OtakuBoards

Please take this maturely

Pressure

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]

It's what he said, not what you said.

And I deleted what he said.... there was something else in it's place.... Basically saying that if you didn't believe in God you were wrong and then some other rude comments that have no place here. [/B][/QUOTE]

Listen i don't wanna be on anyones bad side but it was just a joke. And i'm sorry for just getting upset if my religeion is put down and people say my belief isn't real. I know they are just saying they don't and not telling anyone else to do the same but it still isn't ok to just watch and say nothing. Do you understand at all what i'm saying here?

And yes limache turns into darth vader but could we please get back to the subject here??

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B]

[color=deeppink]I hate to get off topic in here, but...yes. It would be (as I said) oddly awesome if Jedi was a religion *realizes everyone is glaring at her, runs away to hide with her lightsaber*.

Eh...but anyway...is it safe to say this in here? I think that the whole made-up Jedi stuff is actually really cool. They follow a very strict moral code of conduct (hence, it is called the Jedi Code, something that I could recite for you, but shall spare you the pain...)

Anyway, the whole idea of Jedi-ism (the teachings and beliefs rather than the "using the Force") is actually [i]based[/i] on Christianity.

So yes...Anakin Skywalker, the "chosen one"...the one to bring peace to the galaxy? We shall see, but...sounds a lot like the prophecy of Jesus...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm a Jedi lol

Umm Umm Umm.... Yes, the whole Star Wars plot is based right off of Christianity.... yep yep... Ofcourse, Anakin would be the representation of Satan.... Being good, then becoming bad (Satan was an angel, then thrown down into hell blah blah blah).... Luke would be the representation of Jesus.... The Force is God... etc etc...Thats for anyone who couldn't figure it out.... or did I just ruin a spoiler or something... I dunno lol...

o.O way off topic.....anyways....

I am unsure as to my beliefs...I certanly don't belong to any religon!! I am not even sure if their is a higher power...Who says their has to be? To me Religon and God were created so we wouldn't have to be afraid...To explain what couldn't be and to blame someone else for our probelms and so we could feel like their was something or reason for our exsistance... IMO we don't need that anymore...but that is kinda off subject...as to humans being flawed...who says we were even created by a perfect or even higher being in the first place?...maybe we evolved...and maybe we arn't done evolving yet?...or maybe their isn't anything as perfect...I mean who says god/dess's are perfect? To us they may seem that way....but I doubt anything is perfect...even if it does supposedly exsist where we can't prove it's exsistants...as for me...I think that their might be something...not higher life form because as to what's higher...all depends on your point of view...to us something might seems corect and moraly right...but to another lifeform it might seem evil...hell even to other humans it might...

ok enough ranting...will continue after comments are made...*grins*Mormons....mmmms....don't know much about it...just another sect of Christanity so far as I know...and that we have some kid that dosn't like Mormons at my school...*shrugs*...I find the internally struggles of christanity amusing...which will be really funny if we find out their all wrong...no offesnse to anyone ment...

Let me throw this into the equation:

The bible was not the first book or writing ever found. In a mythology class I took last semester, we learned about some of the earlier writings. And the ironic thing is that there are connections leading directly from ancient indo-european(sp?) writing that explains the origin of many religions. For ex. the egyptian gods all had animal heads right? That is connected to the fact that it was a period of time when some greek gods were hiding themselves from Typhoeus(sp? again). And there is even writings linking disciples and their writing of the bible to greek myth. I remind you, this writing is like linear script b, which is far before the bible's time in the lime light. How do you figure it all in?
Furthermore, The greek gods are now looked at as myth. Who is to say that won't happen to the god we worship? Ask your pastor, preacher, reverand or whoever questions outside of their bible, and I bet they probably can't answer. When you follow a book, of any sort, there are always limitations. How good is religion to you then?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Harry [/i]
[B]nope. i don't believe in him. [/B][/QUOTE]

If you don't belive in God then why is your avatar a picture of what most pictures have of Jesus?

btw- God's name is "Father, Holy Spirit, and Son (son aka Jesus)". They are all god. He is three different people.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Darkness [/i]
[B]Let me throw this into the equation:

The bible was not the first book or writing ever found. In a mythology class I took last semester, we learned about some of the earlier writings. And the ironic thing is that there are connections leading directly from ancient indo-european(sp?) writing that explains the origin of many religions. For ex. the egyptian gods all had animal heads right? That is connected to the fact that it was a period of time when some greek gods were hiding themselves from Typhoeus(sp? again). And there is even writings linking disciples and their writing of the bible to greek myth. I remind you, this writing is like linear script b, which is far before the bible's time in the lime light. How do you figure it all in?
Furthermore, The greek gods are now looked at as myth. Who is to say that won't happen to the god we worship? Ask your pastor, preacher, reverand or whoever questions outside of their bible, and I bet they probably can't answer. When you follow a book, of any sort, there are always limitations. How good is religion to you then? [/B][/QUOTE]

Of course the bible isn't the only scriptural writing out there, and the bible was never necessarily 'found' all nice and compiled as is now. There are a lot of ties to a lot of things that many people don't know about. Although what exactly you are getting at in your first paragraph is fuzy to me.... what point were you making? Some of the disciples' writing is Greek myth?? Well, it can't be a myth if it's staring at you in the face. Granted it's been altered in some form or another, but it's still there.

What kind of limitations are you speaking of? Limitations of....... understanding? Knowledge? Truth? Depends on the book and the person(s). Perhaps the person isn't quite smart enough, or rather doesn't actually want to learn in the first place. And then, because of their own limitations/short-comings, they blame the book or whatever because they don't understand it. A student in algebra II refuses to learn the algebra because they don't understand the text book or like what it says. Then when they fail the class, they in turn say that it is the algebra book's fault for their failing. Is the algebra book wrong? Would the school board allow it to be distibuted if it was full of error and incomprehensible? I [i]highly[/i] doubt it.

Thus, it is the same with many people and the bible, or any scripture for that matter. Heck, anything! And that is where your limitations come in: the people. Scripture is [i]supposed[/i] to serve as an instructional guide. If you choose to not follow or look at a map on the interstate, you're as likely to end up lost as you are to remember to take the right turn so you don't end up in Canada or something (or whereever relates to you). This is how good religion is; or how it ought to be. Whether or not yours or whoevers is like this, I dunno, it's not my problem.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RicoTranzrig [/i]
[B]Who officially compiled the Bible? [/B][/QUOTE]

Over time, different monks gathered the writings and had at them. Some of the manuscripts no doubt fell into the wrong hands. I'm not sure if there is a one particualr person who first compiled the bible. There are TONS of different ones. For example, the King James version (the one I read) was compiled or whatever to his liking; I suppose he oversaw what was put in it or something. :confused: That would be something interesting to do more research on, eh? :)

Actully if history is any teacher...which it is...then christanty will poubably die out...one day in the future our great great great grand children will proubably be wondering what the 'ell we were thinking when we though about this stuff...course they might not be....

here's a question...what if all the religons are right...? it could be very possible...

as far as the bible goes...was it origonally written in...o.O well I know latin but something before that like hebrew or something...I can't remember....and I got a question...why does everyone think Jesus was white...?...he wasn't...he was more like an arab...I don't care if you are god if you live in the dessert your gettin a tan!!...I believe the man exsisted as to the miracles he preformed...who knows...coulda been an act of some god/dess or coulda been just a human/human spirit who was more evolved...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Anti [/i]
[B]Actully if history is any teacher...which it is...then christanty will poubably die out...one day in the future our great great great grand children will proubably be wondering what the 'ell we were thinking when we though about this stuff...course they might not be....

here's a question...what if all the religons are right...? it could be very possible...

as far as the bible goes...was it origonally written in...o.O well I know latin but something before that like hebrew or something...I can't remember....and I got a question...why does everyone think Jesus was white...?...he wasn't...he was more like an arab...I don't care if you are god if you live in the dessert your gettin a tan!!...I believe the man exsisted as to the miracles he preformed...who knows...coulda been an act of some god/dess or coulda been just a human/human spirit who was more evolved... [/B][/QUOTE]

I think a lot of religions have some truth in them. I'm open to see just how much everyone has or doesn't have in common, especially when comparing them to what I believe. It actually helps me, because while learning about one other religion, I somehow also learn about my own, or how certain things fit and where the differences come in. Anyway, yeah, I guess a lot of the bible was written in latin and Hebrew. Latin and Hebrew especially in the New Testament. There are probably more languages in the Old Testament, like Egyptian for one. As for Jesus being 'white', he's Jewish, so he'd look like whatever a Jew looked like back then. He probably had a tan (lol) I don't know. I think you could probably find out more about that if you were to look at where the different civilizations were at this time, and if some of a different 'tint' were in the area of present-day Israel. Also, it's just a painter's opinion. I've seen pictures of Jesus blonde. Altough I don't think that's possible, w/ Scandinavians so far up north, I don't ever recall them journeying so far down south. Interesting topic...

[SIZE=1] [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Anna [/i]
[B]

Of course the bible isn't the only scriptural writing out there, and the bible was never necessarily 'found' all nice and compiled as is now. There are a lot of ties to a lot of things that many people don't know about. Although what exactly you are getting at in your first paragraph is fuzy to me.... what point were you making? Some of the disciples' writing is Greek myth?? Well, it can't be a myth if it's staring at you in the face. Granted it's been altered in some form or another, but it's still there.

What kind of limitations are you speaking of? Limitations of....... understanding? Knowledge? Truth? Depends on the book and the person(s). Perhaps the person isn't quite smart enough, or rather doesn't actually want to learn in the first place. And then, because of their own limitations/short-comings, they blame the book or whatever because they don't understand it. A student in algebra II refuses to learn the algebra because they don't understand the text book or like what it says. Then when they fail the class, they in turn say that it is the algebra book's fault for their failing. Is the algebra book wrong? Would the school board allow it to be distibuted if it was full of error and incomprehensible? I [i]highly[/i] doubt it.

Thus, it is the same with many people and the bible, or any scripture for that matter. Heck, anything! And that is where your limitations come in: the people. Scripture is [i]supposed[/i] to serve as an instructional guide. If you choose to not follow or look at a map on the interstate, you're as likely to end up lost as you are to remember to take the right turn so you don't end up in Canada or something (or whereever relates to you). This is how good religion is; or how it ought to be. Whether or not yours or whoevers is like this, I dunno, it's not my problem. [/B][/QUOTE[/SIZE]
Wow *clapping* you do alot of seminary+reading and stuff

actully as far as religon goes....I ain't athies((I can't spell...pronounce the words like ummm who knows...))...I am err...believe it is called..Agnostic...I won't say it exsist...but I won't won't say it exsist either...unless I really feel strongly bout it...I also like to talk to people about their religon becuase it gets me insight into them and their religon...them because it show you what kind of things appeal to them...and religon is just interesting...as far as scribtures go...I don't think the error is completely human...ok so it has to be as scribtures are created by humans...so their is bound to be error as man is a creature of error...but I think that is an advatage...imagine how boring life would be if we were all perfect *images it*...gods that would suck...anyways a book is nothing more then a guide...It is completely up to the reader to understand it...and as far as the bible goes...I don't think it was ment to be taken litterally...more like a story book..with some good morals in it...of course as I said...our morals arn't nessacerly "right" to someone else they could be evil...just because we see something as right to another group of people it might be wrong and something we see as wrong right...take canniblism...most of humanity sees canniblism as ebil and gross...but to some it is merely another part of their society...a lot of things are like this...we can't say something is "right" or "wrong" for..."The world is not black and white, only shades of grey"...so the ten commandments...I say their wrong...to an extent anyway *dodges sharp pointy objects flying at him*

[color=deeppink]So how many of you again are LDS? I think it was something like 4 of you...

I was brought up as a Methodist, which is a semi-liberal, sorta modern denomination of Christianity. As well as being taught that killing and swearing and having premarital sex is wrong, I was taught that [i]Mormonism[/i] is wrong.

I was first exposed to this sort of religious discrimination in my 8th grade Sunday school class, and it shocked the hell out of me to hear. I didn't understand why if somebody believed in God, how it could possibly be wrong? Hence, started my declining trust in the words and ways of the church.

I have a friend who, being more than willing to [angrily] argue against anything but Christianity (she is Baptist) yet NOT an example Christian by ANY means, still talks spitefully about Mormons and says "it's a cult, it's a cult", refusing to accept anything but what she has been brainwashed into believing. I think it's sad that she uses her religious background as her excuse as to why she dislikes Mormons, yet cannot seem back up her constant hate for others of her love of swear [eh, cuss*] words. It's completely hypocritical.

I, on the other hand, resort back to my statements about not knowing what to believe, but [i]wanting[/i] to believe in a great power that brings peace and joy and good-doing to all of those who believe in it.

And, once again, I repeat my often pondered question...Who are the Christians to say their religion is the only one that is correct, and that all others are wrong? It's pompous if you ask me :rolleyes:[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Anna [/i]
[B]

Thus, it is the same with many people and the bible, or any scripture for that matter. Heck, anything! And that is where your limitations come in: the people. Scripture is [i]supposed[/i] to serve as an instructional guide. If you choose to not follow or look at a map on the interstate, you're as likely to end up lost as you are to remember to take the right turn so you don't end up in Canada or something (or whereever relates to you). This is how good religion is; or how it ought to be. Whether or not yours or whoevers is like this, I dunno, it's not my problem. [/B][/QUOTE]

What I'm trying to make you see the big picture in my first paragraph. The links involved. The bible is a story that is/was continually modified throughout time. It's connections lead farther and farther back to writings that follow totally different ideals. Even back to linear script A, which we can't translate. Religions follow books, but how can you blindly accept (I mean without question) something that you can't prove is the true story at all.

As for your text book example, it's not the same. Math is solid, concrete and can always be proven.You're right when you say that the limitation is that of the student for not learning. But, no bible is concrete like a math book. There is no section for writing proofs on biblical questions. Here is your bible's limitation. How can you get answers from something that isn't necessarily correct? You wouldn't base an important research paper on hearsay, would you? I hope not. Or better yet, follow a street map that you found on the ground drawn in pencil. Chances are, you'd get lost.

In believe in God as much as the next man and I do have a religion. But I don't need a book to validate me. I think that too many people do. Are you one of them?

One word [B]FAITH[/B], youcan't have any religion without faith. Besides, my religion, what you feel when you listen to the teachings in class, you can't explain. You get a feeling of firm conviction in that it is true, and no-one can take it away but yourself.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by liamc2 [/i]
[B]One word [B]FAITH[/B], youcan't have any religion without faith. Besides, my religion, what you feel when you listen to the teachings in class, you can't explain. You get a feeling of firm conviction in that it is true, and no-one can take it away but yourself. [/B][/QUOTE]

You're right; you can't have any religion without faith. But, isn't it possible to have faith without religion? Like I said before, you shouldn't need a book to validate you. That is a sign of individual weakness.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]

It's spelled Bologna.

Anyway, God - yes, religion - no [/B][/QUOTE]

You would be smart in not believing in religion, because Christianity is not SUPPOSED to be a religion, it is a Relationship between God, and yourself. We just need something to call ourselves, and since, we are in a relationship with christ, then Christian came out of it. But dont anybody forget, that even demons believe in God, and scorn him. so if ppl on this thread are tryiing to say that they Believe they are saved, they should say that, otherwise, saying you believe in God is a moot point. I believe in God, and I also believe that his son died for me, I just dont care right about now. and religion is BS, it is supposed to be a Relationship, he didn't i just say that???...........:nervous: :smirk:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vegitto4 [/i]
[B]

You would be smart in not believing in religion, because Christianity is not SUPPOSED to be a religion, it is a Relationship between God, and yourself. We just need something to call ourselves, and since, we are in a relationship with christ, then Christian came out of it. But dont anybody forget, that even demons believe in God, and scorn him. so if ppl on this thread are tryiing to say that they Believe they are saved, they should say that, otherwise, saying you believe in God is a moot point. I believe in God, and I also believe that his son died for me, I just dont care right about now. and religion is BS, it is supposed to be a Relationship, he didn't i just say that???...........:nervous: :smirk: [/B][/QUOTE]

you're wasting your breath, responding to transtic by saying that. gays and bis are not going to ascribe to a faith where the holy book says we are an abomination. i speak from personal experience.

p.s. you sure have been witnessing a lot lately. :)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vegitto4 [/i]
[B]

You would be smart in not believing in religion, because Christianity is not SUPPOSED to be a religion, it is a Relationship between God, and yourself. We just need something to call ourselves, and since, we are in a relationship with christ, then Christian came out of it. But dont anybody forget, that even demons believe in God, and scorn him. so if ppl on this thread are tryiing to say that they Believe they are saved, they should say that, otherwise, saying you believe in God is a moot point. I believe in God, and I also believe that his son died for me, I just dont care right about now. and religion is BS, it is supposed to be a Relationship, he didn't i just say that???...........:nervous: :smirk: [/B][/QUOTE]

Here's why it's a religion....

[b]Religion - re·li·gion (r-ljn)
n. [/b]

[b]1)
a)[/b] Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
[b] b)[/b] A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
[b]2) [/b]e life or condition of a person in a religious order.
[b]3) [/b]A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
[b]4) [/b]A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

The fact that you have a sacred text, refering to the bible or any variation of it, confers that Christianity IS a religion. A religion is essentially a cult.. now before you get all pissy pants about the word cult... I'm not refering to evil cults. You all need to get dictionaries.... a cult is a group of people who all follow or believe in the same things... a religion is essentially the same thing but it has set morals, a diety or dieties, more so than not a sacred text, and they don't have to pay taxes lol

Whether it's supposed to be a "relationship" with God or not, it's still a religion. Christianity has all those in the deffinition of "religion" and is widely considered a religion... It can still be a "relationship" with God, but it's also a religion....

Yes, I believe in GOD, no, I don't go to Church. I have one other thing on my mind, if no one has ever met GOD, then how come they claim that latin is GOD's language? I've been wondering that for a long time now. And everytime ppl say they've seen/talked to a angel, they always speak that person's language, so how can we be so sure that latin is really GOD's language?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Darkness [/i]
[B]

You're right; you can't have any religion without faith. But, isn't it possible to have faith without religion? Like I said before, you shouldn't need a book to validate you. That is a sign of individual weakness. [/B][/QUOTE]

faith can exist outside religion yes, but faith is derived from religion

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Akito [/i]
[B]Yes, I believe in GOD, no, I don't go to Church. I have one other thing on my mind, if no one has ever met GOD, then how come they claim that latin is GOD's language? I've been wondering that for a long time now. And everytime ppl say they've seen/talked to a angel, they always speak that person's language, so how can we be so sure that latin is really GOD's language? [/B][/QUOTE]

That is refering to the fact that Latin was the language the original Bible was written in. At the time, there was no other language but latin in Europe. And Christianity started in Europe and essentially thats why.