OtakuBoards

Anime that need a sequel/continuation

5th Hokage

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Well... I'm not a mod or anything, but you should really add some more info in your post. Like which one you think should and why! ok? Don't kill me! I'm just trying to make sure you don't get into any trouble! :) Well here's my answer anyway :D

I think Trigun should DEFINATELY have a second season! I love all of the episodes and characters! Plus it's a very emotional anime! You get into all of the episodes no matter what!!!

O.k. Well I'm done! Buh bye! :) [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503F86]The problem with trying to get second seasons of animes that have already finished is just that: they are finished, usually with most of their plotlines completely tied up as far as they can go- trying to stretch them out any further would make them less enjoyable than the first. As much as it might be nice to see those characters again, wouldn't you rather remember and watch a decent story over and over again then get fed up with them because they're in a new, mediochre plot? Granted, not all sequels are necessarily like that, but I like the ambiguity that some animes end.

Trigun, for instance, had a fantastic ending. I'd be interested in seeing what happened next because I like the characters so much, but when it comes down to it, I wouldn't want to ruin what was a fantastic series by having something incongruous or just plain bad at the end. The Nadesico: Prince of Darkness movie is a decent example of a sequel that doesn't quite work, and with the way the movie was done it puts a slightly nastier edge to the original series, which isn't something I enjoy watching it with.

And yes, you should really put more detail into your posts 5th Hokage. Especially if you're starting a thread.[/COLOR]

trigun would definitely be one of my picks too. I'd be really interested on what they'd do with the ending (if you seen it you'll know what i'm talking about)

I also think Outlaw Star left itself open for so much more then it gave at the end after the last episode I thought ''wow the next season is going to be great'' but if never came.

P.S. I would have put my answer on the thred but I was getting a call and had to log off ( I hate dail-up)

[COLOR=#503F86]I really don't think there'd be much more mileage in Trigun, save for revealing the histories of the Plants and Gung-Ho Guns, but on their own they wouldn't provide a huge basis for a whole second season.

We've seen Vash go as far as he can go: [spoiler]He said he would look to his own words for advice, which I take to mean that he'd continue to do things in almost the same way as he has done throughout the series already, which would make for rather boring repetition of adventures. The hinted-at love between him and Meryl wouldn't take long to bring out, and once it has then it's lost the tension. The only other thing would be sonthing involving Millie, but since Wolfwood didn't make it to the end she's left on her own. She doesn't have enough of a backstory to fill a season.[/spoiler]

I'm not saying I wouldn't [i]like[/i] to see another season of it, but I just doubt it'd work. The same goes for Outlaw Star. It'd be hard to create an entirely new story with no character mysteries left to unravel. There isn't much bigger a climax you can get than fighting against the [spoiler]biggest power in the universe- Hazanko and the Galactic Leyline[/spoiler]. [i]Angel Links[/i] was the spin-off of Outlaw Star, starring Duuz and Valeria from the security ship. I think that's the best you'd get in terms of a sequel for that.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1][B]Get Backers should definitely have a second season. The ending is just a bit too quick. I never knew how many episodes there was until one day, when I was watching an episode, it finally ended. I was like O.O and wished there was more of it.

My idea for its second season would be fighting with the gods of Mugenjou. The story of the so-called gods was also very limited that I never understood them well. The makers of Get Backers left me with curiosity about them and how exactly powerful they are. The arabic looking guy in the end who called himself a god of Mugenjou even left a hanging statement.

[SPOILER]"Are they (Get Backers) a threat to us who call ourselves the gods of Mugenjou?"[/SPOILER][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='5th Hokage']of all the great animes that have had only one season (trigun, cowboy bebop, outlaw star, DNA2, ect)which should be brought back for a second chance.[/quote]I take exception to the idea that any of the series you mention are great anime. They have not been around for very long and haven't made all that much impact on anime generally.

There are a couple of series being revived at present - Getter Robo and Tetsujin 28gou ("Gigantor" to US fans) - which are much older and can definitely be shown to have influenced the growth of anime. These, however, are recapitulations of the original story, revising instead of extending what has gone before.

i think it would be tough to make a sequel to most good anime. the story is so complex and well written that in the end, everyhting is over, its THE END. there are no cliffhangers, everything is tied up and there is nothing to worry about for a possible sequel.

that being said, if there was one, nothing can match trigun, i want to see trigun 2

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I'd really like for there to be a second season to [B]Fruits Basket[/B]. The reason as to why there wasn't a second season was because the manga is still printing in Japan. BUT I think that once the manga is completed, a second season should be made *^^*

Similarily, I think the same thing should be done for [B]Yami no Matsuei [/B] [Descendants of Darkness]. [/COLOR]

[font=Verdana][size=2]For me, it would be Flame of Recca. I haven't really seen the OVA that my friends are talking about. But I can really say that it has a sequel but not in a series format because it's the OVA. [/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Also at the end of Flame of Recca, the characters said that there are still so many answers to be solved. Like the illness of Recca's mother, Ms. Kagero, how Anna Yanagi got her powers?, does Kurei will attack again the Hokage ninjas? and some more (i forgot some ones.....)[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]Also I'm intrigued by the game of Flame of Recca in the PS2 titiled Flame of Recca: The Final Burning. I'm just thinking if it's storyline has something to do with the anime:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: [/size][/font]

[quote name='BountyHeadEd[/QUOTE']Bebop Should Have I Got mad At The Ending[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]Welcome to OtakuBoards, BountyHeadEd. I know you're new to OB, but please put more thought and effort into your posts in the future. This, being so short, is a spam post and I've hence deleted it.

Try not to use capital letters at the beginning of each word- it's not only bad grammar, it's also fairly annoying. I suggest you take a look at the [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?]Rules[/URL], and if you have any questions feel free to PM me or any other member of Staff.[/COLOR]

while i wouldn't title them great, below are the anime i would like to see a second season of, and i feel deserve -nay- *requires* a second season, mainly because they left plothole, they left you hanging, or the simply left and you are off to bugger yourself at the half finish plot with no ending in sight...

Legend of Basara (season was cut short) : THERE IS NO ENDING!!!!

Kare Kano (season finished, but the story just cut off?) : not only no ending, but no finale either!

Juuni Kokki (season canned due to lack of material) : while i am unhappy, it has a decent ending in 39, everything afterward is considered brownies.

Gilgamesh (complete ending of season that totally didn't make sense) : While I have nothing against abstract art (i loved Rahxephon) this show's ending left you wondering if the director was on hashish; WTF???? how in god's name did the whole mess ended in a bloodbath that left no satisfying conclusion to ANY characters, protagonist or not....

[quote name='`hEvN][COLOR=RoyalBlue']Get Backers should definitely have a second season. The ending is just a bit too quick. I never knew how many episodes there was until one day, when I was watching an episode, it finally ended. I was like O.O and wished there was more of it.[/COLOR][/quote]
I wished there was more too, but how long was GB? 49 or 50 eps or something, right? That's quite a bit. They managed to pretty much conclude on two different stories (both based in Mugenjou) quite nicely. But I agree; there was a lot of possibility for more. They kept it very open. I would have preferred complete liberation of Mugenjou or something.

My pick for a series that needs a second season is most definitely Gravitation. As it is, it's a small, 13 episode dramatic series. With a series based on something like a struggling band and such an intense problematic relationship, there is tons of room for advancement and different kinds of stories. At the end of the series there could have been many more conflicts and... progression in relationship for Shuichi and Yuki. The ending didn't have to feel as premature as it did. They could have pulled off a 26 episode series easily. And without it feeling old or drawn out.

~adempton

[U][I][B]Trigun[/B] [/I][/U] should have a second season. Though there may not be much left to... [I]reveal[/I], I would like to see what happens after. Like, where do Vash and Knives go? And what about Meryl and Milly?

[U][I][B]Cowboy Bebop[/B] [/I] [/U] should also have a second season. I never found out what happened to Faye and Jet. *pout* That's what's mainly bothering me, since we know what happened to Skipe. :( *sniffle*

I highly doubt the second season will be as good as the first. The first of everything seems to be the best- in my opinion.

[B]Fruits Basket[/B] DEFINITELY. My favorite anime of all time. Like someone else said, there's not a second season yet because the manga's still being made, but I absolutely can't get enough Fruits Basket!

[B]Kare Kano[/B] left the ending fairly open and I love those characters way too much. I'd be jumping up and down if they made one more episode (let alone another season)

[B]Gravitation[/B] J-pop? Awesome character design? Can't go wrong with either of those two, let alone together. Thirteen episodes just wasn't enough.

[B]Flame of Recca[/B] was SO open ended. What the heck happened with Mikigami (my favorite character)?

[B]Fushigi Yugi[/B] Okay, I admit. It's over and done with. More episodes then most series. More OVAs then most series. More manga then most series. I know it's over. BUT IT WAS SO GOOD.

I got two that definently deserve a second season.

[b]Berserk[/b] - This was a great anime having around 25 episodes and has the last episode as the first one. Even the ending to the anime doesn't tie up with what happens to everyone after the huge aftermath of the demons (yea i explained that pretty bad but I'm tired). I know the manga goes in far more detail about what happens after the 25 episode of the anime. However, i only like reading manga so much and I'd rather see an anime that portrays it as another perspective.

[b]Hellsing[/b] - This anime was only 13 episodes long and was so far off compared to the manga that it was almost funny. I stilled loved it nonetheless, but they could have expand far more into this one.....at least another 13-26 more episodes to tie in the backround of each character a little more along with what happens to the foundation of Hellsing. Of course they left it off with the most important part in the air [spoiler] who was the creator of the F.R.E.A.K. chips [/spoiler]. I dont think anyone will have any questions of why this anime should have a sequal.

A lot of great animes such as [B][U]Cowboy Bebop[/U][/B] would be really hard to creat a second season. Maybe you want more of a single episode (or session) to explain what happens to each characters, well... the ones that live. In most anime, They (the creators) [I]plan[/I] to only have one season, hence, why they kill of some (or all) of the charactors.

Another exapmle, [B][U]Wolf's Rain[/U][/B]. They (the creators) gave it that kind of an ending (you know if you've seen it) because they aren't/weren't planing on a second season. Granted, that little "happy" moment at the very end makes you think that they did that so they [I]could[/I] have another season, but what's left? Some anime's aren't meant to have a continued plot. (Pretty much all that don't have one, were never [I]meant[/I] to have one.)

-With great love, Black Moon

[QUOTE][QUOTE=Monkey_Orange][COLOR=DarkOrange]I'd really like for there to be a second season to [B]Fruits Basket[/B]. The reason as to why there wasn't a second season was because the manga is still printing in Japan. BUT I think that once the manga is completed, a second season should be made *^^*

Similarily, I think the same thing should be done for [B]Yami no Matsuei [/B] [Descendants of Darkness]. [/COLOR][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I agree with you that there should be a second season for Fruits Basket and Descendants of Darkness too.

I think[B] Fruits Basket[/B] should have a second season because I love all the characters and I want to see Tohru Honda[spoiler] meet the horse and rooster and I want to see who they are too in their human form.[/spoiler]

Also I think[B] Descendants of Darkness(Yami no Matsuei)[/B] should have a second season too because I also love all the characters and[spoiler] I want to if Hisoka's curse will ever go away. Also I want to see Doctor Muraki died for real this time because he made alot of inncent people died or hunt them in some way.[/spoiler]

That why I think Fruits Basket and Descendants of Darkness should have a second season in my opinion. :)

[QUOTE]Kare Kano (season finished, but the story just cut off?) : not only no ending, but no finale either![/QUOTE]

I agree with you that there should be a second season to [B]Kare kano(His and Her Circumstances)[/B] too. The last episode didn't make any sense at all and I have alot of questions that they really didn't tell you the answer in the last episode. :confused: [spoiler] My questions are that (1) How did the play go? (Youkino's class preform) (2) Who won the class competition? (Youkino's class or Asba's class or matbe some other class?) ( 3) Last How is Youkino and Arima's relationship going to be in the future?[/spoiler]

That is why I think His and Her Circumstances should have a second season in my opinion. :)

Welcome to OtakuBoards, Kamui. Nice username. :)

I [i]really[/i] appreciate the fact that you used spoiler tags and took the time to carefully explain your choices. In the future, however, please try to keep in mind that double-posting is against the rules.

Anyway, I have to agree with you in saying that [b]Yami no Matsuei[/b] could use a second season. I was mildly annoyed by the open ending (not to mention the fact that the series is such a tease). It would have been nice if there were episodes devoted to characters other than Tsuzuki and Hisoka--for example, I'd like to learn more about Tatsumi, Oriya and Muraki. Then again, Yami no Matsuei is somewhat lacking in finesse; if it were going to have a continuation, the script would hopefully incorporate subtler characterization and decrease the emphasis on misdirected angst.

~Dagger~

• 4 weeks later...
With stuff like Blue Seed 2 being instinctive with companies and stiff like Big O II and Wolf's Rain II being funded by American studios, what animes need sequels?

I think:

Witch Hunter Robin--Needed more conclusion

.HACK//sign--DUSK didn't answer enough

Kenshin--3rd manga arc needs to be animated

Evangelion--But only IF Hidaki Anno has learned how to make a good series finalle

[i]Evangelion--But only IF Hidaki Anno has learned how to make a good series finalle[/i]

[color=firebrick] No, no, no, NO! I don't understand why so many people want to see a sequal to Evangelion! I mean, what's there to see? The last episodes of Evangelion are justified, and I do NOT want to see a change. You can't 'learn' how to make a good ending, that's like giving the audience whatever they want. He's already made End of Evangelion, the Director's Cut came out, the platinum version is being released, and a video game is coming out. People keep on insisting that a 'new ending' is made, but it's so pointless.[/color]

[font=Book Antiqua][color=blue]I really have to agree with the [b]Hellsing[/b] idea: now there's an underdeveloped yet great anime. It didn't matter that it didn't match the manga (it was quite different: the Nazis were not in the anime, and the "last boss" of the anime was not in the manga). While both Alucard and Victoria were fully developed, you never learned enough about the other two team members (i.e., Integral and Walter). At the end, you don't have enough information on Integral to figure out [spoiler]whether she desired to turn vampire or if she would make a counterstrike on those who captured her[/spoiler] (if you think otherwise, can you answer those questions?).[/color][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][color=blue]Last, I wanna see [spoiler]Alexander get owned by Alucard or, more appropriately, Victoria[/spoiler]. I don't know why or how they left that character out of the ring, but the show was definately developing in such a fashion to end him in a battle between "heirs." No more evidence is required than every verbal exchange between Alucard and [spoiler]Alexander[/spoiler], all of which appeared to design such a stage for the finale.[/color][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][color=#0000ff][b]Outlaw Star[/b] also has potential for another good continuation. While significantly more solid than Hellsing, I would have liked to explore the Outlaw Star world a little more. Maybe the series was not as deep and "1337" for many, but it was light-hearted and well-developed all the same. A series that's able to take a break from the main plot in order to develop a character or two without boring the viewer is certainly a show of merit.[/color][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][color=#0000ff]Believe it or not, there was a sequel in the works, revolving around a grown-up Jim Hawkins, but it was suspended indefinately.[/color][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][color=#0000ff][b]Rurouni Kenshin[/b]'s ending was a complete surprise. While it did end on a wonderful note, and the definite ending in the OAV sums many things, the rivalry between Kenshin's old-time rival was never settled. In the end of the anime, it seemed that the cop was prepared to beat Kenshin's [spoiler]unbeatable move[/spoiler]. Truly, I was surprised.[/color][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][color=#0000ff]I don't feel that either [b]Evangelion[/b] nor [b]Project .hack[/b] need more continuity in order to be complete, and also think that any more development on either would be hurtful to people's outlook towards these legends. While I know Eva is terrible, the story still did finish (thank God), and there was nothing left to develop on: all the characters were predictable and tame: the viewer would be sick of their interactions by the end of the series (and movies). For those who feel the series should continue, I ask, "What would they continue with?"[/color][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][color=#0000ff]As for Project .hack, while the anime certainly doesn't answer everything, the final installment of the video game series, QUARANTINE, has all explanations for the series. Thankfully, the answers to the mysterious world of .hack were not convulted or unfulfilling. Quite the opposite, they will satiate almost every fan, leaving no plot hole open.[/color][/font]