OtakuBoards

Emo or Emu's??

Shwa

Ok, lately since the end of the summer and starting at the beginning of the year I've notices some of my firends and peers have been dressing differently and acting all depressed and whine a lot over the stupidest things. Apparently this "fad" of being Emo is going around everywhere and its getting annoying. Apparently Emo stands for "Emotional" or something like that and all they listen to is bands that sing about "Not getting a girlfriend, cutting themselves, or locking themselves in their rooms and crying". WTF??? They dress in mostly black but say their not gothic, they wear girl pants but say their not gay.....which is hard to believe, and they wear pink and make-up. Can someone explain to me what in the world is happening??

This is just like when 2 years ago in Maryland (where I live) there was a fad for being "Bisexual" or something (I'm gay so I thought it was really stupid). Now this thing is going on, are teens really interested in expressing themselves so much that they have to go too these extremes to do so?? A penny for your thought..

Oh and by the title, I call my firneds Emu's (a type of flightless bird) instead of Emo, just to make them mad :catgirl:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='WindFox17']Well my ex-g/f was an emo and god it KILLED me. I mean I would always try to cheer her up then she would cut herself. And all of the pitty party **** just droze me nuts. I mean how can someone be sad all the time?[/quote]

They just don,t give a flying **** what others think of them. It's more of the attitude of: THE WORLD IS AGAINST ME!

In my opinion everyone is depressed at times. We are all allowed to be sad, depressed, even sometimes to the extent of thinking of hurting ourselves but these people make it like a religion who follow the way of the 'emu' should wake up and shut the **** up about how you think your life is worse then anyone else. I mean seriously. There are people out there in the world that have it ten times as worse then you ever could and they are still trying to make a life out of it.

Just my 2 cents on this subject

[quote name='Mage17']Oh and by the title, I call my firneds Emu's (a type of flightless bird) instead of Emo, just to make them mad :catgirl:[/quote]

[color=crimson]Nice. I can tell you are a sharp individual.

I don't have a problem with emo people or their numerous variants. It could be worse, really. They could all be super bright and cheery and singing:

[i]I'm so happy!
AHA! Happy go lucky me!
I just go my way,
living everyday!

I don't worry!
Worrying don't agree,
Things that bother you,
never bother me~~

Things that bother you,
never bother me!
I feel happy and fine!
AHA!
Living in the sunlight,
loving in the moonlight
Having a wonderful time![/i]

So, yeah. Count your blessings.[/color]

[FONT=Arial][quote name='Mage17']Apparently this "fad" of being Emo is going around everywhere and its getting annoying.[/quote]

That's been around for a while. Maybe it's just you finding it.

[quote name='Mage17']Apparently Emo stands for "Emotional" or something like that and all they listen to is bands that sing about "Not getting a girlfriend, cutting themselves, or locking themselves in their rooms and crying".[/quote]

Correct, it supposedly stands for emotional. When I think of emotional, I think of depression. Maybe it's just me?

[quote name='Mage17']They dress in mostly black but say their not gothic[/quote]

Black is inequal to Gothic. DUH. Black is more equal to mallcore, which is basically half emo, and half...something that doesn't even exist. But they're the people who probably live in Hot Topic and wear all the clothes, and call themselves Gothic, even though they don't know the true meaning of it. They also hate the world.

[quote name='Mage17'] they wear girl pants but say their not gay[/quote]

Maybe they just prefer girl pants to boy pants? What's wrong with that? It's just pants.

[quote name='Mage17']and they wear pink and make-up.[/quote]

Haven't you heard? Pink is the color of a true man. =) besides, lots of people wear makeup. It's just a very fashionable thing to do.

Just so everyone knows, I'm a true emokid! I may not dress the part, and I may not listen to many TRUELY emo bands (such as NOT Fall Out Boy, NOT My Chemical Romance, NOT The Used, etc.), but seriously. The only extremes of any emotions that I feel are anger and sorrow. Sometimes I'll cry for no reason.

People who claim every emo person cuts themselves and cry too much are probably just trying to make it something that it's not. Besides, there's a big difference between emo and scene, and it sounds to me like you described a scenester.

In the end, people can label themselves what ever they want to be labeled. It's what makes them who they are. Just accept people. [/FONT]

hey guess what, emo is a type of music, not a way to dress, or a lable for someone. And half of these kids saying they're emo, arn't. They listen to really bad music, and are confused about who they are. Emo music, is actually, very good, go listen to Sunny Day Real Estate or Rites of Spring, or the Promise Ring. These kids these days, saying hawthorn heights or whatever they are and fall out boy are emo, what are they thinking?

Well, some people are just ignorant.

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]I hate emos with every fibre of my body... although I love jokes about them (I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself). What do they do? They sit and whine and complain and piss everybody off, they threaten to cut themselves but they never follow through (And you believe me I wish they would some times), they're making themselves into freaks on purpose just for attention, I hate them so much it's incredible. Their music is **** (Who the **** cares how many times you cut yourself!), their lifestyle is ****, their a waste of skin. There are some people who genuinly have a right to be depressed, but they don't dress all in black and whine and complain and cut themselves, they suck it up and continue making Nike shoes or whatever it is they do.

I even go so far as to no longer consider emos people; they're figmants of their own imagination.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[CENTER]I don't personally have anything against them. But my views are as follows:
"Emo's" I have found, are usually just doing it to get attention. And it works. But in the process of making such a big deal out of small problems in their own lives, they are being neglegent about real problems others have that are actually important.

I don't see why anyone would want to live depressed anyways. Being happy is so much more enjoyable! We all have our hardships, but those people would take action and stop trying to be the center of attention, things would be so much better for them.
To all emo's: [COLOR=Red]Stop being so self centered and learn to enjoy life for what it is, not what it isn't![/COLOR]
There are better ways. Sure, they may require a little bit of effort, but it's worth it :D[/CENTER]

Lastly, I hate the term 'emo'. If it really does stand for 'emotional', doesn't that mean that anyone that feels emotions at all is emo?
But yeah, I guess those people just mean depressed. But whatever XP

It amuses me how everyone in this thread (save for Corrina) knows absolutely NOTHING about emo.

First off, it doesn't stand for emotional, it stands for emotive hardcore.

Emo is an off-shoot of punk that pretty much died out quite a while ago. It wasn't Dashboard Confessional or whatever everyone thinks it is.

Emo isn't about girlfriends or cutting yourself.
It's not a fashion style.
It's a style of music.

Besides that, how does wearing girl pants make someone gay? I wear girl pants, I'm not "emo", I'm not "gay", and I must say, they're a LOT more comfortable than any guy pants I've worn. They stretch (which is one of the best parts), and in my opinion they look much better than guy pants.

Yeah, so... emo doesn't exist anymore, to be blunt.

[COLOR=#790A43]^ Yes, but [i]that[/i] emo spawned the variety the first few posts were talking about. After all, wasn't the emotive hardcore dynasty defined by the lachrymose songs of its proponents and faithful, faithful subjects?

[SIZE=1]Hmm, no? Alrighty then. To avoid confusion, I shall use the term "neo-emo" hereinafter.[/SIZE]

I've no problem with neo-emos in girly pants or black, crumpled shirts. I really don't. Problem is [i]some[/i] of them can't stop wallowing in self-indulgent pity (probably them "scenesters" Amelia was talking about). Exasperating people to talk with; I usually tune out (or in extreme cases, bolt) when I sense someone's gonna go neo-emo on me.

[i]Ma[/i], neo-emos around me have yet to do anything criminal. It won't hurt me if I lent an ear 'til they get through this, um, phase.[/COLOR]

[size=1]You people need to be passionate about things that matter.
Not stupid-*** highschool clique drama.
If you want to be emo, or emotive hardcore for those that prefer that way, do it. Who cares if people don't think you're 'real'. It doesn't matter.
You matter.[/size]

Hm.. I like this neo-emo term. People have the habit of labeling everything... Without labels, people would be lost. I know I'd be mad is someone mislabeled the peanut butter and I ate it. Anywho, Emo was the term 'cause someone didn't know what they were talking about. (Pst. that happens a lot.) Sooo, now that we've been enlightened, we shall call them neo-emo! And thus another label is born. It matters not. We could just say "faggy looking whiney wanna-be punkers without the balls" but that's too much of a mouthful for everyday use.

I, personally, get massive amounts of pleasure from these "neo-emo" chaps. If one of them actually kills themselves off, the world would be a better place. It amuses me to have long drawn out conversations with them, usually ending in: "That's horrible. Here?s a gun."

They give people who dress accordingly bad names. I know people with neo-emoesque hair styles and listen to that crappy music, who are decent enough by my standards (which are high, usually) that get crap for it all the time. As long as they don't force me to listen to their music. So I suppose that the moral of the story is: Talk to them first. Once they start to whine, direct them to the nearest flow of traffic.

Teenagers are influenced by peers, television and trends. I'm a teenager myself, luckily I do know who I am and therefore I'm not influenced by trends of society. Unfortunetly, most people do not have a clear definition of who they are in their adolescence, so if they see something in this case the fact of being "emotional" so to speak, they are quickly to adapt without themselves being of that stereotype. Is too bad that people really have to go along with trends and not embrace their uniqueness, everyone was created different, so why follow everyone when they have their own personalities to discover.

Haven't you heard? Pink is the color of a true man. =) besides, lots of people wear makeup. It's just a very fashionable thing to do.

Just so everyone knows, I'm a true emokid! I may not dress the part, and I may not listen to many TRUELY emo bands (such as NOT Fall Out Boy, NOT My Chemical Romance, NOT The Used, etc.), but seriously. The only extremes of any emotions that I feel are anger and sorrow. Sometimes I'll cry for no reason.

People who claim every emo person cuts themselves and cry too much are probably just trying to make it something that it's not. Besides, there's a big difference between emo and scene, and it sounds to me like you described a scenester.

In the end, people can label themselves what ever they want to be labeled. It's what makes them who they are. Just accept people.

I really dont believe that pink is the true color of man when years ago they were judged on their sexuality just for wearing a smidge of the color. I dont believe that labling makes people who they are, especially when they just follow others to fit into a groups of people and be accepted. I've learned to be tollerant and accepting of anyone, but this is just out of control. Boys acting all depressed over nothing, cutting themselves, crying for no reason....is this really a turn on to girls??? Also, I have noticed this (its not new to me), but in MD in the summer time it was only a couple of people but whe school started the EVERYONE was Emo.

[QUOTE]It amuses me how everyone in this thread (save for Corrina) knows absolutely NOTHING about emo.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure??? In your post you describes most of the functions. And why the hell are you wearing girl pants?? Weggies to the max, just get some really small sized boys pants and call it a day, no offense but no every straight or gay guy wants to see a bony *** and crotch to match.

[quote name='Mage17']And why the hell are you wearing girl pants?? Weggies to the max, just get some really small sized boys pants and call it a day, no offense but no every straight or gay guy wants to see a bony *** and crotch to match.[/quote]

Actually, despite popular opinion, girl pants do not induce wedgies or (usually, at least not with the pants I wear) ride up high in the crotch area.

Don't ask me why I wear them if I already explained why. :/

Besides, the beginning of your reply to my post doesn't even make sense.

[quote name='Mage17']Are you sure??? In your post you describes most of the functions.[/quote]

What exactly is that supposed to mean? The way I described emo is basically that it's pretty much the opposite of how you described it.

And to this post...

[QUOTE]Yes, but that emo spawned the variety the first few posts were talking about.[/QUOTE]

How exactly would the original emo spawn these "neo-emo" kids, anyway? (oh, and I like that term, neo-emo. It works, quite well actually.) Considering the fact you could go up to any one of these "neo-emo" kids and ask them who Rites of Spring or Sunny Day Real Estate is, and they'd have no clue.

[QUOTE=MirrIll]Actually, despite popular opinion, girl pants do not induce wedgies or (usually, at least not with the pants I wear) ride up high in the crotch area.

Don't ask me why I wear them if I already explained why. :/

Besides, the beginning of your reply to my post doesn't even make sense.

What exactly is that supposed to mean? The way I described emo is basically that it's pretty much the opposite of how you described it.

And to this post...

How exactly would the original emo spawn these "neo-emo" kids, anyway? (oh, and I like that term, neo-emo. It works, quite well actually.) Considering the fact you could go up to any one of these "neo-emo" kids and ask them who Rites of Spring or Sunny Day Real Estate is, and they'd have no clue.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, the neo-emu really dont care about ppl. the "original" emu's know about or like. Like I said, its like a "fad" to them and their in for the ride.

[QUOTE=DeathKnight][color=crimson]Nice. I can tell you are a sharp individual.

I don't have a problem with emo people or their numerous variants. It could be worse, really. They could all be super bright and cheery and singing:

[i]I'm so happy!
AHA! Happy go lucky me!
I just go my way,
living everyday!

I don't worry!
Worrying don't agree,
Things that bother you,
never bother me~~

Things that bother you,
never bother me!
I feel happy and fine!
AHA!
Living in the sunlight,
loving in the moonlight
Having a wonderful time![/i]

So, yeah. Count your blessings.[/color][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Oh, I don't know. I think that could be [url=http://gmanisnotpleased.ytmnd.com/][u]pretty awesome[/u][/url].[/color]

[QUOTE=MirrIll]It amuses me how everyone in this thread (save for Corrina) knows absolutely NOTHING about emo.

First off, it doesn't stand for emotional, it stands for emotive hardcore.

Emo is an off-shoot of punk that pretty much died out quite a while ago. It wasn't Dashboard Confessional or whatever everyone thinks it is.

Emo isn't about girlfriends or cutting yourself.
It's not a fashion style.
It's a style of music.

Yeah, so... emo doesn't exist anymore, to be blunt.[/QUOTE][color=33333][font=trebuchet ms]The fact that what you consider to be "real emo" no longer exists does not change the fact that there is currently a large teenage subculture called emo.

It revolves around music. It revolves around fashion. It revolves around depression, angst, mySpace, make-up, girly pants, and black hair cut at funny angles.

The fact that "emo" originally stood for "emotive hardcore" means nothing to the kids who call themselves "emo" because it [i]also[/i] stands for "emotional." It shouldn't have to mean anything to them.

The two things may have been the same thing once. They may not have been. It doesn't matter, really. But this subculture has adopted the term emo, and whatever else the word once stood for, now it also stands for this.[/color][/font]

[QUOTE=Lore][color=33333][font=trebuchet ms]The fact that what you consider to be "real emo" no longer exists does not change the fact that there is currently a large teenage subculture called emo.

It revolves around music. It revolves around fashion. It revolves around depression, angst, mySpace, make-up, girly pants, and black hair cut at funny angles.

The fact that "emo" originally stood for "emotive hardcore" means nothing to the kids who call themselves "emo" because it [i]also[/i] stands for "emotional." It shouldn't have to mean anything to them.

The two things may have been the same thing once. They may not have been. It doesn't matter, really. But this subculture has adopted the term emo, and whatever else the word once stood for, now it also stands for this.[/color][/font][/QUOTE]

It's not what I consider to be real emo, it's simply what emo is. The main difference between emo and what is considered emo now is the fact that, well, they sound NOTHING ALIKE.

To set things straight, I don't even like real emo. I can't get into it. I'm actually a fan of a lot of bands considered "emo" nowadays. The only reason this topic fires me up so much is the fact that these people, these kids, these "music" stations are taking something that was once respectable and basically bastardizing it.

Emo has become the signature term for "whiny kids who cut themselves, can't keep their girlfriends, and cry too much". Now every kid in girls jeans, every kid with black hair, every boy in eyeliner, every girl wearing tacky jewelry, is automatically labeled emo.

Scene and emo do not equal the same thing, yet somehow they've become one.
Scene is a pretty crappy word as well, and I'd say it's hardly a term to be proud of, but when it comes down to labels, that's what the whole girl pants, band t-shirt cliche fits under.

And it SHOULD mean something to them that it means emotive hardcore. "Emotional" could fit in almost any genre of music, so that doesn't even make sense. People should know what they're claiming before claiming it.

But why do people need to label themselves, anyway?
I guess fitting in is more important in the majority of today's culture than being yourself, and it's pretty sad.

[QUOTE=MirrIll]It's not what I consider to be real emo, it's simply what emo is. The main difference between emo and what is considered emo now is the fact that, well, they sound NOTHING ALIKE.

To set things straight, I don't even like real emo. I can't get into it. I'm actually a fan of a lot of bands considered "emo" nowadays. The only reason this topic fires me up so much is the fact that these people, these kids, these "music" stations are taking something that was once respectable and basically bastardizing it.

Emo has become the signature term for "whiny kids who cut themselves, can't keep their girlfriends, and cry too much". Now every kid in girls jeans, every kid with black hair, every boy in eyeliner, every girl wearing tacky jewelry, is automatically labeled emo.

Scene and emo do not equal the same thing, yet somehow they've become one.
Scene is a pretty crappy word as well, and I'd say it's hardly a term to be proud of, but when it comes down to labels, that's what the whole girl pants, band t-shirt cliche fits under.

And it SHOULD mean something to them that it means emotive hardcore. "Emotional" could fit in almost any genre of music, so that doesn't even make sense. People should know what they're claiming before claiming it.

But why do people need to label themselves, anyway?
I guess fitting in is more important in the majority of today's culture than being yourself, and it's pretty sad.[/QUOTE][COLOR=Indigo]There?s no point in getting upset over a word or term being changed. Society changes and so does the meaning of words to match. A huge percentage of all language changes in meaning on a regular basis. Sometimes it?s a positive change and other times it?s a negative one.

I see no reason why a previous meaning should mean anything to the current generation. Unless you are studying history or writing a paper on the subject where knowing the difference is important, there?s just no reason to get worked up over it.

In a sense these people know exactly what they are claiming even if they don?t understand where the word or phrase originally came from. Take the word mistress. Most people instantly think of a married man having an affair and that the woman is labeled his ?mistress.? But the truth is that until the 19th century the word mistress was the female equivalent of mister. It had nothing to do with adultery or an affair. It was merely an honorific that could refer equally to a respectable wife or a respectable single lady.

Labels to some extent are there to help us understand who we are and to identify with others. It doesn?t really say who you are but it does give people a point to start with. Is it sad? I don?t think so, if you took away all labels it wouldn?t change the fact that people want to fit in with the crowd so to speak. And wanting to fit in is part of who you are.[/COLOR]

Hmmph; Neo Emo is idiotic and possibly the most pathetic thing on the face of the planet except for maybe fake Metal Heads; Now those guys are pathetic.

Problems with Neo-Emos are that the buggers are trying to pass their problems off to other people, even when they barely even know them. I have often finished off the discussions with "Yeah, Life's a *****, Heres a Knife"

A classic example of this is when I was at my old school there was this kid in my class who would always ***** about how hard his life is. Thing is, is that everyone nows that he is the most spoilt person in the class. He would just start whining things to his friends about **** which really began to piss me off.

He would keep going on about how he was going to cut himself if something didn't go his way. So one day I bought a crap old Pocket Knife to school and when he began whining as usual, do you want to know what I did? I took out the Pocket Knife and slammed it right on his desk and dared him to cut himself if he hated life so much than he should go through with what he threatened to do.

He turned a lovely shade of white then

[size=1][font=georgia]Thank you, ze Monster.

Being a teen, only thirteen myself, I really know of nothing about the real 'emo', as described in this thread. Although, I'm more familiar with the 'neo-emo'...

It would be quite surprising if one of them actually killed themselves, rather then mope on about it. The neo-emo I know of are people to be quite attractive, healthy, with good grades, and anything they could possibly want. They're moping on and cutting themselves because their boyfriends or girlfriends decided 'You know what? I don't like you anymore.' Not to be stereotypical, but, in my case at school it's true.

Sure, I'll try to help people who have issues, and get them to feel good about themselves if they feel really bad and/or have low self-esteem. But I don't get it when they say 'Why can't I be happy and I hate life' and crap like that..well then try to get help and be happy. Your life isn't going to get better unless you do something about it, and if you don't even attempt, it isn't going to get better.

At a point I wish they did kill themselves and would save the world from their own pity. >>[/font][/size]

My friends claim to hate emos but quite obviously they are emos themselves. My 11year old friend's 13 year old 'boyfriend' dumped her 2 months ago after they went out for one week and I have yet to stop hearing about him.

Funny song:[URL=http://emosong.ytmnd.com/]the emo song[/URL]

[size=1][color=slategray]It's all an act, you know. A way of getting attention. And it bugs the crap outta me. For example, a lot of people in our high school cut themselves just to get pity. So peope look at them and say, "Oh, they're depressed, let's go get them cake." But it doesn't really work when over half the school does it.

In fact, someone I hang out with sometimes acts all depressed and "sighs" all the time just to get people to look at him. He thinks he has a depressing life, even though he gets everything he wants and he's a spoiled little whiny *****. XD Oh, I'm getting vicious. >>

I actually know some people with some depression problems, for like, [I]real[/I]. And normally they don't complain about it. And they certainly don't cut themselves. They make the best out of the happy times they get. And if there is something that is bothering them, they know what to do about it: go talk to someone you trust.

Anyway... yeah, basically everyone knows that "emo" is just another fashion/attitude trend. But, you know... the poor souls that have to experience time with them, just have to endure it. Unless all those people that threaten suicide actually get the balls to do it... then... well, whoo! >>
I mean, honestly, can't people find better things to do with their lives than mope around because of nothing? Like, find something that you enjoy. Like gaming! Unless they just enjoy moping around. O.o Which I find VERY unbelieveable. Well, then again, some people just feed off of tragedy automatically.
Whatever. I don't feel like discussing anymore.
Lix out...

Heh... emus. Nice.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082]Oh, I don't know. I think that could be [url=http://gmanisnotpleased.ytmnd.com/][u]pretty awesome[/u][/url'].[/color][/quote][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Hehe [Hug]Desbreko[/Hug] That?s a good one! ^_~

I agree with [B]indifference[/B], it?s kind of pointless to focus on what word they are using to label their behavior. Sounds to me like they are just trying to get attention. And [B]Lix[/B] is right in that most of them probably don?t have a clue what a really depressing life is like.

Most people I know who have had real problems in life are so upset that they almost don?t even catch your attention as they are so quiet and withdrawn. Like one girl in one of my classes, she was so quiet and hardly said anything and occasionally would leave to hide the fact that she was crying.

Unlike the stupid kids trying to get attention by claiming they are an ?emo? so to speak she actually did have a depressing life since her brother was killed in a car accident recently. It?s annoying to listen to the others whine since most of them have never had to do without or lose someone important to them. Feh! Sounds like many of them need a swift kick in the butt.[/COLOR]