OtakuBoards

How do you become an otaku moderator?

Lunar

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]You need to have good spelling and grammer, and a very good respect of the rules here, meaning, a good track record. But if you ask Admins to be a mod, you'll be less likely to become one.

Believe me, I want to become a moderator, but beggers can't be choosers. So just improve and improve and improve, and the possibility grows.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Just to reinforce what was already said, asking for a moderator position isn't the way to go. Your best bet is to just stay an active member, follow the rules here, and generally just participate on the boards. Then, when the need for another moderator arises, we'll be looking for members in good-standing who would be a good fit for the position and if you stand out for a good reason (for instance, you were generally very helpful to other members or always brought some very interesting points to a topic - these are just examples that I made up and don't represent any kind of real criteria used in selecting moderators by the way), you may be asked to fill the position.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Lady Asphyxia'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]I wish I knew. I've tried everything to become a moderator...I even tried to bribe Desbreko with sex, and it still didn't work. I did get this gold star, though. :p[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]O_O SO THAT EXPLAINS THE STAR... what would I get if I had a one night stand with him :confused:[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='CrimsonKnight'][COLOR="Red"]i like telling people what to do, but, how do become anotku moderator/[/COLOR][/QUOTE]This is why reading the [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/rules/OtakuBoards%3A%20Rules.html"][U]Rules[/U][/URL] and [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/faq.php?"][U]FAQ[/U][/URL] is a good thing CrimsonKnight. In the section of the FAQ titled [U]How Does OtakuBoards? Staff System Operate?[/U] You'll see that the last paragraph says this:
[INDENT]Do you want to become a moderator? The best avenue to take is ?don?t call us, we?ll call you.? Asking for a moderation position, no matter how persistent you are, will not enhance your chances of joining our staff. Post counts or join dates are not factors in determining staff. High quality posters are assigned staff positions if the need for their services is required.[/INDENT]
So go back to what you were doing and forget about it. If there is a need for staff it will be taken care of. Threads like this or asking about it won't even be considered at all when it comes to selecting someone to be staff.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]hey, it's not like i'm begging to be one. seriously, i wasn't asking, i'm just curious. i mean, i don't want to be on the site one day and something pops up and asks if i want to be a moderator, ya'know. the truth is i don't want to be one, i'm just wondering if you get paid- i mean if you had to work at the hq to be one. and don't snipe on my grammar:animeangr. as drizzt well knows, and other people who have read that particular thread...spelling words wrong hurts my eyes, so if i don't spell something right, don't be so hard on me, i may be in a rush. and, i'm not going to bribe you, like some people.......:animesmil[/COLOR]

Personally, just being a moderator would pay for itself with all the pride of being a being part of our lovley little OB community.:animesmil But I probably wouldn't want to be one since it sounds a little like too much work.:animesigh Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, mods. But anyway, I'll just continue to uphold my respect for mods and not think too much about becoming one. If I get an offer, sure, I'll accept. But it's not something I'll be wetting my bed in the middle of the night for. Sorry if that offends anyone...:animeswea

[FONT="Tahoma"]Aside from reading the rules, I have absoutely no idea how one becomes a moderator. I imagine it's a combination of things, starting with the current staff even needing additional help. If they do, then at that point I would surmise that they go a hunting for a member they think would do a good job.^^

It says in that bit that [COLOR="Indigo"]Indi[/COLOR] quoted that high quality posters are what they look for. I'm assuming that's someone who posts legibly, is friendly, doesn't lose their temper, is often helpful and so on. I'm just guessing though since I honestly don't know what they really look for. [/FONT]

[quote name='Sabrina'][FONT="Tahoma"]It says in that bit that [COLOR="Indigo"]Indi[/COLOR] quoted that high quality posters are what they look for. I'm assuming that's someone who posts legibly, is friendly, doesn't lose their temper, is often helpful and so on. I'm just guessing though since I honestly don't know what they really look for. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

Sounds like [I]you[/I] would make a good moderator! Seriously, you match perfectly into all of which you described!:o

[FONT=Arial]You two vacillate far too much for my tastes. It's like watchin' a schizophrenic thermometer. :p

But yeah, if you wanna know stuff, try lookin' in the rulebook and the FAQ first; chances are it's already there. And ain't nobody snipin' at ya. It's just that goin' around askin' about that kinda thing is usually a sign that ya wanna know for a reason.

That reminds me: do you two always come in pairs? :p[/FONT]

I have no idea, you just mind your own business and out of no where... POW! You get a pm asking you if you want to be a moderator. o_O And one of the conditions is that you have to be a willing slave to the system and accept being utterly humiliated if Des should chose to do so.

Oh and you get chained to the site... >_> I kid you not so you'd better be sure you really want it when you say yes to being asked! Des will only let you retire if he feels like it. Oh and [I]no[/I] we don't get paid. It's slavery. We're lucky to even get any food from time to time. =P

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']I have no idea, you just mind your own business and out of no where... POW! You get a pm asking you if you want to be a moderator. o_O And one of the conditions is that you have to be a willing slave to the system and accept being utterly humiliated if Des should chose to do so.

Oh and you get chained to the site... >_> I kid you not so you'd better be sure you really want it when you say yes to being asked! Des will only let you retire if he feels like it. Oh and [I]no[/I] we don't get paid. It's slavery. We're lucky to even get any food from time to time. =P[/QUOTE]

Sounds like big a** fun to me!:animesmil

[font=franklin gothic medium]Apart from what the rules/FAQ say, I can tell you that what I look for is very simple.

What I really like to see are good contributors - people who start interesting threads and who take initiative. If you're an active member of the community with decent quality posts you will have the best chance.

Of course, we have a limited number of spots for Moderators anyway. So...it's also a numbers thing. That's why I try to rotate staff a little bit here and there, to give fresher faces a go (although I haven't done this in a little while, admittedly).

There are other ways we try to recognise great members, too - especially through events like Nifty Fifty and such.

I guess the main thing is, if you are doing all the right things you should not think that it goes unnoticed.[/font] :catgirl:

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']I have no idea, you just mind your own business and out of no where... POW! You get a pm asking you if you want to be a moderator. o_O And one of the conditions is that you have to be a willing slave to the system and [B]accept being utterly humiliated if Des should chose to do so.[/B] [/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Deep down, you liked it and you know it.

Anyway, Sabrina summed it up nicely from what I've seen. There's also what James said about provoking discussion and starting interesting threads and whatnot. I imagine he would know, being the highest ranking frequent poster on the boards.[/FONT]

[size=1]Being the only active member of a forum [i]and[/i] being the only member at all who'd be willing to spend his time on sorting the Graphic Worm thread, that all helps a lot too.

But... What's this free will idea you speak of? [spoiler]Didn't you all just wake up with ball and chains in a creepy dungeon with only a computer?..[/spoiler]

We get a neat title. ^__^[/size]

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Boo][size=1]But... What's this free will idea you speak of? [spoiler]Didn't you all just wake up with ball and chains in a creepy dungeon with only a computer?..[/spoiler'][/size][/quote]I think you've hit it spot on.[FONT="Arial"]^^[/FONT] I know that's how it happened for me. The ball and chain was there when I signed in! o_O Not here of course, but still. It was rather startling until I checked my e-mail and found out why it was there. XP[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]All of these replies and not one person told them the truth. [I]*shakes head* [/I]

It's simple! You have to be a member of the Desbreko Fanclub! :D

Every single moderator, whether its in their signature or not is a member! Some like to pretend they are not, but we know better. =P [/FONT][/COLOR]