OtakuBoards

Bug Appetite

Raiha

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Apparently there's a push now among the slightly more guilty 'green' and anti 'global warming' crowd that are advocating commercialization and distribution of bugs as an alternative source of protein. Sprinkled on pasta they're apparently tangy and interesting.

Apparently they're better for you and better for the environment because they cost less to raise and don't produce all that methane that cows and pigs do. I don't personally think climate change from man is a viable issue but let's not talk about that please. Please.

The point is. Have you ever, or would you ever, eat bugs as a replacement meat source? I personally have been dared to eat crickets but the day I eat crickets is the day I'm starving in a cage somewhere in the jungle. Butter worms anyone? Flying ants? I hear those taste like wet pistachio nuts.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"]I never have eaten bugs and unless I had no choice... I would rather not. XP I know it's just because of how I was raised and I see bugs as something disgusting instead of a potential food source... But I'd still rather not try it. [/FONT]

[size=1][color=#4863A0]Actually I would. I lived in Maryland not too long ago and they have cicadas there every some odd amount of years. One of my friends dared me to eat one, so I said "Hey, what can it hurt."

I ate it and it actually tasted pretty good. Come to find out that many people in the more southern states on the east coast that do end up getting cicadas fry them and eat them as a delicacy. I thought that was pretty cool.

So yeah, I would eat them if it was going to help stop global warming or issues like that. The only bug I really don't think I'd have the cojones to eat would be a roach. I cannot stand those little buggers. They scare me to death and I'm not afraid of much.

Even though I'm not too worried about it global warming like you said, but who knows? So yeah, bring them to the table, and I'll eat it ^_^.[/size][/color]

[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial"]I'm up for trying new things, but I doubt I'd ever REPLACE meat completely with bugs...

But yeah. I've had crickets before. And a chocolate-covered scorpion, which in my opinion wasn't bad at all.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Hahaha... I'd rather not. XP It just sounds gross though I'm sure it's probably not that bad but still. Every time I see my silly dog eat a spider or something else crawling around outside... I just cringe. I suppose if I had no choice I would, but... yeah. No thanks. [/FONT][/COLOR]

I ate an ant once when I was like nine... But I don't really think it counts because it was a tiny one and I couldn't taste it.

But no, I have no interest in eating bugs nor do I care if they're tangy or taste like pistachio. Unless I was on Survivor or some crazy show, and eating bugs decided if I won a million bucks, there's no way I even want to touch them. (Heck, I would do it for as low as 100, but then that wouldn't be a reality show and I don't know too many people who would give me 100 dollars to eat a bug)

[color=crimson]Eh, I eat dead cows, pigs, chickens, and fish. Few bugs can't hurt.

My girlfriend hates all these wonderful things that she thinks are gross:

Okra (not even in jambalaya), Shellfish (including CRAWDAD :(), and Mushrooms (!).

Man, fried okra is the ****. Add a few crickets and I am sure it is that much better![/color]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I suppose if there was nothing else I could get use to it... but I'd just about rather turn into a vegetarian first. I know it's upbringing, my instinct to go... gross! But I don't find the idea of eating bugs all that appealing. XP[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Eh, I've eaten an ant once. I still prefer good ol' cow.
[/FONT]
[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Every time I see my silly dog eat a spider or something else crawling around outside... I just cringe. I suppose if I had no choice I would, but... yeah. No thanks. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Actually, that's a common misconception. You see, spiders are actually classified as arachnids. Therefore, eating one is not the same as eating an insect.

*shot, stabbed, mugged and beaten*

*in that order*

In other news, I could get used to this Comic Sans thing.[/FONT]

EDIT:
[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Hey, it worked for John the Baptist. :p[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]And look where that got him. On a silver platter minus most of him.:p

Okay, fine. That was for a completely different reason.[/FONT]

I suppose I might try it once just to see what bugs tasted like, provided they were roasted or something. I'd sooner pass though. Cultural upbringing and all - bugs are not food! XP I really don't want to find myself using the line: Tastes like chicken! [SIZE="1"][I]*shot*[/I][/SIZE]

I've eaten everything from Octopus, sheep stomach, and even those snails you see that wash up on shores of lakes. (Anyone from Korea please help me out with a name) So I'd eat bugs. As far as an alternate meat source? Nay I couldn't say I'd trade anything for a big juicy medium rare steak.....Okay now I'm drooling.

[FONT="Arial"]I can hardly even stand to look at bugs, so I can't even THINK about ever actually eating one. Besides, I'm already a vegetarian. In fact, I think I've gone meatless for about a year now. Awesome.

In a related topic, I was watching Ripley's Believe It Or Not the other day and some guy ate one thousand worms as part of the amazing people tour or whatever. All I could think was "HOW is that something to brag about?" That's not amazing, that's just absolutely disgusting.

"YOU JUST ATE 1,000 WORMS! How do you feel?!"
"Full."

Full, but not satisfied.[/FONT]

I think bugs logically should be replaced as a food source. For one, people generally don't like how they look so if we put them up a notch in our few chain there'll be less of them. For two if they really are such a good, easy source of protien and energy it'll be senseless not to use them

The only problem to this whole chain is human society. Most of us were raised thinking bugs were gross, so naturally we'll be less than enthusiatic about a smart decision. Also even if we wanted to break the pattern we'd still indirectly teach our children that bugs were gross, and stubborn people (not naming any specific groups here [SIZE="1"]though I'm tempted to[/SIZE]) would still not be able to wrap their mind around a good idea. We'd be too set in our old ways, such as thinking red meat means delicious and bugs are gross. It's useless to fight it, just like every other set cultural identity that we can't rid the world of no matter how hard we try.

Personally I ate a spider when I was 2, but I don't remember it. I always wanted to try chocolate-covered ants, and I never found eating bugs too big of a deal, it's just a part of the food chain. I've never been in a situation where bugs were an option, though, otherwise sure. If bugs are cheaper than cows that I'll definately order a plate of crickets before a steak. Over time, the economy will increase and all sorts of overlooked positive effects will overcome the costly and outdated old ways.

[quote name='DeathKnight'][COLOR=crimson]Eh, I eat dead cows, pigs, chickens, and fish. Few bugs can't hurt.

My girlfriend hates all these wonderful things that she thinks are gross:

Okra (not even in jambalaya), Shellfish (including CRAWDAD :(), and Mushrooms (!).

Man, fried okra is the ****. Add a few crickets and I am sure it is that much better![/COLOR][/quote]

[FONT=Arial]okay, I can understand how she might have a problem with mushrooms, but crawdads? okra? come on! I have yet to see the sale of any in Utah (then again I haven't gone out of my way to look either :P), but I had them quite a bit living in Georgia. okra too, but that was mostly because of the school cafeteria -- I think I'm the only one in my family who likes it. :catgirl:

I could maybe -- possibly -- perhaps if some sort of payment was involved -- see myself eating bugs. but I'd have to know EXACTLY what I was eating, and it would have to be spiced accordingly. I ain't eating bugs with just salt!

could you imagine being one of the cooks/chefs who get to taste-test in this potential area of pioneering territory? [/FONT][FONT=Arial]:tasty:[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][quote name='Aceburner'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Actually, that's a common misconception. You see, spiders are actually classified as arachnids. Therefore, eating one is not the same as eating an insect.

*shot, stabbed, mugged and beaten*

*in that order*[/FONT][/QUOTE]I didn't actually say spiders were bugs.. I said that it creeps me out when I see her eating stuff like that. Creepy crawlers in general whether it's technically a bug or not. There are cultures that eat them you know [[SIZE="1"]spiders[/SIZE]] in addition to bugs. So yes, you have now been...
[I][INDENT]*shot, stabbed, mugged and beaten*

*in that order*[/INDENT][/I][B][I]TWICE![/I][/B]

Oh and amibasuki, if you don't see okra being sold in Utah... Like you said you haven't been looking since it is around during the right season. My mom loves the stuff and grows her own during the summer too. Personally, I think the stuff is kind of gross. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"] Personally, I think the stuff is kind of gross. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I concur. However I am more put off by mustard greens. The smell. The bitter taste... OH GOD!

Here's a sign that the vegetables and greens might not be good for humans. Even BUGS won't infest them.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I concur. However I am more put off by mustard greens. The smell. The bitter taste... OH GOD!
[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]My mom likes those too... >_> Fortunately she doesn't try to make me eat them as well. Blech. [/FONT][/COLOR]

I would try bugs for the heck of it and maybe even eat them regularly just to see the amusingly grossed-out expressions on people's faces.:animesmil

And as long as we're talking about nasty foods...my uncle once tried to get me to eat, what was it...pickled peanuts? I dunno, but they were green, slimy, stinky little peanuts that had no business even existing. Luckily, I was sly enough to avoid that uncle when he was in the kitchen.

[SIZE="1"]And environmentalists wonder why regular people think they're weirdos...

Being a proud omnivore, I don't see myself trading in chicken and beef for crickets and roaches any time soon. I say we let to greenies try living on the diet for five to ten years as experimental data before they ask the rest of us to try it again.

Seriously, bugs, that's the best they could come up with as an alternative ?[/SIZE]

The answer is [U][B]NO[/B][/U], it is futile to try to get everyone to eat bugs because meat just taste so good. I just cant eat bugs, they taste horrible and are repulsive to look at. For those who eat bugs, more power to ya' but bugs just aint for me.

Also,....[U][B]WOULD YOU EAT THIS!?!?!?!?![/B][/U]

[IMG]http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/NIN1366.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Hakuna Matata, dude. It's be like spaghetti with legs.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]And fuzz.

........The only spaghetti with fuzz that I've come close to eating was the molded spaghetti I didn't look at before I started microwaving it. Opps.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"]

I don't eat meat much anyway (The occasional grilled chicken chunks on my salad, maybe some shrimp) so if bugs replaced meat, I don't think it would affect me much.

I work at Chick-fil-a, though, so I hope this doesn't happen because we'd go out of business.

[I]Welcome to Chick-fil-a, would you like to try our new Maggot Nuggets?[/I]

[/SIZE][/FONT]