OtakuBoards

The Almagest Expedition: Backstage

Shy

[size=1]Okay, so I have a fairly large post leading [i]up to[/i] the ceremony, but I haven't written the actual ceremony at all. Whoops.

If whoever posts next just wants to acknowledge that it happened that would be great, no details are neccessary. Immediately following the ceremonies all of our characters should be on the deck of the Alaina at the reception. Toasts and heated confrontations are in order.

-Shy[/size]

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Clearly more alcohol is necessary. That way heated debates might catch flame. Hooray for fondue! .....there should be a chocolate fondue at the reception.

It'd be genius.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Haha, I expected a fight to break out the moment that the reception started... Either I was just way off or someone's afraid to start something... This is kinda a volatile combination. Almost like a mob war would break out between the two opposing families. Fonty would pull out a Tommy gun, Macey would start stabbing people, and the the Achards would start cracking skulls...

Well, Liana can't start anything, she doesn't know any of them. In fact she's probably quite lonely and feeling kinda awkward right now, so if anyone wants to use her, please do so.

In the meantime, I have an idea for a post that may or may not happen in the next couple of days depending on who posts between now and then.

[quote name='Darren']Haha, I expected a fight to break out the moment that the reception started... Either I was just way off or someone's afraid to start something... This is kinda a volatile combination. Almost like a mob war would break out between the two opposing families. Fonty would pull out a Tommy gun, Macey would start stabbing people, and the the Achards would start cracking skulls...[/quote]Well I don't know about the mob style for fighting... but it[I] is[/I] almost anti climatic that no scuffles have occurred other than people glaring at one another over their glasses of champagne. What's the matter with you guys? =P [I][SIZE="1"]*is kidding*[/SIZE][/I]

I'm kind of out of the picture for anything like that since Achard or not, my character is a cleric for the church and hasn't lived at home for fourteen years... so he's completely out of the social gossip loop. lol

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Well I don't know about the mob style for fighting... but it[I] is[/I] almost anti climatic that no scuffles have occurred other than people glaring at one another over their glasses of champagne. What's the matter with you guys? =P [I][SIZE="1"]*is kidding*[/SIZE][/I][/QUOTE][size=1]Oh give it time. Not all of the guests have arrived yet...

-Shy[/size] :smirk:

[SIZE="1"]Something approaching eh ? Suppose it's time for Dawlish to finally show up then and estrange himself to the remaining members of his extended family he may have been on good terms with. Oh well, screw the rules I have money and all that jazz.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Something approaching eh ? Suppose it's time for Dawlish to finally show up then and estrange himself to the remaining members of his extended family he may have been on good terms with. Oh well, screw the rules I have money and all that jazz.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]And a glamorous assistant to clean up the mess afterwords. No rich gentleman should be without his gold digger. I mean secretary.
[/SIZE]

Fonty you devilish little schemer you...

I suppose since Liana is so Naive, she'll have to help Victoria get the compass, but way to go, Shy. [/sarcasm] As soon as everyone finds out she stole it from Cole Dreadnaught, no less... She's going to be on bad terms with the Almagests, the Achards, and worst of all, Marcel.

You suck. :P (But seriously, thank you for giving Liana something to do.)

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Tahoma"][QUOTE=Darren]Fonty you devilish little schemer you...

I suppose since Liana is so Naive, she'll have to help Victoria get the compass, but way to go, Shy. [/sarcasm] As soon as everyone finds out she stole it from Cole Dreadnaught, no less... She's going to be on bad terms with the Almagests, the Achards, and worst of all, Marcel.

You suck. :P (But seriously, thank you for giving Liana something to do.)[/QUOTE]Oh no worries, if they get caught, Victoria Ann will just blame Fonty. :D

If Liana is nervous about it cause she doesn't know Fonty (something that makes sense) then we can just have Victoria snatch it and stuff it into a pocket. Since Fonty's her uncle she wouldn't hesitate to do that. You can post that or I can. The two girls going to fetch it.

I'd prefer it if you end the post before running into Fonty again though, since I want to have some fun with that if the opportunity presents itself. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"]I think things are going to get more interesting. Especially when the power hungry manic [SIZE="1"](more commonly known as Dawlish)[/SIZE] with delusions of [I]god knows what[/I] finally shows up. I vote we just toss Dawlish over the edge and save everyone a lot of grief.

[SIZE="1"][I]*pokes Gavin*[/I][/SIZE] :D

Oh and I had fun toying with your character Ace. Since he hates Dawlish, I figured having him be mad that he couldn't find him would be fitting. Just as confronting Harrison over where he is would fit too. If not, let me know and I'll consider altering that post. =P[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Tahoma"]Oh no worries, if they get caught, Victoria Ann will just blame Fonty. :D

If Liana is nervous about it cause she doesn't know Fonty (something that makes sense) then we can just have Victoria snatch it and stuff it into a pocket. Since Fonty's her uncle she wouldn't hesitate to do that. You can post that or I can. The two girls going to fetch it.

I'd prefer it if you end the post before running into Fonty again though, since I want to have some fun with that if the opportunity presents itself. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, no problem. I was going to post the girls' misadventure... And don't worry, I didn't plan to include Fonty just yet. Liana's got a bit of a story to develop, and of course she wants the gossip from Victoria, so...

I'll let you have the fun, but I'll take care of the "snatching."

[size=1]We're waiting for dawlish to make his grand entrance, deal with the fallout of of that, and then we can move onto the next day. Things should get really interesting from there.... heh.

I encourage any and all players to interact with one another for the rest of the party. Now is the perfect time to set up plot points for later in the story. We're all grown-ups here, so there shouldn't be so much concern about stepping on one another's toes.

-Shy[/size]

[FONT="Arial"]I'm sorry to subject all of you to such a lengthy post. o_O I did not intend for it to be quite so long. I got working on it and by the time I was done, it had become what you see.

I included quite a few characters and if I happened to played anyone incorrectly, just let me know and I'll edit accordingly. [/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Well compared to the post Gavin will eventually...make. I am safely going to say that your post Nathan dear was quite short by comparison. Just check. Gavin is very fond of surpassing the six page post. We'd wager that your post was the perfect length for covering all bases.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]Sorry for the delay in getting my post up, starting back college and getting a dose of the flu have severely eaten into my writing time. I should have it finished and posted later this evening though it'll probably be shorter than my usuals (somewhere around the 1500 word mark).[/SIZE]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]And there's my post. I took a few liberties, of course, so let me know if I messed up Dawlish's character or anything else.[/FONT][/QUOTE]
[SIZE="1"]
No Ace you got it perfectly. That was actually exactly how I was going to portray the meeting, right down to Dawlish toying with his nephew during a fight scene and then withdrawing in front of his mother.[/SIZE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Wow, that post was just... well, confusing.

Apart from some inconsistencies with the original RPG (nobody else having irreplaceable losses? Really? Quite a few people died, not to mention other issues), I think my biggest concern is that a lot of this just comes out of nowhere.

I mean, a ship is literally hijacked in what is essentially an act of war. The Alaina is sailing in Anovan territory - if a ship were to hijack it from within the country, that would be a criminal act. But certainly if it were to be hijacked by a foreign vessel, that could spark a war.

What kind of expert weapons dealer and military tactician would make such an irrational, presumptive move? It doesn't compute.

Moreover, just as a courtesy... I'm sure we would like to know when a game-changing event like this will happen. I mean for me personally, this was just totally unexpected - but not in a good way. There wasn't any consultation about it.

And secondly, a Grimoire original? Huh? Did anyone forget that she is my character? Mr. Blonde respectfully held off from the "Grimoire original" because he had read my sign-up about her being a recluse.

I mean sure, people can buy Grimoire outfits... but yeah, seriously, there's a fair bit of godmodding going on with that latest post Gavin.

Also just a final point - although we'll never always get it 100% right, we must try to read other characters and situations true to nature.

What I mean is... does anyone think that the wedding party would willingly move into Dawlish's vessel after being forcibly hijacked without warning? Hell no.

I know if someone did that at my wedding, I'd have to be held back from physically injuring them. I'm sure Cole and Beatriste would be the same.

So yeah... I'm not even sure how the post can be edited to make it more palatable, because it's just so far out there in terms of what we've already established and the normal courtesies/conventions of an RPG.

Sorry to say all of that Gavin, but really, someone had to. I really hope you'll take a bit more care next time. >_>;;[/font]

[FONT="Arial"][quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']I mean, a ship is literally hijacked in what is essentially an act of war. The Alaina is sailing in Anovan territory - if a ship were to hijack it from within the country, that would be a criminal act. But certainly if it were to be hijacked by a foreign vessel, that could spark a war. [/font][/quote]You took the words right out of my mouth. My first thought, upon reading that, was there was [I]no way in hell[/I] that my character, a 1st lieutenant in the Anovan military, would stand by and do nothing over a hijacking. o_O

He would, by law, be [I]required[/I] to respond to such an obvious act of aggression. The fact that Dawlish is an Almagest would be irrelevant. I'm pretty sure he just broke quite a few laws by pulling that stunt. I can't imagine the two countries don't have some form of agreement in regards to airspace.

I'm sure you put a lot of work in that post Gavin, but I honestly have to say it just doesn't fit.[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']What I mean is... does anyone think that the wedding party would willingly move into Dawlish's vessel after being forcibly hijacked without warning? Hell no.[/font][/quote]My character is more likely to take the presumptuous Dawlish and toss him over the edge without a parachute. I can't see the others just calmly accepting it either. >_> [/FONT]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I figured I wasn't crazy, haha. Looks like we interpreted it the same way.

I mean regardless of families, the Anovan Government could never tolerate such an act - you rightly point this out.

Plus if Dawlish is trying to sell arms around the world, why would he choose to perform such an outrageous act in full public view, which could be interpreted as some sort of nationalistic bias? I mean the whole thing just doesn't make any sense.

Unfortunately also, even if Gavin reverses the post and puts something else together... that'll render Ace's subsequent post void as well, because he's just tried to follow on from it.

Yuck, messy. [/font]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]Unfortunately also, even if Gavin reverses the post and puts something else together... that'll render Ace's subsequent post void as well, because he's just tried to follow on from it.

Yuck. [/font][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Whatever the case may be, I'll manage. I just made a copy of that one and hid it on my hard drive for use in a later situation. I'll edit it to fit when I see a chance.

So do what needs to be done, I'll just roll with the punches.[/FONT]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Ah, no worries Ace. Sorry. I guess a few of us just figured it was better to deal with this now rather than later - I mean this post really causes a lot of potential issues.

In the end I'll leave it up to Gavin and Shy to decide how to proceed... but I would personally recommend a [i]complete[/i] re-write of the post. I don't think there's a great deal of it that could be salvaged, except maybe the internal stuff on Dawlish's vessel prior to the hijack.

But the actual hijack is the biggest problem and really shouldn't be there. The other stuff is relatively minor and we can probably work with it.

I would just hate to set this kind of precedent now because it would kill the RPG.[/font]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]But the actual hijack is the biggest problem and really shouldn't be there. [/font][/QUOTE]I have to agree with this. Just as there would be agreements between the two nations as to airspace conduct and how you deal with other vessels, there would [I]also[/I] be agreements in regards to how they deal with members of the Church of the Phoenix, who by the way, do [I]not [/I]fall under the jurisdiction of either country.

So you're basically kidnapping a high ranking member of the church since my character is representing the High Priestess Yolanda. o_O Uh, that's going to cause a major incident on so many levels Gavin. That is not something my character could overlook. I don't see that working at all and I'm afraid that I too must insist that you change it. [/FONT][/COLOR]