time has come
A fact's a fact
It belongs to them
Let's give it back

The time has come to say fair's fair
To pay the rent, now to pay our share
The time has come, a fact's a fact
It belongs to them, we're gonna give it back

When I say Proper Rock Band I mean a band that plays full rock music, not a hybrid of Rap and Rock or Pop and Rock but real rock. Real Rock also counts as Metal or Punk (Usually) It's just that sometimes it is hard to tell which is which.

Short Example- Papa Roach's earlier music- Not Proper Rock (Rap-Metal)
Limp Bizkit- Not Proper Rock. ( Rap-Metal)
Good Charlotte- Close to proper Rock but it is a hybrid of Pop and Punk.
AC-DC- Proper Rock ( One of the best rock groups around)
Most eighties rock- Not at all rock ( So many are pop-rock)
Silverchair- Proper Rock
Maroon 5- Not Proper Rock (Pop Rock)
Linkin Park- Hell No ( Rap-Metal)

I could create a list as long as I am tall ( 6') but I do not have the time or the patience to create said list. Just state what you think is the proper choice and why.

[color=purple]Oh in that case Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple are two of the older rock bands that I like quite a bit. I don't think you could class AFI as "proper" rock, don't think they are rock.

Led Zeppelin because I like the weird country sound they have, some songs have really really good basslines. The vocals are great, the guitar is amazing at times and the drummer is really quite good as well.

Deep Purple are just really good - guitar solos and drum solos.. they're great.

AFI are like one of my favourite bands ever, though they went from whiny punk to really dark rock in the space of ten years (a change I am still undecided on whether I like or not, each style has its pros and cons). The guitar work on the latest album is nothing short of amazing, lyrics are quite deep and moving. Yeah, they're good all over.[/color]

Zeppelin kicks ten kinds of punk ***. You ever hear Kashmir? If not, check it out, totally rocking.

My favorite pure rock band is the Stones. They are living Legends.. they defined an entire genre's image... Who can argue with Mick Jagger? Paul McCartney? nah. Stephen Tyler? maybe.

I Can't Get No Satisfaction, Sympathy for the Devil, and Honky Tonk Woman are my favorites from the Stones.

Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, CCR, and the Scorpions all deserve honorable mention.

Rock On!

[QUOTE=Daermon_Nashabe]When I say Proper Rock Band I mean a band that plays full rock music, not a hybrid of Rap and Rock or Pop and Rock but real rock. Real Rock also counts as Metal or Punk (Usually) It's just that sometimes it is hard to tell which is which.

Short Example- Papa Roach's earlier music- Not Proper Rock (Rap-Metal)
Limp Bizkit- Not Proper Rock. ( Rap-Metal)
Good Charlotte- Close to proper Rock but it is a hybrid of Pop and Punk.
AC-DC- Proper Rock ( One of the best rock groups around)
Most eighties rock- Not at all rock ( So many are pop-rock)
Silverchair- Proper Rock
Maroon 5- Not Proper Rock (Pop Rock)
Linkin Park- Hell No ( Rap-Metal)

I could create a list as long as I am tall ( 6') but I do not have the time or the patience to create said list. Just state what you think is the proper choice and why.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Purple]undefined[/COLOR] Ok well I have one for you its called Finger Eleven you should listen to them they're AWSOME :devil: O_O but anyways they're good. One of they're best songs is "Good Times"

[COLOR=Purple][COLOR=Purple]xxx[/COLOR][/COLOR]Weeeeeell I think Finger Eleven is "proper rock" because well they don't rap they're not exactly heavy metal and are anything BUT pop rock! So if you want to disagree listen to them and see for yourself. Tanko for listenin >:)

[color=darkslateblue]

Anyways, getting back to topic. "Proper" rock...that's a first. I find it hard to see bands as "proper" rock anymore. But I will tell you that my absolute favorite band is A Perfect Circle.

Maynard's lyrics and voice are mystifying and absolutely goregous. I have found no other band that can captivate me the way that APC does.

Of course I love the classic 70s-early 80s metal/rock. There's just too many to name >.< [/color]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Proper rock. o0 I can work with that, lol.

For me, it's KoRn. No question. I love everything about their music, from Jon's tortured voice to Fieldy's bass. They used to be rap-metal (yeeears ago) but now they have a distinctly metal sound, heh.

Also, Red Hot Chili Peppers are ace. There's few bands that have had the staying power of the Peppers, but the pure non-sensical lyrics, lol. or at least some are non-sensical.

Best song for the Peppers is Otherside, for KoRn... either Got the Life or Hating.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

My fav band of all time has to be Rush. Somthing about them just screams "**** I'm good" and I like it.

With hits such as Roll the Bones and The Trees, Rush is probably the best Canadian band in history (Except the Guess Who) and has one of the best drummers in the world.

I'm not exactly sure what it is that makes them good, but it's probably because of the amazing drumming, and the incredibly eccentric, yet awesome, vocals by Geddy Lee. Rock on!

(Download some of Rush and you'll see what I mean)

[color=crimson]KoRn and Linkin Park will be metal when hell freezes over.

Moving briskly along. I like the Foo Fighters- they are definately sitting somewhere in the "rock" genre. "My Hero" and "Everlong" are the best songs from them, in my opinion. Chevelle is good too- every song from their first CD I enjoy, lol. Let's see.. Rolling Stones, of course. RHCP- "Other Side" is a godsend. Soundgarden is rock to me, so.. I'll throw them in there.

That's all I can think of right now.[/color]

Onikage, I don't think Stained is proper rock....

Now Desturbed on the other hand is a great band. Some of their better songs are Violence Fettish and Down with the Sickness. I think part of my love for this band cames from some sweet AMVs i saw.

And Linkin Park has some songs in this category. Theres One Step Closer and Faint.

[quote name='ThatOneOddDude']And Linkin Park has some songs in this category. Theres One Step Closer and Faint.[/quote]

[color=darkorchid]Just like any other LP songs - rap verse, chorus rock with singing. Gets tiresome.[/color]

[QUOTE=ThatOneOddDude]Onikage, I don't think Stained is proper rock....

Now Desturbed on the other hand is a great band. Some of their better songs are Violence Fettish and Down with the Sickness. I think part of my love for this band cames from some sweet AMVs i saw.

And Linkin Park has some songs in this category. Theres One Step Closer and Faint.[/QUOTE]
yah i guess, I'd also lke to add Static-x and Chevelle to the list, they rock. I do agree with you on the linkin Park song, One Step Closer, Faint...

[QUOTE=Sword Breaker]My fav band of all time has to be Rush. Somthing about them just screams "**** I'm good" and I like it.

With hits such as Roll the Bones and The Trees, Rush is probably the best Canadian band in history (Except the Guess Who) and has one of the best drummers in the world.

I'm not exactly sure what it is that makes them good, but it's probably because of the amazing drumming, and the incredibly eccentric, yet awesome, vocals by Geddy Lee. Rock on!

(Download some of Rush and you'll see what I mean)[/QUOTE]

Rush totally rocks the Guess Who. Geddy Lee is the man! Limelight, Fly By Night, By-Tor, and Tom Sawyer are also worth DLing. THe whole feel of the sound... is hard to describe, but totally awesome.

it's hard to define my favorite band because i like so many, i would say ANY underground metal acts (mainly black/death metal) at the moment i'm listening to alot of dark funeral and limbonic art (dark funeral come from sweden and limbonic art comes from norway both are excellent black metal bands)i do like cradle of filth because they got me into the black metal scene

Lets see...

- [B]Dio[/B]

- [B]Rainbow[/B]

- [B]Black Sabbath[/B] (mostly, beleive it or not, the Tony Martin years....1987 to 1995. In my opinion, he's more talented than Ozzy. Ozzy still rocks though. hard) ^_^

- [B]Type O Negative[/B]

- [B]Iron Maiden[/B]

There's many more, but these are my top 5. I didnt include punk rock in my list.

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Favourite "proper" rock band is a toss up between two, [B]Queen[/B] and [b]Thin Lizzy[/b], honestly I just can't pick one over the other as they're both great bands. Quen just edge out Thin Lizzy when it comes to the energy in their songs, they just seem to ooze passion and get you grooving when you hear them, "[I]Don't Stop Me Now[/I]" just kicks ***. However Thin Lizzy also have some great songs and their guitar music is simply divine, even though stuff like "[I]The Boys are back in Town[/i]" is better known, some of their less known stuff like "[I]Dedication[/I]" is brilliant.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Kane][SIZE=1]Thin Lizzy also have some great songs and their guitar music is simply divine, even though stuff like "[I]The Boys are back in Town[/i]" is better known, some of their less known stuff like "[I]Dedication[/I']" is brilliant.[/SIZE][/quote]

Hell yeah. These guys rock so much.
[i]Whiskey In The Jar[/i].....Thats my number one most favorite drinking song. Thin Lizzy and Metallica's cover version.

Oh, while I'm at it, I wanna add Blue Oyster Cult to my list. Most because of [i]Dont Fear The Reaper[/i] and [i]Astronomy.[/i] ^_^