OtakuBoards

The prettiest song you've ever heard?

2010DigitalBoy

WHat is that song that's so pretty you just wanna grab your bf/gf and dance with them? That one that you have to sing when you hear it and may even play it at your wedding? The prettiest song I thing I''ve ever heard would be Lonely Day by System of a Down.

Lonely Day

Such a lonely day
And its mine
The most loneliest day
Of my life
Such a lonely day
Should be banned
It's a day that I
Can't stand

The most loneliest day of my life

Such a lonely day
Shouldn't exist
It's a day that I'll
Never miss
Such a lonely day
And it's mine
The most lonelyiest day
Of my life

And if you go
I wanna go with you
And if you die
I wanna die with you
Take you hand and walk away...

(awesome guitar)

THE MOST LONELIEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!

Such a lonely day
And it's mine
It's a day that I'm glad
I survived

Ahh.... I love that song! Also, pretty and beautiful are two different things. I don't want your most beautiful song, just pretty.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Retribution][size=1']I think Beethoven's Ninth Symphony is beautiful.[/size][/quote]
[size=1]I didn't think there were many people the boards that liked classical. My hat is off to you. And if you like Beethoven, you should listen to Pachelbel's Cannon In D Major. Amazing song.

Candy Kisses by Dean Martin is probably one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in a long time.[/size]

[COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1]There are quite a few songs I'd call beautiful, ranging from the J-Pop beats of Orange Range's "Hana," to the more classical "Le Chante Pour Passer Le Temps," a gorgeous piano piece by Giovanni Mirabassi. Yoko Kanno's amazing voice truly shines on the amazing blusey tune of "Gotta Knock a Little Harder," and you can't help but feel something with Rufus Wainwright's "Hallelujah." There's also Meat Loaf's amazing "For Crying Out Loud," Theory of a Deadman's "the Last Song," Gary Jules's cover of "Mad World," and just about anything by Hiromitsu Agatsuma, most of all "Solitude" and "Blown Away." I can't choose just one, as you can see, but I just thought I'd share.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I'd say beautiful and pretty are the same in terms of songs. It's probably only different when you're talking about someone. Hah. I mean, I'd love to hear my favorite song [b]Overcome[/b] at a school dance and I think it's the most [i]beautiful[/i] song I've ever heard. Yeah, I definitely don't see a difference between pretty and beautiful.

[center][b]"Overcome"[/b] - [i]Live[/i]

Even now
The world is bleeding
But feeling just fine
All numb in a castle
Where we?re always free to choose
Never free enough to find
I wish something would break
Cuz we?re running out of time.

And I am overcome, yeah
I am overcome
Holy water in my lungs
I am overcome.

These women in the street
Pulling out their hair
My master?s in the yard
Giving light to the unaware
This plastic little place
Is just a step amongst the stairs.

And I am overcome, yeah
I am overcome, baby
Holy water in my lungs, yeah
I am overcome.

So drive me out, yeah
Out to that open field
Turn the ignition off
And spin around
Your help is here
But I?m parked in the open space
But locking the gates of love.

I am overcome
I am overcome, baby
Holy water in my lungs, yeah
I am overcome, yeah
I am overcome, oh lord
I am overcome, baby
Holy water in my lungs
Holy water, holy water
I am overcome.

Beautiful drowning
This beautiful drowning
This holy water
This holy water, is in my lungs.

And I am overcome
I am overcome, yeah
Heh, I, heh, I, heh, I am overcome
I am overcome lord.[/center]

I would have to say Jeff Buckley's album Grace. Every song on that , i find is just beautiful. Also I dont mind Right where it belongs by Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznors vocals and music just convey so much emotion in that song.

Edit: Ohh sorry I wrote about beautiful songs , not pretty songs. My mistake!

The most pretty songs that my girlfriend and I dance to are:

Faith No More - Easy Like Sunday Morning. Its an awesome cover and just sounds so good.

The Righteous Brothers - You've lost that loving feelin' . This song means so much to me my girlfrirend and i danced to it alone on the dancefloor at our school formal. Its just an awesome song.

[quote name='Dragon Warrior'] Yeah, I definitely don't see a difference between pretty and beautiful.[/center][/quote]

OK, let me clarify. Example:

My choice for the most beautiful song ever is soldier side (see lyrics below). That song is mooving, it's amazing, but it's also depressing. It's not pretty, it doesn't make you dance, and it makes my grandma cry, but it is BEAUTIFUL. Not pretty like lonely day.

Soldier Side

[Instrumental]

Dead men lying
On the bottom of a grave
Wondering when savior comes
Are they gunna be saved?

Maybe you're a sinner
Until your alternate life
Maybe your a joker
Maybe you deserve to die

They were crying when their sons left
God is wearing black
Hes come so far to find the hope
Hes never coming back
All young men must go
Hes come so far to fand the truth
Hes never coming home

Young men standing
On the top of their own graves
Wondering when Jesus comes
Are they gunna be saved?

Cruelty to the winner
Bishop tells the king his lies
Maybe your a mourner
Maybe you deserve to die

God is wearing black
Hes come so far to find no hope
Hes never coming back
All young men must go
Hes come so far to fand no truth
Hes never coming home

[instrumental]

Welcome
To the soldier side
Where there's no one here but me
People
All grow up to die
There is no one here but me

Welcome
To the soldier side
Where there's no one here but me
People
On the soldier side
There is no one here but me

[Instrumental]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior']I'd say beautiful and pretty are the same in terms of songs. It's probably only different when you're talking about someone. Hah. I mean, I'd love to hear my favorite song Overcome at a school dance and I think it's the most beautiful song I've ever heard. Yeah, I definitely don't see a difference between pretty and beautiful.[/quote]

DW, what you said made me jump for joy! Wow! I'm not the only one who has heard this song!

Anyway, jumping aside...

I really like 'My Immortal', by Evanescence. It's mellow, quiet, a bit melancholy. It's certainly good when you're in a quiet, depressed mood.

My Immortal

I'm so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave
'Cause your presence still lingers here
And it won't leave me alone

These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me

You used to captivate me
By your resonating life
Now I'm bound by the life you've left behind
Your face it haunts
My once pleasant dreams
Your voice it chased away
All the sanity in me

I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
But though you're still with me
I've been alone all along

One pretty song that I would like to hear at a dance or some sort would be Our farewell by Within Temptation.
Our Farewell

In my hands
A legacy of memories
I can hear you say my name
I can almost see your smile
Feel the warmth of your embrace
But there is nothing but silence now
Around the one I loved
Is this our farewell?

Sweet darling you worry too much, my child
See the sadness in your eyes
You are not alone in life
Although you might think that you are

Never thought
This day would come so soon
We had no time to say goodbye
How can the world just carry on?
I feel so lost when you are not by my side
But there's nothing but silence now
Around the one I loved
Is this our farewell?

So sorry your world is tumbling down
I will watch you through these nights
Rest your head and go to sleep
Because my child, this not our farewell.
This is not our farewell.

A song that's pretty beautiful that needs no words is Do Make Say Think's [b]Goodbye Enemy Airship[/b]. No, it doesn't make you want to grab someone and start dancing, but it just feels right. Like something you listen to when you're sitting there that reminds of how great life is.

[quote name='Stark']DW, what you said made me jump for joy! Wow! I'm not the only one who has heard this song! [/quote]

Likewise, Stark. Live is a band that tends to stay on the downlow, so they don't want that much popularity, but despite that fact, many of their songs play on the radio still, including "Overcome." Not many people at my school know the song either or the band, for that matter, so I'm the one who gets them into both ;)

There are so many pretty songs I like, but most people don't know very many of the different band's songs. I would have to say certain songs by Modest Mouse are definitely worthy of the title pretty [e.g. The World At Large, Float On, Ocean Breathes Salty, Interlude (Milo), One Chance, and The Good Times Are Killing Me]. Anything by Badly Drawn Boy is just so pretty, it's so hard to turn it off. And finally, the band I think deserves the most praise right now with their new album, is Okkervil River. If you don't know this band, or own the album Black Sheep Boy, get it now! The music is hauntingly pretty, the lyrics are amazingly sad and filled with emotion, it's almost hard not to cry. Almost makes you wonder if the songs are based off of life experiences. And don't be surprised if you can, at the very least, partially feel like some of the songs are about your life. Right now, my favorite, if I had to choose just one, would be In A Radio Song. Here are the lyrics.

[b]In A Radio Song:[/b]

Black sheep boy, blue-eyed charmer, head hanging with horns from your father--oh, in a cold little mirror you were grown, by a black little wind you were blown, alone, alone, alone.

Sad smile on your lips, you shake and shiver. Some animal sips where the river flows from a black little crack in a stone. To a crackle in a radio song, sing along, sing along, sing along.

Warm light when your eyes fill with laughter. Some animal lies in the pasture, holes in its throat where the blood was drawn, in its mouth where the tongue was torn by your claws.

I rose from a dream; we were running from every being that was hunting, but we let them get ahead of us. We let them lie in wait for us. We're f***ed, We're f***ed, We're ********ed.

I rose from a dream; I had just destroyed everything with one crushing blow, and I woke up and watched it go, and I woke up and wagged my tongue. [i]So long, so long, so long.[/i]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I have lots of pretty songs...

Duvet by Boa, which was the theme song for SEL is a very pretty song.
Fix You is also on my list. Great song.
Swiss Army Romance, Living In Your Letter, and I Am Missing, all by Dashboard Confessional are pretty, though alot of Dashboard's music is pretty.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior']Likewise, Stark. Live is a band that tends to stay on the downlow, so they don't want that much popularity, but despite that fact, many of their songs play on the radio still, including "Overcome." Not many people at my school know the song either or the band, for that matter, so I'm the one who gets them into both ;)[/quote]

That's great to hear. I remember hearing that song when I was in Middle School because they were playing it on the radio, and none of my friends knew what I was talking about. That was when I was living in Pennsylvania, though no one here in Florida seems to have heard of them either.

Just a question, curiosity really, but have they made any more CDs?

[QUOTE=Stark]That's great to hear. I remember hearing that song when I was in Middle School because they were playing it on the radio, and none of my friends knew what I was talking about. That was when I was living in Pennsylvania, though no one here in Florida seems to have heard of them either.

Just a question, curiosity really, but have they made any more CDs?[/QUOTE]

[b]Overcome's[/b] amazing popularity struck shortly after 9/11, which was what the song is about. The music video for it is quite touching, but the song itself is just incredible. It was requested on the radio more than any song during that time.

Live currently has seven albums out if you include the Best of Live.
[list]
[*]Mental Jewelry
[*]Throwing Copper
[*]Secret Samadhi
[*]The Distance To Here
[*]V
[*]Birds of Pray
[*]Awake, The Best of Live
[/list]
They are currently working on their new album called [b]Songs From Black Mountain[/b]. It keeps getting post-poned sadly. It was supposed to be out November 2005, then March 21st, and now the official date of its release is April 11th. I await eagerly! You can listen to a sample of their single "The River," which will start playing on the radio on January 31st. [URL=http://www.listentolive.com]CLICK HERE[/URL] to hear it.

[COLOR=SeaGreen]Bruce Cockburn's [B][I]Waiting for a Miracle[/I][/B] has always struck me as a beautiful song.
[CENTER]
[B][I]Look at them working in the hot sun
the pilloried saints and the fallen ones
working and waiting for the night to come
and waiting for a miracle

Somewhere out there is a place that's cool
where peace and balance are the rule
working toward a future like some kind of mystic jewel
and waiting for a miracle

You rub your palm
on the grimy pane
in the hope that you can see
You stand up proud
you pretend you're strong
in the hope that you can be
like the ones who've cried
like the ones who've died
trying to set the angel in us free
while they're waiting for a miracle

Struggle for a dollar, scuffle for a dime
step out from the past and try to hold the line
so how come history takes such a long, long time
When you're waiting for a miracle[/I][/B][/CENTER]

Another of Bruce's classic,[B] [I]Call it Democracy[/I][/B]:

[CENTER]
[B][I]padded with power here they come
international loan sharks backed by the guns
of market hungry military profiteers
whose word is a swamp and whose brow is smeared
with the blood of the poor

who rob life of its quality
who render rage a necessity
by turning countries into labour camps
modern slavers in drag as champions of freedom

sinister cynical instrument
who makes the gun into a sacrament --
the only response to the deification
of tyranny by so-called "developed" nations'
idolatry of ideology

north south east west
kill the best and buy the rest
it's just spend a buck to make a buck
you don't really give a flying ****
about the people in misery

IMF dirty MF
takes away everything it can get
always making certain that there's one thing left
keep them on the hook with insupportable debt

see the paid-off local bottom feeders
passing themselves off as leaders
kiss the ladies shake hands with the fellows
open for business like a cheap bordello

and they call it democracy

see the loaded eyes of the children too
trying to make the best of it the way kids do
one day you're going to rise from your habitual feast
to find yourself staring down the throat of the beast
they call the revolution

IMF dirty MF
takes away everything it can get
always making certain that there's one thing left
keep them on the hook with insupportable debt[/I][/B][/CENTER]

'Da Newf

Oowatanite[/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]I suppose you can classify things such as this: a square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square. The reason being is that a square shares the all angles are ninety degrees rule with a rectangle. They also share the rule that they have two pairs of parallel sides. However, a square must have all sides the same length, while a rectangle must have two sides congruent and then two sides separately congruent. Also, a square's diagonals create right angles, while a rectangle's diagonals do not.

The reason for this dumb geometry lesson is that a beautiful song is also a pretty song, since before it was beautiful it was pretty. It's like a number scale, You can ask for a 5 song and not a 10 song, but a 10 song will also be eligible for the suggestions because 10 wouldn't be without 5.

Point being, beautiful songs ARE pretty. You can ask for a pretty song and receive both beautiful and pretty melodies, but you can't ask for a beautiful song and end up with a pretty one, because defying geometry makes you repeat ninth grade! Oh no no!

Aside from all that crap, I listen to tons of beautiful/pretty songs. It makes me kind of angry, too, because I really need to practice guitar a lot and most of the songs I listen to don't completely utilize a guitar.

My first thought would be [b]Trans-Siberian Orchestra[/b] - "Christmas Canon Rock." The lyrics themselves don't much attribute to the beauty of this song, but moreso the instrumentation and the amazing singer who performed it. I think the first time I listened to it was New Year's Eve: I was sitting next to a fire (t'was moderately cool outside) with plenty of younger children running around like crazy with multicolored sparklers. It seemed as though time slowed down while listening to this song, which was really nice. I didn't want 2005 to end.

And now for a song with beautiful everything: [b]Placebo[/b] - "Sleeping With Ghosts"

The sea's evaporating
Though it comes as no surprise
These clouds we're seeing
They're explosions in the sky
It seems it's written
But we can't read between the lines
Hush
It's okay
Dry your eyes
Dry your eyes
Soulmate dry your eyes
Dry your eyes
Soulmate dry your eyes
Cause soulmates never die
This one world vision
Turns us into compromise
What good's religion
When it's each other we despise
Damn the government
Damn their killing
Damn their lies
Hush
It's okay
Dry your eyes
Dry your eyes
Soulmate dry your eyes
Dry your eyes
Soulmate dry your eyes
Cause soulmates never die
Soulmates never die
Never die
Soulmates never die
Never die...
Soulmates never die
Soulmates never die
Soulmates never die
Soulmates never die

Also, plenty of songs by Nightwish are very beautiful; such as [b]Deep Silent Complete, Away, Beauty of the Beast, Beauty and the Beast, Oceansoul,[/b] and their version of [b]Walking in the Air[/b].

To top it all off, here's [b]Rasputina[/b] - "Herb Girls of Birkenau."

Experiment victims walk by on a hill
With berries in aprons, I still see them. Still
See black empty eyes staring, no hair, yet ahead
There's no dignity there. They're not living not dead.
Swayback and Ripcord and parachute face
Were pulled from the water and put in a place
I've no been to, but what you'll find
Is the kommandant hoarding the vegetable rinds.
It's not like they mattered.
Who sucked out your spirit?
Listen how we shout at them.
They can't hear it.
It's not fair
And it seems impossible
That it happened at all.
That there were people who saw
The Herb Girls of Birkenau.
The Herb Girls of Birkenau walk by on a hill.
With berries in aprons, I still see them still.
It's not fair
And it seems impossible
That it happened at all.
That there were people who saw the herb girls.
But what's fair?
Anything is possible.
But can you understand that there were people who saw the herb girls?
It's not fair.
And it seems impossible
That there were people there.
There were people who saw the Herb Girls of Birkenau.

AND AND! There are plenty of songs that I've sung in my choirs that have been absolutely more than beautiful; a song about a deaf person called "Can You Hear Me," and a really old song with a cello and a piano and amazing harmony called "There is No Rose." I've also sung Carol of the Bells, which is beautiful no matter who performs it (even my chorus).

After that, there are some songs that I tear up on only if I start to sing along, like [b]Five Iron Frenzy[/b] - "World Without End."

For all the deepest thought compiled,philosophy
to laws of physics,
no one's ever heard or seen,
a more beautiful thing,
than this love that saved us.
In the soundless awe and wonder,
words fall short to hope again.
How beautiful,
how vast your love is,
new forever,
world without an end.
The very spark that burns the stars,
drew near to me today,
the God of everything that is,
whispered in my ear that His love is boundless.

Phew! Okay, sorry for the overloading of stuff, and even moreso for the geometry garbage I began with. It was just the best analogy I could think of. =)[/FONT]

[COLOR=#7B075B]^ Whoa. You win 10 Internets for your reference to quadrilaterals.

[b]PEARLS[/b] by Ilaria Graziano has got to be the prettiest song I've heard in the past six months. The piano intro hooked me up at the first few notes and Ms. Graziano's voice is divine. The songs pretty haunting for something from [i]Cowboy Bebop[/i] but [i]the[/i] Yoko Kanno someow managed to make it fit right in the series. V.good.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Dragon Warrior][b]Overcome's[/b] amazing popularity struck shortly after 9/11, which was what the song is about. The music video for it is quite touching, but the song itself is just incredible. It was requested on the radio more than any song during that time.

Live currently has seven albums out if you include the Best of Live.
[list]
[*]Mental Jewelry
[*]Throwing Copper
[*]Secret Samadhi
[*]The Distance To Here
[*]V
[*]Birds of Pray
[*]Awake, The Best of Live
[/list]
They are currently working on their new album called [b]Songs From Black Mountain[/b]. It keeps getting post-poned sadly. It was supposed to be out November 2005, then March 21st, and now the official date of its release is April 11th. I await eagerly! You can listen to a sample of their single "The River," which will start playing on the radio on January 31st. [URL=http://www.listentolive.com]CLICK HERE[/URL] to hear it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much, DW! I'll be sure to check into that, if I can find their CD at all around here. I'll look, though, and I'lll look hard.

Again, thanks!