OtakuBoards

Favorite Book When You were Young

Aberinkula

[COLOR="Navy"][B]What was your favorite book as a child? It can even be a few years ago for those members like I, who are 15 years old.[/B]

Well for me, I loved the book [u]The Day my Butt Went Psycho[/u] by Andy Griffith. I loved this book because of it's butt-theme. The book was rated G for gross and gave explicit warnings to parents. parents aren't allowed to read this book! Or it's sequel.

The book was about Zach, his butt was rouge and wanted to take over the earth. While his parents were going around the world doing orchestra, he went and saved the planet from a buttocylypse.

[B]So what was your favorite book when you were young? it can be about anything. As long as it was a book![/B][/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Lime"]My favorite book when I was young was a book called "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. I liked it because at the time my I was watching the first episodes of Fullmetal Alcemist and I was interested in real life alchemists. But the book was fictional, so it gave me no real referance to the real alchemists. But the book was realy good and pretty deep, but I didnt understand what happened at the end. To this day i keep reading that part over and it still confuses me.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][B]Superfudge[/B] By Judy Blume, I just love Peter's younger brother Farley Drexel, known as Fudge. It's wonderfully funny how they handle different things that happen and how things change in their lives. :catgirl:

Another one of my favorites is [B]The forgotten Door[/B] by Alexander Key. As one reviewer at Amazon put it:

[INDENT] it is about a young boy from the future who accidentally falls through a "Forgotten Door" into the past. This future he comes from is one where the inhabitants are much stronger, faster, smarter, and more agile than the people who's time he falls into, and crime, famine, etc. have been done away with. The book mainly deals with the young boy's experiences in a past where flaws abound, but where there is also a loving couple who takes him in and, in an exciting adventure, tries to help him make his way back home.[/INDENT]

Those two books were among my favorite, that is until I discovered Terry Brooks and other fantasy writers with Mercedes Lackey being my current favorite since I love her Valdamer series books. ^_^[/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="goldenrod"]Another one of my favorites is [B]The forgotten Door[/B] by Alexander Key.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial]:wigout: [I]Oh my gosh, I have that book too!!

*cough*[/I]

Wow. And here I thought that that was just another fell-between-the-cracks book that no one else knew about. This is cool.

I don't recall having a single favorite, [I]per sé[/I]. I did enjoy just perusing the available selections in the library, though, and I think I'd read almost all of those adolescent mystery-solving deals. You know, The Bobbsey Twins, The Hardy Boys....

>_>

<_<

[SIZE="1"]...Nancy Drew....[/SIZE][/FONT]

My favorite books were all the books in Louis Sachar's [i]Wayside School[/i] series... I'd say I must've read each book in the series at least 20-25 times each. Hell, I even read the [i]Sideways Arithmetic[/i] books multiple times, and I hated math! I'd spend a lot of time reading them and daydreaming about going to Wayside School instead of my boring ass elementary school. None of [i]our[/i] buildings were more than one story. :(

I was also obsessed with the Encyclopedia Brown books and the Clue books. Mystery-solving was (and is) fun.

[size=1][b]The Thief Lord[/b] by Cornelia Funke. All my life, I have been fascinated by thieves... and this book really made me want to visit Venice and [i]steal something[/i]. I also thought it was cool how all those orphans lived in an abandoned theater... and Scipio just sounded plain sexy. (I still have fantasies that Prosper and Scipio got it on. ;))

The first book of [b]The Boxcar Children[/b] was really good, I thought. I mean, they lived in a boxcar! After that one, it got lame though. They (of course) got taken in by some old rich dude, and solved mysteries in their free time.

Then [b]Harry Potter[/b], but I'm still into that, so it doesn't count.[/size]

[size=1][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Well, when you say young...how young exactly?

I mean, I know that I "read" a book before I learned how to read...just as I was learning how to speak English, lol. Do you guys remember that book [U]Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?[/U] My parents would read it to me, and I just memorized the words, and would "read" it by myself (just repeat the same words over and over agian...after all, only the next animal changes). Of course, sometimes I'd forget what would come next, so I'd have to sneak a look at the next animal so I could say it right. I don't remember any of this (I only remember liking the book); I saw it all on a video my mom recorded of it. Pretty fun stuff... ^_^;;
[quote name='Allamorph']I think I'd read almost all of those adolescent mystery-solving deals. You know, The Bobbsey Twins, The Hardy Boys....[/quote]I so remember all of those! But I remember that I'd read [B]Nancy Drew[/B] instead because being a girl was [i]so[/i] much cooler... ^_~
[quote name='Premonition']his butt was rouge and wanted to take over the earth. While his parents were going around the world doing orchestra, he went and saved the planet from a buttocylypse.[/quote]Wow, this reminds me so much of [B]Captain Underpants[/B]... My little brother used to love those. I don't understand haha.

I totally agree about [B]The Boxcar Children[/B]! The first one was so awesome, and then...whatever. Not fun anymore when you don't actually live in the boxcar. [B]The Thief Lord[/B] disappointed me though. Don't quite remember why, but I didn't really like it.

[/COLOR][/size]

I just used to read the Famous Five books by Enid Blyton religiously. I loved the adventures in them, I suppose. All the stories were pretty much the same, smugglers and the like. There was always a picnic and ginger beer, "lashings" of the stuff if I remember rightly lol. Maybe I liked the repeating themes. They are so outdated now, I am not sure if I want to read one again.

When I was a little bit older than my Famous Five addiction, I also read some of the Goosebumps series by R.L... Stein? Stein I think. So crappy when I look back, but I scared easily back then. Why I read them I'll never know. I guess for the adventures in them, again, but also with the added fun of scaring myself.

[quote name='Break']Goosebumps series by R.L... Stein? Stein I think.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"]I remember those! My favorite was the one where the kids all turned into dogs. I don't even remember why I liked it right now, but I know I did. I was also fond of their choose-your-own-adventure books, too.

In middle school I really loved [B]Midnight Magic[/B] by Avi. There was also a book called the [B]Monsters of Morley Manor[/B], but I don't remember who wrote that one. (Might've been Avi, too, but I have no clue).

In elementary school, everyone was into [B]I Spy[/B] books. The library had a bazillion different versions of them, and half the time I went to check one out they'd be all gone. [B]Captain Underpants[/B] was cool then, too.

As for when I was super young, I really enjoyed [B]Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs[/B], [B]Bamboozled[/B], and the [B]Stinky Cheese Man[/B]. I have a vague recollection of loving [B]Grimm's Fairy Tales[/B], too, and it definitely seems like something I would've liked. I still do, of course.[/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]I've had two favorites books probably so far in my life. Even though one of them I still love. Between ages 2-7, it was [B]Little Duck and the New Baby[/B]. About a cute little boy duck who's baby sister is born, and when his grandpa comes to visit, thinks he's forgotten all about him because of the baby. So cute. I would ask my daddy to read it to me almost every night.

Ages 11-15, [B]There's a Dragon In My Backpack[/B]. Adorable book about a boy about to start kindergar(t/d)en but he couldn't go since his best friend, Bumps the Dragon, was afraid to go. Then that night his father read them their favorite story about a knight and a dragon who went to kindergar(t/d)en because of a mishap at the castle with the children. It's a fun book. The beginning of children fantasy reads.

I'm horrible at looking up authors. I never do. I could go now but I don't feel like it. There is a little space there between ages but I can't remember the name of the series I read in elementary school. Something about a young boy detective who solved simple cases with his dog. I remember a girl with a lot of cats...Big Paws, etc.[/SIZE]

Guest The Blue Jihad
Are you people fucking kidding me? All these lame-ass Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and Goosebumps yet...

...no [B][I]Where The Wild Things Are[/I][/B]???

...I'm very, very disappointed in each and every one of you. Shin gets double the negative childhood book street cred. Because he of all people should know better.

[QUOTE=The Blue Jihad]Are you people fucking kidding me? All these lame-ass Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and Goosebumps yet...

...no [B][I]Where The Wild Things Are[/I][/B]???[/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial]I think I've read it once or twice, but that's about it. I lost interest in that style around the time I became interested in Conan Doyle and Fleming (which was around second grade or so).

Besides, [I][U]Where the Wild Things Are[/U][/I] required nothing mentally on my part. ;)[/FONT]

[quote name='The Blue Jihad']...no [B][I]Where The Wild Things Are[/I][/B]???[/QUOTE]Never heard of it. :p

As for actual books... I liked the boxcar children as well as the forgotten door. [[SIZE="1"]yes, people besides you know of this book Allamorph[/SIZE]] But in the end I was never much of a bookworm and rarely read anything.

And I have to agree, once those boxcar children were no longer living in one, it sort of took the fun out of it. Meh.

Guest The Blue Jihad
[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Besides, [I][U]Where the Wild Things Are[/U][/I] required nothing mentally on my part. ;)[/FONT][/quote]

...as if Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, or Goosebumps required much brainpower? lol

[SIZE="1"]Reading was definitely my favourite pastime when I was a kid, I'd easily go through a few books in a weekend if the mood took me. The earliest book series, if you could call them books, I got into were the [B]Mr. Men[/B] books by Roger Hargreaves, which I can still read with a smile to this day. Enid Blyton was another early one, and I remember reading the [b]Famous Five[/b] and [b]The Wishing Chair[/b] series.

I read a fair portion of the [b]Goosebumps[/b] series as well, primarily the Monster Blood ones. I also went through probably 90% of the Bantam era [b]Star Wars[/b] novels at different stages, most of which I can't seem to find anywhere except eBay.[/SIZE]

[quote name='The Blue Jihad']...as if Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, or Goosebumps required much brainpower? lol[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Hey, something's better than nothing, eh? (^_^) If nothing else, they were at least decent prep-work for Holmes. Encyclopedia Brown was also pretty good; I can't believe I left Sobol out.

Ah, wait! How can we be forgetting Dr. Seuss?![/FONT]

Alice...now and forever Alice was my favorite book when I was young. It inspired me to fracture reality somewhere between my eyes and my brain and now whenever I look at a particular tree at night it reminds me of an insectoid robot. Thank you Alice.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PrincesssJunkie
[CENTER][B]mine has to have been the little prince. [/B]
[B]sheer genius i tell you.[/B]
[B]it's still my all time favorite to this day.[/B][/CENTER]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]My favorite book has to be...

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Soup-Rice-Book-Months/dp/006443253X"]Chicken Soup With Rice![/URL]

It is a book of months. I remember as if it were yesterday:

[QUOTE]In January
it's so nice
while sipping
on sliding ice
to sip hot chicken soup
with rice
sipping once
sipping twice
sipping chicken soup
with rice.[/QUOTE]

I used to know the book by heart for all 12 months. I think I still have it somewhere in my mom's library.[/COLOR]

• 2 months later...
took me a while to choose favorites. I've always loved books. :animesmil in elementary school, it was The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. in junior high, it was Colors in the Dreamweaver's Loom, I forget who wrote that. and in high school, it was whatever I actually had time for, usually just my English textbooks. I really enjoyed Shakespeare, and Poe.