OtakuBoards

What are You Watching/Reading Now?

2010DigitalBoy

[quote name='Mark' timestamp='1324363540' post='710662']
After growing tired of Bleach and Naruto once again, I finally began reading [b]D-Grayman[/b]. For the most part it does nothing to hook me. As a matter of fact I'd say it's a step backwards from reading Bleach and Naruto. The one thing it has going for it though is that the characters are great. I find these characters very enjoyable. I don't find anyone annoying, nor have I really seen any damsels, and then Allen Walker just has a nice charm to him that's on a similar level of Gon (HxH). He's a lot more naive but he's not an obnoxious brat or some antsy character. If anything, everyone has some type of quirky personality to them.
[/quote]

I finally caught up with D-Grayman and, while I still can't say that I'm hooked (it's probably for the best that I don't get hooked either) I can say that I really do enjoy the series. If I had to compare this series to another I'd probably say Fullmetal Alchemist. It's nowhere near as good, but it does what it do good enough. As I've stated, the series strong point are the characters. I do like just about all the characters except Johnny and the Inspector. Johnny, while a loyal friend, it almost rivals Naruto's man-crush for Sasuke. The only difference is Allen accepts everyone as a friend while Sasuke hates everyone. And then we have the Noah's. Of the ones who've been in the series for a while (Tyki Mikk and Road), I really enjoy them as well. They're like the Humonculi, but quirkier. At the moment my favorites are Kanda, Tyki Mikk, Road and Cross. I may try watching the anime someday.

The next series I'm gonna get into (get back into) will be Soul Eater.

Edit:

So I just tried to get back into Soul Eater and, man, after the 12th chapter I just lost all interest. I don't want to get too much into it but I'd probably have a better experience watching it over reading it, because right now (after reading the 12th chapter) there's quite a bit that's turning me off from the series. Edited by Mark

• 2 months later...
[color=#9933cc][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Figured I should probably kick my section of the boards up out of the past. :P The past few weeks have actually been pretty active in my own anime watching, too.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I've been rewatching [b]Madoka [/b]on Crunchyroll and it's just as good as the first time I saw it. Watching it with the knowledge of what happens later actually adds a whole 'nother layer to it; the show practically changes protagonists. At least it does for me, anyway. CR's also been using the DVD/BD release, which adds a lot of little flourishes and effects to it. I quite like it.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I watched the first few episodes of the infamous [b]Usagi Drop [/b]a few weeks ago, while trying all the while to beat the manga's ending out of my head. I managed to do so, but I'm honestly not in any hurry to watch the rest. It's not [i]bad [/i]by any means -- I get that it's a more gentle, low-key series -- but it's just not making me go "DAWWW UGUUUUU" like it has for so many others. Maybe it's because I have zero desire to be a parent? I dunno. But maybe I should watch a couple more episodes.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Finally, I've been rewatching/finishing [b]Samurai Champloo[/b]. I saw roughly the first half years ago on Adult Swim, and never got to finish it because of a schedule change. Nevertheless, I liked what I saw then, and I'm loving what I'm seeing now. Everything about it is just perfection...agh. So so good. And addicting, too.[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

[color=#0099ff]All I've got going right now in terms of anime is [b]Persona 4[/b], which makes some of the hardcore Persona fans scoff and be all "I was a fan of the series when it was a game, cha". And to that, I'm like "lolol". (I'm playing the game as well, calm down.)[/color]

[color=#0099ff]The series is wrapping up this week, which makes me sad because that means I have to find something else to watch in the meantime. Looking back, the show got remarkably better after roughly the first ten episodes, and by that I mean it got out of its funk of having a good-bad seesaw cycle. There were just some in the early days that were unbearable becuase of how freakin' slow they were. The dungeon crawling/boss fight episodes were good, but the ones that were like PLOTPLOTPLOTPLOT were handled so bad. Fortunatelly, once Kanji got in (maybe Rise), episodes flowed a lot better and it to be a show that I enjoyed rather than cringe at half the time.[/color]

[color=#0099FF]Hopefully something good will come along for the summer season (ie Tiger & Bunny last year), otherwise I'm returning to my land exclusively of live action TV.[/color]

Not much from me. Only time I really get to watch any anime is during the weekend, and that's only if I'm not playing some kind of game. But for the most part I've been able to divide my time evenly amongst the 2. Anyway, this past weekend and the weekend before that I've gotten back into [b]One Piece[/b]. I decided to go ahead and buy the series and watch it in english. Despite being the ugly series that it is I cannot take away the fact that it is a fun series. And giving it a 3rd go-around I suppose the voice acting is actually decent. Nevertheless, I still have issues with the voice acting (I've probably said it once or twice before); mainly considering other work some of these voice actors/actresses have done, the work in One Piece is kinda on the subpar level. And then there are voices that just don't fit well with the character themselves (Mainly what's her name as Luffy), and then on a smaller scale, attack names. I've heard it in Bleach as well, but I hate it when they use the word "now" in front of an attack/command. It kinda irritates me to hear that. But other than that, it feels kinda refreshing to get back into the series again, let alone, start from the beginning.

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Just finished the final episode of Bleach (man that feels weird to say that), really liked the way the structure the last quarter of the episode and the "ending", felt right. [/font]

[color=#4B0082]I finished Shakugan no Shana III last night. Given that the first two series were painfully mediocre and road almost entirely on Shana's character design and tsundereness (dat KugiRie), Shana III really surprised me by how good it was. I almost want to say it's worth watching the first two series for, but it's been so long since I watched the first two that I'm not quite sure about that.

Also finished Black Rock Shooter, which was great all the way through, and even better than the OAV, which was good but slow in parts. The TV series keeps things moving at a better pace and involves more characters.[/color]

[color=#ff0000]Finished up [b]Persona 4: The Animation[/b] today. Sort of. Apparently, they're releasing a Directors Cut of the 'final' episode and a new episode that will cover the True Ending. BUT ANYWAY. The entire series was pretty good, given that it was a video game adaptation, although it had it's rushed moments. And let's not forget the...er...animation...errors (Defaces, double Chies, etc)

It's going to be weird, not having anything to look forward to watching on a weekly basis, at least until Fate/Zero 2 starts. I'm probably going to focus on [b]Tiger and Bunny [/b]in the meantime, maybe finally get around to finishing some other series I've been neglecting. I dunno, I might even pick up [b]Bleach [/b]again, for teh lulz.[/color] Edited by RedJ

hmm... well first post as a new member

well i'm currently watching Persona 4: the animation (i'd like to make a list of what i've recently watched, but i'm just gonna go ahead and stay on topic here)

[quote name='Gavin' timestamp='1332872236' post='711059']
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Just finished the final episode of Bleach (man that feels weird to say that), really liked the way the structure the last quarter of the episode and the "ending", felt right. [/font]
[/quote]

never thought i'd see "Bleach" and "final episode" used in the same sentence... i kinda quit watching that on episode 312 when it was really getting stupid

• 4 weeks later...
I'll leave some quick thoughts on some series I've finished over a week or so ago, since they're still fairly fresh in my mind (for good and bad reasons - and in one case, both).

I enjoyed [i]Black Rock Shooter[/i]. I also liked the OVA, too, so that coaxed me into watching the series when it came out. I noticed that the battles in the series are animated in CG, with a style slightly different than the illustrated battles in the OVA (which had a more sketchy, rough look, but not in a bad way). Those scenes really popped out on the screen, so that was fun to watch. The tone was also slightly darker in some places too, which gave it more emotional weight. All in all, I'm giving it a 7 out of 10.

[i]Ano Natsu de Matteru [/i]was surprisingly good. I don't know how many people watched it, but if you didn't, then now's the chance! At first, it looked and felt like a cut-and-paste job from various slice-of-life anime, which in a way it continued to be right to the end. However, it gradually became more than that with each episode, with the later episodes being genuinely itself. And when it was itself, it resonated. Overall, this also gets a 7 out of 10, but a [i]very strong[/i] 7, haha. Also, Lemon (or Remon) might be one of the most adorable jerks I've ever seen.

Oops, edit time!

I mentioned one being both good and bad, and I hand that dubious achievement to...[i]Another[/i]. I know this was a horror anime, but I found myself actually laughing out loud with each new episode: e.g. lightning is attracted to idiots, I guess. For all the times I've slagged this anime, though, it sure as heck was entertaining! You really wanted to tune in to the next episode just to see how they were going to drive the story off the cliff. It gets a 6 out of 10, nevertheless, since it could have been much more than dumb (unintentional) fun. Edited by Hunter S. Spaceman

• 2 weeks later...
I'm currently on ep. 23/26 of Guin Saga. I'm watching it, because I'm a huge fan of the book series of the same name by Kaoru Kurimoto, and I am also a long-time fan of composer Nobuo Uematsu best known for his work on the Final Fantasy series. I am delighted that the anime delves much further into the story than I have been able to read. (I was only able to find 5 books, and the end of the fifth was a cliffhanger. And yes I am aware of the manga, though I have not read it.). I was gravely disappointed, however, in the quality of the English dub, and the translation, for that matter. It is so out of context and just almost embarrassing. I feel really sad about it, since I love the story so much.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm currently watching [b]One Piece[/b]. Just getting to the Little Garden episodes. Gotta say I definately hate Luffy, but I respect his dedication to his crew. And then I also hate Usopp.

And then we have filler which is awful as well.

Currently I'm watching Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai. Great Shojo thus far with an interesting cast. Needed me a new shojo after watching Ef: Tales of Memories. I'm also watching Tales of the Abyss, which is proving to be very entertaining, though it seems to have some pretty out there twists that just pop out of nowhere. A little cliche, but still really good. Um, I just finished reading Beast master, which is a great shojo manga. Highly advised but very short. Other than that, I'm kind of lagging behind on my anime since my....new job.

• 3 weeks later...
Recently, I prefer manga but I've started to see [b]Natsume yuujinchou[/b] because of a friend's recommendation. I'm on the three episode and is absolutely interesting but the most important... the protagonist (Natsume) is so nice!!
And I'm currently reading [b]Bleach, Katekyo Hitman reborn[/b] (weekly mangas); [b]Ao no exorcist, Bloody Junkie[/b] (monthly mangas)

• 4 weeks later...
I just finished the series [b]Durarara!![/b], maybe two minutes ago. It was a really addicting and well-paced story, though by the end I was a little too attached to the characters-- the characters are all so well-established and lovable, that it really is difficult to see them go. Not to mention, that there's 15-20 people moving the story along, so the final episode really can't give large segments to each character for a good amount of closure. But that's not to say the final episode wasn't good. Durarara!! was an amazing series; I'll leave it at that.

Also finished [b]Eden of the East[/b] the other day. I have to say, its story was unbelievably smart & enthralling. Heck, I haven't seen a television series that well-written in a very long time.

Not sure what to start now. I'm out of a job currently and have way too much time on my hands. I'm thinking about buying some episodes of Soul Eater-- a few of my friends are really hyping it up in everyday conversation, and well, it sparked my curiosity. The first four episodes made me laugh out loud quite a bit. Usually, I'm into very story-driven series, but for a typical shonen series, it seems quite enjoyable. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Let me preface this for saying I haven't watched anime, at all, in a very long time. I used to be obsessed with the stuff but my life went in a direction where I cared less and less about media of any kind, not just anime. But I've been "rediscovering" some of my love for anime recently and I've decided to go back and watch some old favorites before I tackle anything that's new.

I just watched FLCL for the first time in years. I remember being very fond of it when I watched it the first time. At the time I thought it was hilarious, moving, and poingnant. I didn't quite get it this time around. Perhaps that's because its a coming of age story, and almost entirely about puberty and sex. The first time I watched it I couldn't have been more than 14 or 15, and I was also smoking a bunch of pot, haha. So its content AND seeming randomness was much more appealing to me.

This time I'm not really sure what to think. It was pretty enjoyable, beautiful animation, interesting gags, and made me chuckle a few times. But it wasn't quite as relatable this time around. Time changes everything I guess.

Revisiting NGE next.

I swear, each month it feels like I lose more interest in anime. I mean I have all the series I want on dvd, and I'm pretty much at the point where I don't even care what's on tv (in terms of anime). With that said, though, I've been watching some [b]Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood[/b] for the past couple of days. Or rather, it's been watching me while I sleep. That's not a knock against the series or anything (I just go to sleep with anime on my tv).

[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Started [/font][b][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi[/font][/b][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif] this morning and rampant fanservice aside, I have to admit I'm rather enjoying the humour and style of it. [/font]

[b][Edit] [/b]Apachai is now contesting my favourite manga character spot, dude is all kinds of awesome. Edited by Gavin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So this is my first post im finally letting my inner otaku out just watched Summer wars and the girl who lept through time and it left me craving for more does any one have any suggestions on what I should watch next.

• 1 month later...

Well, I did start Tari Tari. I still need to finish Tora Dora. I've been majorly into J-Dramas lately and so I just finished Densha Otoko and started Gakusen (which I heard has an anime version I'll have to get my hands on).

I plan to watch Gantz. I'm not reading too much...I finally started "The World Ends With You" over again so that I can play start to finish, and I'm actually doing well without getting distracted this time. ^_^;

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching One Piece with my brother for a while. Otherwise, I don't really watch much anime 'cuz I'm often busy and manga is much faster. I recently finished reading Alice 19th, am on book 12 of Pandora Hearts, right in the middle of Kamisama Kiss, and have begun Skip Beat. I also have a long list of ones that I need to read or watch once I finish these.

One Piece is a childhood memory, and I will always love it, though it is really long, so I know a lot of people don't have that attention span.

Alice 19th, and all of Yuu Watase's stuff is fantastic, but mainly aimed towards older teens.

Pandora Hearts is awesome! I love Break, Alice, and Echo!  And every other character.

Kamisama Kiss is good, but too many other people have been reading it at my library, so I always have to wait a month between each book, which kind of waters it down for me. I feel that I'd like it better if I didn't have to wait on it.