OtakuBoards

OB Survey

James

What resolution does your computer use?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What resolution does your computer use?

• Higher than 1024x768
    • 1024x768
    • 800x600
    • Lower than 800x600

[font=franklin gothic medium]It's that time again, my dear children. ~_^

Actually, this time I have a very simple/short little survey for you to take if you are interested. I'd like you to select an option from the poll and then respond to the two questions below. Of course, the survey is entirely optional, but I'd really appreciate it if you take a few moments to provide this really critical feedback.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to use this thread.

Anyway, on to the questions.

[b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?

B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b]

Feel free to answer with as much or as little detail as you like. It's up to you, really.[/font]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']It's that time again, my dear children. ~_^[/quote][/font]

[color=crimson]Okay, Papa.[/color]

[quote=James][font=franklin gothic medium]
[b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b][/quote][/font]

[color=crimson]I don't think there is anything I find negative that could be changed by the staff. Everything is adequate.[/color]

[quote name='James][b][font=franklin gothic medium']B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b][/quote][/font]

[color=crimson]Are you looking for a technical/aesthetic aspect or something more personal? If it's the latter I'd have to say I always enjoyed the colorful populace that seems to frequent this place. This community is unique to say the least.[/color]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b]
Eh... the atmosphere can be suffocating sometimes. Especially when someone takes it upon themselves to become personal martyr for [insert cause] in the middle of a thread. There's very little you can do regarding that though, apart from whipping and hot oil - neither of which is legal (yet ¬¬).

[b]B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b]
The Arena. The Arena is awesome. I'm also partial to Play It, heh. Nothing in particular jumps out though. It's just a forum, yo.

[b]C) General comment:[/b]
De-attaching myOtaku accounts as an option, please, especially if the account isn't actually in use anymore, or is turned off. It's just irrelevant, heh, and leads to an empty or turned off site. [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']It's that time again, my dear children. ~_^[/font][/quote]
[size=1]YAY!
Wait a second... It's not time for you to steal Christmas yet.[/size]
[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium][b]A) Which aspect of [qOtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b'][/font][/quote]
[size=1]Personally, I've never been able to (ever since we switched to 7) get the correct time for me on the boards. If I turn DST on, it reads a hour less than my time. If I turn it off, it reads a hour later than what it should be. I'm not sure if it's just my browser (Safari 2.0.1), or just something I'm missing. It's nothing major, but thought I'd mention it.[/size]
[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium][b]B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b'][/font][/quote]
[size=1]My absolute favorite aspect is, and will always be, the Adventure Arena/Inn. Just seeing the stories people come up with, from all levels of experience, just boggles my mind. And how a story can morph and change into something completely different with the players there is amazing.[/size]

I tend to echo Rene (sorry, but you don't get the special character this time =p).

[font=franklin gothic medium][b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b][/font]

Honestly? Nothing technical, really. It's a nice, streamlined system and UI. I've never had a problem navigating anything.

But I do find something incredibly annoying and negative: whiners and martyrs. Sometimes I wish the mods would come down harder on the "victims," because it's a circus act that gets really old, really fast.

[font=franklin gothic medium][b] B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b][/font]

My favorite aspect...oddly enough (particularly in light of my least favorite aspect) is the membership here. The comraderie on OB is really nice, and even when you piss some people off really badly, they're still there for you. It's quite lovely.

Similarly, the post decency is spectacular--the mods' post decency, at least. I frequent a few other messageboards, namely a Guild Wars one, and I'm constantly amazed at how rampantly cruel and ignorant those other boards are...[i]especially[/i] their mod staff. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say those mods are entirely corrupt. I hear it's even worse at other GW forums.

But never have I ever seen that type of corruption here, and it's wonderful. Partly due to a small, close-knit group, and partly due to just a damn fine staff selection, the mod staff here is second to none.

[b][font=Verdana][color=blue]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Verdana][color=blue][/color][/font][/b]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]There really isn't anything I can think of that I find negative that can be changed really.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue][/color][/font]
[b][font=Verdana][color=blue]B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Verdana][color=blue][/color][/font][/b]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]I really like the friendly atmosphere here. Whether it's just to talk or to get some help, there is always someone here and they're (almost) always very kind about it.[/color][/font]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Georgia][B]Which aspect of the OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/B]

Hmm...this is actually a sort of tough question. If I were to pick something, though, it would be the hardship of trying to contact many people at once. Sure, we've got our PM system (which is terrific), but if we need to get the same message to a large amount of people (say a certain private conversation between a few people about a certain aspect of a RP *looks at "Assassin Academy"*), there's really no quick efficient way to do it. I'm not sure that can be fixed, though, so I'll shut up and deal with it. XD

[B]What's your favorite aspect of the OtakuBoards?[/B]

A few, actually. One is the free range of things we can put in our signatures. Like images. Lots of places won't let you put any images at all in your signatures (I actually belong to a few...it sorta stinks ><;; ).

Also, I like the wide range of topics we can cover in various places. Most namely, the Otaku Lounge.

All in all, this place kicks major as*. ^-^ Keep up the good work![/FONT][/SIZE]

[color=darkblue][b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b]

I've never really found anything annoying or wrong with OB, other than the fact that I seem to be the only one on the entire board unable to put up a public event. >.>;

To echo what a lot of people have said, I love the members here. While there are those that take things farther than necessay, the population as a whole are a very nice lot to talk to. Those snazzy banner designs aren't anything to sneeze at, either. lol[/color]

[font=Verdana][size=1][color=black][b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?

[/b]I personally wouldn't wish anything to change. My only problem every now and then is that I lack an interest to post... but that's personal. ^_^ OB is a wonderful place, and it's future is bright in my eyes.[/color][/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1][color=black][b]
B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?

[/b]Quite possibly the userbase. I've made many a friend here, and been pushed to new limits because of this place. The members, and our strive for quality help me better my self... well... in written form atleast.

[/color][/size][/font]

[B]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/B]
Aside from personal issues, I can think of very little technical stuff at OB that irks or confuses me. Maybe the fact that OB used to be much more "catering" in the past. These past few new versions have been quite stripped off and compressed, at least in relation of sections and threads etc.

I don't know, maybe it's a good thing the amount of sections has critically decreased, but in my opinion, considering the massive amount of users here, these boards could be broader (not including myOtaku or theOtaku, of course).

[B]B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/B]
Arena Underground, absolutely! That was a great invention! And public events, they really spice up the everyday life here!

I can't wait to see what you and your little helpers have planned for the future, Jamesy! ;D

[b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b] People who intentionally post replies to piss people off. Now, I'm not throwing names out, but you catch my drift. I also can't stand pointless debates, and how I'm afraid to post anything nowadays for fear that what I post will be taken apart word-by-word and countered just to be countered (this is why I don't even bother posting; what I say doesn't matter anyway because I seemingly can't have my own opinion without being ripped apart for it). Overall, this place has become a lot more hostile for me, so I stray from it.

[b]B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b] Anthology and Play It. Also the people I've met here and continue to know. To be honest, my interest in this place has heavily waned, but I come every so often.

[b]Which aspect of [/b][b]OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?

[/b][color=Navy]I think the most negative part of OB are the spammers. It has reduced lately but it gets on my nerves because it's a waste of space.

[/color] [b]What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?

[/b][color=Navy]My most favourite part will definately have to be The Arena. That's where I spend the majority of the time. I learned how to RP on OB and now I've stuck to it. It's fun to be creative through writing while interacting with others.[/color]

[size=1][b]Negative[/b]: I'd love to see some more Community Wide Events. I understand that flooding us with them isn't necessarily good, but I'd love a few more anyway, heh.

[b]Positive[/b]: The people this place has connected me with. The emphasis on quality and the open atmosphere of the boards has been a large feature of my life these past few years.[/size]

[size=1][B]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/B]
Well, you know when you Quick Reply sometimes, it automatically takes away the "Show your signature" check box, which really bugs me. So I have to end up rechecking it when I edit my post. What a drag.

As for the rest, I love OB. You're so perfect. *cuddles*[/size]

[COLOR=DarkRed]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?

What I really find annoying is that there are so many PM's of mine, yet, whenever I need to find a specific one, it takes forever. Maybe put a PM search system like Gmail has for it's email.

No favorite threads[/COLOR]

Guest djehutys song
Hi!

In reply to A:
Can't really complain since I've only joined less than 48 hours ago and its the first board I've ever joined.
Everything seems pretty straightforward and the design is nice.

In reply to B:
This board has a relaxed open atmosphere, which is nice.
I am very busy almost always, and I hope what humble contributions I make help to enhance and promote goodwill.

Blessings of Thoth be with you all

Odin

[SIZE=1][b]Negatives:[/b] Urm...hmm...ohhh...nope, can't think of anything. Not very useful, I know, but its the truth.

[b]Favourites:[/b] I love the extent of debate that can often turn up from odd little threads in the Lounge. The population of OB is wide and varied, and I love community events...even though I don't get picked for most of them ¬_¬.[/SIZE]

[B]What do you find to be most negative about the site:[/B]
I guess the fact that I'm constantly worrying if my post quality is up to scratch. but that's just down to me. This sight is great.

[B]What favorites do you have in the site:[/B] I'd have to say (as lots of people has said before) the member base and the staff team. the staff teamare without a doubt the best I have ever encountered on the web, both in post quality and empathic quality.

[SIZE=1]This sucks because I haven't been able to get online for so long. Curse my bad DSL connection.

[B]What do you find to be most negative about the site:[/B]
Hmm..although I wouldn't say anything wrong with otakuboards *coughs* I definately have to comment that well I haven't been able to logg on and obtain my password from MyOtaku. It says it doesn't recognize my email although I know I typed it in right and have tried since like a month ago. The staff hasn't even got back to me yet. Despite that, nothing is wrong with the boards, I just wish I could use myotaku already.

[B]What favorites do you have in the site:[/B] When I could come here more often, I would definately say the members and hospitality they have showed me. I definately would love to re-unite with some members and also loving meeting new people as well. Otherwise my favorite part of OB would definately have to be the Adventure Inn, I love looking at new RPGS and creative ideas that people come up with. I also have made quite a few RPGS myself (which I haven't been able to post due to lack of internet) and find that your allowed to express that creativity. I really like that they are becomming more strict on boundaries, it only makes for better quality.
[/SIZE]

[Color=DarkBlue][B]Negatives:[/B] I can't figure out Quick Reply. I never have been able to, and don't plan to. It scares me.

[B]Positives:[/B] The "Atmospshere". OB is the place to chill, hang out, pull up a chair, and meet new people. I know for alot of people it's where they've met friends, and lvoed ones, and it's just cool like that.

[B]Bases:[/B] Are belong to me.

Or is it neutrals....?[/color]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium'] It's that time again, my dear children. ~_^.[/font][/quote]

[color=darkviolet]: :animeblus Wait, I'm two years older than you![/color]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium][b']A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?.[/font][/quote][/b]

[color=darkviolet]I can't use the my Otaku function! Maybe it's juts because I'm semi illiterate when it comes to computers.

I'm also a bit miffed ( nice word, huh?) that two of my threads which had gotten well thought out replies were deleted while a post that had spammy replies was still up. That confuses me since usually it's the spammy threads that are closed first.[/color]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium][b] What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b'].[/font][/quote]

[color=darkviolet]The fact that I get to express my opinion and no one can come over to my house and beat me up. I'm sorry, but I can't think of a better reason right now.

I just did,

The people here are really nice - even Alex and Ryan once you get to know them- everyone is pretty openminded and supportive.[/color]

[color=#4B0082][b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b]

The way vB handles the re-ordering of avatars makes it a lot more trouble to alphabetize them and such than it should be. And some other parts of the mod/admin control panels are a little less user friendly than they could be. But those are faults of the software itself, not OB in particular, so meh.

The only other things that come to mind have to do with stuff that people (no, I don't have anyone specific in mind) post on OB, rather than OB itself. So I don't think those would really count, considering there's always people who write less than great posts. If there weren't, I would've been out of a job here long ago. :p

[strike]Me, I like playing god with peoples' accounts. It's funny to watch them beg.[/strike] ... Er, just ignore that bit. :animeswea

I've always liked being able to come here to read and take part in discussions about video games in the gaming forums. (Whatever they've happened to be at the time, from the console/series forums to the consolidated Play It forum.) With the standard of quality here being higher than most other boards on the net, there's always been a lot more threads that I actually care to read and reply to than I find elsewhere.[/color]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']It's that time again, my dear children.[/font][/quote]

I wanted to make a joke about this but I was beat to it by everyone else. ^^;;

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium][b]A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?[/b'][/font][/quote]

Negative? Confusing? Nothing much. Though it'd be cool to have new skins. LOL.

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium][b]B) What is your favorite aspect of OtakuBoards?[/b'][/font][/quote]

My favourite aspect is the focus on intelligent conversation. Most other forums are quite messy when it comes to this.

-ArV

[color=#6699cc][b]The Good[/b]: There is a great sense of community. And better yet, most of the site is a very welcoming community. Even with close-knit groups, there's a mininum of cliqueish behavior, and new members are welcomed with open arms and encouragement. I think that's great, and it's hard to find on other sites.

[b]The Bad:[/b] My main beef with the site right now is how ready and willing people are to jump all over each other in the Suggestions forum. Sage's recent thread was an extreme example of this, but people tend to immediately belittle anyone who makes an honest suggestion for improvement. OB is certainly a high-quality site, but that doesn't (and never will) mean it can't be [i]better[/i].

It also bothers me how friends of staff members tend to act as though they are above the rules. Even as a staff member, I find it hard to know where to draw the line on some of their posts, especially as precedent doesn't step in often.

[b]The Ugly:[/b] The Skin selections! Dear lord, could we [i]get[/i] any [b]bluer[/b]?! :p[/color]

[QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium]
A) Which aspect of OtakuBoards do you find to be the most negative/confusing?
[/font][/QUOTE]
Over all there isn't much that I consider negative. Sure there are members who post just to annoy others or to play the martyr or victim, but so far I've been impressed wtih how the moderators step in and keep it from getting out of hand.

[QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium]
[/font][/QUOTE]
I really like how there is actually conversations instead of just pointless spamming which seems to be so common at other forums. And I really like how there are sections besides anime, like Otaku Lounge, so you can discuss lots of different topics.

I also like how the avatars and signatures are done. I've been to sites where they don't put a limit on the size and as a result it is utter chaos as members will use pictures in their signature that take an entire page. The way it is done here lets you personalize your posts without distracting from the actual topic.