OtakuBoards

What are You Watching/Reading Now?

2010DigitalBoy

Wendee Lee holds a special place in my memories.  She voiced Yuri in the original Dirty Pair movie [b]Project Eden [/b]and that was the show that really got me into anime.  So yeah, having her as a part of any series voice cast is a selling point for me.  But her portrayal of Konata was something new even after so many years of being a fan.  

Some of the most priceless moments in LS were when Konata was talking about Haruhi.  Hearing Wendee Lee griping about another character she portrayed was hilarious.  And watching Konata cosplay as Haruhi while speaking in Haruhi's voice was the icing on the cake.

that sounds hilarious.... course it might have been a better joke if you hadn't spoiled it!!1 >__<

i got to episode 10... and immediately watched another episode so i think that answered the question of weather i am gonna stick with it or not.

i also watched the new naruto episodes and was very disappointed. i hadn't watched the new one from last week 'cause i knew it would be filler. so i waited another week so that id have something to watch that was good.... but the second episode... ALSO FILLER(not the same filler mind you... a whole different filler story) since i cant tell when the writing is getting on track i am waiting a month this time.

Finished [b]Zeta Gundam[/b] a couple of weeks back and enjoyed it much more the second time around . . . you know, since I actually had knowledge of the UC [b]Gundam[/b] time line on this watch. Watching in Japanese with good subtitles helped a lot, too, since the English dub is so awful (and yet I watched that because the subs I had before were somehow [i]more[/i] awful). I'd say [b]Zeta[/b] is the best of the [b]Gundam[/b] series, but it's also the most depressing, haha. That ending, man . . .

Also recently went through [b]Moribito[/b] and loved it. Pretty refreshing to see an entire cast comprised of thoughtful characters who actually think through their actions. Ultimately, there isn't even a real villain in the series, although the mikado comes kind of close . . . even then, though, you can kind of see why he acts the way he does if you look at events from his point of view (but he does act fairly douchey). The action parts of the series are pretty awesome -- so many good spear fights! -- and the slice-of-life parts are likewise good, with the exception of maybe one or two episodes. Can't recommend the series enough.

Right now I'm going through [b]s-CRY-ed[/b]. Through four episodes, it's basically what I expected it to be -- lots of crazy powers, hot bloodedness, and so on. What is interesting is that there's no clear-cut villain or hero right now. Kazuma is supposed to be sympathetic, of course, but he doesn't act entirely good, and I can actually sympathize with the agents in HOLY who are trying to keep these people with crazy powers from wreaking havoc in the city. (Undoubtedly, though, there are going to be corrupt people in the hierarchy eventually.)

And might as well do quick bits on the fall series since I'm too lazy to start a thread:

-- [b]Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge[/b]: Best first episode I've seen so far. [b]Arakawa[/b] is as funny as ever.

-- [b]Bakuman[/b]: Solid first episode of a show that will probably get a lot better once Takagi and Mashiro start working on their manga.

-- [b]Iron Man[/b]: Not bad, although the character designs are uuuuuuuuuuuuugly. Also lol'd at how much Tony Stark loves Japan.

-- [b]OreImo[/b]: OK first episode; some decent laughs, and the brother-sister relationship isn't anywhere near as repulsive as it could have been. (But there are still ass shots of the little sister character. Sigh.)

-- [b]Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt[/b]: Not entirely sure why so many people are going gaga for this. The look is unique for anime, but meh. First part of the episode is pretty awful, just a bunch of dumb toilet humor, although the transformation sequence is amusing. Second part of the episode is better, though still not hilarious or anything.

-- [b]Psychic Detective Yakumo[/b]: Haha, even if I didn't know Bee Train was behind this, that would have been my first guess. First mystery is whatever, but the end does hold promise of a solid overall story.

-- [b]Star Driver[/b]: Absolutely ridiculous, and I'll take mecha wherever I can get it, so you know I'm enjoying this.

Ok, I've neglected posting long enough. (been busy playing this silly game)

[u]Manga[/u]

[b]Fairy Tail[/b]. Despite the pointless fanservice that's being thrown in my face left and right, Erza's been too great of a character, and at the moment she's the only reason why I even got back into reading this series. Gildartz is a new character that's been mentioned a couple of times throughout the story and he finally popped up. Hopefully he'll be another character that's actually worth caring about. I've compared this to One Piece on quite a few occassions, and it's no different here with this character. He puts me in the mind of Shanks. (And, well, Shanks is currently one of my top favorite characters in One Piece) Gildartz got some big shoes to fill. Don't disappoint me now.

[b]One Piece[/b]. I'm thinking about re-reading this series from the beginning. Anyway, this is the 3rd week since it's been back and after a stellar release for the past couple of weeks, I found this recent chapter to be on the crappy end, mainly because I'm sick of Luffy's stupidity.

[quote name='The Tentacle' date='24 July 2010 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1279993322' post='697766']
Probably the two biggest series I'm into right now are [b]Soul Eater and Gintama[/b].  I'm about to wrap up Soul Eater this week but Gintama is going to be a long-lasting pleasure at just over 200 episodes.  I'm also expecting the second volumes of [b]Kurokami and Queen's Blade[/b] next weekend.  

As for manga I'm currently reading [b]Dance In the Vampire Bund[/b] (don't judge me man), [b]Fairy Tail[/b] and a bunch of other titles that trickle in every few months.  [b]Air Gear and Elemental Gelade[/b] are being updated sporadically but I refuse to give up on either of them.  
[/quote]
Elemental Gelade <3
i finished that a couple weeks ago but i only have 3 volumes of the manga x3
and i want to watch air gear
it looks good

been re-watching RockMan.EXE and Yugioh
and watching Kiddy Grade XD

I started watching Gungrave three days ago. I loved the story and I havent seen any good action animes in a while so I decided to revisit one I already knew was good. I forgot just how good it was. I am on the last few episodes (which i will definitely watch tonight... one long weekend and i already rewatched it all.

EDIT: finished it! I knew I couldn't help myself. the last few episodes are just too compelling. Edited by CaNz

Yea, Gungrave is awesome, especially in the character department. Too bad it gets overlooked at times.

I've been watching a few episodes of [b]Fairy Tail[/b] and to be honest the anime's bad. When I tried watching it once before I was turned off because I didn't think the animation was good one bit, but it got its act together around episode 10 and it's been pretty good. Also, while watching Fairy Tail, I've managed to find another favorite besides Erza and that's Cana. I think it was because of the latest chapters because I don't recall her having much screen time in the early chapters/episode. I'm not one that really care about emotions and whatnot but you certainly feel for some of these characters. It's too bad that this series is too much like One Piece. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, having Natsu be a double of Luffy is, especially when I can't stand that personality trait.

Speaking of One Piece, I tried to watch some of the later episodes and couldn't bring myself to it. I definately rather stick to reading it.

I'm a fan of the Fairy Tail manga but I was unaware that there was an anime version of it.  Is it licensed for release outside of Japan?  (I'm not into streaming anime online btw.)

At the moment I'm watching [b]Sengoku Basara[/b].  It's not the best anime I've seen but it's not the worst either.  The fight scenes just plain suck, especially considering the series is based on a Capcom fighting game.  Most of the exchanged involve one character flying at another in a blaze of energy, creating a big explosion.  Definitely not up to the standards of Dead Fantasy (or even Shadow Skill).  <--- That was intended to be a low blow btw.

But as a person with an interest in Japanese history and mythology the idea of notable historical figures duking it out in a free-for-all brawl is too good to pass up.  Takeda Shingen alone would have made this show worth watching but there are so many others I can't even begin to list them.  

I also just finished [b]Shikabane Hime[/b].  Awesome show with a compelling storyline.  It was nice and dark with amazing depth to the characters.  The circumstances made me not only feel sympathy for the villains but also want to punch the so-called good guys in the face at times.  It was just a huge, dramatic train wreck that made it really hard to pick a side or make a decision as to who was wrong or right.

Sadly the ending pretty much ruined the series.  I won't spoil it for you simply because I can't.  The ending was.....well, there honestly wasn't one.  It just sorta trailed off, leaving you to wonder wtf you just saw.  I kept waiting for the next episode to begin or the second season to be announced but it never happened.   Edited by The Tentacle

[quote name='The Tentacle' date='31 October 2010 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1288550978' post='701427']
I'm a fan of the Fairy Tail manga but I was unaware that there was an anime version of it. Is it licensed for release outside of Japan? (I'm not into streaming anime online btw.)[/quote]

[size=1]Unfortunately, no, but considering that it has a rather decent size fanbase, I can see that changing, especially since it just got picked up for a 2nd season recently.[/size]

Still going with the Fairy Tail stuff, but now I'm also watching [b]DBZ Abridged[/b]. It's pretty much the only way I can watch anything affiliated with DB anymore. Episode 19 is hilarious.

team fourstar could make anything hilarious. I have been trying to keep up with both DBZ abridged and Yu-Gi-Oh abridged. too much fun!

I am watching all of Rurouni Kenshin again... the English dub isnt bad, and if i remember correctly it gets better the farther along it gets.
my reason for this is because i never saw all the episodes. i missed a ton on TV and from what I hear some were never aired.
also my friend gave me his copies of Samurai X.. .so i am getting in the mood.

Okay, I'm actually posting right now, which is amazing for someone with my current level of laziness. xD
I'm watching and reading a medley of anime/ manga, some of which are good but most of which are so-so. I'd really love to find another anime/ manga that's on par with [i]Monster[/i] or [i]Baccano![/i]. Any suggestions?

Currently watching:

[url="http://myanimelist.net/anime/7054/Kaichou_wa_Maid-sama!"][i]Kaichou wa Maid-sama![/i][/url]. It's a really cute anime, if typical anime. The strange thing is, is that I am actually enjoying it! Most of these shoujo "Oh! I'm such a strong girl, and I really like this guy; but because I said I don't like guys I'm just going to deny to everyone, including myself, that I really think he is the hottest thing since lava!" type girl. They usually are a pain in the ass, but I find myself liking Misaki's character. I also like the fact that she hasn't actually gotten any weaker physically, like most of her kind do when they meet the leading male role.
Usui, too, is an anomaly! Usually I hate his type of "I'm such a nice guy, but I'm going to pretend to be all mean and a player because I don't think you like me" character. It's really refreshing.

Oh! I'm watching the [url="http://myanimelist.net/anime/7193/Aoi_Bungaku_Series"][i]Aoi Bungaku Series[/i][/url] as well. I'm only on the first episode, but already this has turned into into a gripping series. It's still a little hazy as to what direction the characters are going to take, but I love the over all feel of it. The first episode has a sort of film noir look to it. The character designs are gorgeous(what do you expect? [url="http://myanimelist.net/people/1888/Takeshi_Obata"]Takeshi Obata[/url] was the one who did them!), the animation has nothing lacking. It's smooth and really pleasant to watch, which is a nice change.

I'm also watching [url="http://myanimelist.net/anime/6746/Durarara!!"][i]Durarara!![/i][/url]. It's a good anime. I have to say that I expected great things from it, and boy did it deliver! The characters are rich and full of life! The animation is crisp and clean. The story is impelling, making me want to sit down and watch the whole thing in one day. There were a lot of plot twists that I didn't see coming, which was nice. Not to brag or anything, but in most anime I've gotten to the point where I can tell pretty much exactly what's going to happen. . .so watching this is a real treat!

Yeah, I'm going to stop at those three for now. I'm running out of time. *::*is putting off getting ready for work*::*
Sometime I'll get around to posting up the manga I'm reading(which is a LOT) .

Here are links to [url="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/AnyaSilverblade"]My Anime List[/url] annnnd [url="http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/AnyaSilverblade"] My Manga List[/url], if anyone is interested. Edited by Sir Drift-a-lot

Anime on par with [b]Monster[/b] and [b]Baccano![/b]? That's a tall order. ;) Some recommendations from me, though ... (boy, do I love the shared anime feature on MAL!):

-- [b]Akagi[/b] and [b]Kaiji[/b]: Both are about gambling and dark underworld settings ... [b]Akagi[/b] is a more straightforward tale of the title character's rise to the top of the underworld through his ruthless mastery of mahjong (sounds silly, but it's really intense). [b]Kaiji[/b] is about a man who desperately tries to pry himself out of debt through life-or-death gambling contests; it's [i]really[/i] dark, and my preferred series of the two because it has more depth, and the story has more clever twists and turns. Both are good, though.

-- [b]Detroit Metal City[/b]: 12 episodes of 13 minutes each about a guy who just wants to sing fluffy pop tunes and is instead the leader of Japan's most notorious death metal band. Maybe the funniest anime ever made.

-- [b]Kaleido Star[/b]: A young girl climbs to the top of the circus through hard work and guts. Unique in anime in that it emphasizes the hard work just as much as the guts. Plus, Kaleido Stage is a magical setting.

-- [b]Kemono no Souja Erin[/b]: Just the type of under the radar anime I think you'd love. A girl with an affinity for animals grows up in a country that is splitting apart due to war. Written by the dude who wrote the [b]Moribito[/b] novels, so you know it's a smart series.

-- [b]Legend of the Galactic Heroes[/b]: I'm only 20 episodes in, myself (out of 110), but if you didn't love this, I would be absolutely shocked. It's nothing less than the story of a galactic war between an empire and a group that wishes to secede ... but with neither side totally glorified or made utterly evil. There's an insane range of characters, stories and perspectives, and yet it's surprisingly easy to keep up with given the scope of the whole thing.

Now on to what I've watched ...

Finished [b]s-CRY-ed[/b] a while back. Pretty much what I expected it to be, which is not to say it wasn't enjoyable. Especially loved the ending because it's so gloriously dumb, awesome and ridiculous.

Also watched [b]Welcome to the NHK[/b]. I respect it, but I don't know that I enjoyed it ... I guess I view it in the same way I do a movie like [b]Requiem for a Dream[/b]. It's well made and doesn't glorify its main character at all, and you can appreciate how far into darkness it treads, but I don't know that I'd ever watch it again.

Now I'm watching [b]Princess Tutu[/b], but I've been stuck on ep5 for a while lol. Just too many other things distracting me at the moment.

[quote name='Shinmaru' date='08 November 2010 - 06:49 PM' timestamp='1289238593' post='701626']
Also watched [b]Welcome to the NHK[/b]. I respect it, but I don't know that I enjoyed it ... I guess I view it in the same way I do a movie like [b]Requiem for a Dream[/b]. It's well made and doesn't glorify its main character at all, and you can appreciate how far into darkness it treads, but I don't know that I'd ever watch it again.
[/quote]

That's a really good description of Welcome to the NHK. When I first started it, I thought it was going to be a bit less true to life, with the talk of conspiracies being real. But it ended up being a surreal anime that didn't glorify the main character at all like you said, Shinmaru..

I related a lot to Misaki though, in that I would usually feel bad for Sato. Even when he got what he deserved or sunk to his lowest.

It was well done, but I don't know if I could watch it again. In a good way though. Like, I had a great first experience watching it and I don't want to ruin that with another visit to the series.

Thanks to CaNz's recommendation, I just finished [b]Gokusen[/b]. It introduced me to a whole new style and world of girl's anime/manga. I loved how it made the Yakuza seem like big hearted thugs and I really loved the show's main character, Yankumi. I laughed quite a few times with this anime.

Speaking of laughs though, I've also picked up[b] Niea_7 (Niea Under Seven)[/b]. It's a great anime about a freeloading alien living with a cram school student. It's very funny so far and I always liked Yoshitori Abe's art style. So if you've watched Haibane Renmei but want something funnier, I would recommend Niea_7 to anyone that's interested.

[quote]
Anime on par with [b]Monster[/b] and [b]Baccano![/b]? That's a tall order. ;) Some recommendations from me, though ... (boy, do I love the shared anime feature on MAL!):
[/quote]
Inorite? I found it really hard, myself! :o

[quote]-- [b]Akagi[/b] and [b]Kaiji[/b]: Both are about gambling and dark underworld settings ... [b]Akagi[/b] is a more straightforward tale of the title character's rise to the top of the underworld through his ruthless mastery of mahjong (sounds silly, but it's really intense). [b]Kaiji[/b] is about a man who desperately tries to pry himself out of debt through life-or-death gambling contests; it's [i]really[/i] dark, and my preferred series of the two because it has more depth, and the story has more clever twists and turns. Both are good, though.[/quote]
I've heard of Akagi, and I was really interested in it. Never got around to it, though. Now I have to try both of them out. =d

[quote]-- [b]Detroit Metal City[/b]: 12 episodes of 13 minutes each about a guy who just wants to sing fluffy pop tunes and is instead the leader of Japan's most notorious death metal band. Maybe the funniest anime ever made.[/quote]
Omg, that sound hilarious! I wonder where I can find it online. . .

[quote]-- [b]Kaleido Star[/b]: A young girl climbs to the top of the circus through hard work and guts. Unique in anime in that it emphasizes the hard work just as much as the guts. Plus, Kaleido Stage is a magical setting.[/quote]
This one is good, eh? I've heard of it but never got around to watch it.

[quote]-- [b]Kemono no Souja Erin[/b]: Just the type of under the radar anime I think you'd love. A girl with an affinity for animals grows up in a country that is splitting apart due to war. Written by the dude who wrote the [b]Moribito[/b] novels, so you know it's a smart series.[/quote]
ZOMGYES. If it has anyone as sexeh as Balsa in it, then I'm all for it~!

[quote]
-- [b]Legend of the Galactic Heroes[/b]: I'm only 20 episodes in, myself (out of 110), but if you didn't love this, I would be absolutely shocked. It's nothing less than the story of a galactic war between an empire and a group that wishes to secede ... but with neither side totally glorified or made utterly evil. There's an insane range of characters, stories and perspectives, and yet it's surprisingly easy to keep up with given the scope of the whole thing.[/quote]
110 episodes? o3o That's. . .a lot to swallow. . .but if you say it's good and that I'll love it, then I'm sure I will! After all, I loved every movie I watched in that movie list you gave Nan and I.

I am trying to concentrate more on my college class rather than watch anime. Keyword here is 'trying.'

I am doing a lot better than last quarter anyways. It took me about two months to catch up from where I was in Bleach to current. (started at 150)
I also marathon-ed Kaichou Wa Maid Sama and Getbackers. I hope to rewatch all of Sailor Moon before Christmas which will be an amazing feat in and of itself. I am considering whether to work on Hetalia, Black Butler, or Soul Eater. Thoughts?

As for manga, I am considering catching up on Bleach and Vampire Knight.

[quote name='Japan' date='10 November 2010 - 07:33 AM' timestamp='1289370795' post='701713']
I am trying to concentrate more on my college class rather than watch anime. Keyword here is 'trying.'

I am doing a lot better than last quarter anyways. It took me about two months to catch up from where I was in Bleach to current. (started at 150)
I also marathon-ed [b]Kaichou Wa Maid Sama[/b] and Getbackers. I hope to rewatch all of Sailor Moon before Christmas which will be an amazing feat in and of itself. I am considering whether to work on Hetalia, Black Butler, or Soul Eater. Thoughts?

As for manga, I am considering catching up on Bleach and Vampire Knight.
[/quote]

[b]Thank you so much! I knew there was an anime I had heard of and left it off my list. I'll start watching Kaichou Wa Maid-Sama now.

Also, if anyone has any good 13 episode or less anime to recommend, feel free. I like 13 episode series. 26 episodes is long to me. (I'll still watch the 26 episode series though, if they can hold my interest.)

I'm almost done with my list of series, so it would be good to get started on something new. I mostly like comedy, drama, or a good romance. :biggrin:[/b] Edited by Lilt

[quote name='Lilt' date='10 November 2010 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1289409384' post='701718'][b]
I'm almost done with my list of series, so it would be good to get started on something new. I mostly like comedy, drama, or a good romance. :biggrin:[/b]
[/quote]

Gravitation!!!

It has 13 episodes, great music, romance, drama AND IT IS A COMEDY :D

[quote name='Japan' date='10 November 2010 - 01:33 AM' timestamp='1289370795' post='701713']
I am considering whether to work on Hetalia, Black Butler, or Soul Eater. Thoughts? [/quote] 

I would recommend Soul Eater to anyone who enjoys anime.  It's one of those series that only comes along every so often and manages to win on every level.  It's one of the best titles I've seen in ages.  Definitely check it out if you have the chance.

[size="4"]Currently, I'm watching the action horror T.V. series "Corpse Princess" at U.S. Anime distributor FUNimation Entertainment's YouTube channel. Basically, this series is like "Highlander" and "Ghostbusters" combined as the story involves a once-dead fighter (that's the beautiful Makina) hunting ghosts and monsters as a job. Though I'm only at the 3rd episode of this series' 1st half, I consider this a must-watch for those who like both action and horror genres. Plus, I find that Makina has all the amazing qualities of the fictional female action hero: courage, good fighting skills, the will to get the job done regardless of the costs, lack of fear, and hot looks.[font="Arial Black"][/font][/size]

[quote name='The Tentacle' date='10 November 2010 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1289422692' post='701726']

I would recommend Soul Eater to anyone who enjoys anime. It's one of those series that only comes along every so often and manages to win on every level. It's one of the best titles I've seen in ages. Definitely check it out if you have the chance.
[/quote]

Thanks to this scene I will have to watch Soul Eater.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoUQbQmxEgI[/media]