OtakuBoards

Prom.

Riku

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]Well, since it's almost that time of year, I just wanted to ask what my fellow OBers have to say on this certain time of night during your High School years.

Yes, that's right... Prom.

Since this will be my first and last prom, I just wanted to see what to expect from it and also want to hear what kind of stories you guys have from when you went to your High School Prom.

You can be in High School now or already graduated, but let us hear what kind of night you had on that special date. What your dream dress/tux looked like, any stupid/embarrassing things that happened, how it went, who you went with, how you got there and anything else you want to tell us.

As for me, well... I already bought my dress and can't wait for it to get here. It's so pretty and I can't wait until it gets here. (Also, if you need a prom dress, that site is really good and has a lot of choices to choose from. ;] )
[CENTER]
[URL=http://www.cbslimited.com/prom-dresses/detail_prom_cire-P705]My Prom Dress[/URL][/CENTER]

As for a date, one of my friends (which is totally cute, btw) asked me to go with him and I was ecstatic. Why would anyone want to go with an ugly duckling like me? Oh well, I was happy anyway. :]

Anyway, have any stories or pictures to share with us, let's hear it! I want to see what to expect on a special night like this. :D[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=deeppink]I hated prom. I had to get dressed up, which I always hate, and it was so damn cold.

Not to mention it was really a crappy dance. I'm not fond of dances anyway, but this one... it kept jumping from country to rap, and had more than one song by that band that mixes the two. I left the room for those.

Post-prom was also boring. A bunch of lame attractions. Pssh.

My date was awesome, though, so I had fun before it. We had so much sushi, we were going to be sick.[/color]

[color=crimson]I've graduated, was home schooled, but my girlfriend is a Senior and I'm her date for this year. It's being held at a ritzy hotel downtown. The theme is the Roaring 20s but she and I are ignoring that because we think it's, uh, lame.

I've selected a nice navy blue suit, khaki shirt and sleek looking tie. All I know is that her dress is navy blue and having seen it out of the corner of my eye [before she hurriedly slammed her closet door shut and repeated at 150 wpm 'did you see it?!?!' in an anxious voice] it's [i]dress shaped[/i]. Beyond that I have no clue. I know she'll look nice though. =) She's getting her nails/makeup/hair done. I feel kind of bad since in comparison I'm just going to shave and comb my hair, lol.

Should be fun.[/color]

[SIZE=1]My prom was...okay?

I didn't go out of my way to get dressed up for it or buy expensive clothes. I had a nice black pleated skirt, high heels and a corset, nothing over the top. I was more intent on having fun with my friends and getting them to dance more than anything else. Though, that said, the DJ was terrible and just played rip offs and techno remixes of old songs I really love that would have been perfectly fine untouched.

(Honestly, where is the need in remixing the Time Warp?)

I had fun, and some of the teachers got drunk, but it wasn't a big deal. I'm more looking forward to college prom next year, when alcohol is allowed for the students, my friends and I are getting a limo, and I'll hopefully find a dress I'm not worried about 'falling out of'.

But you'll have fun, and it's nice that you have a date. (Dancing with ones friends gets awkward after a while.) =/[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I'm happy to say that I have yet to reach 'prom time' though I am unhappy to say i will be soon. i will say this immediately... unless I have a really serious girlfriend who really wants to go -- it ain't happening. I don't go to school dances, I won't go to no prom. Nothing worse than wearing clothes you hate, listening to music you hate in a place you hate; surrounded by people you hate doing dances that you probably don't like. PASS.[/COLOR]

[font=comic sans ms]I've always heard that you'll regret not going to your prom. I'm pretty sure almost everyone has heard that before. Well, I didn't go, and don't regret it at. I didn't participate in any of my high school events. Mainly because I didn't really care for the school. And at most of these events something always jumped off.

With the prom being no different, a fight broke out. (And I think a fight broke out before the year I graduated as well. And afterwards... My school has a history of fights breaking out at proms for some stupid reason.) Over some he said she said garbage... I think. Forgot the details but it's somewhere along that category.

If I were to ever go to a prom, I'd probably wear a royal blue suit. Too many people wear black, white, or cream colored tuxes a little too much here.[/font]

[FONT=Tahoma]So you finally got the whole prom situation figured out eh? You'll have to tell me all about it sometime soon, KW. :)

Let's see...when i was in high school I went to the senior prom while I was a junior and of course my own senior prom. I rather enjoyed them both, as i was with good friends both times and despite the food being less than stellar, the afterparty and events were awesome. Both proms were held in the Marriot here in NYC, they made a really big deal out of em, from the decorations to the music.

My junior year I went with a friend who asked me to go with her, so I was in a limo with pretty much all my friends from a year above me, minus one or two people i might not have known. The prom itself was pretty fun, lots of dancing, sucky food as I said but eh, we ended up eating afterwards anyway. There was a cruise around the city afterwards and we ended up going to a diner at around 6AM for late late dinner or early early breakfast.

My senior year I went with a girl I liked at the time (we are best friends currently) and that was fun as well because I was with all my friends from my year and my beautiful date ;P. Food was a little better this time around, we went to a comedy club afterwards, some bowling, and the same diner at around the same time as the previous year, lol. Things that happened next might not be appropriate to discuss here, but overall both of them were great, got lots of funny and memorable pictures, and both times the damn limo driver refused his tip. I mean hell, would YOU turn down a $300 tip? Oh well, guess it had to go into my pocket >.>

So yeah, i hear a lot from people about how prom was miserable for them or that they didn't even go. To each his own, but I'm quite glad that I was able to enjoy mine since I did go.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]I loved my senior prom. Mostly because I didn't have a date. I hate being tied to someone for the whole freakin' night. I was amzing though. I wore a white tux, with white everything...except for the corsage (sp?), which was a red rose. It was fun though, because I got to show that I'm a better dancer than the other people in my class, who were deemed "cool." I pwned them on the dancefloor. I showed up in a pizza delivery car. It was a good time.

During the afterprom, I got to see a hypnotist, who actually worked, because I know my best friend would not say "I'm gettin laid tonight" in front of his mom and the whole upper-class of the school. That was the best part of the whole ordeal.

I hated having a date the first year though. I brought a friend, and it ended up with her hanging out with her friend the whole night. Basically, she went to prom because she was a sophomore and she was asked. That kind of pissed me off.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Phenom][font=comic sans ms']I've always heard that you'll regret not going to your prom. I'm pretty sure almost everyone has heard that before. Well, I didn't go, and don't regret it at. I didn't participate in any of my high school events. Mainly because I didn't really care for the school. And at most of these events something always jumped off.[/font][/quote]

Right on. Same here. I don't regret not going to prom either. I actually went to a national competition in Chicago where I had an interesting experience.

The only thing I feel a little "regret" about is that I missed out on one experience. I'm one of the few people that didn't go to prom. But I don't think going to prom was worth not going to the competition.

[color=dimgray] I'm not going to prom this year, but next year it's for sure. If only I were an awesome clothes designer and could make my own dress... I already have in mind what my perfect choice would be. :)

But what makes gatherings like these fun for my are my friends. We know how to make everything funny, even if it is a lame dance. And at our school, all the after-parties are at individual peoples' houses, so you're with friends and people you know.

@ KW: The color of your dress is gorgeous![/color]

How did I know smexy Tiana was going to make a Prom thread? :rolleyes:

I did not go to prom. It is a waste of my time because I hate big parties like that, its a waste of my money because I would have a horrible time, and because I like to go against the flow.

That, and the demi-god that is Kevin was in agreement with me.

[size=1]Let me just say this for everyone...[/size] [b]PROMS ARE THE BEST![/b]

[size=1]I honestly loved my prom years. I feel it became almost an obsession however, since I became what I'm known around my area as [b]"The Prom Crasher."[/b] I got the name for the number of proms I went to. Where I live, we don't live in one huge city, but rather several cities in a general area.

It's a farming community, so most it is open countryside and you have about five other towns twenty minutes away from you at most. So it's not so hard to be known in every town. Over time, I was asked by several girls from other schools to go to Prom with them. Unfortunately, a lot of their proms were on the same night, so it was sort of that "first come, first serve" deal. Haha. However, it was lots of fun, so my friend Luke and I eventually started attempting to get into as many proms as we could. It was very much like the movie [i]Wedding Crashers[/i]. I tell you, I love Prom Season!

I've been to them all as well. I've been to proms on boats, in castles, in fancy restaurant/dance places... and all the food I get to eat there is to die for. Aside from Ithaca Prom 2006... they had some nasty burnt rolls that I ate anyways. But one thing is crucial if you ever become a Prom Crasher: know how to dance! I fancy myself a good dancer, especially when I was voted best dancer at my own school's senior prom. But it will definitely make the night more enjoyable if you can get out on the floor and bust a move without being self-conscious.

Having said that, I do actually have a Prom in two weeks to go to. Not my school again, because I'm graduated. Just a friend who needed a date and she asked me. This'll be my... [b]eighth prom[/b] or so in two years? I have no idea. I'm losing track. Haha.[/size]

[QUOTE=Dragon Warrior][size=1] But one thing is crucial if you ever become a Prom Crasher: know how to dance! I fancy myself a good dancer, especially when I was voted best dancer at my own school's senior prom. But it will definitely make the night more enjoyable if you can get out on the floor and bust a move without being self-conscious.
[/size][/QUOTE]

[font=tahoma]Dancing with yourself is part of knowing how to party ;P. Having a pretty girl rub on on ya is always nice, don't get me wrong, but ya can't limit fun to just one kind of brand. Hehe.[/font]

[size=1]Haha, I never said I danced alone, mate :] But if you've got some crazy moves, dancing alone can work too. I remember my school's senior prom, I brought a chair out into the middle of the dance floor and danced seductively on it. Haha, people actually shoved money down my tux. Then my buddies lifted me up in the chair over the crowd. That was such a great night. But I also danced with the ladies, like I said. I had a new girl for every slow dance :) That's how real Prom Crashers do it. Haha. Or something...[/size]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior][size=1]Haha, I never said I danced alone, mate :'] But if you've got some crazy moves, dancing alone can work too. I remember my school's senior prom, I brought a chair out into the middle of the dance floor and danced seductively on it. Haha, people actually shoved money down my tux. Then my buddies lifted me up in the chair over the crowd. That was such a great night. But I also danced with the ladies, like I said. I had a new girl for every slow dance :) That's how real Prom Crashers do it. Haha. Or something...[/size][/quote]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]Heck yes! Dancing is polygamous...pick someone new each time. Its like how when you go to a buffet, you try a little of everything. And dancing alone is good, because if you can dance well alone, you'll draw the ladies to you like nachos to cheese...which you want to watch out for, because the cheese will screw up your tux/dress good.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Farto the Magic][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]Its like how when you go to a buffet, you try a little of everything. [/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]

[font=tahoma]Girls and Food are all I need for a good time, lol. The girl aspect of my proms were definitly miles ahead of the food one however. Suppose I don't have a huge problem with that, :p[/font]

My prom's going to be on the 29th, but I am not going. I can think of 10 good reasons off the top of my head not to go:

1. Too expensive
2. Friends aren't going
3. Too expensive
4. No date
5. Too expensive
6. Can't dance
7. Too expensive
8. Hate dressing up
9. Too expensive
10. See the odd-numbered reasons

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][font=times]God, it's been bloody centuries since I've been to a prom. I've been to college dances though, but those mostly involved a boat, a lot of alcohol, and illegal substances.

I'll confess to wearing the same dress I wore to my Senior prom [five years ago], to the college dance I just went to.

Blue velvet, heavy beadwork up the front in an iridescent pattern, high heels that were lost sometime in the middle of the party, and a lot of nasty dancing. But that was mostly in high school. Me and two other girls. ....make the boys happy boys for the night.[/font][/COLOR]

First off, I have to say that Keyblade Wielder? Your dress is GORGEOUS! I luff it. :)

But anyway, I graduated high school last year, and my first-last-only prom was actually my post prom. Since I went to a tiny school, and there were only 59 of us seniors, we didn't have our own prom because that would've been really awkward since we all knew each other., the only reason we went to the school was just to take pictures. *shrug* But anyway, I got asked by one of my good guy friends (who was shorter than me, which was a silly issue for me at the time) and I said "Sure! Why not?" Now I know why not. heh. Well, my date's parents were VERY gracious and grilled prime ribs for all 10 of us (which I was late to because of my hair appointment, the only one I've ever had for any dance). I loved my dress, and I felt really pretty (and people complimented me on my make-up too, which I did myself). When we got to post prom, however, my date and my friend's dates were kind of "clingy." They followed us around pretty closely, when me and my friend only wanted to have fun. So...we kind of ditched them for a while. It was only for like 10 minutes, but I still feel kind of bad, but it was good to get them out of our hair for a little while.

All in all, it was kind of a bummer, but it was a fun time anyway. :)

*under the links are pictures of my dress*
[url]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/Minako_06/IMG_3952.jpg[/url]
[url]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/Minako_06/IMG_3953.jpg[/url]

I hope you have fun!

[SIZE=1]I went to prom, and it wasn't anything special. It kind of sucked.

I went because I didn't go to any school functions throughout high school, so why not go to prom? I never dress up like that either, so I wanted to do it once.

My prom was May 6th, 2005. :3 It was held somerwhere in Westlake, OH, I can't remember where exactly. My dress was light blue, with little flowers embroidered at the top, no shoulder straps. I still have it. My shoes were white.

I was asked by several people, who I turned down. So I went alone; to just hang out with friends. Well they had dates so that was a stupid idea. Also, it was freezing inside, and the food was disgusting. It was suppose to be chicken parmesean, and salad. Well there was something definetily wrong with the the salad. Some chocolate cake thing for desert. Random beverages you could get at the "bar" area.

But hey, I don't actually regret going. It didn't do anything for me though, lol.

Here is a picture of me at my prom, with a few people. I'm the one in the blue dress. I used to like this picture. Ha, now I think its ugly.

[COLOR=RED]>[/COLOR][URL=http://inkript.250free.com/PromMay6-05.jpg]SPX Prom[/URL][/SIZE][COLOR=RED]<[/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=crimson]I went to my girlfriend's prom yesterday and it was really enjoyable. Good music, good food, good drink, good times. Must have been at least a hundred people there. I danced with my girlfriend to some rap, some latino music and of course the slow dances.

Prior we went to a nice Japanese restaurant where like 17 people showed up in our 'group' and it was just constant laughter, lol.

Here's a picture of how I looked but my girlfriend steals the show: [url=http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/1784/img0389uw5.jpg]Pic[/url][/color]

[color=#9933ff]Your tie matches her dress! Cool. You look handsome, but she does look gorgeous. Actually, you both look really good together. ^^;

Prom is, officially, 1 month from now (@_@) dear god, and I don't even have a dress. Hoooboy. I'm making my dress this year, but... x_x *has not had time to work on it* If I can get this stuff together in the next couple weeks, I'm really going to have to go dress shopping.

What I've heard about prom is what you make of it. Who you're going with as a group (catty bitches or cool cats?), what you're planning to do afterward (get plastered [at the Jersey shore 'round here], or go to a comedy club in NYC?).

While we're still scrambling to find a couple more people to fill our table (and saying it can't be this or that person because they're X and Y's ex-b/fs, and it can't be this person because Z hates her), I like the group we're going with so far. And we're going into NYC afterward I think (?). I can't wait for it all.

P.S.: KW - your dress is AMAZING! I hope your prom goes well.[/color]

My junior prom sucked. Half of the night I spent in the hospital cause my date forgot her inhaler at home. She had an asthma attack at the prom and yeah, my entire night was ruined...not to mention she was pissed that MY best friend wasn't there to support her even though I was right beside her the whole time I could be. -_-

I just recently went to prom with my girlfriend now. She's a junior in high school and I went with her. It was very boring...-_- She didn't want me to go to after prom because she wanted to spend that time with her friends, yet we spend almost the entire prom chatting with her friends. That kind of saddened me, and lately I've been having thoughts of why she's been acting differently, but thats a different subject.

Both proms sucked huge arse, and I hope if I go to another one, its MUCH better.