OtakuBoards

Suggestion

Citrus

Hello this is China here with a suggestion.

I have made serious mistakes in threads before and I want to get rid of themto save the embarassment. But, I have to wait until either Dagger or James gets on so they can delete the thread!!!

By the time they get on all my peers here on OB see what a big mistake I have made. This makes me go into my little shy shell and I won't talk to someone, except Panda, for a very long time.

In conclusion I think we should be able to delete threads. But if your a newcomer your thread should be closed just to teach you what to do right next time. This would be a great attachment to OB and I think it would make some people happy.

Please write if you think this fantasy should become a reality or stay a dream.

Thanks, China

Only mods and admins should be able to delete other people's posts, and only if they break the rules. Why should you be able to end other people's conversations just because you don't like the way that things are going?

As far as your mistakes go, you have to live with them. Just think about what you're doing before you do it. Don't post something that's going to make you look like an idiot later.

[url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=36229][u]Thread Starters[/u][/url]

Wow, talk about irony, lol. Very same thing I was talking about last year, but I was on the other side of the issue. The thread there explains why there isn't that feature (rather, why the feature is no longer active).

Bloodseeker, Welcome to Otakuboards. Read through what I said in my first post. What I am saying is mistakes. Like some of the following, read carfully unlike before:

- Accidental double thread
- Forgot rating
etc.

Thank you and that is where I wanted my debate to go. Thank You and welcome to OB once again.

[color=#4B0082]Well, James and Dagger aren't the only ones who can edit/delete threads. All team leaders and any normal moderators of that forum also have the ability. So there's a few people you could ask, myself included; feel free to PM/IM me any time I'm on OB if you need something done.[/color]

[size=1]Envision this: A 14 page thread, full of mature and sensible posts... deleted by a member upset at the fact they lost their argument. Thats not what you want happening. Rather, I think they should be able to edit Thread titles...but that's all. If posting a double-thread makes you feel bad in some way, then you really need to get out some more.[/size]

[quote name='Baron Samedi][size=1']Envision this: A 14 page thread, full of mature and sensible posts... deleted by a member upset at the fact they lost their argument. Thats not what you want happening. Rather, I think they should be able to edit Thread titles...but that's all. If posting a double-thread makes you feel bad in some way, then you really need to get out some more.[/size][/quote]

Imagine now that it actually happened. I think that is such a strong case as to why it shouldn't be allowed. I think a lot of us remember that thread lol.

No one is going to remember or care if you make a stupid mistake. Back when I was a mod, I never remembered who did things like that. I remembered people who were genuine jerks.

[font=Verdana][size=1]Regarding ratings: I know that I, for one, will always check inside a thread to see if it's rated in the subheadings before actually closing a thread. If you forget to rate your thread, go 'edit' and change it; it won't show on the main forum page, however, it will show inside the thread [In the post title; see where [b]Ratings[/b] is in my post?]. If I see that a thread has been rated on the subtitle, then I'll simply change the main title to reflect that rating. After all, it shows me that the member/person [i]is[/i] following the rules, if a little belatedly.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=1][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=1]The bottom line is that we all make mistakes, and generally, as mods, we're willing to understand that. If you accidentally create a double thread, just PM the forum/team mod. We're only too happy to help, and we certainly don't bite. ^_^[/size][/font]

• 3 weeks later...
[SIZE=1]Well I understand that people would like to get rid of say a double thread or something along those lines, but when people could [and have according to Tony] delete threads simply because they don't like the outcome it's probably better that we don't have the ability any more.

Simply asking a Moderator politely to delete a double thread would be the most obvious answer to that problem, and really if you are embarrassed about it then take solace in the fact that you're certainly not the first person to do it and you definitely won't be the last. [/SIZE]

[COLOR=#004a6f][QUOTE=Siren][url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=36229][u]Thread Starters[/u][/url]

Wow, talk about irony, lol. Very same thing I was talking about last year, but I was on the other side of the issue. The thread there explains why there isn't that feature (rather, why the feature is no longer active).[/QUOTE][QUOTE=Siren]I have a suggestion.

Normal members (Non-Mods) no longer have the ability to delete threads they start. I find it to be very questionable that a thread disappears if the thread starter happens to get decimated in it.[/QUOTE]Lol, you're so spiteful. How many people have you "decimated"? Must feel good looking back at those old threads, and patting yourself on the back.

I still however, agree that members shouldn't delete their own threads, unless there is an actual error in them, like China mentioned. But keeping these threads shouldn't be for the purpose of making people who replied in a degrading manner feel good about themselves.[/COLOR]

Maybe it would be possible to allow the member to delete their own thread within a certain amount of time... say five or ten minutes or less. That way they can't just randomly delete a thread with 40 replies to it. I don't know if that is possible or not.

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']Maybe it would be possible to allow the member to delete their own thread within a certain amount of time... say five or ten minutes or less. That way they can't just randomly delete a thread with 40 replies to it. I don't know if that is possible or not.[/quote]

It is not currently possible, nor was I able to find a current modification that does what was suggested.

I think it would be a good idea to let the thread starter delete their topic within [I]x[\I] minutes of creation. If it is something James would want, I would be willing to invest time in to making it.

[QUOTE=Chabichou][color=#004a6f]Lol, you're so spiteful. How many people have you "decimated"? Must feel good looking back at those old threads, and patting yourself on the back.

I still however, agree that members shouldn't delete their own threads, unless there is an actual error in them, like China mentioned. But keeping these threads shouldn't be for the purpose of making people who replied in a degrading manner feel good about themselves.[/color][/QUOTE]
T'warn't just me, Chabi. The thread starter was fishing for sympathy for a problem that was her fault entirely, and nobody gave her sympathy.

Nice try. (OMG! ~_^)

[color=#161414]I am for and against this. There were times where I had made some outrageous, and embarrassing, posts. And if the option of deleting them myself were available, I would have used it. But it's just simple to find out which moderator/team leader is on line and send them a PM. They don't have a problem, as long as you give them a valid reason.

I do like the fact that only mods/team leaders/and admin are the only people who can delete threads. There was a thread I participated in a while back, and I wanted to use a post of mine from that thread to prove a point..but it got deleted. That really sucks when it's an RPG, too. [/color]

I believe things are fine the way they are, mods are chosen because they're judgement is trusted, if they don't believe a thread is adequate, then they'll close it, and thats the end, its really not someone elses place to question them, unless it was a completely outrageous close, which I don't imagine happens often, and mistakes and such are just, not a big deal, at least not to me, typing thousands of letters and words are forum warrants several mistakes, and I doubt people would judge you on a typing error made 6 months ago on a post no ones looked at since

No reason to shell yourself O-Ren, no ones perfect here :animesmil

[color=#9933ff][size=1]I think things should stay the way they are and have only Mods, Team Leaders, and Admins be able to delete threads, or else, yeah, someone could come along and delete their thread, even if it has tons of replies. Hey, at least it's not like the default on an invisionfree board where you can't even delete yoru own posts. I've been to several forums like that where the admin didn't bother to change the setting. Made me absolutely crazy.

China, if you would like to remove what you've said, you can always edit your post with something that explains how you have retracted whatever you were going to say, and to ask one of the mods to please delete the thread. I know the exact same feeling you get. It makes [b]you[/b] feel really stupid about your mistake, but [b]no one[/b] (or hardly anyone) on OB will have noticed, and those that did aren't going to say anything mean. Besides, so what if you made a double of a thread, or forgot a rating? I've done much worse than that, and despite what I've always said, no one has ever run after me with a pitchfork. Everyone's too nice for that. ^^; [/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Annie][color=#161414']I am for and against this. There were times where I had made some outrageous, and embarrassing, posts. And if the option of deleting them myself were available, I would have used it. But it's just simple to find out which moderator/team leader is on line and send them a PM. They don't have a problem, as long as you give them a valid reason. [/color][/quote]

[SIZE=1]I had something of a similar experience with a thread a while after posting my first reply here, and at first I was rather embarrassed that I'd posted a thread by accident [testing code] but after a quick polite PM to Dagger it was fixed. You get over the embarrassment, after all life is really just the sum of your experiences, good and bad.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=jblessing]It is not currently possible, nor was I able to find a current modification that does what was suggested.

I think it would be a good idea to let the thread starter delete their topic within [I]x[\I] minutes of creation. If it is something James would want, I would be willing to invest time in to making it.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to give people the ability to delete a thread if there were no other posts apart from the original, this would both safeguard against people deleting large threads but also allow people who post a thread by accident to erase it without needed to ask.[/SIZE]

[color=#D6A204]If it were possible to allow people to delete threads that only contain their own post, then that's something we could definitely do. But that's really up to Justin - if it can be done, though, then I think that would be a good solution.[/color]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=Green]Well here is another Idea...

When you are going to delete thread, a box pops up and you have to fill in the reason you are going to delete it. Like when you click he reort post icon and you have to fill out the little box? Get what Im saying?

Here is an example:

[I]I am going to delete this thead. First of all, I have an improper rating so it will get a lot of comments. Second, no one has replied to it so it's goig down hill. I have way to many threads up and I ned to delete at least one of them.[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]