OtakuBoards

6-6-06

Corey

[size=1]So, last night before getting to my friends house, I get stopped by a rather ragged looking man. He hands me a piece of paper and says he'll pray for me.
I nod, smile, and note how much like vodka he smells.
After I get to my friends house, a short block away, I open up the piece of paper. It says something about how, supposedly, today (6-6-06) the world is going to be consumed by the apocalyptic fire and that I should get myself to the nearest church and repent.

[b]o_O[/b]

So far, so good. Nine hours into it and no fire, brimstone, or horsemen.
How is everyone else handling this completely blown out of proportion date?
Cowering at the steps of a church? Participating in lame examples of satanism? Or just going about it as normal, because it's nothing special?
And perhaps we can get a goood theological discussion about the end of the world going while were at it.[/size]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[SIZE=1]Even if I wanted to, there would be no hiding in the church for me. I had two of my GCSE exams (aka [I]really big important ones[/I], for Americans) today and it only occured to me during the second one that it was the 6/6/06 today. Then I remembered that The Omen was out and was happy, as I want to see that movie =D

I'm not a very superstitious person so the fact that this date is a number associated with Satan doesn't really bother me. I guess I could understand why really superstious people would be worried, but... *shrugs* It's just a number, in the end.

Why is 666 an evil number anyway? I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain to me. =/[/SIZE]

[quote name='Ezekiel][SIZE=1']Why is 666 an evil number anyway? I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain to me. =/[/SIZE][/quote] [COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1] I would like to know that as well.

Since my religion doesn't have 6-6-6 anywhere as being bad, or even being mentioned... I don't really know why people think it's the Omen, end of the world, etc. So, this day is basically a normal day for me. Other then hearing that more people are in chruch then usual on a Monday or people are lockiong them-selves inside for a bit.

Also, if I remember correctly. When the calender was reformatted by the Romans', didn't they get rid of a yew days / a week(s in the month of Septemeber? If so, that'd mean our date of 6-6-6, today, is off by quite a lot.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]Hmm...the end of the world? It can't be on a Tuesday, that's just lame. Now, if it were on a Sunday, or maybe on some holiday, I might consider it...or not.

Aside from that, to say that the world will end on 06.06.06 is rather stupid, to say the least, seeing how 1) the dating system was a creation of humans, and not everyone is on the same system, 2) no one really knows the "evil" number, as "666" was just assumed to be evil - there is no solid evidence that the number is "evil," and there have been speculations that the number might actually be something like "616," or something of the like; and 3) there seems to be a new apocalyptic prediction almost every year, and it's really nothing new.

I'm going to watch The Omen, and just have another ordinary day.

Later.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm looking out the window right now, and it's an overcast day during summer in southern California. That's end of the world weather if I ever saw it.

So, yeah, we're all ******, basically. I think that the last thing I'll do before the earth eats it is... uh... I don't know. Maybe I'll finally learn how to juggle properly...

[color=#b0000b][size=1][quote=Revelation 13][size=1]11Then I saw another beast, coming out of the earth. He had two horns like a lamb, but he spoke like a dragon.
12He exercised all the authority of the first beast on his behalf, and made the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose fatal wound had been healed.
13And he performed great and miraculous signs, even causing fire to come down from heaven to earth in full view of men.
14Because of the signs he was given power to do on behalf of the first beast, he deceived the inhabitants of the earth. He ordered them to set up an image in honor of the beast who was wounded by the sword and yet lived.
15He was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that it could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed.
16He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead,
17so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name.

18[b]This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666.[/b][/size][/quote]So that's where the significance of the number 666 comes from. Revelation and the end of the world. =][/color][/size]

[font=trebuchet ms][b]The Omen[/b] isn't the only product taking advantage of the date. Finnish pop-metallers (and runaway Eurovision Song Contest winners) [b]Lordi[/b] are releasing their Eurovision song, [b]Hard Rock Hallelujah,[/b] in the UK today.

The world didn't end on New Year's Day 2000, or New Year's Day 2001. I don't see why the prediction about it ending today should be less of a pile of tripe.

Although ... it's blazing sunshine here in the UK right now. That [b]never[/b] happens. Abnormal weather, hmmm. At least there aren't any clouds for it to [color=red]rain blood[/color] from.[/font]

I knew there would be a thread on this... I'm just living like it's any other day. Why should I bother thinking of things like," The world might end today!!"? If the world ended yesterday, I wouldn't care too much. I still live like it's just another day. There's really nothing special about today, so why is it such a big thing for some people? That's what I want to know, and also why do people think they can make such bold statements without any proof or knowlage what so ever?

[quote name='NightmareVC'] There's really nothing special about today, so why is it such a big thing for some people? That's what I want to know, and also why do people think they can make such bold statements without any proof or knowlage what so ever?[/quote][color=#b0000b][size=1]People make all kinds of statements, all the time, without any proof or knowledge whatsoever. Every once in a while you'll here about someone's theory that the world is going to end, or a worldwide disaster will strike, but those things mostly pass unnoticed by the public.

[url=http://www.savelivesinmay.com/]Here's an example[/url] of a gigantic disaster that didn't quite happen on May 25th.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Times New Roman]Today was odd. I'm not a superstitious person, I do belive in Lady Fate, Hell and Heaven, etc.

[U][I]My Day So Far[/U][/I]

0041 hours - woke up. literally.

0041- 0215 hours - lied in bed listening to his psp.

0215 hours - went to snack on soda on other junk food

0215 - 0337 hours - lied in bed and wondered about the rest of the day

0337 hours - daylight begins to break

0415 hours - gets out of bed and into the shower

0455 hours - made breakfast for mum and ate, again soda and junk food, with the occasional vitamin C supplement

0455 - 0615 hours - is on the computer checking inbox(es)

0618 hours - goes to school

0657 hours - goes to the shopette with friend

0715 hours - sees an abandoned girl bike, friend takes it. and rides it back to school.

0735 hours - waits for the bell to ring

0740 hours - friends arrive

0745 hours - Fury's friend points out to him that he's in a love triangle

0810 - 1455 hours - school

1455 hours - leaves to the base library, and finishes physics powerpoint andputs finishing touches on physics thesis.

1530 hours - leaves to check in with mum.

1600 hours - returns to library to finish thesis

1602 hours - finds out that all of his physics work has been deleted.

1602 - 1615 hours onwards - posts on OB

1706 hours - ?

^that's how my day's going I will give everybody a full update by 2200 hours, check myO out for that.

I honestly think that my inner demon has convenced Lady Fate to tamper with my life today.

I can hear him celebrating.

I wonder what'll happen to him at 1706 hours and six seconds?

heh heh, he'll deserve it.

^___^

I think that the triple six thing is a fad, cos there's no physical evedence of weird stuff happening, neither today OR on friday the 13th.

I think that both are just things fabricated to scare people.

There's my input.

dont forget to check out myO for a full update on today.[if you're interested]

Leon Fury.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=dimgray][size=1]

I never eally saw the logic in the dating system or even the actual number of 666.

Note: The mark of the beast was concieved waaaaay before the actual number six took on the version we have today. I do believe they used roman numerals back in then, or probably even something more primitive. It just looksl ike a 666.

Second Note: Okay. Say the world is supposed to end on 6-6-06... hrm. Let's see. 1906? 1806? 1706? Why didn't the world end on those years? All this 666 stuff came about, again, in a time when 6 wasn't even used as a number, and two, during a time when the world's dating system wasn't based on our current months, or timeline.

Sooo.... in the end it really doesn't make any sense to me. People need to calm down and not think about it so much.... or think about it more than they actually have. Heh.

It's possible maybe the actual number of triple six or six hundred and sixty six is evil. But the number as symbolized as we have has nothing to do with it and the dating system of our modern world isn't the same as the days when they actually wrote all this... So... yeah.[/color][/size]

[FONT=Arial]Let's not forget the sixth of every month in 1966, either. I checked wikipedia and absolutely nothing bad in history has happened on a 6-6-06 or x-6-66 day. Save for some activist getting shot...but that hardly counts as apocalyptic. Besides. It's not 6-6-6, it's 6-6-06. The extra digit negates all Satan crap!

So, it's been a pretty normal day for me, other than the 666 myspace profile views I had for a while. I woke up earlyish, got on the computer, drew something, and then I went to Borders and bought AFI's new album, Decemberunderground. I also got fast food for lunch. I sure hope I don't have a heart attack.

Now I'm either going to stay inside all day, or go out. I don't think my mom will let me go to Sam Ash without a helmet, or when my dad is at work (?!?), so I'll probably just stay around the neighborhood.

I AM going to make a tinfoil top hat, though.
[SIZE=1]
My supposedly genius friend is afraid to go out because of crazy people fearing the end of the world. He says he knows a ton about human nature, but I've been out all ready and no one is losing their mind. What a loser![/SIZE][/FONT]

It's just like that whole Y2K thing.
And being that I'm not a religious person anyways, today is just any other day.
People get all hyped up for nothing, and when the world does end, I doubt it would be on a day like Y2K or 06.06.06.
Although I think it's interesting how people have played off on it, like the Omen, and AFI's new album "decemberunderground" is out today too. (By the way Amelia, is it worth buying?)
It's cooler than Halloween, but at the same time I think it's kind of cheesey.
But I'm going to play along and see what strange occurances I notice today, then I'll get back to ya.

[size=1]You know, the day (6/6/06) really has zero significance because of the fact that the Romans changed the calendar back in the day. Thanks to July and August (Julius and Augustus Caeser), the months have been off by two every year after the time they changed the calendar. This is also why [B]Sept[/B]ember (7), [B]Oct[/B]ober (8), [B]Nove[/B]mber (9), and [B]Dec[/B]ember (10) are offset by two.[/size]

This message was copied and pasted from another board

First let me state that there is a 6-6-06 EVERY HUNDRED YEARS

[SIZE=4]HAPPY SATAN DAY![/SIZE]

[URL=http://img352.imageshack.us/my.php?image=00026187yv.jpg][IMG]http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/4624/00026187yv.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I got a lot of crap for my outfit, from people saying the 'holiday' os stupid, to people saying how I was cliche, to this really irritating girl who gave me flak about how I claim to dislike organized religeon yet I'm wearing a satan day outfit.

LISTEN - I just did it for fun! I'm a metal music fan, and it's a special day for us! My mom was really into it too. All the gaudy apparel I'm wering = my mom's.

We're prolly gunna go see The Omen later... the origional was friggin awesome, so this better be too :o

Also, the new AFI CD came out today, so I may pick that up if mymom gives me the money.

First of all, the date isn't even 6-6-06. It's [B][SIZE=6]6-6-[U]20[/U]06[/SIZE].[/B]

Secondly, after the apocalypse ends today, the Easter Bunny and I are going to be having dinner at the North Pole with Santa, if anyone's interested in joining us. We're having frozen foods.

Edited so the idiots who reply after me can see that it's NOT 6-6-06.

See, today hasn't been any more special for me than for the rest of you. All sorts of things get hyped up, and there are always these apocalypse theories. Besides, no one on this Earth can really tell what day is the last day.

[b]Sara[/b]: Heh, thanks for posting those verses. It's good to see other people know where 666 comes from as well. v^.^

[size=1]Well, if predictions were to be believed, the world would have ended about four times in recent years. Just because the date is 6/6/06, not even 666, doesn't mean the Devil is going to rise from Hell and eat everything, or whatever people believe is going to happen on this date.

[/size][size=1] [QUOTE] [size=2]Originally posted by [b]Corey
[/b][/size]I nod, smile, and note how much like vodka he smells.[/QUOTE] Very minor point in this whole discussion, but I was under the impression that vodka was odourless? So, really, if you smelt vodka on him, we should be having a discussion about your superhuman sense of smell, Corey. We have all gone wrong!
[/size]

[FONT=tahoma][COLOR=Navy]I completely forgot that today was 6/6/06... haha. (Wasn't the remake of the movie The Omen supposed to come out today?) I pretty much agree with what eveyone else has been saying, it's kind of dumb to think the world is going to end today. I'm not that religious, but i heard no one knows when the world is going to end so it's not like it could be predicted anyway.

Isn't 666 supposed to be the sign of the beast or whatever? (Sorry if i'm horribly wrong :animeswea ) Some kids from my school were talking about how the bible was actually misinterrupted and it's not actually 666, but 2 something. An interesting thought.

Either way, here in southern indiana it's a gorgeous day with a very slim chance of catrastrophe. : P[/COLOR] [/FONT]

Meh, none of these dates that Nostradamus would have a field day with, interest me. Although the only mildly weird thing I witnessed was a topless, geeky man with a strange pony tail jump into a bush with some woman when I was driving home from my girlfriend's.....

There was also a disturbing biker reunion about 10 minutes away from me...

[quote name='Blayze']Very minor point in this whole discussion, but I was under the impression that vodka was odourless? So, really, if you smelt vodka on him, we should be having a discussion about your superhuman sense of smell, Corey. We have all gone wrong![/quote]

Vodka + Odourless = When pigs fly and believe they're the queen.

Try telling a guy I knew who drunk drove, that the smell on his breath was odourless.

Anyway: -

iofiofejewqijd - The Devil Makes Work For Idle Thumbs (Happy 6,6,[b]06[/b] I guess.)

[QUOTE=Charles]First of all, the date isn't even 6-6-06. It's [B][SIZE=6]6-6-[U]20[/U]06[/SIZE].[/B]

Secondly, after the apocalypse ends today, the Easter Bunny and I are going to be having dinner at the North Pole with Santa, if anyone's interested in joining us. We're having frozen foods.

Edited so the idiots who reply after me can see that it's NOT 6-6-06.[/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial]
If you're going to type out the whole year, why not just make it June 6, 2006?

It's not 6-6-6. It's not 6-6-06. It's 06-06-06. Crazy tinfoil hat wearers. (Wouldn't that include me?)
[U]
[URL=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/ShikyoKasu/Melli.jpg]tin foil top hat. and lightsaber.[/URL] [/U]

Well, the day's almost over down here, and there's been no seven plagues, no splitting of the eastern sky, no beasts breathing fire, no witnesses at the wall, no catastrophe, and no demon possessed rapists. At least not around my city. But there is/was a demon movie marathon on the Monster Channel. Yay, Monster Channel.

[SIZE=1]Oh yeah, it is D-Day, isn't it?[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1]...o_O I'm a Christian. I know about 666... but... that's just weird. (blinks)

It's a DATE, for crying out loud. This is why we get bad reputations... people freak out. Just to clear some things up: the Rapture is going to be a RANDOM date. It could be in ten seconds, it could be in ten centuries. Who knows. The date has no significance. People just want an excuse to flip out, apparently.

=_= Hope all my 'religious ramble' didn't offend anyone. Heh.

[/FONT][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=GaarasStalker][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1]
=_= Hope all my 'religious ramble' didn't offend anyone. Heh.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Don't worry, I'm cool with it. You're completely right. I'm Christian as well, and like I said before, we can't really tell when the last day will come, just try to prepare for it.

But yeah, anyway... 6/6/06 is stupid and everything...

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][QUOTE=Corey][size=1]So far, so good. Nine hours into it and no fire, brimstone, or horsemen.
How is everyone else handling this completely blown out of proportion date?
Cowering at the steps of a church? Participating in lame examples of satanism? Or just going about it as normal, because it's nothing special?
And perhaps we can get a goood theological discussion about the end of the world going while were at it.[/size][/QUOTE]Actually until you posted this thread I hadn?t even noticed the date. These sorts of predictions have never impressed me since I really don?t believe in any of them. Most of the time unless someone mentions it, I rarely notice if a date is suppose to be significant in that respect.

Anyway it?s a nice warm sunny day where I?m at. Can?t say that it looks like the world is going to end or any other such nonsense. So I?ll just keep doing what I always do this time of day, which is fixing dinner. [/COLOR]