OtakuBoards

What Are You Playing?

.:[ Revy ]:.

Having finished Togainu no Chi, I'm now playing the newest game from Nitro+ Chiral, [b]Lamento - Beyond the Void[/b]. It's waaaay slower going than Togainu no Chi, since it's not compatible with the Anime Game Text Hooker. So I've been getting real friendly with my kanji dictionary and focusing on the journey rather than the destination, etc.

That said, I'm really thrilled & excited to be working my way through Lamento. The world is fascinating, and it's visually a lot more sophisticated and dynamic than Togainu no Chi. I can't wait to see what happens next. It's also kind of exciting to be playing it blind (whereas I picked my first Togainu route randomly, but played the others with a capture guide).

Next in line (albeit far down the road!) are two Nitro+ hetero eroge, [b]Saya no Uta[/b] (suspense/horror) and [b]Jingai Makyo[/b] (an "outsider" game).

~Dagger~

Currently back to playing [B]Dragon Quest VIII[/B] thought I'd go back to playing that since I never finished it...and started again ages ago since I gimped my characters with skill point distribution. Sadly I haven't even finished the monastery area. Also still playing [B]Final Fantasy XII[/B] and [B]Shadow Hearts: From the New World[/B]. [B]Rogue Galaxy[/B] comes out in Aus tomorrow so that's going to be very high on my currently playing list when I purchase it.

[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="1"]In the past two days I've been concentrating a lot on [b]Final Fantasy III DS[/b]. I started it quite a while ago but I didn't get very far before forgetting about it. I have some free time at the moment so I've been trying to work on it more, I'm currently headed to Goldor's mansion.

I think it's a pretty good game, reverting to the old system of Job classes is good and bad because of diversity and just annoyance of leveling new jobs. The one thing that really bugs me about it is you can only save on the World Map, so if you fight a boss at the end of a dungeon and die, you have to do it all again, including collecting the items along the way.

And I still haven't finished the other games I listed earlier. >.>[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Navy"]So I've beaten [i]Ninja Gaiden[/i], and I'm playing it again because I missed a few scarabs. I use to say it's my favorite game, but that's change since the camera prevents it from being my top favorite. (Now I don't have a top favorite anymore.)

But the main game I've been playing lately is [b]Shenmue 2[/b]. I've always had camera issues with it, but I still like it. I'm currently working to get $500 to meet Ren. One thing I don't like about this game is that Ryo's character has been dumbed down. In the 1st Shenmue he had common sense. In this one it's like common sense doesn't even exist. I won't go into details about it at the moment though. :)

Voice acting is also an issue, but they've always had some bad voice actors.

Anyways, I'm planning on buying King of Fighters 02/03 and Guilty Gear next. I need some fighting games, and so I thought I'd get a bit nostalgic, and go back to the good ol 2D fighting games. It's too bad all the Capcom vs Marvel/SNK games are so expensive.[/COLOR]

I just bought [B]Ace Combat 5[/B] for my bday. (yah..I know its pretty old, but so what?) Me and my roomie wanted to get a jet/dog fighting game..so I gave in and got it.
To my surprise its actually pretty damn fun, especially when the missions start getting more elaborate.

My only problem is that I keep screwing up on the stupid Space Facility mission with all the stupid little tanks and missles flying in.
Jeez....why so many? :D

[quote name='Odin M Yggdrasi'][B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]FlyFF.

It isn't that bad, though it really helps to have friends in-game. Version 9 made a mess of it though, and a lot of people quit.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkred]In future can you please elaborate more in your posts. For example, explain why the game was a mess in Version 9... you know, that kind of stuff. You're more likely to get a response to your post this way. Thanks.[/color]

[color=#606060]At the moment I am just playing two games: Bioshock and Super Paper Mario.

Bioshock continues to be amazing. And Super Paper Mario is awesome; I actually prefer it to the regular Paper Mario games. It still manages to have a story and lots of puzzles...but I prefer the platformer-style gameplay. So I'm really hoping that this becomes an ongoing series for Nintendo.

It's the first Wii game I've played in ages and it's the first "full" game (other than Twilight Princess) that I'm really finding to be worth the effort.

Now I just have to wait for Super Mario Galaxy...that'll be a tough wait.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Gamecube:
[B]RE4[/B]--I've been playing this game since I was 16...I am now 18...I even had to get my sister to buy it for me. BUT, hopefully will finish it by next year. It's still really fun, and I finally made it to the second disk last December.

Nintendo DS:
[B]Trauma Centre[/B]; I love this game!!! It almost made me wanna become a surgeon except for the fact that I'd probably be more of a harm to people in real life...I got stuck in it, with the stupid Tetri, so I took a break from it. I picked it up in August, and I finally got passed it! Now, I'm stuck again...

Wii:
[B]Trauma Centre; Second Opinion[/B]-- Ok, I can't get enough of Derek Stiles. But, I can't play it right now because it's back at home. It's probably a good thing, because then I'd have a reason not to study.:p[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="SlateGray"][SIZE="1"]Stupid, retarded, no-good Square-Enix! Why do you make me like your games? I try and I try to hate you and I just can't.

I'm playing Final Fantasy 12.

I got past all the bullspit and actually got some characters (And further into the story) and it turns out that the game isn't such a bore after all.

The License Board is pretty much an MMO made single player. It gives me a reason to go out and just wail on weak enemies just for that one point towards the 25 points I need for a License to use that new, shiny bangle or that keen looking longsword.

The story is, to me, engaging. I'm gonna go ahead and say I dislike character development in RPGs more than anything. Call me crazy but I'd rather there be a huge overlaying storyline to consider than if Vaan and Ashe are gonna pork. I don't mind Balthier being Balthier the whole game and I don't mind Basch staying emo the whole time just as long as there is not crying over nothing and yelling for the sake of yelling.

I guess the battle-system is alright after getting used to it. It's really hands-free but it makes do. The gambits make everything 10x easier or 10x harder if you don't have them set-up correctly. Changing the flow of battle to Active rather than Wait also pushes things along at a quicker pace and makes up for the 'slowness' I hated it for to begin with.

All in all the game surprised me after I FINALLY gave it chance.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1] I'm almost done with [B][U] Skate.[/B][/U] [only three more film missions and I'm done!] and I'm working to get the armour premutations in [B][U] Halo 3[/B][/U] and I have to finish the campaign on my account, cos I had accidentally finished the game on my friend's account. [the disadvantage of having friends who dont have a 360]

I'm also working through [B][U] BioShock[/B][/U] it's getting harder now, cos I keep thinking too fast and charge into a firefight without processing my enviroment around me. -____-'

- Freeman.[/SIZE]

Guest Sakurazukamori
I was playing [B]Halo 3[/B] for quite a while, but now its less: one, it felt like the second game but with more extras and two, I can say it was fun becuase I can play with my buds. Yet: Im still sticking with [B]Gears of War[/B], which to me, I can play it so many times and never get bored (people can disagree with me), I love the story mode the most in Gears.[B] Bioshock[/B] is a great game for non online story mode. I enjoy the weapons I get in this game and I love the difficulty in some parts.

Right now I am reserving games right now and I am saving money so I can get [B]Twilight Princess[/B] and will get [B]Phantom Hourglass[/B] this week. Im a Zelda Fan-Girl ^_~!

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=gray]Right now I'm currently playing Suikoden Tactics for the PS2, although I'm hoping that the Allmighty Game Gods will grace me and send forth a PSP and Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions to my doorstep this saturday (it's my birthday). But since I doubt that will hard earned cash might just have to do, we'll see after I pay the bills......[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Right now I'm currently playing [B]F.E.A.R.:Extraction Point[/B]. I loved the visceral kills in this game and the AI is simply some of the best AI you will find in a FPS...sorry Halo people. Plus the story and the ambiance created by the game is just something that has to be experienced to believed. Play this game with the lights turned off and with the volume turned all the way up on your headphones. Player beware, you're in for a scare.

Plus I can't wait for [B]Project Origin[/B], the spiritual sequal to FEAR in every thing but name, since Monolith doesn't own the rights to the name. It's gonna be boss. I'm definitely waiting on this one.

[COLOR="Navy"][b]Jade Empire[/b] has taken up most of my time as of late, although, I don't really care for it that much in terms of the characters so far. Story is decent so far, although I don't think I'm that far in the game unless Jade Empire is very short. I just beat a tournament in the Imperial Arena.

Say I beat the game, are there any other characters you get to play as besides the original choice of characters? Because I don't like these 5-6 characters you're giving at the very start.[/COLOR]

I am currently playing [B]Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories[/B] for the Ps2 right now. I finally got Adell to level 1000. I also wanted to get Fallen Angel Flonne and Overlord Laharl because I know they are awesome. I am also playing [B]Eternal Sonata[/B] that game is very good if you like the JRPG game type. I'm also playing [B]Project Gotham Racing 4[/B] a very fun game if you like racing games.

[B]Blue Dragon[/B] is also a great choice if you're looking for a great, Japanese styled RPG. It has classic elements from various previous RPG's and the story is good enough, not fantastic, but good enough. The graphics will blow you away and Akira Toriyama's character designs translate very well into full 3-D. The game's pretty long too, so if you need a long RPG to tide you over until this holiday season, then go for Blue Dragon. Great pick in my opinion.

[FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"]Currently, I've been playing [B]Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus[/B] because I'm trying to become better at sniping or shooting games all around in general. Sure SquareE is sucking the life out of the plot of VII, but it's okay because at least it's sequels are better than sequels of other games I've seen out there.

Vincent is kick *** when it comes to his gun, which you can modify or make it bigger and send the enemies flying after you've shot them in the head. Which, in my opinion, is the best.

I've beaten [B]Elite Beat Agents[/B] for DS, but I'm playing it again because IT IS JUST SO DARN FUN. Listening to the music and watching people become so happy or angry anime style is just way too much fun to stop playing. It also has good song choices, by the by.

Hmm... the oldies are coming back to me... I feel like play [B]The Legend of Dragoon[/B] again and beat it for the sixth time. Sure the graphics are bad, but the music, plot and characters make it oh so much better.:smirk:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Keyblade Wielder'][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"]
Hmm... the oldies are coming back to me... I feel like play [B]The Legend of Dragoon[/B] again and beat it for the sixth time. Sure the graphics are bad, but the music, plot and characters make it oh so much better.:smirk:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Courier New"][COLOR="Gray"]By today's standards, yes the graphics for Legend of Dragoon would be pretty bad, but you gotta remember, that game was released here around 97-98 right around the same time as FF7. So having full 3D sprites walk around in a pre-rendered universe was pretty cool back then. Now a days, this is the norm. So it makes sense that you would think that the graphics seem a little dated.

I liked Legend of Dragoon for the unique twist on the battle system that started the revolution of hybrid battle styles. The additions in that game made turn based combat pretty cool...no more wait for your turn, pick and click from the menu and wait for the attack to happen. Almost every action was determined on how fast and how accurately you could press buttons to increase damage on attacks. Lavitz's version of Gust of Wind Dance still gives me trouble to this day.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Guest hamtarocake
Right now, I'm really into [B]Animal Crossing: Wild World[/B] for the Nintendo DS.
It's a really laid back and relaxing game. It's the type of game that you could play on an afternoon with nothing to do and end up totally amused. I've also been playing [B]Animal Crossing [/B] for the gamecube but it's not as fun as the DS version. The DS version was released in 2005 so it has many more features and replayability.:catgirl:

Guest The Blue Jihad
Orange Box! It's fan-****ing-tastic, and Portal is like an extended 31-day orgasm and quite possibly may--nay, IS better than sex. Well, it's better than plain, missionary vanilla sex. The kinkier sex still takes the cake, though Portal has its own cake, though [spoiler]you never actually get the cake[/spoiler]...so kinky sex first, then Orange Box. You have your sex and then you play with your portal.

[FONT=Arial]I'm flippin' excited because I just found the trilogy box set of [I]Devil May Cry[/I] for thirty bucks (and 3 is the Special Edition), so I've pretty much put [I]FE: SS[/I] on the shelf for the moment.

So I'm behind the times. Shaddup. :p (Besides, it's cheaper this way.)[/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"][quote name='Korey'][FONT="Courier New"][COLOR="Gray"]By today's standards, yes the graphics for Legend of Dragoon would be pretty bad, but you gotta remember, that game was released here around 97-98 right around the same time as FF7. So having full 3D sprites walk around in a pre-rendered universe was pretty cool back then. Now a days, this is the norm. So it makes sense that you would think that the graphics seem a little dated.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Oh, I wasn't dissing it by any means, I understand it came out during the time FF VII did. I thought it was a great game way before the PS 2 came out. Don't worry, I absolutely LOVE the game. I remember this was my very first game I played in my entire life and I thought it was so scary. So, honestly, [B]LoD [/B]made me like to play video games even more. :3

And yeah, it took me awhile to master Gust of Wind Dance, lol. But once I did, it was funny to see them stripper-pole dance over a spear like that. :rolleyes:

I so want to play [B]Eternal Sonata[/B], but it's too bad it's only for the 360. I bet if they made it into a PS2/3 game, that company would make a killing. I did have a 360, but my mom sold it because she sayd I wasn't playing it enough.

...[I]Right[/I]. During exams and last days of school, I had so much time to play it. >_>

I WANT TO PLAY [B]FF VII: CRISIS CORE[/B] FOR PSP! But I have to buy one first...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Courier New"][COLOR="Gray"]By today's standards, yes the graphics for Legend of Dragoon would be pretty bad, but you gotta remember, that game was released here around 97-98 right around the same time as FF7. So having full 3D sprites walk around in a pre-rendered universe was pretty cool back then. Now a days, this is the norm. So it makes sense that you would think that the graphics seem a little dated.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=darkred]You know, that's interesting. People say that for whatever the visual capacity of a game was back then, it was good, but for me it's sometimes been the opposite. I remember when I first bought FFVII, and I knew nothing of the game because I was drawn to it by word of mouth. I didn't know how it looked, how it played -- nothing. But I distinctly remember looking at the back of the instructions and seeing a clip of Cloud in the reactor and thinking "what the? this game sucks!". Of course, it made no difference because that game got PLAYED, but I guess I was just used to games more like Resident Evil at the time (which I did consider as good graphic-wise back then).

Thought I'd share that.[/color]

[quote name='BlueYoshi'][color=darkred]You know, that's interesting. People say that for whatever the visual capacity of a game was back then, it was good, but for me it's sometimes been the opposite. I remember when I first bought FFVII, and I knew nothing of the game because I was drawn to it by word of mouth. I didn't know how it looked, how it played -- nothing. But I distinctly remember looking at the back of the instructions and seeing a clip of Cloud in the reactor and thinking "what the? this game sucks!". Of course, it made no difference because that game got PLAYED, but I guess I was just used to games more like Resident Evil at the time (which I did consider as good graphic-wise back then).

Thought I'd share that.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]Same here. Although, by the time I was introduced to FF7 (real late... I had a ps2 before I was introduced to the FF series), I was playing FF8, and then I went onto FF10, and then came to FF7. It was pretty hard to adjust to that. (It took me about a year or two to actually come back to it after playing FF8) Eventually I got over the graphics and played it straight through.

In any case, I beat [b]Jade Empire[/b] last night. I'm playing it again, this time I'm going to see how it is taking the Closed Fist.[/COLOR]

[quote name='BlueYoshi'][color=darkred]You know, that's interesting. People say that for whatever the visual capacity of a game was back then, it was good, but for me it's sometimes been the opposite. I remember when I first bought FFVII, and I knew nothing of the game because I was drawn to it by word of mouth. I didn't know how it looked, how it played -- nothing. But I distinctly remember looking at the back of the instructions and seeing a clip of Cloud in the reactor and thinking "what the? this game sucks!". Of course, it made no difference because that game got PLAYED, but I guess I was just used to games more like Resident Evil at the time (which I did consider as good graphic-wise back then).

Thought I'd share that.[/color][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Gray"]That's good you shared it because that brings up my next point. For those of us who played the FF series in chronological order, FF7 was close to orgasmic when it came out. Then came along FF8 and blew that out of the water with people who didn't look like chibis. But that comes with evoution, so based on where your experiences with the FF series lie, you may love or hate FF7. It makes sense that you would think that games like RE would blow FF7 out of the water, but both games are completely different.

Good graphics, in my humble opinion, come out of the 2D fighting games department, because all the sprites and backgrounds are hand drawn. Case in point, the [B]Guilty Gear[/B] series. Those games are stunning graphic wise, and they are nowhere near as complicated and powerful technically speaking with games like BioShock or Metroid Prime 3. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]