OtakuBoards

Naruto Manga [Warning: Spoilers]

Ryo the Tactician

Naruto is a good series in my opinion, I always see it as a very good fantasy story trapped in the body of a shonen manga.

There are quite a few characters that seem to just disapear as the manga moves forward, like I cant remember the last time Lee made an apearance. He was/is my most favourite character alongside Jiraya.

I was quite please jiraya died cos it kinda gave kishimoto a little credibility.

I read the series and enjoy it, but only do so in hopes to read the ending to this unnessarily long "friend chase", for that is what it is.

P.S More hinata would be cool, I hate how the series focus's so heavily on sharingan yet blatantly overlooks Byakugan. I think (more like hope) Hinata will become the true successor of the clan overpowering Neji. This will most likely happen after Naruto being the pure idiot he is give an insipirational speech to her that will send her power level rocketing over 9000!!!.

[quote name='Alucard']P.S More hinata would be cool, I hate how the series focus's so heavily on sharingan yet blatantly overlooks Byakugan. I think (more like hope) Hinata will become the true successor of the clan overpowering Neji. This will most likely happen after Naruto being the pure idiot he is give an insipirational speech to her that will send her power level rocketing over 9000!!!.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]It is kind of funny how that works out, since waaaay back in the Chuunin Exams (I think,) Kakashi stated that Byakugan was more powerful (Of course, now we have the Rinnengan to deal with, which is even more powerful.) Then Kishi proceeded to advance the Sharingan to surpass the Byakugan by doing everything the Byakugan can do plus infringe copyrights and see the future.

And seeing as how Neji got screwed on that deal at the birth of his father, The only thing keeping Hinata from being head of the Hyuuga clan is her little sister, who being younger also got screwed by fate.[/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]Jeez, I complain about a lack of activity in this thread and then leave OB for a day and there's about fifteen replies. I guess I'm the one scaring people off Phenom, my bad. ^_^;

[B]Zabuza and Haku[/B]
Firstly, *whacks Ace up-side the head* No yaoi pairings in this thread, I have to go through enough of them when trying to find a good fanfiction already.

Actually the Zabuza arc was probably my favourite of all the Naruto arcs so far because the characters were actually acting in their capacity as ninja in it, i.e. they were given a mission and had to complete it. Since they it's just been "Save Sasuke" or "Deal with Akatsuki". I'd be nice to see them go on missions occasionally again.

[b]Neji and Hinata[/b]
Sorry guys, but as much as I like Hinata as a character, she's probably my favourite female in the whole series, she'll never exceed Neji as a ninja. Yes, I would like to see Hinata develop to a point where she is confident in herself and her own abilities, but for her to develop ahead of Neji and his prodigious talent would require another Sasuke vs. Itachi level handicapping, and I?ve already seen one of my favourite geniuses die from that.

Hinata is a likeable character, but she?s likeable because of how she?s dealt with her relative lack of talent within the clan, despite how it must obviously weigh down on her. If Hinata suddenly develops into a normal Hyuuga heir by herself, I think she?d lose what makes her special and her character would be ruined. Hinata is the one who?ll heal the rift between the two families, and that?s why she?s important.

Neji on the other hand as pretty much lost his whole plot since he learned the truth about his father?s death. Sure he?s still the most talented Hyuuga in the entire clan, but will never lead it, unless Hiashi weds him off to Hinata, now before I get flamed for this, we?ve never seen a non-Hyuuga in the clan i.e. someone married into it, and given their fears over the Byakugan being stolen, this leads me to believe they do engage in marrying between the families. Either way, Neji needs to ditch his Hyuuga manskirt for an ANBU uniform, it?s been so glaringly obvious from Day 1 he should become an ANBU.

Overall though, the Hyuuga definitely need development, along with the Uchiha they were supposed to be Konoha?s most powerful clan and yet we?ve seen relatively little of them. For instance one of the most glaring questions we?ve yet to get an answer for is why Hizashi (Neji?s father) was in the Branch Family while Hanabi remains in Main Family, despite both being siblings to the clan heir.

[b]Ten-Ten[/b]
Who ? Kidding, kidding. Yeah, I suppose she is underused, but truth be told, I never cared about her enough to actually want it otherwise, increasing her page-time would decrease others who I like better. She's Neji's training partner and that's about it as far as I?m concerned.

[b]The Three Great Eye Techniques[/b]
Originally I liked the Sharingan, back when the three tomoe version was the max one could safely get without the risk of eventual blindness, even then though there were elements of haxs to it, but at least there were limits as well i.e. Sasuke couldn?t copy jutsu he wasn?t physically able to perform like Lee?s taijutsu at the same speed. Now of course, it?s been haxxed to Over 9000 !!!!

Rinnegan, don?t really know enough about it yet, aside from it?s CCTV functionality, and something to do with Pein?s six bodies. Of course Jiraiya referred to it as the greatest of the three, so I?m assuming there?s a lot more to it, to match the EMS.

And then of course we have the unhaxxed Byakugan, which despite leading to the most deadly form of taijutsu in the Naruto universe in Gai?s opinion Jyuuken, it?s been beaten almost every time we?ve seen it. And of course recently it?s been relegated to becoming the handy-dandy ninja binoculars.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Aceburner'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
And seeing as how Neji got screwed on that deal at the birth of his father, The only thing keeping Hinata from being head of the Hyuuga clan is her little sister, who being younger also got screwed by fate.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

I may be mistaken but didnt the two branch of families get along again? I was under the impression that neji was now going to be the head considering he is being trained under Hinata's father and being the strongest Hyuuga clan member.

Oh yeh and to whoever said naruto needs a little more love innit, I agree. They are all reaching an age where they should be seeing someone. I wouldnt mind if this would happen but since its a shonen manga....*runs away*

[quote name='Alucard']I may be mistaken but didn't the two branch of families get along again?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I've always felt that Neji's resentment towards the Main Family was indicative of the general feelings of those in the Branch Family as a whole. I think it was Neji himself who was to one to say there was a lot of hatred between the two families, but it's been a while since I actually went back and read that particular section of the manga.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Alucard']I was under the impression that Neji was now going to be the head considering he is being trained under Hinata's father and being the strongest Hyuuga clan member.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Again this is a grey area, we've had nothing to say that he has been chosen over Hinata, nor anything to say that the training is simply to develop his skills as a Hyuuga. Personally I've felt that as long as Hanabi is in the equation, Neji won't be chosen directly to succeed Hiashi because she's apparently a genius too, as well as being a member of the Main Family.

Relating to the training itself, I think that was just Hiashi's way of repaying his debt for Hizashi's sacrifice, that and he obviously wants a talent like Neji's to develop given it promotes the strength of the Hyuuga as a whole, even if he isn't a Main Family member. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]
Again this is a grey area, we've had nothing to say that he has been chosen over Hinata, nor anything to say that the training is simply to develop his skills as a Hyuuga. Personally I've felt that as long as Hanabi is in the equation, Neji won't be chosen directly to succeed Hiashi because she's apparently a genius too, as well as being a member of the Main Family.

Relating to the training itself, I think that was just Hiashi's way of repaying his debt for Hizashi's sacrifice, that and he obviously wants a talent like Neji's to develop given it promotes the strength of the Hyuuga as a whole, even if he isn't a Main Family member. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

After doing some more reading it seems that the level of skill isnt so much as a factor to decide leadership but more emphasis on birth order (hence why neji's father hated his brother). With this I think its safe to assume that Hinata will be handed the leadership eventually, most likely with Neji and Hanabi as her two strong underlings.

Also Neji was declared more of a genius than even Hanabi. This was back when neji fought Hinata.

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"][B]Zabuza and Haku[/B]
Firstly, *whacks Ace up-side the head* No yaoi pairings in this thread, I have to go through enough of them when trying to find a good fanfiction already.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]It doesn't count if the pairing is canon. *shot*

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Neji will never be able to succeed the Main Branch of the Hyuuga clan. From the way I understand, the branch family's only purpose is to keep the main family alive. They're basically the forced bodyguards, so they're never considered candidates. The only exception is Hanabi, who was considered because Hinata's father thought Hinata was too weak to inherit the position. Of course, that shouldn't be much of an issue anymore since she's become a pretty competent ninja now. Nowhere near Neji's level, but she'd probably make a decent heir now.[/FONT]

[quote name='Aceburner'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"] Of course, that shouldn't be much of an issue anymore since she's become a pretty competent ninja now.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm having a hard time understanding what this even has to do with being the head. What does the head of the clan do anyway? Does it really have so much to do with being a kick a** ninja?:animestun

[color=darkblue][size=1]The head of the clan is the strongest member of that clan. It's the face that is most prominent and represents the clan to the rest of the community. If the head of the clan is weak, the clan will be seen as weak. If that happens, they can come under attack or lose face within their chosen community. So yes, being a "kick-*** ninja" does help when choosing a head of clan.

I will now sink back into the background.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Aceburner'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]It doesn't count if the pairing is canon. *shot*[/FONT][/quote] [COLOR=#503f86]*counterattack* The pairing is not canon; people are far too quick to place stigma on any kind of personal interaction. Do you fancy everyone you talk to? No. With that same logic you can argue that Iruka blatantly fancies Naruto.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503f86]Gai and Lee are more of a couple than those two anyway :p[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503f86][I'm in two minds about whether or not I mind what people think about this. On one hand, it's cool that characters are giving people scope to imagine more about their lives, but when it's something like that everything just turns unnecessary and somehow degrades the character. What happened to innocence and platonic kindredness? [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503f86]Perfect example: [spoiler]Dumbledore/Harry. Why J.K felt he needed to be gay still mystifies me[/spoiler]][/COLOR]

[quote name='Kei'][color=darkblue][size=1]The head of the clan is the strongest member of that clan.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Okay then, this next part is directed toward Aceburner. How come you say that Neji will probably not be the head of the clan? If it's the strongest, I don't think that Hinata will be the head and Neji is better suited for the headship.

[quote name='Solo Tremaine'][COLOR=#503f86]*counterattack* The pairing is not canon; people are far too quick to place stigma on any kind of personal interaction. Do you fancy everyone you talk to? No. With that same logic you can argue that Iruka blatantly fancies Naruto.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Yeah, I was kidding. I'm just pretty much acting like a moron for no particular reason, though the Iruka example is slightly flawed since he's a little more of a big brother/father figure, whereas Zabuza was basically Haku's reason for living.

Now if we were on the subject of Orochimaru...

Anyway, Chibi: From my understanding, the clan leadership position is mostly a birthright. The only exceptions seem to be if the firstborn is too weak or dies before they can take over. Hinata was considered weak, so at the time she was assigned to Kurenai it was Hanabi who was being considered. The only way Neji would get it is probably if both Hinata and Hanabi died before having children and Hiashi had no more children.

Also, Neji's name doesn't begin with an "H." This is clearly an important factor, especially since his father's name did.[/FONT]

[quote name='Aceburner'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Yeah, I was kidding. I'm just pretty much acting like a moron for no particular reason, though the Iruka example is slightly flawed since he's a little more of a big brother/father figure, whereas Zabuza was basically Haku's reason for living.[/FONT][/quote][COLOR=#503f86]I know. Likewise, I was pulling an example that people would object to, even though because of the series' own logic of emotions, neither couple works :p[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503f86]But yeah, Orochimaru is really dodgy. "I want the bodies of little boys!" Hmm...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]I'm starting to regret ever posting the fact that Sasuke's not into women.

[quote name='Aceburner']Anyway, Chibi: From my understanding, the clan leadership position is mostly a birthright. The only exceptions seem to be if the firstborn is too weak or dies before they can take over. Hinata was considered weak, so at the time she was assigned to Kurenai it was Hanabi who was being considered. The only way Neji would get it is probably if both Hinata and Hanabi died before having children and Hiashi had no more children.[/quote]
Good read. I completely forgot about the whole main branch issues. (If only kishimoto would take some time to incorporate his secondary characters into the story now...) But yeah, unless everything's been patched up between the two houses (?), Neji don't have a chance becoming head. However, surpassing the head is always welcomed.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aceburner'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
Anyway, Chibi: From my understanding, the clan leadership position is mostly a birthright. The only exceptions seem to be if the firstborn is too weak or dies before they can take over. Hinata was considered weak, so at the time she was assigned to Kurenai it was Hanabi who was being considered. The only way Neji would get it is probably if both Hinata and Hanabi died before having children and Hiashi had no more children.

Also, Neji's name doesn't begin with an "H." This is clearly an important factor, especially since his father's name did.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Hey which chapter does Hiashi indicate that Hanabi was being considered for head over Hinata?

[quote name='Alucard']Hey which chapter does Hiashi indicate that Hanabi was being considered for head over Hinatai?[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Is it wrong for me to find your misspelling of "Hinata" hilarious? [SIZE="1"](My eyes were basically drawn to the letters "H,n,t,a,i.")[/SIZE]

I don't remember the exact chapter, but it was in a flashback during the Chuunin exams sometime during the Neji vs. Hinata fight. It showed her being assigned to Kurenai for training. Hiashi said something about her being a disappointment compared to her younger sister.[/FONT]

[quote name='Aceburner'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Is it wrong for me to find your misspelling of "Hinata" hilarious? [SIZE="1"](My eyes were basically drawn to the letters "H,n,t,a,i.")[/SIZE]

I don't remember the exact chapter, but it was in a flashback during the Chuunin exams sometime during the Neji vs. Hinata fight. It showed her being assigned to Kurenai for training. Hiashi said something about her being a disappointment compared to her younger sister.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Hmm, I asked because I wanted to know whether she was just a disapointment (as we already know) or whether she was actively being pushed to the side for Hanabi. If it was the later then the whole Neji's dad vs Hiashi thing seems a little pointless.

P.S Oh crap, just realised that typo. -_-". Sorry. Ill get right to fixing it.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Spoilers:[/FONT]

[quote=Narutofan][spoiler][SIZE="1"]綱手「このカエルの中に忍を一人拘束している」地面の小さなカエルを指差す
Tsunade: There?s a ninja who?s trapped inside this frog. *She points to the little frog on the ground

ナルトが中忍試験受けた時の一時試験の監督(名前忘れまんした)「自来也様から話は前もって受 けてました」 「では大きくなってくれ」
*Guy from the Chuunin exams whose name nobody can remember: ?We already heard about things from Jiraiaya-sama (as in, Jiraiya told them he might send them someone for interrogation before he left). (Talking to the frog) Please grow for us.?

~回想~
*Flashback

じい様カエルがナルト達に自来也が無茶をしてしまったと伝える
*The old frog tells Naruto and everybody that Jiraiya was acting reckless

じい様カエル「逃げようと思えば逃げられたかもしれないが命と引き換えに暗号を残した」「お前 らにたくした んじゃ」
Old Frog: If he wanted to escape he probably could have but he traded his life to leave that code. He left things up to you all.

回想終わり
*End of flashback

綱手の足元にいたカエル大きくなってる
*The frog near Tsunade grows.

綱手「手荒でかまわん。全て聞き出せ」
*Tsunade: Be as rough as you like, I don?t really care. Just get all the information you can out of him.

ナルトの中忍(ry「そのつもりです」
Guy from Chuunin exams: It?s our intention to do so.

~検死室3~
*Meanwhile at Autopsy Room 3

死体解剖が始まる
*They begin examining the dead body (presumably the Pein body as seen in the spoiler pic)

また場面は変わる
*Scene change again

~暗号班~
*The Code Group

しかまる「どうすか?」
Shikamaru: So how is it?

おじさん「木の葉の暗号じゃないね。どのアルゴリズムにも適応せんから」「自来也様がギリギリ 残したって事 は複雑な暗号ではないと思うが」
Older man: It?s not a Konoha code. None of our algorithms work on it. Jiraiya-sama barely managed to leave the code for us so I wouldn?t think it would just be some random code?

しかまる「解読できるんすか?」
Shikamaru: Can you decipher it?

シホ「ぶっちゃけ鍵を知らないと無理です!」
Shiho (lady with glasses in the spoiler pic): To be frank, we won?t be able to do it without the key.

しかまる「鍵?」
Shikamaru: Key?

どうやら自来也の事をよく知る人物なら伝わるかもしれないらしい
*Apparently the code might make sense to someone who knew Jiraiya well

しかまる「だとすると(五代目かカカシ先生か?)」「ありがとうございました。また何かあった ら伺いますん で」
Shikamaru: Then that means (the Fifth Hokage or Kakashi-sensei?) Thank you for your help. I will be back if I hear anything else.

シホしかまるの後ろ姿を惚れ惚れした顔で見つめる
*Shiho stares at Shikmaru as he?s walking away as if she?s in love.

~外~
*Outside

まずはカカシに暗号を聞きに行く
*Shikamaru goes to ask Kakashi first about the code

カカシ「この106って数字は確か???」
Kakashi: This 106, this number was?

~回想~
*Flashback

自来也「106だのぉ」
Jiraiya: It?s 106.

カカシ「なにがです?」
Kakashi: What is?

自来也「106センチ」
Jiraiya: 106 cm.

綱手の胸を見る二人
*They both look at Tsunade?s breasts (her bust size is apparently 106 cm ? see the spoiler pic).

~回想終わり~
*End of flashback

カカシ「???いや違うな」
Kakashi:?that can?t be it.

しかまる「?」
Shikamaru: ?

カカシはわからないから五代目かナルトの所に行けと言うが五代目もわからなかったらしい
*Kakashi doesn?t know so he tells Shikamaru to go ask the Fifth Hokage but she didn?t know either

~ナルト自宅~
*Meanwhile at Naruto?s house

ピンポーン
*Ding-dong (doorbell)

ナルト「しかまるか」
Naruto: Oh, Shikamaru.

しかまる「とりあえず上がっていいか?」
Shikamaru: Hey, can I just come in?

しかまる「なんかわかったか?」
Shikamaru: Did you figure anything out?

ナルトは上の空でしかまるの質問に答えない
*Naruto?s likely spacing out by staring up and ignoring Shikamaru?s question

しかまるにちょっと付き合えと言われ一緒に病院に行く
*Shikamaru asks Naruto to come with him and they both go to the hospital

病院の入り口で二人で待ってると紅が出てくる
*As they wait outside the hospital Kurenai comes out

妊娠していたのだ
*Kurenai's pregnant (was pregnant).

紅と別れる
*They then leave Kurenai

しかまる「あの子はオレの弟子になる」
Shikamaru: That kid?s going to be my student.

ナルト「!」
Naruto: !

「アスマから託された子だ」「オレも師を無くしてっからお前の気持ちもわかるが」「うじうじしても始まらね えだろ」「とっくにそんな立場じゃねえんだよ」
Shikamaru: Asuma left that kid in my hands. I lost my teacher too so I know how you?re feeling but nothing will get started if you just keep moping around. Especially at a time like this.

ナルト「どういうことだってばよ」
Naruto: What do you mean?

鹿「オレは重要な事から下らないこと色々託された」「お前だってそうだろ。俺たちもそろそろな んじゃねえか ?」
Shikamaru: I?m put in charge of important things as well as totally meaningless tasks. I know you are too. We?re going to have to do that at some point, right?

ナルト「なにがだよ?」
Naruto: Do what?

鹿「託される側から託す側にならね~とよ。めんどくせーけどそうも言ってられねえ」
Shikamaru: Go from being left to take care of things to leaving things for people to take care of. It?s a pain in the *** but we can?t complain about it.

鹿「お前もラーメンおごる側になるしナルト先生とか呼ばれんだからよ。いつまでもガキじゃいら れねえ」
Shikamaru: You?re gonna have to be the one to treat people to ramen because you?ll be the one called teacher. You can?t just be a kid forever.

「遊馬や自来也様みてえなかっけー忍になりてえならよ」
Shikamaru: Especially if you want to be a cool ninja like Asuma and Jiraiya-sama.

ナルト自来也を思い出す
*Naruto remembers Jiraiya

口許が笑うナルト
*Naruto smiles

鹿「しっかりしろよな??お前にはやることがあるんだからよ」
Shikamaru: Get yourself together?you have things to take care of too.

以上です
*End of chapter[/SIZE][/spoiler][/quote]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]It's nice to see a Naruto chapter with Naruto in it sometimes. Another plus: 100% less Uchiha!

[spoiler]Kishi, just get to whatever the deal is with Pein already, man. That's really all we care about. Oh, and try not to make it suck.[/spoiler][/FONT]

[quote name='Aceburner'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Spoilers:[/FONT]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]It's nice to see a Naruto chapter with Naruto in it sometimes. Another plus: 100% less Uchiha!

[spoiler]Kishi, just get to whatever the deal is with Pein already, man. That's really all we care about. Oh, and try not to make it suck.[/spoiler][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Dude how can you bear to read spoilers >
*Must restrain from reading spoilers, MUST RESTRAIN*

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Spoilers never bothered me. Mainly because I'm always trying to figure out whats happening ahead of time.

Even though he's not amongst my favorites, Shikamaru was the highlight of this chapter (obviously). Kind of crappy when some of your best characters are only good for moral support now.

I don't have too much to say about this chapter. I'll let everyone else talk about the depression Naruto is going through, and whatnot.

[quote name='Aceburner']It's nice to see a Naruto chapter with Naruto in it sometimes. Another plus: 100% less Uchiha![/quote]
I was happy to see less Naruto. But, unfortunately, we all got treated to Sasuke galore. While I don't mind it much, I still don't care for the main 3 characters. Personally, with Itachi gone, I'd rather see more of Kakashi.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Well, the teaser at the end says we get to know what Pein's secret is next chapter, which is really all I care about right now. This is encouraging.

As for the code, I think the key might be Jiraya's first book. Of course, I would find it mildly amusing if the solution happened to be the first letter (or kanji, whatever) of various female villagers possessing bust sizes equal to the numbers written. But it would only be a little funny.[/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]Meh, not a bad chapter overall, but not ground-breaking either. Personally I felt the Shikamaru/Asuma/Asuma's kid plug was a little unnecessary, we all know he's there, we all know he's probably going to kick-*** on an epic scale when he's older, there's no need to remind us. Anyone else notice Kurenai's eyes look suspiciously similar to the Rinnegan ?

As for the meaning behind 106, sure, I got a chuckle out of it, but it made me wonder if the different numbers stand for individual words, like 106 means Tsunade. Guess we'll find out next week.[/SIZE]