OtakuBoards

What are You Watching/Reading Now?

2010DigitalBoy

Nicktoons've been airing a lot of DBZ movies as of late, and while I'm pretty much fed up with the DB series I still wanted to check some of them out. Broly's 2nd coming was on last night and boy was that annoying. Goten and Trunks are too annoying, especially Goten. I've always looked at clips of Gohan vs Broly and thought it was going to be a good fight and for the most part it was decent, but overall the movie itself was just sheer annoyance.

Been reading Naruto, Bleach, and Fairy Tail. I'm pretty much bored with Naruto. The stuff I've hated about Naruto has reared its ugly head yet again. There are so many characters in this seroes and every last one of them became incompetent to the point to where they have to rely on Naruto. Where are the folks who can take care of themselves at?

Bleach has been highly entertaining, [spoiler]especially with the arrival of the soul reapers[/spoiler]. Don't get me wrong, you knew it was going to happen, because Kubo is terribly predictable that way, but his delivery of that moment is what made it good. It's a good thing these fights are no longer than a chapter because I don't want anymore sandbagging with these fullbringers. They were dull to begin with.

Fairy Tail has been a rollercoaster for the most part. This latest arc has been entertaining, but at the same time it's been corny as well. [spoiler]You would think a guild led by the former guild master would be way more competent then they were[/spoiler], but then again I want to blame the writer for that because it's like he backed out of having Fairy Tail actually suffering defeat.

Well I just finished watching Baccano!

It started kinda slow for me, but I really got into it. I don't think there has ever been comedic relief characters anywhere close to as awesome as Isaac and Miria. There where many times where I busted out laughing at 3am because of them (and my horrid sleep schedule.)
the story was intriguing and the characters were all pretty good in my opinion, (though I doubt I could name many of them that weren't in the opening theme-song.

Oh, and I love that theme-song... so catchy...

Finally got some more time to watch anime (actually, I've always had the time it's just I choose games over it). Been catching up on [b]Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood[/b]. I have the entire collection (I've had it for about 2 months now) and just now getting around to it. I've probably said it already but I really enjoy Brotherhood over the original and that's most because I don't find Ed and Al to be annoying in this version whereas, in the original they got under my skin, especially Ed. Anyway, I just finished watching episode 7.

Also, I ordered, [b]Gundam 00[/b] part 1, [b]Code Geass[/b] season 1 collection, and [b]Darker Than Black[/b]. I'm not a fan of mecha but I did like both Gundam 00 and Code Geass (probably the only 2 mecha series I'll probably buy/watch). Darker Than Black on the otherhand, I'm kind of going in on a blind buy. I've only seen the 1st 5 episodes and haven't watched it since, mainly because I could never find the time to watch it as well as, I just couldn't find it in me to bother with trying to pick it back up. I'm hoping it does get better than what I've seen from the 1st five though.

I have done quite a bit of anime watching lately.
I just watched [b]Eden of the East [/b]in two days time. It is a short series (though I bet there is more out there) but definitely one of the best I have seen. The plot is amazing, the characters seem pretty realistic, and the same goes with their personalities. The story is outlandish, but it sure was believable. I can't think of a single thing that I didn't like about this series.

I also watched [b]Millennium Dragon[/b]. Its a dubbed movie that is all the rage on some anime forums (thankfully not this one) I personally think it is a waste of time, (and I wasted even more time because I fell asleep watching it twice) so stay away. The dub is bad, so pretty much all the appeal of it being in English was instantly stripped away. The animation is choppy and the characters have almost no expressions what so ever. It has the budget of a anime movie, but they squandered it on below par production value. The plot is so generic it hurt. The appeal to this anime comes from the fact that the main character is a useless coward that inherits a ton of power from a mira/redi(culous) turn of events. This nobody then becomes the bravest boy on earth, and we are supposed to believe that it is because he had the courage inside him, and it is in no way related to the fact that he suddenly became the most powerful person on earth. I am guessing because I am currently a nobody, I should be inspired... didn't happen.

Lastly I started to rewatch the old school [b]Mobile Suit Gundam[/b]. I know the animation is bad, and the characters actions are borderline cartoony, (watching Amuro drive was hilarious) but the show does have a decent plot. I like most of the characters, but everyone is a bit rash in that universe. Personally I am just glad to see a Zaku II again... those things are so cool compared to all the other drone Mobile suits in other Gundam's (except for the scary ones in F19.)

Yeah, [i]Eden of the East[/i] is at times outlandish (I had to reset my BS Meter a couple times when watching it), but overall I liked it. I just recently rewatched the 2nd film [i]Eden of the East: Paradise Lost[/i], and it got better the second time around. I'm tempted to go through the series again once more.

As far as other stuff I've watched, I've had the displeasure of sitting through the [i]Hiyokoi[/i] OVA. Good grief, that was like being trapped in a warm, fuzzy group hug you want no part of. Ever see those cats that don't like being cuddled, held, or even picked up? That was me halfway into the anime. You name the cliche, it served it up on a silver platter and whether or not you asked for it. I guess that's what happens when you pick up an anime at random based on a scant description of it, haha.

[quote name='â?¡â??x(Px & Rx)' timestamp='1318653920' post='709926']
Yeah, [i]Eden of the East[/i] is at times outlandish (I had to reset my BS Meter a couple times when watching it), but overall I liked it. I just recently rewatched the 2nd film [i]Eden of the East: Paradise Lost[/i], and it got better the second time around. I'm tempted to go through the series again once more.
[/quote]
I just saw the two movies today. I am not sure that the final ending lived up to the rest of it... but it was a very realistic way to finish it off. I think the movies did a little too much backstory and not enough following the characters actions, but I am still glad they continued the story after the anime series ended... the build up in that series was amazing.

I'm not sure which of the movies I like more, the first or the second. The first one nicely ties in some themes and ideas that were only hinted at in the series, especially when the first film [spoiler]alludes to [i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i], when they go to that merry go round in the rain. The last episode of the series merely suggested this, but you'd have to be watching carefully to pick up on it. However, I caught on to it, and it made me appreciate Takizawa's character more. When they did deliberately refer to it in the 1st film, "The King of Eden", it gave me more insight into Takizawa's motivations and how he tends to see things. While not exactly as far gone as Holden Caulfield, Takizawa does share that same mindset of a young person who knows something's rotten in society. However, he deals with it far differently than Caulfield did. (Also, on a side note, you can see it too in The Laughing Man from [i]GitS: SAC.[/i] Kenji Kamiyama likes to explore that personality, by putting it in different situations and contexts.)[/spoiler] That bit put a smile on my face.

I just finished watching all of [b]Fullmetal Alchemist - Brotherhood[/b] (I actually bought the entire series) and it was quite epic. I've always said that Ed and Al practically ruined the original anime for me, especially Ed because of his brattiness. Even with all the secondary characters in the original I feel they still ruined my experience. Here in brotherhood, I enjoyed them quite a bit, although I really do wish the original VA for Al would've returned. Anyway, I don't consider anything perfect but FMA was close to it. The music was great. The acting was great and then the characters were great. Even Winry, one of those damsels-in-distress type of characters that I usually can't stand is even liked by me, but Mustang continues to be my favorite by far with Olivier following close behind. The animation, while it's no Ghost in the Shell: SAC, it is still really good. And truth be told I'd really like for Bones to handle all forms of shonen anime from this point onward.

Now what to watch next....

• 2 weeks later...
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Just started watching [b]Deadman Wonderland[/b] after someone recommended it. Only two and a bit episodes in but it's definitely looking quite interesting despite the fact I'm generally not a horror fan.[/size][/font]

I am now watching a strange series called[b] Chaos;Head[/b]. So far, I am not crazy about it, but the plot is just good enough for me to push forward. The main character seems like the kinda anime character that I hate... The Otaku guy that I am supposed to relate to somehow. He is a big fan of anime and video games... but that somehow turns into him having conversations with his favorite female character who doesn't do much but hang on to him and encourage him to play MMORPGs. He repeatedly stresses that he has no interest in "3D" women... except at times he looks at his own sister in a very unsettling way. I know what they were going for with this character, but I can't say I fit this stereotype, and I don't know all that many people (or any )that do. Edited by CaNz

A couple of things about [b]Chaos;Head[/b]: I don't think people are supposed to relate to Takumi (I think that's what his name is). He's supposed to be a creepy, despicable otaku. Also, the series unfortunately falls apart about halfway through. It builds a decent amount of intrigue, but when it comes time to [i]explain[/i] that intrigue, it goes to ****.

I definitely dislike Takumi, but really I hate seeing that kind of character because he is everything I try not to be. The fact that the character exists in the anime kinda removes me from the world, since it seems so ridiculous. I know that there is a fantasy aspect to the show, but I figured the main character wouldn't be the this unrealistic.

It saddens me to hear that the plot is a flop since it is the only thing keeping me going.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][b]Chaos;Head[/b] is pretty freakin' awful, at least the anime adaptation is [haven't played the Nitroplus games]. What Shin said is about right - it starts out pretty interesting, then halfway through the series things just start to collapse on itself into a puddle of convoluted nonsense. Looking back, though, I think limiting it to 12/13 episode is what kinda killed it...if it was stretched out a little more, I think it could have been better.

And yeah, Takumi's one of the most unlikeable protagonists around, but then again they don't particularly portray him as sympathetic, either. Not from what I can remember anyway [which is admittedly not a lot, since I watched it when it came out in...I think it was 08? Man, that's so long ago now...].

The ED is catchy, though, at least.[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

Well, I just finished[b] Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides[/b]. Honestly I was let down, because whenever I watched a pirates sequal in the past, I assumed it was bad, but it turned out to be fairly decent in my opinion. This time was different. The story really feels strung together, and the whole feel of the movie was different. It might be because almost all the cast left, but the meme humor present throughout the series is gone completely, and even though only three characters (four if you count the monkey) returned in this one, they really only developed a handful of new ones, and they all pretty much suck. My biggest gripe is the lack of cool pirate battles. I may have been spoiled from before, but these ones just seem lack luster by comparison.

Now I am watching an anime called [b]Heroic Age[/b] since I have been warned off of Chaos;Head. So far I am liking the feel of the world, and you really can't go wrong with Heracles' stories... and the Dub isn't terrible. I am happy I switched already.

I've also been watching [b]School Rumble[/b] recently. I'm often hard on anime comedy, because a lot of it is just not funny, but [b]School Rumble[/b] has me laughing consistently. It's such a fun show, and it has a great cast of characters and juggles them well. Can't recommend it enough.

I think [i]Chaos;Head[/i] had something going for it; otherwise, I wouldn't have finished it if it were completely beyond redemption. But I'm having a hard time putting a finger on that it was, since all I think of is how much I disliked the main character.

Okay, [i]Kimi ni Todoke[/i] is watchable so far (I'm on ep. 12), but sometimes it's a little too [i]twee[/i]. If you marathoned this and played a drinking game by taking a shot whenever someone looks at another and blushes, you'd probably experience liver failure halfway through the 2nd. ep. But it does pull back from the brink of being overly light and fluffy, thankfully. Yet, what also bothers me is that it's just [i]too chatty[/i] at times. Sure, you have to express yourself in anything dealing with romance. However, there are times when an anime just has to let a scene dwell poetically on itself, as it were, in silence. It doesn't do that enough, which is a shame.

Lastly, why the hell do I kinda like [i]Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful[/i]? I thought the first season was totally average, and for that reason I hesitated for so long in watching the 2nd season. Mind you, it's not great, but GAINAX rarely makes anime that's totally worthless with no redeeming features. Again, I can't put my finger on why I like this one. Please don't fall apart at the end!

• 2 weeks later...
I've only watched Fairy Tail up until now. I know it was released not so long ago and i only developed interest towards it at this present day.^^ it was the first fantasy anime i've ever liked, i usually go for the realistic ones. However, comparing to One piece, Fairy Tail still needs a lot of development but all in all it's awesome.

i like the protagonist Natsu Dragneel. His careless and fun-loving personality reminds me of luffy. He's one of the reasons why i became interested in fairy tail and the more i watched its episodes the more i grew fond of FT. :) Its Fantasy and Comedy genre blends together perfectly but i think they need more romance. Lol.

Well, i guess Hiro Mashima hasn't thought about focusing the story on romance. I think if that happened it wouldn't be Fairy Tail anymore. XD But i like Natsu's fights because it never fails to amuse me and at the same time make me laugh. I love the way Hiro Mashima puts comedy on the fight scenes. It's not too serious.^^

that's all. For now, i'm an official Fairy Tail anime otaku :))

I reiterate: watch [i]Time of Eve[/i], or remain forever - [i]imperfect[/i].

Okay, it won't overthrow something like NGE or GitS, but it's really impressive for what it does and how it does it in a mere 16 min per ep (the last ep. is close to a full 30 min, though). It's not overly difficult, like some sci-fi anime can be, but it's not dumbed-down and simplistic either. You can just sit back and enjoy it, without even knowing about philosophical problems dealing with rule-following and other minds. [i]Time of Eve[/i] nicely presents age old problems almost anyone can connect with: what are you thinking, and what do you think of me? Recommended.

Also, [i]Pale Cocoon[/i] is one of those weirder, slightly abstruse sci-fi anime. However, here too it's skillful enough to not bury itself under ponderous metaphors of Being. I'd rather not elaborate on it, since it's much better if you know less about it, I think.

I stayed up till 6;30am watching [b]Seven Samurai[/b]. The way I figured out the movie was long was the sun coming up. I also figured out that life sucked pretty hard back then. Samurai take on really dangerous jobs, and no matter their skill, they often die, Farmers are poor and pretty much defenseless, so they are often raided, and the bandits get slaughtered if they attack protected villages. The only people I saw enjoying life were the gamblers, as they just heckled the poor farmers and samurai.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I finished up the [b]Chobits[/b] anime the other night. I had watched the first handful of episodes years ago and finally got around to watching it in its entirety [sans the three recaps, anyway].

I'm a fan of the manga, and I have to say I like the manga a bit more, as it paces things better. But the anime is still worth a watch as well, although it doesn't really get good until about halfway through when the plot really kicks in. The manga was much the same way as well, but it handled its time better; the anime-exclusive filler was boring more often than not. [Although I did kinda like the MMORPG episode, at the very least].

I watched the dub, and since it was an early 00s production, it was alright, though nothing too spectacular. Crispin Freeman was delightfully spazzy as Hideki, however, and Sandy Fox and Kari Wahlgren were great as Sumomo and Kotoko, respectively. The two voices I didn't care for a whole lot were Mrs. Hibiya's [at least initially] and Chii's herself. Bridgett Hoffman's Hibiya kinda sounded robotic and forced early on [and she's not a persocom, mind you], but as the series went on, she got a lot better [as is the norm for many dubs]. But Michelle Ruff as Chii...I just wasn't feeling at all. I dunno what it was, I just didn't care for it a whole lot. [She did a good job as Freya, though.]

And of course, the OP is as cute as heck, and the EDs are nice as well, though I have a preference for the second.[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

• 3 weeks later...
[font=palatino linotype]I only just ordered [i]Evangelion 2.0[/i] on Blu-ray. So I guess I'm not [i]yet[/i] watching it, but I'm really looking forward to it. I loved the first rebuild film, and I've heard that the second is even better (as well as being even more divergent from the TV series).[/font]

After growing tired of Bleach and Naruto once again, I finally began reading [b]D-Grayman[/b]. For the most part it does nothing to hook me. As a matter of fact I'd say it's a step backwards from reading Bleach and Naruto. The one thing it has going for it though is that the characters are great. I find these characters very enjoyable. I don't find anyone annoying, nor have I really seen any damsels, and then Allen Walker just has a nice charm to him that's on a similar level of Gon (HxH). He's a lot more naive but he's not an obnoxious brat or some antsy character. If anything, everyone has some type of quirky personality to them.

It's hard to recommend the series because from what I've read of it (up to chapter 80) it's nothing special (not saying it's not good. Just nothing special) and you've probably seen/read something like it already, but the characters are certainly enjoyable, so if you want something to read just for the characters do give it a shot.

[font="Verdana"]Right now, I'm currently watching Mawaru PenguinDrum, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Jellyfish Princess (Kuragehime), Mirai Nikki and Stein's Gate.[/font]

[font="Verdana"]As for reading, I'm currently reading Kuchibiru ni Saketa Orange, Lovephobia, Dawn Of Arcana, and B.O.D.Y. I was also reading Blackâ??Rock Shooter but, I lost interest in it.[/font]