OtakuBoards

Changes to Certain Forums

James

Look, just make it so that anyone can a custom avatar, and I bet you that a fair amount of people will care less about the post count. But, get off of the GnS forum. I come to Discussion to talk, and I go to GnS to play. There is nothing wrong with that. If you catch spam in there, fine I'll bet you that there is some spam in almost every topic. I don't intentionally spam and my post count should more than show that. Being a college student I don't always have a lot of time on my hands, otherwise I probably would have a high number of posts, because I really like this place. My point is, if you suggest extreme measures, you should be fair to eveyone, regardless of where most of their posts are. With all respect, as admins, mods, gods or whatever, you all should keep things in perspective. That's just how I feel.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Darkness [/i]
[B]My point is, if you suggest extreme measures, you should be fair to eveyone, regardless of where most of their posts are. With all respect, as admins, mods, gods or whatever, you all should keep things in perspective. That's just how I feel. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]We created ranks with the idea that people would smoothly move up the ranks as they post.

We have no problem with people liking their post counts, or aiming to achieve a higher rank...however, sometimes people deliberately spam in order to achieve the rank sooner. It's not about achieving the rank sooner -- the rank is designed to symbolize how long that member has been at OtakuBoards.com.

So it's got nothing to do with post counts -- we just use post counts as an indicator to provide an idea as to how long each member has been here.

Ranks have much more to do with time than post activity.

And therefore, we've made it so that people's post counts won't go up in the Introduction, Suggestions and Test forums. That way, there can be very little abuse of the system.

This measure is definitely designed to keep things in perspective. It provides a fair chance to those who are abiding by the rules and posting with good quality.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[color=crimson][size=1]This measure is definitely designed to keep things in perspective. It provides a fair chance to those who are abiding by the rules and posting with good quality.[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

That's all I wanted to hear. Thanks.

[SIZE=1]Yeah, nice one... I think I suggested it along with someone else in Suggestions... :p:D:D

Anyway, yeah, I like kuja's idea of instead of posts, it gives you time, but it says your posts anyway... but you may not be able to do it with this software.[/SIZE]

darn it if your post count is meant to show how long you've been in otaku, I suppose no-one will believe me that i was in otaku ages before it was revamped. . darn. By the way, its a good idea to let ppls instantly have their own custom avatar, it might cut down a quarter of the spam

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]actually the mods are getting really good at cutting down more and more of the "less obvious threads" i wont say exactly what so that people dont try to get around it... lol but i will say this... watch what you post... cause we are ;)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Interesting....I never went into any of those topics...well once or twice to see what they were bouts...never posted...that I can think of...anyways....what's this about G&S!?!? bah!! most((from what I have seen)) of us are not spamers in their TN!! my post count is high, sure, but that's because I like the games in their...*shrugs* dosn't matter anyways...I just find Rpg's interesting and have made many a friend through them...and discusing this were a lot of gamers don't go...that's not fair!!...I come in GD too though...a few things are interesting in here...although I didn't come in GD till ohh after my first week...the friends I have made here are from G&S...so I wasn't to ken bout that whole G&S suggestion...I know it wouldn't affect me...much....but then then I couldn't get a custom if I wanted to...sides that I don't really care...It is interesting to see the ranks as your post count increases...and I find it amusing when people im me and tell me I got no life((you know who you are))but I already know that...but the ranks also make for a good topic of discusion amongst friends everynow and then....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]
Regardless, I also think you should do the same to the G&S forum.... after all this is a MESSAGE board used for discussion... not a GAME board used for Role Playing or spamming useless topics. Thats just what I think.... you can do that, but shouldn't get posts for it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ya know, for once, i actually agree with ya there,TN. that is a very good idea...

[size=1]I think G&S should allow posts to count. But that means more work for mods. Bah. More mods wouldn't work. Would it? Bah, I don't know.

As for my post count, I could give a damn. Sure, I liked seeing 'Otaku' under my name, but it's ok. If anyone dares say to me ''Haha, youre just a member, haha im a otaku'', I swear they will know the true meaning of fear. But not in a thread. No... Anyway, I will find a way to become a otaku again. I know I haven't been around much to post, but I've been workin on my vB, school reports, life(Not in that particular order. lol). But the Immortal One shall stay a true-blue OtakuBoards.com fan...foreva. Unless you ban me for no aparent reason. lol. j/k. I'll just come back, and not pull the same dumb-arse stunts again. lmao! So, that's just my feedback.
Neil[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kuja [/i]
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]y dont we just reset everyone to 0 and then turn all of them off? that would be so much ezier :) have it go off of time not posts lol[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]
That's exactly what I've been thinking ever since I came to this board! Base your rank on time, instead of post counts. You could still have post counts, but I don't think they should count as anything.
Also, at the board that I used to go to (before I came to this one) you didn't get an avatar, sig, post count, nothing. All you got was your user name... and that was it. (Until recently, when they added that stuff in.) And you know what? There was barely any spam at all!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by jcgoudy [/i]
[B]
That's exactly what I've been thinking ever since I came to this board! Base your rank on time, instead of post counts. You could still have post counts, but I don't think they should count as anything.
[/B][/QUOTE]
No, because that would create problems: If a guest registers, and then never comes back like some of these stupid idiots in the member list, he could be the top ranked member, and not even have posted a single post yet!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Squashed Snail [/i]
[B]
No, because that would create problems: If a guest registers, and then never comes back like some of these stupid idiots in the member list, he could be the top ranked member, and not even have posted a single post yet! [/B][/QUOTE]

I think they should have it on how long you have been logged in on the boards, not posts. Because it shows you spend time on the boards, not just come on quickly and Spam away. Plus no one could be bothered setting up a system to stay on-line all the time. And even if they did... They would just be banned, because it would be so blatantly obvious. The point is; it should be kind of like Time on the boards and post count combined, that way only the people who deserve to be respected because of there ranks will be.

[color=indigo]I have an idea! Have post counts, but make it so you go straight to Member status when you get 25 posts. Make it so Members can have custom avatars. That way, everyone will be equal in rank, and you won't have people spamming so they can get a custom avatar. Make the Member status the highest status (besides Mod, God/Goddess & Admin) and you won't have people looking down on other people because they have a higher rank.
If it was setup like this, you wouldn't have to worry about threads like the Padded Room Party! that don't really have a purpose, but are just generally fun.
With it like this, people can feel good about their post counts, but it won't reflect their rank. People that sign up but never post won't have a high rank because it won't be based on time. Keep the bit of text by your post count/location that says when you registered, and people will know how long they've been here but it won't reflect their rank.

What I'm getting at, is that there won't be a reason to post tons and tons of posts so that people can get a higher rank or custom avatar. There wouldn't really be any reason to spam, since you can have a custom avatar almost immediatly, and your rank won't go up because you have tons of posts.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]

I would doubt that... Kuja isn't out of a job... if he becomes to bored, we can always throw him on Games and Stories, but then we mise-well just delete the whole forum lol

Regardless, I also think you should do the same to the G&S forum.... after all this is a MESSAGE board used for discussion... not a GAME board used for Role Playing or spamming useless topics. Thats just what I think.... you can do that, but shouldn't get posts for it. [/B][/QUOTE]

true dat lol

but anyway i think iz a good idea