OtakuBoards

Every Movie You've Watched in 2008

Shinmaru

I don't remember if I tried this before here, but if I did, it probably failed miserably.

Anyway, use this thread to keep track of every movie you have/will watch(ed) this year. We can then see what you watch and praise/mock you accordingly.

So, um, I guess I'll go first. :P

Live Free and Die Hard: Lots of explosions and stuff, which is nice, I suppose, but this is my least favorite of the Die Hards. Bruce Willis is still fun as John McClane (even though he launches into superhumangodmodder mode WAY too often), but the villains were the weakest in the series. Generic cyberterrorist and Maggie "Stoneface" Q = not cool.

Time Bandits: I like Terry Gilliam, and this looks pretty damn incredible even more than 25 years later, but I was honestly bored through a lot of it. I don't know what it was; I just wasn't feeling it, though. Maybe I'll give it another watch some time.

The Hustler: Now THIS is ****ing awesome. Great story about obsession and how far a person will go to be the best (and be an utter douchebag along the way, haha). Paul Newman rules as "Fast" Eddie Felton - he's super arrogant in the beginning before his first match against Minnesota Fats, and [spoiler]once he gets his *** handed to him and loses everything because he wants to humiliate Fats and rub his face in the loss, he meets someone who's as hopeless as he is and has choose between her love and his desperate obsession.[/spoiler] Pretty obvious where that goes, but the ride is riveting as hell. Bert Gordon is also a horrible, horrible man. Just thought I should say that.

Movie Count: 3 (Live Free and Die Hard, Time Bandits, The Hustler)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I watched [B]The Protector[/B]. There's not much to say, it was by far the greatest action/martial arts film ever. Tony Jaa is a golden god.

I also watched [B]Dead or Aliv[/B]e, a Japanese film by director Takashi Mike who is known best for doing the Ichi the Killer movie. It was pretty ****ing sick, and the style was jost so different that it was refreshing, if a little boring. However, all I really recall is the OH MY GOD ****ING AMAZING ending. I won't spoil it, just go watch th movie yourself. It is, BY FAR, the greatest ending i've ever seen.

I also watched [B]Oldboy[/B], an awesome and trippy Korean movie that felt about twice it's 2-hour length. It was an excellent mix of suspense, action, and psychology with a dash of black comedy thrown in for good measure. One of the most well-written movies I'd say I've ever seen and the innumerable plot twists and mechanics are just too much fun. Really, really awkward moments, too.

I believe that covers it so far. [/COLOR]

[quote name='2008DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]I also watched [B]Oldboy[/B], an awesome and trippy Korean movie that felt about twice it's 2-hour length. It was an excellent mix of suspense, action, and psychology with a dash of black comedy thrown in for good measure. One of the most well-written movies I'd say I've ever seen and the innumerable plot twists and mechanics are just too much fun. Really, really awkward moments, too.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Haha, Christ, I thought the complete opposite about Oldboy. The basic concept is great, and everything else about it I like (acting, directing, fight scenes, etc.), but once the story starts getting into [spoiler]Dae-su remembering his past and the high school hijinks with Woo-jin and Soo-ah, the plot just gets too ridiculous, unbelievable, and retarded for me to care about. I will say, though, that smug!Woo-jin is awesome. "*****, I just made you do it with your daughter - HOW YOU LIKE THAT??"[/spoiler]

Um, glad you liked it, though. :p

[quote name='Shinmaru']Haha, Christ, I thought the complete opposite about Oldboy. The basic concept is great, and everything else about it I like (acting, directing, fight scenes, etc.), but once the story starts getting into [spoiler]Dae-su remembering his past and the high school hijinks with Woo-jin and Soo-ah, the plot just gets too ridiculous, unbelievable, and retarded for me to care about. I will say, though, that smug!Woo-jin is awesome. "*****, I just made you do it with your daughter - HOW YOU LIKE THAT??"[/spoiler]

Um, glad you liked it, though. :p[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]lol, well, I don't like things to be realistic anyway (as you would be able to tell if you saw the end of Dead or Alive XD) as for Oldboy, I dunno if I'd say it was at all realistic from the start, but it was a very anime style plot, which is probably what drew me into it. And I LOVE [spoiler]incest[/spoiler] >_>[/COLOR]

[quote name='2008DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]lol, well, I don't like things to be realistic anyway (as you would be able to tell if you saw the end of Dead or Alive XD) as for Oldboy, I dunno if I'd say it was at all realistic from the start, but it was a very anime style plot, which is probably what drew me into it. And I LOVE [spoiler]incest[/spoiler] >_>[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Well, I wouldn't say I have difficulties suspending my disbelief with fiction (and, hell, I like anime too :P), but with Oldboy, it was a bit too much for me (as it should be when [spoiler]hypnosis is used as a plot device[/spoiler]).

[size=1][color=#8B008B][B]Old Boy[/B]...oh god. If it was any movie that made me squirm, it was this one. I haven't seen it since a long while but I can still remember almost every part. Sure enough, Park Chan-Wook was pretty amazing in directing this and I admit that this was probably the most off-the-rocker movie filled with suspense, mystery, and whatnot but I have to agree with Shin that when it came to all of that junk, it just went downhill.

Anyways, as for me I've watched:

[B]War[/B] - Not exactly what I expected but it was better than my minimum standard. It's not the action-packed "i'll try to kill you and you try to kill me" movie I thought it was going to be; however the story behind chasing the Rogue was interesting.

[B]3:10 To Yuma[/B] - I wasn't really expecting much from this, considering it wasn't really a movie that caught my eye but it turned out to be good. Personally, I just liked the gun shooting.

[B]Dragon Heat[/B] - A Chinese movie with cops chasing after bad guys. Once more, shooting is involved.

[B]Mean Girls[/B] - What can I say? It's a ridiculous chick flick and really, Rachel McAdams is hawt. Probably the only reason most guys watched that movie.[/size][/color]

[quote name='Revelation'][size=1][color=#8B008B][B]War[/B] - Not exactly what I expected but it was better than my minimum standard. It's not the action-packed "i'll try to kill you and you try to kill me" movie I thought it was going to be; however the story behind chasing the Rogue was interesting.
[/size][/color][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Agreed. Although, I was a little disappointed. Give or take who the people are in this movie, I was expecting a little more fighting. The fighting wasn't bad but, since [i]The Protector[/i], action movies hasn't really been that great anymore lol. But I actually like the story in War. I pretty much like most stories where you gotta figure out "who did it".

[b]Shoot em Up[/b] - I never wanted to see this movie from jump street, but the gunfights were pretty good. Everything else, I didn't care for.

[b]Stomp the Yard[/b] - This is the only movie dealing with dancing that I like. (Outside of Breakin and Electric Bugaloo) I don't know what goes on in them fraternities (sp?), but it didn't give any influences on me joining one either. In the end, me and my sister likes to mimic this one for random moments lol.

[b]Ghost Rider[/b] - "sighs" It's decent, storywise, granted that I don't know anything about Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze. And seeing how I watch these superhero movies only for action, I was disappointed. Honestly, outside of Blade, Spider-Man and Batman Begins, none of these hero movies are any good, and I don't know why I keep expecting them to be any different.

I'm still waiting to see [i]Bourne Ultimatum[/i] >_> Favorite series so far.[/COLOR]

[B]Movies I have seen:[/B]

[B]I am Legend [/B]- This movie is great. I always like 'last man of earth' stories and this one didn't dissapoint me. Will Smith is a great actor and this movie is testament to that. he manages to carry a two-hour movie by largely talking to himself and a dog.

Brickbat for [spoiler] killing off the dog! Awwww, that sucked. :([/spoiler]

[B]Alvin and the Chipmunks[/B] - It was interesting to see the Chipmunks living with Jason Lee's interpretation of the character Dave, which was nothing more than Earl minus the moustache and list. I was expecting to see Randy burst through the door at any time.

Brickbat for [spoiler] hip-hop Chipmunks. Good grief![/spoiler]

[B]Movies I will see:[/B]

[B]Cloverfield[/B] - Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it Voltron?

JJ Abrams new movie sure has a lot of mystery about it, and I guess that's why I am going along to it. I really, really want to to see what this frickin thing that attacks the city is!

Marketing genius, if nothing more than that. We'll have to wiat and see.

[B]Meet the Spartans[/B] - Even thoguh I was thoroughly unimpressed with "Epic" Movie.

[quote name='taperson'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Plus, during the scary war scenes, [spoiler]I just made out with my boyfriend.[/spoiler] XD[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE][size=1]... [i]Scary[/i] war scenes? o_O Missed those... Fantastic movie though, but I watched it not long before 2008. :P

So what did I watch after 2008? Let's see.

[b]Moulin Rouge![/b] - for the ... I don't know, 9th time? It only gets better! This is just one of the best movies ever made, true facts.

[b]Trainspotting[/b], because I read the book and I wanted to compare the two, though I watched the movie before. Love the movie, almost as much as I loved reading the book. They changed and left out a lot of things, but the end result was probably a lot cleaner than the book. Though that was also a bit of a charming aspect about the book...

Oh and I saw a part of [b]I Now Pronounce You Chucky And Larry[/b] or something like that, because people were watching it downstairs, but I didn't quite like it so I went upstairs again.[/size]

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Shin, I love your movie topics. I can barely remember the last 2 weeks of movies, but I'll try. I almost never make it to the theater, but I watch a ton of dvds. Is this movies we see for the first time in 2008, or do movies we've seen over and over again go here too?

[B]SUNSHINE[/B] I'll watch anything by Danny Boyle, and throw in Cillian Murphey and I'm putty in your hands. Yes, I liked it. A group of scientists flying through sace to reignite our dying sun. Sets are breathtaking and the acting by a cast of people almost all of whom you'll recognize.

[B]3:10 to Yuma[/B] I enjoyed this one, but it wasn't as grand as I thought it would be. Russell crowe was incredible and Bale was good. I love Ben Foster, and I'm glad that he had a major part in this one.

[B]Shoot 'Em Up[/B] I love Clive Owen, but what in the hell were all these people thinking. Any movie that starts off with a birth scene in the middle of a shoot out either should be awesome or awesomely terrible. This one was neither.

[B]Rio Lobo[/B] I think. Some old John Wayne movie. It's very much like many others... He was the good guy and saved the day.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Molleta'][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Is this movies we see for the first time in 2008, or do movies we've seen over and over again go here too?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

As long as you watch the movie this year it counts, no matter how many times you've seen it before in past years. But if you watch the same movie twice in one year, then just count it the one time.

Also, it doesn't really matter to me how you see the movie either - theater, DVD, TV, Internet. It all counts.

Anyway, um, haven't watched a movie since I last posted in here because I haven't had the time... I checked out a bunch from my school library, though, and I requested more from the ol' local library, so I shall be a busy man soon. :)

[SIZE=1]Alright, lets have a go at this:

[B]The History Boys: [/B]Excellent film - Alan Bennett is an excellent writer, and the actors are all superb. The story is interesting, slightly moving and very funny, and there are some incredibly witty lines in it. While the whole movie does feel like a play (probably because it was adapted from one), that is not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. The almost "episodic" nature of the film seems to fit the story very well.

[B]Little Miss Sunshine: [/B]I saw most of this film last year for my Film course at college, but I was away for one lesson and missed the ending. So it was a pleasure to finally be able to finish it yesterday. While I don't normally like movies billed as "the funniest comedy of the year," I actually felt that this one was one of the funnier of last year. Steve Carrell actually put in a fairly mature turn as a [spoiler]homosexual scholar who is put into the care of his extended family after a suicide attempt[/spoiler], and Alan Arkin's role as a heroin-addicted old man was almost [spoiler]Mercutio-like, and ended in much the same way, unfortunately.[/spoiler].

[B]Hero [Jet Li]: [/B]I remember I liked this film the first time I saw it, as it was one of the first foreign-language films I saw, but now I've seen quite a number, this one seems to pale in comparison to many others. The visuals are stunning, admittedly, but the characters are a little on the cliched side.

And here's where I go all Film-student on your *****:

[B]That Obscure Object of Desire: [/B]A French surrealist film, directed by Luis Bunuel, about the lack of uniquity in the modern(ish) world. Although classed as a surrealist film, it is not as absurd as you might think. In fact, there are only a few elements in there which make it surreal, the main one being the constant switching between two actresses playing the female lead, presumably representing the super-ego and the id (it's all Freudian). Interesting, although not one of the better films I've seen recently.

[B]Phantom of Liberty: [/B]Another French surrealist film by Luis Bunuel, although this one is a lot more fun than Obscure Object. This is a lot more surreal, and is almost Monty Python-esque in it's comic moments, of which there are a number. A few examples are: the army hunting foxes in their tanks; monks gambling, drinking, smoking and swearing; and a couple engaging in bondage in front of a room full of people. I had a lot more fun watching this one.

[B]The Good Shepherd: [/B]Awful film. I've never watched a film for so long, featuring so many characters I care so little about. Matt Damon acted well, but the character (one of the first CIA operatives) was so unlikable and detached that I just got restless at the one and a half hour point, which also happened to be the halfway point. I actually endured this film for three hours, hoping there would be some sort of character development - a breakdown, something, but even after Damon's character had [spoiler]ordered his son's fiancee to be killed[/spoiler], he had no emotion at all. I very much recommend not watching this film, as you will never get those three hours back.

[B]300: [/B]I don't care what everyone says, this movie is NOT the homo-erotic blockbuster of the century. It is the most manly movie I've ever watched - I wanted to be drinking beer and fighting and eating steak while I was watching it, but unfortunately could not do any of these things. I loved the visual style of Sin City, and this one compared extremely well to that one. The hunchback has become the butt of many jokes in my college, as well.

[B]FILM COUNT: [/B]7 (The History Boys, Little Miss Sunshine, Hero, That Obscure Object of Desire, Phantom of Liberty, The Good Shepherd, 300)
[/SIZE]

[b]Black Dragon[/b] (aka [b]Miracles[/b]): Lots of fun. My experience with Hong Kong cinema is mostly confined to John Woo; I saw this at my school's library and thought I'd give it a shot. The story is pretty basic, but it does its job and it's kind of nice at the end. Fight scenes are great, as expected, and there are a ton of funny moments. I especially enjoyed the scenes where the movie goes into Hong Kong Vaudeville mode, haha. The excellent use of the whommmm whommmm whommmmmmm noise is also greatly appreciated. :P

[b]Hollywoodland[/b]: It's okay. I like Adrien Brody, but I didn't buy him as a hardboiled private investigator. Kind of weird to see Brody outacted by Ben Affleck of all people lol. Affleck's parts were the most interesting, though, and I think the movie would have been better if it focused more on George Reeves' life rather than all the problems in Louis Simo's life.

I'll be watching [b]Blood Diamond[/b] soon, so I'll be editing in my thoughts on that later...

Movie Count: 5 (Live Free and Die Hard, Time Bandits, The Hustler, Black Dragon (Miracles), Hollywoodland)

[B]The Bucket List[/B] [B]-[/B] I only saw it because I was going to the movies with my family. The previews made it look abominable, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was just very bad. Definitely one of Jack Nicholson's worst displays of acting ever. (Not that I've seen a lot of Jack Nicholson movies; it's just that he couldn't possibly have done much worse than this and still have a career.)

[B]Hot Fuzz - [/B][I]Finally[/I] saw it last week, and wow. This movie is a standard of viewer satisfaction by which all other movies should be measured. At all times, the film gives you what you want, even if you didn't know you wanted it, and never compromises its integrity in the process; it's like the Andrew W.K. of action comedies. I also found it more satisfying than Sean of the Dead, because I didn't have the zombie flick background to really enjoy that one to its fullest.

[B]Veggietales: The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything -[/B] Saw this one with my youth group yesterday. Unlike a lot of today's CG movies that tend to blur the line between a children's and adult's movie, this is definitely one for the kids. Given that, I don't think there's much to say. lol

[B]Cloverfield -[/B] **** the critics, Cloverfield was very good. As everyone's said, the handheld style was the clincher for the film, and it wouldn't have had much of its power without it. Hud was a great character choice for the cameraman, and all of them being average, lame college kids was a boon rather than a problem and shortened the distance between them and the viewers and translated their emotions to me very well. For example, one of the most powerful moments in the movie for me was when [spoiler]Hud gets a shot of the monster coming straight towards them in the street, when it suddenly starts getting barraged with fire from the military right behind them. It was so damn loud and intense and seemingly real that when Hud started screaming like a doofus for a few minutes, I almost felt inclined to scream right along with him.[/spoiler]

[COLOR="Blue"][b]Wild Hogs[/b] - Just saw this movie about an hour or 2 ago, and while it's not the funniest movie out there, it does have it's moments. The funniest parts, I was expecting to either come from Tim Allen or Martin Lawrence. I was caught off guard by the computer geek. (Forgot his name.) He was so stupid till you couldn't really help but chuckle at him.

[b]Invincible[/b] - I didn't see all of it, but from what I saw, it was a good football movie. I probably need to go back and watch it again, but chances of that happening is none.

[b]Death Sentence[/b] - Another movie I didn't see much of, but from the bits that I did see, it was really good. I haven't seen a good Kevin Bacon movie since Tremors, and I think I may watch it again.[/COLOR]

[b]Blood Diamond[/b]: Liked it a lot. The only weak point in it is the [spoiler]love story[/spoiler] - it struck me as a bit forced, but I can't say it took away too much from the awesome of the rest of the movie. Leo DiCaprio is still on a hell of a roll, and Djimon Hounsou is intense as hell as a desperate man who will do anything to reunite his family.

Movie Count: 6 (Live Free and Die Hard, Time Bandits, The Hustler, Black Dragon (Miracles), Hollywoodland, Blood Diamond)

[COLOR=INDIGO][b]3:10 to Yuma[/b] – One of the best western movies I have ever scene. Bale and Crowe both shine but the real treat is the under current of suspense that keeps building as the movie progresses.

[b]Shoot Em Up[/b] – This was a lame movie, but I think its lameness was intentional. The movie is more or less a satirical take on the modern day action flick, but it isn’t spoofy. Actually, I thought it was fun to watch once. Once.

[b]Chinatown[/b] – Film Noir at its best. This is a classic, the plot is interesting, and Jack Nicholson is incredible. If you haven’t seen this movie yet you should go rent it.[/color]

[b]Animal Crackers[/b]: Classic Marx Brothers. Still funny as hell no matter how many times I see it. Every time I watch more, though, it becomes increasingly apparent that Harpo Marx's character is a sociopath. :p

[b]Marie Antoinette[/b]: It got mixed reviews when it was released, but I liked it. The movie does a good job of representing the isolation of Marie Antoinette within Versailles and the decadence the upper class within Versailles filled their lives with while cutting themselves off completely from the outside world. It all looks friggin gorgeous too. That's three good movies for Sofia Coppola. :)

[b]Inside Man[/b]: Pretty good, although slightly disappointing. There's no real resolution at all with Jodie Foster's character - she comes in, does some stuff, leaves, and that's about it. Everything else is solid enough, though, and even if the big plot twist is kind of a stretch, I can accept it. Hey, it's worth it to watch a couple of hours of verbal sparring between Denzel Washington and Clive Owen.

[b]The Fountain[/b]: I was thrown for a loop by the last fifteen minutes or so (I'm pretty sure critics were, too, which is why this got mixed reviews); however, after thinking about it a bit more and applying the simplest explanation for what happened, I liked it much more. It's a solid story of love and death (and fear of death) that's a fair bit less epic than it would like to be. Nobody said movies had to be epic to be enjoyable though... lol.

Movie Count: 10 (Live Free and Die Hard, Time Bandits, The Hustler, Black Dragon (Miracles), Hollywoodland, Blood Diamond, Animal Crackers, Marie Antoinette, Inside Man, The Fountain)

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]Alright, in no particular order, every movie I watched in the month of January:

[B]Borat[/B]* - Funny
[B]Superbad[/B] - Good
[B]Cube[/B] - Unique
[B]National Treasure: Book of Secrets[/B] - As good as could be expected, or rather, very commercial
[B]Mr. Bean's Holiday[/B] - Better than I had expected, but still just okay
[B]Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters[/B] - Funny
[B]Employee of the Month[/B] - Lame; Andy Dick = Only redeeming quality
[B]Pi[/B] - Interesting
[B]Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels[/B] - Entertaining
[B]Go[/B]* - Fun
[B]Reefer Madness[/B]* - Classic
[B]Severance[/B] - Okay
[B]The Labyrinth[/B]* - Classic
[B]Hot Fuzz[/B] - Good, though somewhat long
[B]Trainspotting[/B] - Good
[B]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas[/B]* - Classic
[B]Little Miss Sunshine[/B] - Decent for an "indie"
[B]Ghost World[/B] - Good
[B]Matchstick Men[/B] - Good
[B]Panic[/B] - Meh
[B]The Lookout[/B] - Decent, though a better decent than Little Miss Sunshine
[B]Bandits[/B]* - Fun
[B]Reservoir Dogs[/B]* - Classic
[B]American History X[/B]* - Meh
[B]O Brother, Where Art Thou?[/B]* - Classic
[B]The Addams Family[/B]* - Classic
[B]Addams Family Values[/B]* - Good

*Indicates a repeat viewing; titles without asterisks were seen for the first time

Movie count so far: 28

Now, movies that have been mentioned already that I have seen in the past, and will most likely see again this year:

[B]Once Upon a Time in the West[/B] - Classic
[B]The History Boys[/B] - Not what I had expected, but good nonetheless
[B]300[/B] - Okay
[B]Time Bandits[/B] - Classic
[B]Shaun of the Dead[/B] - Good
[B]Forrest Gump[/B] - Classic
[B]Hero[/B] - Good[/COLOR]

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Shinmaru']Well, I wouldn't say I have difficulties suspending my disbelief with fiction (and, hell, I like anime too :P), but with Oldboy, it was a bit too much for me (as it should be when [spoiler]hypnosis is used as a plot device[/spoiler]).[/QUOTE]

Oldboy was amazing. I loved how everything was shot, and the storyline, too.

I don't think the hypnosis was a cop-out. It seemed like it fit pretty well with the story, considering [spoiler]eating an octopus whole and then passing out just doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would win a woman's heart.[/spoiler] Of course, I could be wrong, and this could be the problem with my approach to women. Maybe I should [spoiler]spend fifteen years in a hotel room, honing my martial arts skills and masturbating to pop videos.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Heaven's Cloud'][COLOR=INDIGO][b]3:10 to Yuma[/b] – One of the best western movies I have ever scene. Bale and Crowe both shine but the real treat is the under current of suspense that keeps building as the movie progresses.

[b]Shoot Em Up[/b] – This was a lame movie, but I think its lameness was intentional. The movie is more or less a satirical take on the modern day action flick, but it isn’t spoofy. Actually, I thought it was fun to watch once. Once.

[b]Chinatown[/b] – Film Noir at its best. This is a classic, the plot is interesting, and Jack Nicholson is incredible. If you haven’t seen this movie yet you should go rent it.[/color][/QUOTE]

Hell yes, 3:10 to Yuma. What an awesome flick. Have you seen the original?

I thought Shoot Em Up was actually pretty excellent. I don't know what it was that drew me to it- I just thought it was well done overall.