OtakuBoards

OtakuBoards Hall of Fame '07

Ellerby

[SIZE="1"][center][b]2007[/center][/B][/SIZE][center][img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1811/logohallofcopyjo6.jpg[/img][/center]
[INDENT]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Welcome, one and all, to The OtakuBoards Hall of Fame! A member appreciation event to be held once a year. Basically, we're looking for [b]five[/b] Members that you think show what OtakuBoards is all about.

You get one post, and one post [i]only[/i], to choose [b]one[/b] Member and write why you think they should be in The OtakuBoards Hall of Fame and a large panel of judges (all OB Members themselves) will choose 5 members from the different nominations to go into this years Hall of Fame.

Please remember that your nomination post can be as long or as short as you want but you're trying to convince the judges why this person deserves to be in the first ever OtakuBoards Hall of Fame. Also, [B](this is very important)[/B] you can only vote for Members. [b]No staff allowed ([i]although staff are welcome to vote aswell[/i])[/b]. Banned/Retired Members are welcome.

[center][b][color=red]Kudos to Charles for the original idea.[/color][/b][/center][/FONT][/INDENT]

I vote for [b]Shy[/b].

Shy has made countless contributions not only to OtakuBoards but to the network in general.

But, since this is the OtakuBoards Hall of Fame, I'll say that over the years he's been one of the more well-rounded members on the site. He's served on the staff for years, he's made events, written fantastic stories, and generated some of the most interesting roleplaying games the boards have seen. I think that when there's a discussion of what long-time OtakuBoards members should aspire to be they should always talk about Charles. But since staff are not eligable, in this case, they should talk about Shy.

[SIZE="1"]I also nominate [B]Shy[/b] for much of the same reasons Charles has already offered.

Josh, for those of you who don't understand why I'm giving him this vote, and if you don't then you obviously suck :p, and should go to Otakupedia right now and educate yourself, has been one of the finest members this site has ever had. Despite holding several senior staff positions, Josh was always approachable and more than willing to lend a helping hand in whatever manner he could, I know this first hand as certainly I wouldn't be the writer I am today without his help.

Professionally Josh has created some of OtakuBoards most memorable events, from introducing and overseeing the [B]Nifty Fifty[/B] to [b]The Legionnaires[/b], a mass RPG who's quality and scope has yet to be equalled and was for it's time and immensely audacious project, which was a lot of fun to participate in. Nowadays, despite standing down and assuming a role of less responsibility on the board, Josh is definitely someone that new members should aspire to be like.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I also nominate Shy. Not only is he a hard worker and his contributions to this site and to many others are endless. He takes care of every one and everything. So, I nominate Shy, he is one special guy.[/COLOR]

[size=1]I nominate [b]ChibiHorsewoman[/b].

ChibiHorsewoman is infamous for her light-hearted, and often bizarre threads in Otaku Lounge. Love them or hate them her frequent posts and positive attitude have been a breath of fresh air to a community that takes itself way too seriously. If it weren't for CHW I fear every thread in the Lounge would be about gay marriage, abortion, drug abuse, and religion.

I don't think these awards ceremonies should be reserved just for Oldies (although CHW has been on the site for years.) As proud as I am of my own contributions to the site, I feel that it's active and friendly members like her who truly make a difference to OtakuBoards.

-Shy[/size]

[size=1]I was about to vote for BabyGirl for a bit too obvious reasons, but I decided that someone else is even more [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=2]what OtakuBoards is all about[/size][/font].

[b]Juuthena[/b] gets my vote. She has taken part in the chaos in the former Newbie Lounge, the chaos in the chatroom (... she was a mod there, though), she was in about everyone's signature (your friends list was socially inacceptable without Juujuu's name in it), plus she has the great O[b]B[/b] ability to post a rather large amount of posts on one day while maintaining quality in each post. [i]And[/i] she's an artist.

There are more arguments, but well... she left for a bit too long for me too remember everything correctly. ;( Juuthena is soooo Otaku[b]Boards[/b].[/size]

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]I nominate [b]ChibiHorsewoman[/b].

ChibiHorsewoman is infamous for her light-hearted, and often bizarre threads in Otaku Lounge. Love them or hate them her frequent posts and positive attitude have been a breath of fresh air to a community that takes itself way too seriously. If it weren't for CHW I fear every thread in the Lounge would be about gay marriage, abortion, drug abuse, and religion.-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]

It's cool to see some actual participation in this thing since it could be really nice for the community (although many don't seem to care).

To the point, I have to agree with this nomination. Chibihorsewoman is sort of a dark horse in OtakuBoards history. As I said previously elsewhere, many people complain about the topics in Otaku Lounge but CHW, like her threads or not, has always been there at least attempting to generate discussion. She never really complains or makes a fuss--she just keeps making her threads and posting peacefully, which I think is a good quality.

It could be the soda talking, but I would even go so far as to say that she's been one of the more valuable members of OL in the past few years.

[quote name='Charles']Chibihorsewoman is sort of a dark horse in OtakuBoards history.[/QUOTE]
[font=Arial]Haha. Pun intended, amirite?

I nominate [b]Boo[/b].

His quirky humor, lighthearted fun, and magnetic personality make him a pleasure to talk to. Boo's high quality contributions to the Art Studio have their own distinctive style, and he's done a huge deal to enrich the activity there in the past. He's stuck around through thick and thin, given us all back-handed compliments (but you gotta love 'em) and smacked common sense into us during debates. This is a man who will be spoken of for ages and ages hence.[/font]

[COLOR="Indigo"]Well I nominate [B]Aaryanna_Mom[/B] because as Des put it when she was nominated for the Nifty Fifty:

[INDENT]As cool as it is just to have a member?s mother join OtakuBoards and become an active poster, Aaryanna_Mom also adds new insight or a new point of view to many threads she posts in. It?s apparent that she can see more than one side of an issue, and though she speaks her mind and stands behind her beliefs, she always argues in a non-abrasive way. Even if you don?t agree with her, it?s hard not to like her.[/INDENT]

And as I've observed:

She brings a certain amount of calm to otherwise heated debates and as other members have observed: [quote name='White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]In all honesty, I think that almost all the teenagers (and some others) on OtakuBoards think of you as [i]the[/i] OB Mom. I know that whenever I see you've posted in a thread I'll be posting in, I clean up my post a little bit just because it feels right. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE] [QUOTE=John']Having a mod's mom posting on the boards is probably the most entertaining thing that's happened here in years. XD[/quote]Just her presence is enough to encourage better posting while being entertaining at the same time. Along with her candid opinion on subjects that she disagrees with you on and how she does so with a dash of motherly love.

So she's definitely one of those members that contributes to OtakuBoards in a meaningfully way. With her different threads on improvements and even her recent venture into a newspaper for the Boards. Proving that one doesn't have to be around for years to make a difference. [/COLOR]

If this were a MyOtaku hall of fame, I'd have a pretty hard time deciding who to nominate, what with all the awesome people who I got to know there. As it is, I can pick from a much smaller pool of people I'd consider outstanding on OB (EDIT: not to say people on OB aren't as good as those on myO, lol) and say [B]PoisonTongue[/B] (among many other aliases). Love him or hate him, Alex had some pretty great debate threads with people such as Drix D'Zanth, and as far as I can tell, they basically set the format for pompous, insulting, tl;dr debates on OtakuBoards. And that's one part of the boards that just hasn't been nearly as fun or interesting (or even as common) since his account was banned.

[COLOR="Navy"]I nominate [B]200DigitalBoy.[/B]

Besides being friends and all, he's a pretty cool kid. DB released some really good RPGs recently. The Ponopticon, Esper Jam! and now Shiniami Dance. They are really entertaining and I've signed up for all three of them.

Whether it's in the Music, Movies and TV forum or the otaku lounge, DB posts some very interesting sories and provides us with his views, wrong or right. He's given us plenty of info on the latest anime as well.

[B]2007DigitalBoy[/B] will be rememebered. He contributes to OB, and he's a fun guy. Like him or hate him, DB is what OB is all about.[/COLOR]

[color=darkred]I also nominate 2007DigitalBoy. There are a lot of members on these boards who are so serious when posting in discussions that it's depressing, and a lot of the time this stops me from particpating in some threads, but 2007DB is the contrary because of his general light-heartedness and how he can obviously take a joke without getting all personal about it. Plus, he has posted in the majority of threads recently, so being active and cool is, well, super cool. :cool:

I still hate your dark orange font though. :cussing: [/color]

[quote name='Bombu'][color=darkred]I also nominate 2007DigitalBoy. There are a lot of members on these boards who are so serious when posting in discussions that it's depressing, and a lot of the time this stops me from particpating in some threads, but 2007DB is the contrary because of his general light-heartedness and how he can obviously take a joke without getting all personal about it. Plus, he has posted in the majority of threads recently, so being active and cool is, well, super cool. :cool:

I still hate your dark orange font though. :cussing: [/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]:animeblus I feel... so beautiful!!!

Well, this is a very hard decision for me. Thre are a few good choices I have in mind, but they are mods, an dtherefor out of the picture. While nominating a person who's done a lot in the past might be fine, I don't like the idea. If we're talking about someone who embodies the very heart of otakuboards, it can't be someone who is no longer a major part of it. The OB I live in is not only made up of it's past, but of it's here and now, and that's what's most important.

When I try to think of nominations, i feel a bit biased, as I would like to nominate someone who I enjoy the presence of, but I want to look past that and pick the one person who i believe is the biggest part of OB right now without being a mod.

So, of course, I nominate [B]2007DigitalBoy[/B]. After all, he posts in every section (in almost every thread!) and he knows when it's appropriate to post intelligently or lightheartedly, with a monumental post or a short, sweet one. He can be serious, or he can be silly, depending on the situation, and always keeps things fun. He has helped inject life into many places on the OB. Wether it's reviewing stories that no one else posts on, getting lots of people hooked on various anime, or causing controversy in the music section, he's always there to keep things going and keep the party alive.

DB takes pride in his place on OB which he calls his 'home away from home'. With his fun rp and revolutionary underground threads, his interest in all things Otakuboards, contributions to the sites activities such as the graphics worm and otakupedia, and much more, one cannot doubt that even if he is completely full of himself, he is a big part of otakuboards.

Besides, without him, who will keep the rats at bay XDDD :p

[SIZE="1"](you may all be disgusted with me now XD)[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Thre are a few good choices I have in mind, but they are mods, and therefor out of the picture. While nominating a person who's done a lot in the past might be fine, I don't like the idea. If we're talking about someone who embodies the very heart of otakuboards, it can't be someone who is no longer a major part of it. The OB I live in is not only made up of it's past, but of it's here and now, and that's what's most important.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Yeah, a couple I would nominate are mods, so putting that aside and the fact that I agree with nominating more than just people who have been around for a while... I second the nomination for[B] Aaryanna_Mom[/B]. And for pretty much the same reasons that indifference already mentioned.

She's not as active as you DB, but when she is you can't help but take notice since she's thoughtful and tries her best to be none abrasive and yet still stick with what she truly thinks. I can't imagine OB without her, she's like the mother of the boards. And she shows it by making suggestions and being part of things like the new OB paper as well as commenting and rping. :catgirl:

Guest The Blue Jihad
Oh, PT is still around. He's just become blue and volatile.

I gotta start the oldies circle-jerk [strike]with [B]Charles[/B][/strike], even though these days I'm pretty sure he's been hitting the booze and drugs to the extent that he's gone utterly insane.

Fock Charles. See my most recent reply later in this thread.

[font=arial][size=1]I'm surprised no one's mentioned Tony yet.

[b]Semjaza[/b] is one of the few members who has stuck around since pretty much the beginning. He's succumbed to the desire to leave that everyone here has undoubtedly faced several times, but he always returns rather quickly. He served on the staff and cleaned up some nasty stuff that proves he's a braver man than most, as well as created the most successful OB spin-off (term used lightly), Group Sounds.

Of course, all of this stuff doesn't necessarily make a good member. What does is his ability to bring reason to any thread spiraling out of control. He's well-informed and calm, and when he speaks his mind, people know to listen and trust him. When something requires honesty, he has a total no-******** attitude. He can also be funny without even trying, and he respected me thinking that I was a new member.

It's pretty safe to say that Tony's existence here has definitely improved OB in some way.[/font][/size]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Well, we only have one post to make this work so....I went over everybody, and I love you all aha, even the ones I quarrel with (you bastards), I have to pick somebody who absolutely deserves it.

[B]Nerdsy[/B]. Now, I have to...[I]persuade [/I]you guys to make in be in the hall of fame... Why should I? You know he's awesome. In fact, when I asked him what I should say for him in this thread, he said "Tell them how awesome I am. That should work."

How can you not pick the guy? He's been here forever, for God's sake. He's a wrinkled old poster. Nah, he's sexy as hell.

Anything else? Duh. He's smart when it comes to stuff that [I]matters[/I] in life, like Power Rangers, or Gargoyles, or Batman or anything. Absolutely. He's a fine poster of the OB, and I'm sure everybody looks up to him, because if you don't look up to a member of the Triad, you're a bigger loser than I am.

That's pretty big.

So, there you have it. Pick him, or [B][I]die[/I][/B].

PS- Sorry I didn't nominate you 2007DB, Goodbye,Face, KW, DW, Laura, Shy, Prem, and everybody else. Don't hate me for it :3.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I'm nominating [b]PoisonTongue[/b], better known these days as [b]The Blue Jihad.[/b]

I've always enjoyed reading Alex's opinions and theories, they are some of the more well-written on OB. Wether he is portraying the Empire of Star Wars as the force of good, or putting forward connections linking The Matrix's Agent Smith to Captain Ahab from Moby Dick, Alex makes his points convcincinlgy, and interesting at the same time.

Alex is also brutally honest. He will tell you, straight up, what his opinion on something or someone is, and he doesn't mince words or sugar-coat his opinion at all.

I admire that.

[quote name='The Blue Jihad']Oh, PT is still around. He's just become blue and volatile.[/quote]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
That's because every time I try to ban you, you keep coming back to haunt me.

Don't worry, I know it's because you love it when we fight, darling. ;)

Personally, my vote goes to [B]Mist. [/B]I first met Mist in my first ever post for my first-ever sign up to an RPG, and my first-ever rejection to the same RPG. I was a newbie, confused by the system, not a very good writer and I'd never applied for one before, and had gotten quite bitter by being rejected. And Mist definately whipped me into shape.

So when I think about OB and the people in it, Mist comes to mind for several reasons. When I first arrived, she was an established member -- one of the people you'd look up to -- however she was a very open person and very easy to talk to. There was no sense of awe around her, more, a knowledge that she truely loved OB and what it meant to her.

Furthermore, she was a regular inhabitant of The Adventure Arena [or its previous incarnations], particularly the Sparring Arena. She was one of the truely gifted sparrers, and she, along with [B]Juuthena[/B] were the creators of one of the only spars -- one of the great pieces of writing -- that has stayed with me all this time. Considering the sheer [I]volume[/I] of writing I have read in my time here, this alone should qualify her. The spar itself was based in a candy shop, and not only did they create fantastic fight moves, they also had great ways of utilising their surrounds [for instance, the creative use of Gumballs].

And while she may not be around anymore, Mist's spirit and her example, and the way she truely enjoyed OB so much was definately what made me want to a) be a good member and b) is part of what has made me stay for so long, because it reflects something inside me.

And while this vote isn't short and snappy or witty, which I normally try to make my votes [because I dislike being overly sentimental], I am being honest, and I think she deserves a place in the hall of fame.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[font="trebuchet ms"] I want to nominate [b]Juuthena[/b], simply because of her quality of posting, as well as how well-liked and remembered she was. I don't think she was a ever a staff member, but she was probably more popular than any of the mods at that time. Mostly I just remember her being super nice to everyone and having a great post quality, and the fact that people liked her just because of her, and not her position.[/font]

Guest The Blue Jihad
[quote name='Lady Asphyxia'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
That's because every time I try to ban you, you keep coming back to haunt me.

Don't worry, I know it's because you love it when we fight, darling. ;)[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

And Lady A loves it, too, which is why I've got to send a bit of a three-knuckle shuffle in her direction. We both know she'd enjoy a three-knuckle shuffle from me. :smooch:

Lady A nominated.

• 1 month later...
No, I am not doing this.

Never.

I'd have to be crazy.

Fine... ugh, 2007digitalboy, you have my vote. You're funny, you adapt well, you are a major otaku and after all, this is OTAKUboards. It just kinda makes sense. Besides, in doing this I am assured your vote for Supreme Overlord of Everything, right? Just do me a favor.

If you post in the new Motivational Poster thread, keep your Yuri away from it. I pity the foo' who doesn't heed this warning. :mrt:

EDIT: Thanks to the fact that he's already been nominated, I pull my nomination for DB in favor of someone who shows the best of our witty little minds. Someone who was unjustly banned after 2 posts. One who personifies all of us in one little word:

Miaow.

That's right. Naps the Cat. If nothing else, he was the most memorable poster of the year. I think he deserves a nomination.