OtakuBoards

3 years coming.

Drizzt Do'urden

I had an idea and would like to get the word out about it. On Saturday, September 27 I would like to try an arrange for all active Otaku members to get on at the same time. Setting the new "currently active users". I was reading and the current is 3059 set in april of 2005.

I don't have an official count, but I'm sure there are more members now than then. I would like to get an okay from mods/admins to make this an official attempt. I had thought that 12:00 P.M. (noon) EST (Eastern Standard Time) would be a good time for it.

Please let anyone you know who is/was a member about this attempt. Three years is a long time gone, let's bring out the otaku spirit, and show everyone exactally how many anime/manga/Role-playing/art/BS fanatics we have!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Considering that we're somewhat low-traffic these days, I'm pretty sure the only way we have a prayer of pulling this off is if we get Adam to announce it over at TheO. There are upsides and downsides to this, the obvious being the negative and positive aspects of a sudden surge of people with an interest in OB flooding in and posting. Having that much traffic would totally be awesome, but I wouldn't envy our wonderful mods in that kind of situation.

Still, I think it's a cool idea and I'll drop it by Adam if I get the chance.[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Having that much traffic would totally be awesome, but I wouldn't envy our wonderful mods in that kind of situation.[/FONT][/QUOTE][size=1]If anyone can pull off getting 3050 people online (besides, they do not have to be members), the mods can pull off moderating. Clearly we rock and besides, we have a secret weapon or two.[/size]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]If anyone can pull off getting 3050 people online (besides, they do not have to be members), the mods can pull off moderating. Clearly we rock and besides, we have a secret weapon or two.[/size][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]*readies his weapons*

Neat idea, Drizzt. Reminds me of one of those flash mob sort of things. Now what are said members going to do when they arrive here? Is it just a log on, log off sort of thing?[/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"][quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Still, I think it's a cool idea and I'll drop it by Adam if I get the chance.[/FONT][/QUOTE]
What are you, his secretary? lol

This is a great idea. Remember that you don't have to be [i]at[/i] your computer to be logged in. I plan on leaving all three computers in my house logged into OB all day (using three seperate accounts).

Having some sort of advertisement on the Otaku would definitely help a lot. If people see that they don't even have to register on OB to take part then I'm sure we'll get a good chunk of guests to help towards the cause.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Lrb][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]What are you, his secretary? lol[/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]He has more frequent contact with Adam than you do, buddy. :animesmil

[quote name='Ace][FONT=Comic Sans']Considering that we're somewhat low-traffic these days, I'm pretty sure the only way we have a prayer of pulling this off is if we get Adam to announce it over at TheO.[/FONT][/quote]
Well, if we announced it here far enough in advance, then certainly even with the low traffic people would see it eventually. But yeah, getting Adam to drop a shout-out wouldn't be a bad thing.[/FONT]

I like the idea. It would be good get OB a bit more active, more activity can never hurt. The only problem I see with this is time zone. I know I would have to be up at 9:00am to match the 12:00pm start. Unless I'm misunderstanding and that you can log in anytime after 12:00pm ESP time?

[quote name='Cat']I like the idea. It would be good get OB a bit more active, more activity can never hurt. The only problem I see with this is time zone. I know I would have to be up at 9:00am to match the 12:00pm start. Unless I'm misunderstanding and that you can log in anytime after 12:00pm ESP time?[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I agree here. Personally, I'd suggest 3:00 EST. That way, the earliest any user in the States would have to be on is noon. Personally, I enjoy sleeping in on Saturdays.[/FONT]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Just to provide a bit of clarification about the old record, that number was about 90% Google spiders and other bots that were crawling the site at the time. It wasn't anywhere close to 3,000 actual people online at once.[/color][/QUOTE]Do you know the actual number of people then? It would be interesting to try and break that record if you know what it was. ;)

I also agree with making it noon for pacific time and 3pm for Eastern. Makes it easier for those who enjoy sleeping in on their weekends.

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I'm not sure of the exact number but I don't think it was over 300 actual people online.[/color][/QUOTE]

Then we can definately break it! I think it's a great idea! The thought has crossed my mind a few times, but I was too lazy to do anything! So, good going, Drizzt!:animesmil

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]*readies his weapons*

Now what are said members going to do when they arrive here? Is it just a log on, log off sort of thing?[/FONT][/QUOTE]

What I would like to do (I'm not sure if this would be hard on the mods or not) would be start a post here in the convention center, or in the lounge if it would be better, around noon EST ( I know this is earlier than everyone had wanted, but I want to make sure I beat the rush and I'll be on the boards all day watching the fun :animesmil). Now it wouldn't be a discussion persay, just something like [I]Drizzt checking in[/I]. I know this goes against the rules a bit so any help on modifying would be helpful.

This way we can distinguish how many ACTUAL OB members got on that day, and how many were bots and the like...

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I'm not sure of the exact number but I don't think it was over 300 actual people online.[/color][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yeah I think that number was abnormally high. Our prior record was only about 150 to 200 people online at once I think.

I was going to say, is there a way we can roll that record back to the previous figure? Or perhaps we should just restart it, I'm not entirely sure.

As it is, I don't view it as being accurate anyway. It'll defeat the purpose of any record attempt like this.[/font]

Is there any way for anyone to go back and check and see how many actual users were on the day of the 3059?

If not, is there anyway to find out the exact number for the old record? Even if we couldn't have it automatically updated with the "check in" thread, it would be possible to get a count of offical active users. So while we may not be able to beat 3000 we could possibly make this a yearly attempt at beating previous year records.

I ask any admin/mod who may be able to determine this to check it out, and even if there's no way to know the "Real" number, I'm still going to get on and make the post to see what we're capable of.

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"][quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]He has more frequent contact with Adam than you do, buddy. :animesmil[/FONT][/QUOTE]
Oh stop the presses! I've talked to Adam like... once. I don't really care if Ace has more contact with him then me, [i]buddy[/i]. I think you missed the point of what I said. :rolleyes:

I wonder if there is a way to change the record system so it will only count members and not guests. Then we could delete the old record without having to worry about getting rid of OB history and start attempting a new one.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]vB doesn't keep any records for this sort of thing except the number itself, so there's no way to find out how many of those 3,059 were real people. The closest thing available is the record number of registered users who were active on one day, which was 329 on August 3, 2004. Which, I think, is actually a better record to try to break.

Also, I was thinking there was a way to reset the users online at once record but I can't seem to find an option for it.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][COLOR=#4b0082]Also, I was thinking there was a way to reset the users online at once record but I can't seem to find an option for it.[/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]It can definitely be done but there likely isn't an option for it in the Admin CP. I'm pretty sure the only way to do this is to run a query against the database to reset the count manually. I'll do a little research and see if I can come up with which table and field the value is stored in and get back to you.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]As for the actual proposed idea, I like it. I think this could actually be an interesting yearly event if not only to see the growth of the site over time.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE]There are upsides and downsides to this, the obvious being the negative and positive aspects of a sudden surge of people with an interest in OB flooding in and posting.[/QUOTE]This needs to happen. I can't think of anything better for this site than a huge influx of new visitors.

[quote name='Sara']This needs to happen. I can't think of anything better for this site than a huge influx of new visitors.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I actually really agree with this statement, if there's one thing that Otakuboards needs desperately it's a vast increase in the number of new members we're getting. Granted perhaps getting them by attempting to break the old record for most online is not the best way to go about it, but beggars cannot be choosers as the saying goes.

Going back to the topic itself of trying to break the record, it sounds like it would be a really fun thing to do (if indeed we can recent the count to something a little more realistic). The idea of making this an annual thing is definitely interesting too, reminds me of the "Otaku Records" event idea from a while back.[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
Since we are closing in on the proposed date. I wanted to check and find out if A.) Anything had been discovered by a mod/admin about reseting the counter. and B.) I wanted to find out if it would be prefered that we post a "check-in" thread for anyone who gets on here in the Convention Center or the Lounge?

As for now I'm going to assume the Convention center is going to be the best place to do it, unless I'm told otherwise. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm so juiced up about this.

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']As for now I'm going to assume the Convention center is going to be the best place to do it, unless I'm told otherwise. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm so juiced up about this.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Well, I'm afraid I don't know anything new about resetting the counter Drizzt, but as far as where this thread belongs, the Convention Center probably is the best place for the moment, and I'm not just saying it because it's my forum. :animesmil

Seriously though, anything of this kind of scale qualifies as an "event" by default, even if it's not specifically called one. Additionally it'd be far easier to keep track of things in a relatively...slow moving forum like this, as opposed to the Lounge.[/SIZE]