OtakuBoards

OB Survey

James

What resolution does your computer use?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What resolution does your computer use?

• Higher than 1024x768
    • 1024x768
    • 800x600
    • Lower than 800x600

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium][b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b'][/font][/quote] [color=#9933ff]If I could say the below in a tone of voice, it would be placidly, just to let you know.

[size=1]You're not allowed to become prejudiced against me for my answer, since you asked. Nor is anyone else. You can all PM me respectfully if you wish, but please leave it out of this thread, and don't send me death threats.

And it pains me to say this, but the mods in Otaku Lounge (since I don't visit other areas). All of them are wonderful people, but lacking in coming down on people about tremendously rude behavior. There have been several topics I've seen which I know, in the past, would have been closed shortly after the discussion got so ugly, and yet they remained wide open for people to shout at each other in. I complained about a particular thread once, and [i]nothing[/i], to my knowledge was done by a mod - an influential older member (okay, they joined after me, but they're older) shut down the arguement, without even being mod-like.

And also, I've seen a couple threads, particularly "hot"/debate-type threads, disappear off the face of the earth once or twice, when there wasn't even flaming going on. Locking it would do the same thing.

(For the most part, I can name the actual threads I'm thinking of in either of the above paragraphs, if you wanted proof.)

Not just to you, James, but everyone else, please remember I have a right to my opinion. I hate complaining because it annoys and upsets people, but I've been angry/upset/whatever about this particular problem for a while and not said anything because I didn't want to upset anyone else; however, James is giving me a chance to voice an opinion, and for once, I don't want to sit in silence anymore. Thank you.[/size]

[quote][font=franklin gothic medium][b]B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b][/font][/quote]
I love [most of] the people at OtakuBoards. I'm an oldie, but there's something about this place that keeps bringing me back - I don't know what. Oh, and I guess I like the ratings for the Area; it's nice to peruse things and see what you can expect before clicking on the link. Although, those have been up for a while. ^^;;;

I know that reply is really vague, but how about this: If I'm not complaining about it, assume that everything about the boards is great, and that I like it. Either that, or it's an issue that can't be resolved (I mean, you can't ban the people [i]I, personally[/i] don't like - lol).

-Rox[/color]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff]And also, I've seen a couple threads, particularly "hot"/debate-type threads, disappear off the face of the earth once or twice, when there wasn't even flaming going on. Locking it would do the same thing.
[/color][/QUOTE]
By any chance, are you referring to some of [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=49410][u]these[/u][/url]?

[b]Negative:[/b] Mm... mainly the lack of mods in the Anime Lounge. But I know that it's a transitional thing, so I can't really call it a major complaint. The tendency of members to unrelentingly double (or triple or quadruple) team a lone dissenter is also pretty aggravating, although it's not something I see outside of the OL and S&F. I realize that people can say horrendously stupid things sometimes, but there's no glory in kicking someone when s/he's already down, haha.

[b]Positive:[/b] Ah, I just like this place. Great people.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium]
[b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b][/font][/quote]

[size=1]Honestly? The only thing negative that I've seen on the 'Boards is a [i]very[/i] few members. [strike]Then again, I'm not an ideal person[/strike], and I'm sure I've done things that should[strike]n't[/strike] allow me to say that.

Other than that, there isn't anything technical or quality related aspects I would consider to be negative/confusing. Everything has started to iron itself out. From being here for 2 years, I've only seen vast and incredible improvement; in both members and technical ways.[/size]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium][b]B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b'][/font][/quote]

[size=1]My favorite part of my OB experience is the friendships I've had the honor of making. I love being able to say that I belong here, that I have friends here, and can be considered a second family. It's...something rare to have on the internet. To have a sort of connection with people. I don't talk to many, if any, other people outside of the OB; I just can't trust them. Sure, I've visited other message boards, stayed with them for a few months, but drifted off. And I realized that I can only find that the OB has that quality and charming characteristic. Friendly and a blend of so many different personalities, the OB is absolutely unique. There is no other, nothing even comes close.

The organization of staff and how the 'Boards is ran is probably the most important aspect of the OB, and is what's so amazing. The staff, in my experience, has always been very helpful and guiding. Well, all of the moldy-oldies that is, lol. It's sad to see some of the old staff dwindle away, but it makes more of an impression and impact on how appreciative you are of them. Those that were here a couple to few years ago are the ones who have inspired me and who have helped show me the way. I really miss that, but I'm very apprehensive of the new staff members; and I'm happy to be the "oldie" who helps them, and new incoming members. [/size]

A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?

Well I would say the members who respond to posts only to be rude, childish, or just to be the martyr or victim. And I?m not talking about just newer members either. Fortunately the moderators step in and usually put an end to it fairly quickly. ^_^

B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?

Well to answer that one properly I might just have to start another thread. ^_~ I really like how it doesn?t matter whether or not you are new. I got the same friendly treatment on day one that I get today. The one thing I hated about other boards is that quite often they had their own little group of friends so to speak and quite often-new comers were pretty much ignored. Or the even more stupid response of we don?t associate with people who aren?t teenagers. As if you had to be a teenager to like anime. *duh*

Also, I was quite impressed with the well thought out responses I got to the first thread I ever created here. It really is much more enjoyable to be part of a community that puts emphasis on post quality. It makes the discussions and conversations that much more enjoyable.

I also really like how there is far more to it than just anime, like the art sections, and the otaku lounge for different topics and the area for stories and poetry. ^_^ I could go on but that pretty much sums of the basics of my favorite aspects.

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium][b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b'][/font][/quote]

[color=darkred]Well... to be honest, I haven't noticed anything "bad" or "confusing" myself because I tend to keep it simple in this place. I just log on, read a few threads, post a few posts, and then leave, just as I would in any other forum. I'll leave this one to the more frequent members. ^_^[/color]

[quote][font=franklin gothic medium]B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b][/font][/quote]

[color=darkred]I like how everyone's post quality is up to par. It makes it easy for me to read posts other than my own. If someone makes a bad, near to useless post, then I won't feel an urge to reply to it at all because I'd probably most likely get the same sort of reply. So, I really like how good post quality is enforced around here.[/color]

[COLOR=#FF374C][SIZE=1][B]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/B]
Absolutely nothing at all about the site. Just some choice people that tend to irk me, of course, that's my personal opinion. ^_~

[B]Edit:[/B] [quote name='Brasil']But I do find something incredibly annoying and negative: whiners and martyrs. Sometimes I wish the mods would come down harder on the "victims," because it's a circus act that gets really old, really fast.[/quote]
Exactly.

[B]B) What is your favourite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/B]
I'd have to say the closeness that many members have here. Coming in isn't all that daunting and making friends with people is easy. It's nice to come to a place where people aren't just spamming the place up talking about what ever the hell they want, but they're actually interacting with each other, discussing, and making good friends. Without the OB, I wouldn't have my Unborn Lord Xion, either. Can't forget that.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1][b][u]A)[/u] Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b]
I can?t put member names here can I? Bummer. Hmm? Then I think it?s the lack of links to the OtakuBoards clone. Yup. That?s it.

[i]Edit:[/i] And I copy brasil.

[b][u]B)[/u] What is your favourite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b]
Must be a certain group of members [I]and[/I] the Guild Wars guild.

[quote name='^.^][b]Bases:[/b'] Are belong to me.[/quote]

I?m your fan from now on.[/size]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium][b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b'][/font][/quote]

Nothing that anybody here can fix, that's for sure lol. Out of control debates are a staple of the Internet. It's not as if OB is the only place on the Internet where people act like a-holes to each other during heated debates. Nothing here really confuses me very much. Maybe the slight annoyance of not being able to post events, but that's probably for the best since I'd most likely abuse that privilege. :p

[quote][font=franklin gothic medium][b]B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b][/font][/QUOTE]

[strike]The orgasmic rush of power that comes along with playing god in Play It. Never have I felt such pleasure.[/strike]

Play It is still my favorite part of OB. Posting about video games will never get old. I also enjoy Music, Movies and TV a lot. Those two forums are my homes away from home (even though I sort of [i]am[/i] at home when I'm posting in those forums... what was my point again?) I think that I made more friends via myOtaku than through OB, so that doesn't really apply here. I hate all of you OBers!!!!! :animeangr

EDIT: Gee, what does it say about the Play It mods when we're the only ones joking about abuse of power? :D

[SIZE=1]My resolution is huge. XD

[b]
A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b] I can't think of anything that I really dislike about the forum. New forum skins would be cool, but thats not really a big deal.

[b]B) What is your favourite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b] The art forum, and the friendly staff. Short and sweet. ^_^[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium]It's that time again, my dear children. ~_^
[/font][/QUOTE]

Okay! ^_~ Besides I just can?t ignore a request from someone with a cute Australian accent! ^_~

A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?
[/font][/QUOTE]

Well so far I can?t think of anything that is really negative. I admit that some of the controls confuse me a bit, but I think that?s only because I?ve never been part of an online forum before and not a flaw in the design. But it hasn?t really affected me as several of the members here have helped me with all my questions. ^_^

B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?
[/font][/QUOTE]

I just love how nice everyone here is. I have never felt like a new member as I have always felt welcome here since I joined. I know that others have already said it but I love how there is lots of different things to talk about besides anime. I don?t always comment, but I sure do enjoy reading the different threads that pop up. ^_^

I also love how well moderated it is here as I hate Spam and flame fests, or whatever they call it. So it?s really fun to come to a place that has actual conversations! ^_^

[QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium]It's that time again, my dear children. ~_^

Actually, this time I have a very simple/short little survey for you to take if you are interested. I'd like you to select an option from the poll and then respond to the two questions below. Of course, the survey is entirely optional, but I'd really appreciate it if you take a few moments to provide this really critical feedback.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to use this thread.

Anyway, on to the questions.

[b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?

B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b]

Feel free to answer with as much or as little detail as you like. It's up to you, really.[/font][/QUOTE]

A) One of the most negative things that i don't like about Otakuboards is the rule that you must write a long post or it will be deleted. I find that to be a bit much. I know its to try to cut down on spam, but sometimes people just cannot do it. It also limits to the kind of topics you can put on Otakuboards.

B) The look. I really like the look of Otakuboards. Also, there are soo many intellegent people here that will help you with anything if you just ask them.

soo, yeah. thats what i think.

[COLOR=#757458][SIZE=1][b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b]
[INDENT]Um, it only has two skins, both of which are [i]very blue[/i]. It would be nice if we had a wider selection, yeah?[/INDENT]

[b]B) What is your favourite aspect of OtakuBoards? [/b]
[INDENT]It's got a newbie-friendly staff, ~0% spam and it tastes great with muesli.[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=dposse]A) One of the most negative things that i don't like about Otakuboards is the rule that you must write a long post or it will be deleted. I find that to be a bit much. I know its to try to cut down on spam, but sometimes people just cannot do it. It also limits to the kind of topics you can put on Otakuboards.

[/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I just want to correct this, in case there is a general perception relating to this.

The only thing that about length that I want Moderators to remove is when someone either makes a single-word post (like just saying "Yes" or "No" to a question), or when someone posts something that isn't terribly relevant or doesn't really explain anything.

It is possible to have posts that are only two or three sentences, provided that they are relevant and readable. That's all, really.

So, I just wanted to step in and dispel any idea that we delete posts based on some kind of set number of words or something. Obviously we encourage thoughtful posts, but it is possible to be thoughtful without writing a novel. ~_^

Thanks to everyone for your responses, I am really finding this thread very useful so far. Please feel free to continue responding![/font]

[quote name='Shinmaru']EDIT: Gee, what does it say about the Play It mods when we're the only ones joking about abuse of power? :D[/quote][color=#4B0082]It says we're awesome. Duh! :rolleyes:

But yeah, I just wanted to reinforce what James said: It's not so much length that matters as what's actually being said in a post. There've been times where I've left a single sentence post alone while deleting another that was a paragraph long because the single, clear sentence had more meaning than the other whole paragraph of mindless babble.

Length ≠ Quality[/color]

Agreed. The real problem for me is when people write one or two sentence posts that require several reads to take in or essentially contribute about the same as a one-word post--or when someone has a pattern of posting the absolute minimum in response to everything. The way I see it, if you want to be concise, just make sure your post actually says something. For example, we already know that Sesshomaru is hot and that everyone wants to have his babies. Such a message is much more palatable if it reads easily (adheres to the basic conventions of the language, that is). :)

~Dagger~

[quote name='Mitch][b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b'] People who intentionally post replies to piss people off... I also can't stand pointless debates, and how I'm afraid to post anything nowadays for fear that what I post will be taken apart word-by-word and countered just to be countered... what I say doesn't matter anyway because I seemingly can't have my own opinion without being ripped apart for it...[/quote][font=Garamond][size=2][color=seagreen]I couldn't agree more. Also, it seems as if their's a conspiracy against me on the boards. I always wind up being a thread-killer. Go ahead. Search all my posts and see how many of them were the very last post in their thread. I'm cursed or something. I also think that group or community events should be announced well in advance and the sign-up period should be longer. Many a time have I spent the time filling out applications only to read that the sign-up ended yesterday.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]One more thing (I promise). I think that we (the common folk) should have the ability to use HTML in our posts. I can understand the reasons why that would be a bad idea, but it could also be good. Sometimes vB code just doesn't cut if. If we do have the ability, PLEASE, someone tell me.[/color][/size][/font]

[size=2][b]B) What is your favourite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b][/size]

[font=Garamond][size=2][color=seagreen]Deffinately the quality and "class" of the site. Sure, it's virtually overrun by n00bz, but the mods do an excellent job at keeping them at bay. Kudos to the mods.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Garamond][size=2][color=#2e8b57]There's most certainly more to write about, but my brain won't stop farting.[/color][/size][/font]

[QUOTE=Delta][COLOR=#757458][SIZE=1][b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b]
[INDENT]Um, it only has two skins, both of which are [i]very blue[/i]. It would be nice if we had a wider selection, yeah?[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1]
I agree with Delta here.. A wider selection of skins would be a very nice touch. Other wise I can't really think of anything negative to say about such a great community.[/SIZE]

[b]
B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b]
[/font][/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1]
As for my favourite aspect. I think that the people are great here. A lot of people had pushed my artwork and myself to accomplishments that I would have never dreamed of reaching 3 years ago. It started off with one poorly made banner, and this community has extended my interest in digital art to a place where I'm heavily considering a career in Graphic Art. I would just like to take the time to thank everyone who has ever given me a critique on my artwork because I wouldn't be where I am now without everyone of you. This community has given a lot to me, and I just hope it keeps growing.[/SIZE]

[b]A)[/b] One thing that I find a little irritating at best is the presence of countless locked, but not deleted, threads, especially in places like the Anime Lounge, where most of the spammers seem to abide. (Before they're banned, that is.) It clutters up the forums and isn't really necessary, if the mods are trying to get a point about what not to do across.
Perhaps if one excellent example of what'll get you labeled "SUCK" comes along, then I can understand leaving it present, but a handful of threads entitled "lolz i am luv inuyasha heartheart ^_^_^_^_^" gets old pretty fast.

[b]B)[/b] Our lovely administrator, Skippedry (Dag). : D

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.[/SIZE]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']It's that time again, my dear children. ~_^.[/font][/quote]
[SIZE=1]Oh crap, it was Corey I swear.[/SIZE]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/font][/quote]
[SIZE=1]Honestly the only thing that I could put down as being negative, and really negative is used loosely would be the issues that arise over certain threads in the Lounge. Most people who post regularly already know what I mean, as I'm trying to put it tactfully but bluntly the most negative thing is when debates over things like religious beliefs and homosexual marriage turn personal. I have no problem debating with people on these topics, I do have issue with people who get personal and start insulting people left right and certain over other people's responses.

However this occurs thankfully only every once in a while and seems to have become even more irregular over the years so while it's a negative it doesn't come up very often. The only other thing would be that I think the Arena could do with a few more Ratings, but we discussed this so there's not much more to be said. [/SIZE]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']B) What is your favourite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/font][/quote]
[SIZE=1]There are far too many to list, but my personal favourite aspect would be the level of quality in the Arena or Square to give it it's newer name. For the last four years I've enjoyed story writing with the people here and it's only gotten better as time has gone on, I started off and "grew up" so to speak in the Arena and have always had a soft spot for it. The thing I like most about the Arena and the RPGs therein, is that even if you disagree with someone in say the Lounge, it doesn't matter in the Arena because it's all about the story. [/SIZE]

[b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b][/font][/QUOTE]
Trolling. It happens on every single message board you visit and it really does make the mods walk a fine line. Because of the nature of trolling the author can say...Oh you took that the wrong way, I meant it this way...when in truth they really did mean their statement to be taken in a negative way. Thus making it difficult to take action against the author. Some may see it for what it is, trolling, while other members may see it as abuse of moderator power. You are damned if you do, damned if you don't.

[b]B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b][/font][/QUOTE]
The real sense of community. The members are great on the site and even though we may be from different countries, religions, races, genders..etc..we can all come together and hang out. Good conversation with good people. It's really a wonderful community to be a part of.

The only negative aspect that I can identify is that site navigation can be a bit clunky at times. But then I'm a newbie here and I might just not be used to it yet, so forgive me. As for positives, I must say that the overall content is PHENOMINAL. My congrats to the staff and contributers. I LOVE RP's, so I hope to have the pleasure of getting to know you all in the coming days, weeks, months, years, decades, etc. I DO tend to be rather opinionated, as I am passionate about my beliefs. So if I happen to offend somebody, please accept an early apology. I am pretty thick-skinned, so it's difficult to offend me, so GO FOR IT. I appreciate a lively discourse. :D

[quote name='Panda']Trolling. It happens on every single message board you visit and it really does make the mods walk a fine line. Because of the nature of trolling the author can say...Oh you took that the wrong way, I meant it this way...when in truth they really did mean their statement to be taken in a negative way. Thus making it difficult to take action against the author. Some may see it for what it is, trolling, while other members may see it as abuse of moderator power. You are damned if you do, damned if you don't. .[/quote]

The problem with trolling is that it's too easy for people to take any sort of disagreement or strong difference in opinion. When I go to some forums and someone posts a thread on something, as soon as someone states why they don't like that subject they're considered a "troll" for it. As long as we're only talking about people who systematically just post poorly formatted responses like "man, that guy stinks!" and try to nastily undermine literally anything, then I have no problem with it, but people take the definition way too far in general in my opinion. Flaming has a similar set of issues.

In relation to that, I agree with Mitch's opinion on this... although one has to remember this is a message board and opinions and posts will be refuted or agreed upon all the time. It's the nature of the place. If someone wants to just write a few paragraphs and just have people accept it, I suppose they should just write in their own personal journal lol. Boards don't really act like a space vaccuum.

I think the mods need to be more clearly defined as well. I know there's that one link, but I can't be the only one that never ever notices it there. I was told that was going to be adjusted in the future, however, so I suppose that's going to rectify itself.

I'm also coming into agreement with the suffocating feel. At times I don't feel like I can even post in a basic thread without it resulting in some sort of argument/debate at some point. With the idea of "quality" seems to come the idea that everything has to be taken very seriously and debated until there's one opinion. I think there's room for that in a lot of the threads and it's very understandable (hell, I and everyone else do it at points), but at times it just gets to be too much.

Positives: I like the layout and the things related to that. The myO integration is a nice touch... but I think it would be cool if it was expanded on a bit more, although I don't know how possible that is.

[COLOR=DarkOrange][QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium]
[b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b]

[/font][/QUOTE]

Martyr-posters and, the people who take things [quotes, articles, what-have-you] out of context and then try to manipulate facts to prove their points. Also the facts that

[B]A)[/B] I can only leave those snarky small-text notes in other peoples posts in the Inn/Square, not everywhere...:p
[B]B)[/B] 90% of the n00bs zoom [b]right[/b] to my territory
[B]C)[/B] I'm only allowed to lock things for bad grammar and spelling, and lack of rating, and not lack-of-any-story-what-so-ever-hiding-behind-a-backstory-that's-[b]just[/b]- long enough.

Also, we need an orange skin. Yes.

[b]B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b]

[/font][/QUOTE]

The people are friendly, most of the Inn regulars post and play nicely, and the art forum is really fun, most of the time. I've always found it easy to navigate, and I like the easy customizations.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Ozymandius Jones][COLOR=DarkOrange]
[B]B)[/B] 90% of the n00bs zoom [b]right[/b] to my territory
[B]C)[/B] I'm only allowed to lock things for bad grammar and spelling, and lack of rating, and not lack-of-any-story-what-so-ever-hiding-behind-a-backstory-that's-[b]just[/b]- long enough.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I concur that leaving the Adventure Arena under just one moderator horrified me at first, especially considering the amount of ignorant kids flooding it, but James assured that he's "hiring" more people there in the near future, so your burden will be lightened, Ozy. I feel for you, nevertheless. ;)

But you say you don't feel you can't involve yourself with so-called crappy games created there? Why not? I feel that a part of the quality of the Arena comes from quality games, and if somebody makes a game with a story including two paragraphs of nonsense, I think it's justified that the creator is notified by it and the thread is locked.

You're the moderator, Ozy, you have the power - use it well! ;D