OtakuBoards

The Padded Room Party: Random Thoughts

Shy

[quote name='CaNz' date='12 June 2010 - 11:38 PM' timestamp='1276400314' post='695158']
okay so not every person is an immature girl that gets into random cat-fights... but it seems like everyone here at least knows of girls who do go crazy during the game.

[/quote]
There are also guys who go crazy during the game. What's your point? There are also 13-year-olds who go more ballistic and become more violent when their parents take away WoW or their XBOX or something, so I don't think sports has anything to do with how violent a person is. Edited by eleanor

[quote name='eleanor' date='13 June 2010 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1276462995' post='695205']
[b]There are also 13-year-olds who go more ballistic and become more violent when their parents take away WoW or their XBOX or something[/b], so I don't think sports has anything to do with how violent a person is.
[/quote]
I got this feeling that this is related to a certain video that's on youtube.

though i love the video, I wasnt talking about a temper tantrum crazy.... i meant letting your emotions go to your head and jumping on a girl who accidentally kid your but. I am also not condoning boys soccer/fútbol but id say out of experience there was less revenge driven injuries. I doubt this is true for all cases... but if its a number game we look at i will be correct.
I am certainly not saying anyone here is a monster(yet...) but thats only because everyone here other than me tends to show a level of maturity not found in your run of the mill jocks.
also I never understood why being competitive was an important trait to learn... why do you have to be better than everyone else? why cant you just learn to be the best you can be?
competitive sports coaches always say do your best but they really dont care so long as what you do is better than what they do.

i understand hat playing against an opponent was a means of testing your own skill, but it seems to me that the concept of winning trumped the concept of being good.

[quote name='Magus' date='13 June 2010 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1276464083' post='695207']
I got this feeling that this is related to a certain video that's on youtube.
[/quote]

It's more like experience from watching 13-year-old boys who think they're going to die without their nintendo DS/xbox/ps2/wii, and will subsequently go insane if you try to take it away. -_- Babysitting for lazy, rich moms is like taking the best "how NOT to parent kids 101" class ever

[quote name='CaNz' date='13 June 2010 - 06:02 PM' timestamp='1276466573' post='695212']
I am also not condoning boys soccer/fútbol but id say out of experience there was less revenge driven injuries. I doubt this is true for all cases... but if its a number game we look at i will be correct.
I am certainly not saying anyone here is a monster(yet...) but thats only because everyone here other than me tends to show a level of maturity not found in your run of the mill jocks.
also I never understood why being competitive was an important trait to learn... why do you have to be better than everyone else? why cant you just learn to be the best you can be?
competitive sports coaches always say do your best but they really dont care so long as what you do is better than what they do.

i understand hat playing against an opponent was a means of testing your own skill, but it seems to me that the concept of winning trumped the concept of being good.
[/quote]

There's a numbers game now? And your personal experience counts as statistical evidence? lol wat

Also, when you truly are aiming to be your best, you also want to beat others. Because most people want to believe that their best is better than someone else's best, or want to prove that at their best they can beat others who haven't worked as hard.

Someone who is REALLY at their "best" and can't beat anybody else is really just not fit out for whatever field they're in-- the problem is, 99.9% of people never are at their "best" so they give up too easily.

The reason I keep putting best in quotations is because there's the problem of people think someone's "best" is like some sort of "top level," and once you reach it there's nothing more you can do. IRL that's never true. There is always room for improvement and challenges, and that's also where competitive spirit comes into play.

And anyways, you seem to be confusing "run of the mill jocks" with real athletes. Edited by eleanor

I have a question: Why are you two arguing about this? How does this benefit you? You're both right about some things, but wrong about others. Can't you just agree to disagree and leave it at that? :)

I should really take more walks in the woods. It's doing wonders for my health and I love it. If anyone feels like dragging themselves to New York, let's go hiking or something!

AAAAAH!!! English exam tomorrow! Why am I still flipping out when English is one of my best subjects?! AAAAAH!!!

[center][IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/2ebh1ye.png[/IMG][/center]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Although, in all seriousness, I'm not even sure what the argument [i]is[/i]. :huh: But I don't follow sports at all, and I've just been skimming the posts, so.[/font][/color] Edited by Vivian

[quote name='Vivian' date='13 June 2010 - 07:15 PM' timestamp='1276470952' post='695223']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Although, in all seriousness, I'm not even sure what the argument [i]is[/i]. :huh: But I don't follow sports at all, so.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

And now you have probably summoned them to give a re-cap of what their argument is. And the cycle will begin again... =P

[quote name='chibi-master' date='13 June 2010 - 06:23 PM' timestamp='1276471386' post='695225']
And now you have probably summoned them to give a re-cap of what their argument is. And the cycle will begin again... =P
[/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]... Well, ummm...poot.

Carry on, then.[/font][/color]

[quote name='chibi-master' date='13 June 2010 - 07:13 PM' timestamp='1276470832' post='695222']
I have a question: Why are you two arguing about this? How does this benefit you? You're both right about some things, but wrong about others. Can't you just agree to disagree and leave it at that? :)
[/quote]

Why not? What progress would ever be made without discussion and arguments? I believe my entire argument is right, and I'll argue to defend that.

If anything, the most annoying part of any argument is the person who jumps in and says it's stupid/pointless. Edited by eleanor

[quote name='eleanor' date='13 June 2010 - 08:43 PM' timestamp='1276472589' post='695227']

If anything, the most annoying part of any argument is the person who jumps in and says it's stupid/pointless.
[/quote]

..... I think that you copy-pasted that, because I believe I recall seeing that EXACT same line in someone's signature. Hmm.

[quote name='Stephanie' date='13 June 2010 - 08:28 PM' timestamp='1276475336' post='695230']
..... I think that you copy-pasted that, because I believe I recall seeing that EXACT same line in someone's signature. Hmm.
[/quote]

I had the exact same thought! Although, I do believe it was in reference to someone saying a thread is pointless, not an argument. But then again, a lot of threads are mostly arguments, sooo... :rolleyes:

I think I ate too many grapes... :mellow:

[quote name='Stephanie' date='13 June 2010 - 07:28 PM' timestamp='1276475336' post='695230']
[/quote]

[color=deeppink]And that sig was, appropriately enough, nothing more than a shameless copy-paste of someone else's post.[/color] Edited by Nerdsy

I love to argue... cant help it.
but for me its not about telling others what to believe, its helping me put together my thoughts into words. I do want to be right, though...

sooo...
I think not only is personal experience better than statistical information, but it can be applied to others. If you need to look up statistics for proof then you dont know what your talking about.

when you say [i]"when you truly are aiming to be your best, you also want to beat others. Because most people want to believe that their best is better than someone else's best"[/i] it no longer becomes playing to be the best. you just want to beat the competition. if everyone bowls at 200 all you gotta do is get 201 and you are the best right?
to top it all off the negative aspect of losing is a plague. instead of thinking you gave it a good go, you are forced to believe you are inferior. even if it is true, it makes you either work harder or quit... but staying at the same level doesn't work for competitive sports unless your winning. This doesnt incorage self betterment. it just minimizes the people who can have fun.
why is pro sports and college the only adult sporting events? why is it that kids stop playing baseball with there friends when they are older?

most people are not the "real athletes" you speak of. how many of your teammates were over the years? however all of them probably liked playing sports weather they were better than everyone else or not has nothing to do with liking to play the game.

[quote name='Nerdsy' date='13 June 2010 - 10:48 PM' timestamp='1276483726' post='695237']
[color=deeppink]And that sig was, appropriately enough, nothing more than a shameless copy-paste of someone else's post.[/color]
[/quote]

Originally posted by James, no?

I need to write myself a letter for my time capsule that will be opened the last week of my senior year... What shall I say? :blink:

[font="Garamond"]Bought some ssamjang the other day from the local Korean market, which is this delicious bean paste you have with meat/rice whathaveyou. It's imported so naturally, there's little to no English on the packaging. In the top part it came with this little package that looked like a ramen flavouring thingy. I'm taking Korean but I'm by no means fluent, so we opened the package and put it in a little bowl to examine it. We didn't eat it though it looked kinda like spices. Just talked to my Korean friend, turns out that's rat repellant. So. I almost ingested rat repellant today. And died.

Cool. Thanks Korea.
(I get that it's imported and mostly bought by Koreans at the market, but with stuff like that I think they should probably have to put "DO NOT EAT" in more than one language on it...)

Chibi, the few times I've had to write letters to my future self, it's usually along the lines of DON'T FAIL OR DO SOMETHING STUPID =P[/font] Edited by mapthesoul.

[font="Calibri"]The only pointless part is this:[/font]

[quote name='Anyone']I love to argue.[/QUOTE]

[font="Calibri"]There is no purpose to recreational arguments. Therefore they are pointless.

[/font] Edited by Allamorph

[quote name='Allamorph' date='14 June 2010 - 01:58 AM' timestamp='1276491497' post='695245']
[font="Calibri"]Therefore they are pointless.

[/font]
[/quote]

Your face is pointless. :P Oooh, what then?

i am sorry about anything bad i have ever said about you Stephanie.

plus my love for arguing was an alternative motive Allamorph... i said i was continuing the argument because i wanted to be right.
.......and can i type a single post without your dismissive comments? i make my mistakes but its not like i am the worst person to ever appear on a forum. Edited by CaNz

[quote=CaNz]also I never understood why being competitive was an important trait to learn... why do you have to be better than everyone else? why cant you just learn to be the best you can be?[/quote]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Without getting into the debate about sport, I just want to highlight this comment.

When we are young, our teachers always tend to say things like "You did the best you could and that's what matters!" rather than "Well, that's not really good enough, is it?"

Maybe that is fair when applied to sport (unless, of course, sport is your career/livelihood). It is most certainly [i]not [/i]true in many other areas of life, though. This is something you quickly discover when you leave school and begin working, where the need to compete will be very apparent.

But acknowledging the value of competition does not automatically mean that you're a loser if you are in second place. I know that you guys were really specifically talking about sport, but I raised this because I suspect that the dismissal of competition and its real value seems to be part of a broader attempt to wrap the current generation of children in cotton wool as much as possible. It brings to mind insipid (and apparently recent) terms like "marketplace of ideas", which can be a pretty unhelpful euphemism for "all ideas are equally valid, even those without any supporting evidence or logic". We certainly don't do very much to give students the ability to discriminate between reasonable ideas and junk ideas if we keep pushing that line.

Sorry for going around the block a little there, but that single comment immediately brought all those thoughts to mind. :)

[quote=CaNz][/font]i said i was continuing the argument because i wanted to be right.[/quote]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]And there you have it! So maybe it's not always about simply achieving a personal best. :)

But seriously, your debate is not pointless. Debating societies the world over are built on the very idea of "recreational arguments", so I would not worry too much about justifying your discussion to anybody else - so long as you keep within the ToS, of course (and you aren't coming close to violating that).

One kind of cool thing about this topic is that two people can have a debate/discussion in amongst completely unrelated conversations and monologues. Those people who think the argument is pointless don't need to worry - I'd say they weren't invited to participate in the first place.
[/font]

[quote name='gallowsCalibrator' date='14 June 2010 - 02:39 AM' timestamp='1276508385' post='695258']
[font="Comic Sans MS"]I... cannot for the life of me pin down exactly which of the major logical fallacies this falls under.[/font]
[/quote]
probably Argument from final Consequences/reversal of cause and effect. me saying i do this to be right does tend to skip the whole either i am right or not in the first place part... however i did say earlier that i use arguments to put my own thoughts into words, so that if i am right i can explain myself better.
also in order to be right you sometimes have to prove statements wrong, thus not all of what i said was a fallacy. Edited by CaNz

[quote name='Nerdsy' date='14 June 2010 - 11:17 AM' timestamp='1276525076' post='695267']
[color=deeppink]If an action is enjoyable, then it is not pointless, the point being that it brings you joy.[/color]
[/quote]

Yes. This. Hence why a strictly utilitarian culture would end up making most of the people commit suicide; pretty things bring us joy, too, right? Being happy is what makes us functional members of whatever society we're a part of, otherwise we have no reason to do anything.

And canz, I only mess with Alla because I'm allowed to. I'm the Sexy Office Girl, remember? :P

As long as you can admit that that's why you're arguing, then you should be fine. That way, neither you nor anyone else has to worry about whether or not you actually ARE right.

I have something coffee-esque. Not quite coffee. But still good.