OtakuBoards

Music you particularly like or recommend.

Sara

I like music. Unfortunately, I'm not [i]familiar[/i] with a lot of music.

I do, however, have access to YouTube and about sixty dollars worth of iTunes giftcards. This is where you come in.

I want to know about songs you like. Not just the titles and artists, but your impressions of the songs?where you heard them, or when you discovered them, why you liked them, or why everyone should know and love this song.

[b]Songs, mostly, that you're passionate about.[/b] Or just really, really like. Or even songs that get stuck in your head every time you're in the canned vegetables section at the grocery store, and you want to share the pain.

They can be dramatic, lighthearted, parody, instrumental... any length, and any genre.

Convince me that they're worth listening to. I really want to know.

Some examples:
[quote]Okkervil River ? Seas Too Far To Reach

I really like Okkervil River. Some people don?t (presumably) because of the dude?s voice, but it works. Basically, it?s the most lovely and jolly rock and roll song about sex. I mean, obviously it?s far removed from ?I Wanna Be Your Dog,? but still. Just an enchanting song, and the ending where they break out into la?s while trumpets chime in? well, it?s wonderful. That?s actually the reason I put the song in. The ending. It makes me indescribably happy.[/quote]

[quote]"Sadie Hawkins Dance" by Relient K.
It's easy to smile when I hear this song.[/quote]

[quote]"Heartbeats" by Jose Gonzales.
So, uh, this song was featured on Scrubs. But that's not how I found it, I promise! I first heard it on the Bravia balls commercial. When I first saw the commercial, I watched it probably ten times in a row, entranced by the colors and the beauty of the video... and then I kept it playing in the background because I fell in love with the song.[/quote]

[quote]The National ? Secret Meeting

I mean? I love the song. It?s got a nice drum beat, ringing guitar interplay, and vocals that probably aren?t that great, but I love them anyway. I just don?t know why this song is here, on this mix that was intended to be the antithesis to the ?gloom & doom? mix I made. And The National are pretty much one of the gloomiest bands around. But whatever. I love the song, the band, the album.[/quote]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][CENTER]I really like the song [U]God Diva[/U] by Akira Takarano. It's on the soundtrack for .hack//ROOTS, and it's on youtube if you're interested.
I like it because it starts out in a very classical way, and then it gets creepy and techno-ish. It gets stuck in my head all the time, even though I don't know the words. I'll just hum the melody.[/CENTER][/FONT]

[SIZE="1"][B]Damien Rice - Volcano, Cannonball, and Rootless Tree[/B]
These are three of my all-time favorite songs. I don't know where my musical taste would be without Mr. Rice. I almost didn't pick up his CD because of one bad song.
But, okay, I'm a sucker for lyrics, acoustics, and accents... Fortunately, the Irish singer mostly plays acoustic with absolutely brilliant lyrics. :D
And if you're a Radiohead fan, he did a cover for Creep that gives me the chills every time I hear it.

[B]Elliott Smith - A Fond Farewell and Son of Sam[/B]
IDK why I like him... Really all of his songs are great, but those are my favorites. I like his voice too!

[B]Iron & Wine - Boy With A Coin[/B]
I love this band. Anytime I listen to them, I'm instantly calmed. The only downside: Most of their songs are indistinguishable. :( A lot of them sound the same, which is why I like Boy With A Coin. It's one of their most upbeat and different songs. It's just soothing music.

[B]John Vanderslice - Exodus Damage[/B]
John Vanderslice is a great artist on his own. He resembles Damien Rice and Elliott Smith with his own folk twist on the music. (Plus his voice is way different) But this song always gets me because it's about 9/11.
"So the second plane hit at 9:02
Saw it live on a hotel TV
Talking on my cell with you..."
It tends to be focused on rhyming... A lot, but it's such a beautiful song, I don't mind. (Also, be warned, the chorus is a bit strange)

[B]mewithoutYou - Messes of Men[/B]
This is definitely one of the most unique bands I've ever heard, but I'll only recommend this one song for you because a lot of people don't like them... Pure and simple. The singer, Aaron Weiss, talks through a lot of his lyrics (not like William Shatner, he has melody. And he does sing) Last time I brought them up, I got bashed for liking them.
This song alone has so many great lyrics in them. The entire album is about the singer's overcoming depression and thoughts of suicide. It's talking about the troubles he faces every day. The only bad thing about this song: It's over very quickly and then it goes into an instrumental
"You caught me making eye
At the other boatmen's wives
And heard me laughing louder
At the jokes told by their fathers.
I'd set my course for land
But you well understand
It takes a steady hand
To navigate adulterous waters."

[B]Paper Rival - Cassandra[/B]
This song is the most contemporary-sounding of the group. They're a very indie band who has obvious influences from country (although they don't sound like country, so don't let that effect you at all) and folk music.
In this song, you can definitely hear a bit of 60's influence in there. And the song is just pretty. It's about finding self peace. It's really good.

If you like those, you should definitely look at some these too:
[B]Pedro the Lion
R.E.M
Neutral Milk Hotel
Radiohead
Ray LaMontagne
Coldplay
Rocky Votolato
Rufus Wainright
Sea Wolf
Spoon
Sufjan Stevens
Rilo Kiley[/B]

I basically pulled up the best from my iTunes list. I couldn't give explanations on all of them. (as you can see) Have fun listening![/SIZE]

[font=trebuchet ms] If you like the bands that Darren suggested, like REM, Damien Rice, Coldplay, (maybe even Radiohead), you'll probably like the band [b]Wilco[/b].

Though I have to say Shame on You to Darren for reccing Damien Rice but excluding the songs [i]The Blower's Daughter[/i] and [i]Delicate[/i]. ;)[/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] If you like the bands that Darren suggested, like REM, Damien Rice, Coldplay, (maybe even Radiohead), you'll probably like the band [b]Wilco[/b].

Though I have to say Shame on You to Darren for reccing Damien Rice but excluding the songs [i]The Blower's Daughter[/i] and [i]Delicate[/i]. ;)[/font][/QUOTE]
Actually, I thought about putting it up there... But I didn't want to go over the top with Damien Rice Fandom. (And to be honest, The Blower's Daughter is seriously my 4th fave after those three)

But yes, Wilco would be good. I haven't listened to them in ages... Time to go listen.

(And to Sara, I just noticed your signature... Haha, brilliant)

[font=trebuchet ms]Thanks for the suggestions!

I listened to [b]Darren[/b] and [b]Lunox[/b]'s recommended Damien Rice songs, and I enjoyed them. I especially enjoyed "The Blower's Daughter," so I'm happy that Lunox called Darren out on that one, haha. I like that "bare" sound... it seems very low-tech, and very honest, just guitar and voice.

Right now I'm listening to "God Diva," and, [b]Lady Aura[/b], I'm impressed that you can keep track of the melody well enough to hum it! Your description of classical/techno-creepy fits it better than I expected. That's [i]exactly[/i] how I would describe it. Oh—and it just ended. I'm kind of disappointed that it didn't keep going on for longer.[/font]

[SIZE=1]I wouldn't actually [i]take[/i] my recommendation, 'cause apparently I listen to a pile of crap. But I like these songs so check them out if you want something a bit more... err... maybe gritty's the word?

[B]Chinese Takeaway - The Adicts[/B]
It's a really funny song. And upbeat. I think it shows off the attitude of the era and has a great feeling to it. The lyrics aren't very meaningful or deep - it's just carefree rubbish. It's a nice tune, haha.

[B]Curtain Call - The Damned[/B]
Long song but it really messes with your head a bit. I think it's when the Damned where in this sort of psychedelic stage, it's from the Black Album so I wouldn't really dispute that. It's long, as well, but kinda has a bit of feeling to it and a good start.

[B]Anarchy in the UK - Sex Pistols[/B]
They're crap. Crap morals, bit stupid, really hypocritical - good music. Packs a punch and a really good attitude... I mean, it's the Sex Pistols. You know it.

[B]Rebel Without a Brain - Theatre of Hate[/B]
This song actually creeps me out a bit... not the best vocals... but it's still a definite favourite, for no particular reason at all. Great lyrics, though granted you can't actually make out most of them because of the voice being a bit odd.

[B]Brighton Bomb - Angelic Upstart[/B]
I really like Angelic Upstart, and I really like this song because it's acoustic and chilled out, with a deeper meaning of course. The guitar is my favourite instrument in it - so simple, yet so cool.

[B]Facades of Reality - Epica[/B]
Definitely a must hear. Not punk or anything silly like that... in fact I'm not sure what they are. Like a mix of opera with violins and guitars. This song is really, really epic, hence the band name. In fact, Epica have a few good songs (Last Crusade comes to mind as well). They're pretty long songs as well, if you like that kind of stuff. And the vocals are brilliant - complete with a random goth guy adding his little growl =p.

[B]The Impression That I Get - Mighty Mighty Bosstones[/B]
These guys rock and everyone knows it. The song is pretty upbeat and has a really catchy tune, while also having some great lyrics. I love the vocals in it and the fact that it's ska-core. Can't beat a bit of ska-core.

[B]When I'm Gone - Eminem[/B]
Lovely. Lovely lyrics, respectable song for a rapper. Same with the song Mockingbird.

That's all I got. The first few are in a long list of old bands I like, but I refrained from listing them because they are, frankly, a bit crap and not many people like them. If you're into that sort of stuff though (silly vocals, crappy guitars, but a pack full of attitude and... well, punk-ness), I'd recommend [B]the Damned[/B], [B]the Adicts[/B], [B]Anti-Pasti[/B], [B]Crass[/B] and [B]Chaotic Discord[/B]. Don't say I didn't warn you though.

Maybe you'd like [B]Baby Shambles[/B], or [B]the Editors[/B], [B]Muse[/B] or [B]No Doubt[/B] if that's more up your road. To be completely honest, I do have silly music taste, haha XD[/SIZE]

[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=cF0DYmm1W_0][b]"Just Like Honey"[/b] by [b]The Jesus and Mary Chain[/b][/url]. If you've seen [b]Lost in Translation[/b], this is the song that plays over the credits. Basically everything I love about music is in this song. Just simple, soothing music, although the style might take a few seconds to get used to, I don't know. I love it, though; whenever I hear the melody, it makes me want to go outside on a sunny day and fall in love.

[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=A0v3wpK80iY][b]"Turkey Crossing"[/b] by [b]Curve[/b][/url]. The song that made me a diehard Toni Halliday fan. I adore the attitude she puts forth in her singing -- just the right amount of sarcasm, and she masks it with her gorgeous voice so that whoever's on the receiving end of it wouldn't know what the hell hit him. <3 Toni Halliday.

[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=pHf7deW9L9Y][b]"From Her to Eternity (1987)"[/b] by [b]Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds[/b][/url]. Definitely has to be the live version from 1987, because it's leaps and bounds better than the album version. This is one of the creepiest songs I've ever heard, because Nick Cave is so intense and deranged, and he grows more unhinged as the song progresses. The music goes along so well with the story; it pounds away behind Cave's voice and ratchets up at all the right moments.

That's all I have for now. :P

EDIT: Now with YouTube evidence! The Nick Cave song isn't complete, but there's enough of the song there to get the basic idea. At the very least, you'll know whether you like it after listening to it, haha.

[quote name='Sara'][font=trebuchet ms]
Right now I'm listening to "God Diva," and, [b]Lady Aura[/b], I'm impressed that you can keep track of the melody well enough to hum it! Your description of classical/techno-creepy fits it better than I expected. That's [i]exactly[/i] how I would describe it. Oh—and it just ended. I'm kind of disappointed that it didn't keep going on for longer.[/font][/QUOTE]

[CENTER][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]I've listened to it many more times than I can count, and I've fallen asleep to it a few times. ^^; Maybe that's why.

I'm currently learning the Japanese lyrics to it. I have about... half of the song memorized.

Edit: If you like [U]God Diva[/U], you should listen to [U]Junkyosha No Yubi[/U]. It's also by Akira Takarano. It also has that creepy techno sound to it.[/FONT][/CENTER]

[CENTER][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]Songs I Enjoy

[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][LEFT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]I Hear the Bells by Mike Doughty
[/B]I love this song because of the drums in the background. I walk along the footpath with this song on my iPod and it's so lovely and vibrant and makes me cheerful. It's upbeat and uplifting without being ridiculously perky.

[B]Music Box by Regina Spektor
[/B]One word: Quirky. I love the absolutely quirkiness of this song, and the highs and lows of the register, and the changes in rhythm and sudden pauses and changes. It's lovely.

[B]Umbrella by Biffy Clyro
[/B]Yes, this is a cover of [I]Rhianna's [/I]song, but the guy who sings it just makes it fantastic. His voice is quite husky and sounds mature, and instead of being ridiculously poppy, the song takes on a new meaning.

[B]Same Jeans by The View
[/B]Ignoring the hygiene issues raised by wearing the same jeans for four days, the song is wonderful. It's upbeat and full of a 'I don't care what other people think' sentiment. Definately a new favourite.

Also, if you like the bottom two songs and you can find the album on iTunes (I've never used it so I wouldn't know), I'd recommend checking out Radio 1's Live Lounge CDs. They have well known bands come in and do covers of other hits (the Arctic Monkeys redid 'Love Machine'...which if you know the words, is quite funny and silly).
[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[quote name='Vicky'][SIZE=1]I wouldn't actually [i]take[/i] my recommendation, 'cause apparently I listen to a pile of crap. But I like these songs so check them out if you want something a bit more... err... maybe gritty's the word?[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

You don't listen to crap. Of those songs, the ones that I've heard of are on my iPod. I like them very much!

Particular songs.. Hrm. The ones in particular that dragged me into total and complete fan-dom would be...

Edit: LOL@Wall-of-text, sorry. :p

[B]March of Mephisto - by Kamelot[/B]

Reason:
This song provides all the sinister feeling of death/goth metal, with the sophistication of true storytelling. It's easy to find yourself drawn into it, expressing *perfectly* the scene the band was trying to convey.

Info:
Before this song, I really had no interest in music produced internationally. While Kamelot is originally a U.S. band, and english speaking at that, I'd never heard of them. I caught a clip of this song during a car ride with a friend, and was instantly hooked. It was all I was looking for in metal, and the only band to provide it since Savatage. A year later, and I have purchased every album the band has ever put out and listen to them on a regularly basis. If you enjoy this song, check out some of their other songs.. such as [B]The Human Stain[/B], [B]Soul Society[/B], and [B]When The Lights are Down[/B].

[B]The Chosen Ones - by Dream Evil[/B]

Reason:
This song is very easy to get hooked on. It has awesome vocal work, incredible guitar riffs, and total epic feeling - in a simplistic way. Truly a masterpiece, and a classic of the metal Genre.

Info:
Admittedly the cheesiest, corniest, and out of date/repetitive band on the face of the earth, I still find Dream Evil to be a very good listen. Much like Dragonforce, their songs get stuck on similar themes; however, unlike Dragonforce each song has at least some semblance to a unique sound. The Chosen Ones is an early work of theirs, however it carries true 'depth' as a metal-masterpiece. Other songs by Dream Evil worth the time: [B]Evilized[/B], [B]Into The Moonlight[/B], and [B]The End[/B].

[B]Dress - COVERED by Abingdon Boys School[/B]

Reason AND Info:
Yes, it's a cover of a BUCK-TICK song; however, while searching through youtube for Innocent Sorrow (D.Gray-man OP1) guitar covers by the same band, I ran into this little gem. They took a classic buck-tick song, and made it so much more. They added a heavy sound that buck-tick was missing, drove the vocals through the roof, and took my heart with them. Other songs by a.b.s worth listening to: [B]Lost Reason (Feat. MICRO from HMK)[/B], [B]Innocent Sorrow[/B], and [B]Nephilim[/B].

One more, more of a guilty pleasure and personal favorite....

[B]Discord - by UVERworld[/B]

Reason:
Discord combines rock, metal, pop, and hiphop style all into one tight little package, and delivers on all fronts. I got hooked on this song, and still to date find myself throwing it on no matter what mood I'm in; it just makes you feel good.

Info:
I originally started listening to UVERworld just after I caught Colors of the Heart on the opening of Blood+ and Dtechno-life on Bleach; but it wasn't until I got my hands on Discord that I truly took a liking, a love, and a favoritism to UVERworld's music. The way they combined pop, rock, metal, and complete unique style made them quickly my favorite above *any* other artist I had ever heard. Other songs by UVERworld that flat out own: [B]Colors of the Heart[/B], [B]Sora[/B], [B]Ukiyo Crossing[/B] and [B]Tobira[/B]. Oh, and [B]Gekidou[/B] / [B]Just Break the Limit![/B]. Yeah.

I hope this helps a little bit. Sometimes finding these bands on iTunes blows chunks, but there are always 'other' methods.

[color=crimson]If you want to feel:

Positive (happy, energetic, horny, etc.) -

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC8-b2KXU44]Another Postcard by Barenaked Ladies[/url] - a song regarding chimpanzees and the postal system. Melodious! Harmonious! A sing along favorite for you and your chimpanzee, buy now! [alt rock]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asdN1jJw4EE]Walkie Talkie Man by whoever the hell it is by[/url] - Actually, looking at youtube, it is by Steriogram which is a band comprised of young lads from Auckland, New Zealand. The video is quite a yarn with hijinks and monsters. ENJOY IT. [alt rock]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBt_AoYjGg0]Blue Song by Mint Royale[/url] - "I ain't got the blues no more I said" the song said, so if you don't have the blues no more, or so you say, this song is a perfect match for that mood. Big beats typify Mint Royale and this song has a really rockin' beat. [electronica]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GSpbuFSr2o]Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) covered by Stevie Ray Vaughan[/url] - as a self respecting Texan, I have the utmost adoration for Stevie Ray Vaughan who has his own statue in our state capital. I don't know if iTunes would have this cover on it and it would be a real shame if it didn't, but it is worth a listen at least once. With respect to Jimi Hendrix, SRV is as rocking as he ever was. [blues rock, rock]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9MCbsdCLhI]Starry SkyxCheck it OutxTechnologic by CapsulexBeastie BoysxDaft Punk[/url] - Capsule is an excellent shibuya-kei band in general, but for first timers I usually point to this excellent mash up of Starry Sky by Capsule, Check it Out by the Beastie Boys, and Technologic by Daft Punk. [rap, electronica]

Neutral -

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20EoytEITtQ]Sugarless Girl by Capsule[/url] - Since you OBVIOUSLY watched the first video, you're not a first timer anymore. I don't think this song is overtly positive or negative, I feel hints of both in it but it is catchy nonetheless. Knowing japanese is not required, humming suffices. [electronica]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdvdgeGdnDg]Shere Khan by Aesop Rock[/url] - Aesop is dope, but this song in particular has a very slick, suave feeling to it when you listen to it. Given the title, I imagine in particular a stalking cat when I hear it, haha. [rap]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx6FV2qR2TY]Electric Worry by Clutch[/url] - Oh ****, Clutch. I ****ing love Clutch. Anyway, this is down south rock at its very peak as far as I am concerned. Clutch gets very little press for how excellent EVERY SINGLE ALBUM from the earlier nineties has been. Plus, this has a harmonica solo so thumbs up to that. [hard rock]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldPf3yqq3-8]Sogno ad Occhi Aperti by Giovanni Sollima[/url] - another song I doubt is on iTunes, but very beautiful. Aching, almost - like if you saw the blue waters of the ocean suddenly open up and all those azure jewels began to fall away into the abyss. Not negative, but yearning and reaching. [cellist solo]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PZRkDJh1xw]Shempi by Ratatat[/url] - Definitely is on iTunes since I purchased it a couple of days ago. Evoking memories of Daft Punk and the baroque period (lovely organ), this is a very good song to put on while driving to show everyone else during rush hour just how hopping you are (I know you do it). [electronica]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SPjPGeYlMU]Secret Wars by Last Emperor[/url] - Excellent scheme presented by the Last Emperor who raps about a tournament between Stan Lee's comic book crew and notable MCs from the hip hop world. Best part? Doctor Octopus vs. Busta Rhymes by far. [rap]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBvaHZIrt0o]Remind Me by Royksopp[/url] - Made famous by that Geico commercial, or not, this song is actually probably one of the most mellow songs I've heard in awhile. The guy sounds sad, but kind of a resigned sad. The beat is not oppressive or overwhelming, but compliments his tone absolutely. [electronica]

Negative (sad, apathetic, alone) -

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r0KpWMNxnM]Uncommon Valor by Jedi Mind Tricks[/url] - I think this is the most depressing rap song I have heard in my life. Vinnie Paz from Jedi Mind Tricks and R.A. the Rugged Man present a very harsh song about the Vietnam War. Rugged Man's part in particular is very depressing since it is the story of his own father and the effects of the war on him, including Agent Orange. [rap]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDg-Mwdn48]Stanlow by Jesu[/url] - Jesu is my favorite band. I have listened to probably days of Jesu looping and shuffling in the background through speakers attached to computers or cars as I go about my business. I like Jesu because it speaks to my pain and I think everyone needs a band or song that speaks to their pain. Something that when you listen to the lyrics and the overall mood of the song, you know what that is - you've felt that, you've been there. There are very few Jesu songs on youtube that are not bad live takes and I am not sure if they are on iTunes, but cest la vie. [jesu]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9FT-YEvEJk]When It's Cold I'd Like to Die by Moby[/url] - A mouthful of a title, but Moby's earlier music was actually his best. I think that, if you are sad and you really want to wallow in it, this song would probably be the perfect pool of mud to slump yourself into. [pop?]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jN5vqEyV7g]Death Letter by Son House[/url] - This is a throwback, haha. Covered by the White Stripes in half their videos on youtube it feels like, but, as rocking as the White Stripes are, just listen to Son House's voice, man. That's true blues. [blues]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TupIpbtR7IQ]The Mariner's Revenge by The Decemberists[/url] - probably the catchiest revenge song I've heard, this is a tale, a long tale, regarding two gentlemen in the belly of a whale and the coincidences, or not, of their meeting and current position. [indie]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wMGyfxZPWo]Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event by Deftones[/url] - Probably the least commercial post-2001 Deftones song they've put out. No more gold lights/for the Queen Earth/to keep you warm/in your Kingdoms/High on the waves/you made for us/but not/since you left/ have the waves come. [indie]

Finally, for now since I've spent half an hour listening to these songs, is [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAnyYTjjhJ0]Coin Operated Boy by the Dresden Dolls[/url] - I can't really relate to wanting a coin operated boy or the point of view presented, but the song is both wonderful and appalling at the same time. The music video is a humorous enough though, haha. [indie]

Yeah, have at it.[/color]

[B][SIZE=1]It's You [/SIZE][/B][SIZE=1]by [B]The Littlest Man Band [/B]- TLMB are like nothing I've ever heard before. Basically a sort of acoustic pop-rock outfit (guitar, bass, drums, piano) but with horns added in for good effect. They're really fun to listen to, but I especially like this song, as the guitar rhythm combined with the quirky, fun vocals just make me feel good. Also check out [B]Always Sayin' [/B]and [B]Drunk Again [/B]if you can find them.

[B]Drinkin' For 11 [/B]by [B]The Mad Caddies [/B]- nice little melodious ska number. It just reminds me of one of the best summers I ever had, and can make me smile no matter what, even with the slightly depressing lyrics. Actually, if I'm listing songs that remind me of summer, then [B]This Velvet Glove [/B]by [B]The Red Hot Chili Peppers [/B]is really good as well - when the backing vocals come in during the second verse, it never fails to send shivers down my spine.

[B]One Step Beyond [/B]by [B]Madness [/B]- the first "cool" song I ever learnt to play on my saxophone, and I play it a lot. Just fun and upbeat, really good to dance around to (and no irritating lyrics to learn, either!)

[B]Invincible [/B]by [B]Muse [/B]- if you can get hold of the live version of this song, I really recommend it. The song is just so epic to listen to, and the guitar solo made me want to weep the first time I ever heard it. I didn't, obviously, because I'm a manly man, but I wanted to.

[B]Trains [/B]by [B]Porcupine Tree - [/B]really cool, mellow song going a little heavier later on. Incredible vocals on it, lyrics are a little nonsensical, but you can forgive them of that. Pretty haunting stuff, for the most part.

[B]Everything Goes Numb [/B]by [B]Streetlight Manifesto [/B]- more ska, I'm afraid, and don't even try to sing along with this one. The vocals are incredibly fast, but the composition of horns and rhythm is really technical, but not to the extent that it sounds messy. It's just really well put together, I guess.

[B]I'm In Love With My Car [/B]by [B]Queen [/B]- one of the lesser-known songs, which always amazes me for one very good reason - I am always impressed by a drummer who can sing while playing the drums. Roger Taylor does an excellent job in this song.

[B]The Real Me [/B]by [B]The Who - [/B]as a bassist, I love songs with great basslines, and very few of them even come close to this one. It's almost inaudible at some points due to crummy mixing, but when you hear it, you know you're hearing one of the masters of bass. The Ox at his finest, and I think perhaps the best tribute to his work that you can find.

[B]The Enemy [/B]by [B]You Me and the Enemy - [/B]this one's a little more obscure, as the band were never signed, but you can download it for free off their MySpace, and I believe it may be on iTunes somewhere as well. Really, unbelievably funky, with young Aretha Franklin-esque female vocals on as well. Makes me feel glad to be alive.

These are just those that I can think of right now - I will probably add more some other time. Hope you like at least some of them!
[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][B]45 - Shinedown: [/B]A song about suicide, it's Shinedown's best imo. My brother is the person who showed me this song. He tried committing suicide once, so he doesn't like it anymore, but I do.

[B]Wake Up - Coheed and Cambria: [/B]Pure love song. Basic, yet to me, sublime. It's the whole 'I'd do anything for you' shabang, and it hits well. Definitely a song I cry to lol.

[B]10,000 Days - Tool:[/B] In dedication to Maynard James Keenan's mother
Marie, the song is about her fight with disease. It's a good song, starting slow than heavy, than it ends with a little poetic verse. It's dedicated to his late mother, so it means something.

[B]Crossing the Frame - Coheed and Cambria:[/B] This song is catchy, the chorus, the beginning the end. It's Poppier than some of the songs on the list, but it's still a fun song to listen to.

[B]The Light and the Glass - Coheed and Cambria:[/B] A good song, very soft until the end where it ends in chanting of 'Pray for us' which is just brilliant. The song starts off happy, than transcends into the last few minutes with a sadder feel to it. Definitely the song on this list I recommend MOST.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[font=trebuchet ms]Geeze [i]Louise[/i], there's no way I can keep up with these posts. I was going to give my reactions to songs as I listened to them, but there is no way for me to listen to everything that's been posted in a timely manner. I am thrilled about all of your recommendations! I also encourage anyone else interested to listen to and post their responses to the songs given in this thread. It's more fun if more people participate.

[b]Darren[/b], there are a few artists on your "abridged" (descriptionless) list that I've just started listening to due to a recommendation (and a couple mix CDs) I got as a response to a very similar request. So I've heard a couple songs by [i]Neutral Milk Hotel[/i], [i]Spoon[/i], and [i]Radiohead[/i], but only recently. I do like them, though. I also like Rufus Wainwight... I don't know a lot of his stuff, but (like a lot of people, I think), I fell in love with his voice after hearing him sing [i]Hallelujah[/i] in [i]Shrek[/i] and hunted around for more songs by him. Haha.

I'm listening to [i]Cassandra[/i] right now, and I enjoy it. It's sort of mellow and a bit haunting at the same time. Thanks for mentioning it.

[b]Vicky[/b]: of your recommendations that I listened to, I think I like [i]Façade of Reality[/i] best. The contrast of the sort of operatic vocals to the rest of the song (and the angry growling!) is just neat. I really enjoyed [i]The Impression That I Get[/i], too. It's just plain fun. (I [i]did[/i] listen to the songs in the first half of your post, I swear... These couple toward the end just clicked with me better.)
[/font]

I haven't listened to them a whole lot lately, but there's no band I'm more attached to than [B]Hum[/B]. They were a hugely powerful group that, despite having a pretty accessible sound and a big hit single in 1995 with "Stars", never got nearly the recognition that I and many others think they deserved. So all my recommendations for this post will be Hum songs.

I spent about half an hour trying to accurately and concisely describe my feelings on the first song, to no avail. I know that's the kind of thing you're looking for in this thread, Sara, but sadly I think all I can really do is give some cursory information about each song as far as things you might want to pay particular attention to.

[B]I Hate It Too[/B] ([URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=-PTRYkPBirE"]YouTube[/URL]) ([URL="http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Hum/I-Hate-It-Too.html"]lyrics[/URL])
Deals with frontman Matt Talbot's struggles with alcohol and relationshi--no, don't scroll past yet! I know they're worn-out rock tropes, but I promise there's nothing overwrought or cliched about how he handles the topics.

[B]If You Are To Bloom[/B] ([URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=5leudffkWjY"]YouTube[/URL]) ([URL="http://www.musicsonglyrics.com/H/humlyrics/humifyouaretobloomlyrics.htm"]lyrics[/URL])
This song is about Talbot's son, who died shortly after birth. It's completely heartwrenching. Also a good example of his talent for layering guitars.

[B]Stars[/B] ([URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rfbn3ieVUYU&feature=related"]YouTube[/URL]) ([URL="http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Hum/Stars.html"]lyrics[/URL])
Hum's one hit, which was apparently obnoxiously popular back in the day. It's not as emotionally taxing as the stuff above, but the imagery is still vivid, and the music is... pretty huge. The video, like all of theirs that I've seen, fails to convey any of that, so do yourself a favor and just listen.

[Font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]For those who like their musical tastes a little varied out of the rock genre, I can recommend anything by [B]Nujabes[/B] very highly. Very funky hip hop beats, but it isn't plagued by a lot of lyrical content. It's very relaxing to listen to actually. I like it as a nice diversion from the screaming metal I often listen to.

Fans of 90s alternative rock would enjoy anything by [B]Weezer[/B]. I've been listening to a lot of their music recently and falling in love with it all over again. Some tracks I would recommend are [I]Island in the Sun, Undone (the sweater song), El Scorcho, Buddy Holly, Perfect Situation, Say it Ain't So, and My Name is Jonas.[/I] I haven't listened to much of the newest album, but I do love this band.[/Font]

Stay - Cradle of Filth.
The song is Only On the Harder, Darker, Faster Thornography Album (Which is on itunes.) It isn't Like any other Cradle song. But that is probably because it is a cover of the Shakespeare Sisters. Very Good Song.

Nemo - Nightwish
It's Nightwish, so it's bound to be good.

Ghost Opera - Kamelot
Great song, Symphonic power metal.

I'm Really Not good at Describing Music...

I'm trying to listen to everything everyone's throwing out there right now -- SRV doing "Voodoo Chile" is great, and I always wanted to get into Hum, so thanks to John for that. :)

A couple more recommendations from me:

[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=aBRhwWDzJ_c][b]Gloria[/b] by [b]Patti Smith[/b][/url]. Pretty amazing cover of the great [b]Them[/b]/[b]Van Morrison[/b] song. Actually, it's not as much a cover as it is a complete rewriting of the song -- Patti redid the lyrics entirely, aside from the chorus, which is much more gender-bending when sung by her lol. I think my favorite thing about the song is the pure energy of it -- I feel it from my head to the tips of my toes whenever I listen to the song. This is a classic and deserves to be listened to by everybody.

[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=s7IP7Rtla2A][b]Girlfriend is Better[/b] by [b]Talking Heads[/b][/url]. If you don't already listen to [b]Talking Heads[/b], Sara, then you should because I'm pretty sure you would love them. This is my favorite [b]Talking Heads[/b] tune, from their concert movie [b]Stop Making Sense[/b]. It's so catchy and funky, and I love how absurd the song is overall.

• 2 months later...
There are so many songs I'm passionate about, but for the sake of time I'll just start with a few that stand out.

[B]"The Glass Prison" - Dream Theater[/B]
The First part of an ongoing suite written by drummer Mike Portnoy about his rehabilitation from alcoholism and dedicated to Bill W of AA. The song is broken down into three parts, with a build up and fast instrumental intro followed by the main body of the song, then a prolonged instrumental section trading back and forth guitar and keyboard solos before reaching it's conclusion (accompanied by the sound of glass shattering). A song that perfectly encapsulates the Dream Theater style.

[B]"Xanadu" - Rush[/B]
Inspired by the poem [I]Kubla Kahn[/I] by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, about a man's quest for a mythical place known as Xanadu. The song begins with a slowly building 5 minute instrumental section before transitioning into the narrative.
I had a professor who loved the original poem, so I have read it, and I feel Rush's music enhances the experience. This song is a true classic.
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH_PPzcpeBw"]Here's a video of them playing the song live, with a couple of minutes shaved off the intro.[/URL]

[B]"Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" - Porcupine Tree[/B]
My favorite PT song. It combines all three elements they play with: atmospherics, rock, and metal. I'm not quite sure what the lyrics are about, since they like to stay mostly vague and allow the listener to make their own conclusions. To me, it sounds like a song about turning points in people's lives, not ending up where you expected to be.

[B]"Hands" - Everon[/B]
An upbeat rock song about the many things hands can do, from writing a book, pulling the trigger of a gun, building a house, to holding a loved one. Just a wonderfully infectious melody.

• 2 months later...
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="1"]Before I go through my iPod and post about a million different examples, how do you feel about Old School video game music? Like Nintendo, Sega Genesis stuff. I for one am madly in love with it, but I know not a lot of people usually turn that stuff on their mp3 players and rock their heads (like I do regularly)... . _.

But I double Korey's [b]Nujabes[/b], and as for a sample, [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlmGz8UHkVk"]Imaginary Folklore[/URL] should do nicely as an example of what to expect with 'em. A lot of his stuff has lyrics, but a good amount of them are just chillin' instrumental tracks.

And just a taste of one of my favorite Genesis soundtracks...

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y59Co7VjvVk"]Streets of Rage 2 - "In the Bar"[/URL]] is pretty funky, if you like it, I'm pretty sure you'd like most of the other songs on the soundtrack.

Enjoy what you will, I have tons more in my reserve. :)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]