OtakuBoards

The Padded Room Party: Random Thoughts

Shy

Okay, English final down! Woo-hoo! It was ridiculously easy, but a few of the questions seemed like they could have more than one answer because they could be interpreted so many different ways, darn it!

I want to sleep now. It's humid and rainy outside and I'm tired from the exam. So why can't I fall asleep?!

[quote name='James'][font="Palatino Linotype"]But acknowledging the value of competition does not automatically mean that you're a loser if you are in second place. I know that you guys were really specifically talking about sport, but I raised this because I suspect that the dismissal of competition and its real value seems to be part of a broader attempt to wrap the current generation of children in cotton wool as much as possible. It brings to mind insipid (and apparently recent) terms like "marketplace of ideas", which can be a pretty unhelpful euphemism for "all ideas are equally valid, even those without any supporting evidence or logic". We certainly don't do very much to give students the ability to discriminate between reasonable ideas and junk ideas if we keep pushing that line.[/font][/quote]
[font="Calibri"]Yes and thank you.

I tend to think this has come from a growing inability to distinguish in-the-moment the dual meanings of a pair of words ('right' and 'wrong') and the gradual corruption of the meaning of a third ('judgment').

To wit, telling someone their opinion is 'wrong' is no longer understood as 'incorrect' but as 'evil'â??as if it is somehow morally 'wrong' to have an opinion at all, which is obviously not the case. I mean, the only people who have no opinion about anything are either dead or irreparably stupid (i.e., a living vegetable), and I refuse to believe anyone is devoid of the capacity to form an opinion, whether it's correct or not. The other option, of course, is that it is somehow morally 'wrong' to [i]be[/i] incorrect, which again is obviously not the case. To me, the only part of having an opinion for which one might at all worthy of being disparaged is insisting on [i]remaining[/i] incorrect in spite of obvious proof.

The word 'judgment' is currently (and erroneously) synonymous with 'condemnation'. 'Judgment' actually has no negative meanings, and is defined as[size="1"][sup]*[/sup][/size]:
[list=1][*]an act or instance of judging.[*] the ability to judge, make a decision, or form an opinion objectively, authoritatively, and wisely, esp. in matters affecting action; good sense; discretion: [i]a man of sound judgment.[/i][*]the demonstration or exercise of such ability or capacity: [i]The major was decorated for the judgment he showed under fire.[/i][*]the forming of an opinion, estimate, notion, or conclusion, as from circumstances presented to the mind: [i]Our judgment as to the cause of his failure must rest on the evidence.[/i][/list]...and is actually synonymous with [i]discernment[/i] â?? a faculty which is [i]prized[/i], rather than frowned upon. A judgmental person is capable of making judgments about situations. And again, that should apply to anyone living; if you don't make judgments as you go through each day, you might as well be on life support in a hospital.

It is not morally wrong to be ignorant or lacking in experience. (Hell, if it were, it'd be morally wrong just to be two years old.) It is not morally wrong to be [i]literally[/i] wrong. You can't learn unless you fail. And often you can't know you've failed unless someone else shows you so.

The problem is that no one wants to say so because they never know when someone will descry them for being 'judgmental' when they're only trying to provide illumination and clarity.[/font]
[size="1"]

* Definition taken from Dictionary.com[/size] Edited by Allamorph

seems to me everyone is judgmental regardless of if they publicly judge people or not. not everyone speaks out, but like you said Allamorph everyone has an opinion who is not dead or in a brain-dead state. the contradiction i would like to make though is that i would consider it "wrong/evil" to force those opinions on others when you cannot be sure of the view is correct. which means its okay to tell someone they are wrong if they are wrong, but not okay to tell someone that they should be more like you because its you think it is better.
example would be i think its "wrong/evil" to judge people for drugs. so long as they only try to hamper themselves i shouldn't do more then tell them how i feel on the matter. there are certain personal choices that no one can tell you if its right or wrong but everyone has an opinion of them. these opinions are not bad, but are not necessarily enforceable in the same sense as correcting someone who has said 2+2=3.

....and to Stephanie, i liked your post because i thought i was the only one believes "your face" is a valid rebuttal. but i dont condone making fun of Allamorph [size="1"]he dislikes me enough already! [/size] Edited by CaNz

[quote name='Allamorph' date='15 June 2010 - 06:59 AM' timestamp='1276545578' post='695285']
[font="Calibri"]
The problem is that no one wants to say so because they never know when someone will descry them for being 'judgmental' when they're only trying to provide illumination and clarity.[/font]

[/quote]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Very true. Discrimination is also a word with negative connotations (mostly because we apply it to ethnic discrimination), but I think the true value of the word has been lost, at least when it comes to discrimination between differently weighted ideas.

[/font]

I was reading a manga while I waited for my class to start, only 15-20 minutes, and I had everything I needed for the class within reach. Though, when they called for the class to start I was so into the manga (Lucky Star) that I had forgotten where I was and what I was waiting for, and stared just at the instuctor blankly while looking around stupidly, wondering what I was supposed to do and if it was really time for the class to start, even though have been taking these lessons since shortly before school started last year.
Has this happened to anyone else lately?

[quote name='CaNz']...i dont condone making fun of Allamorph [size="1"]he dislikes me enough already![/size][/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]If I disliked you, I would have told you.

Besides, I make fun of everyone, moreso if I enjoy their company, and if I couldn't take a little haranguing coming back at me then I'd need to have my ego deflated considerably.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph' date='14 June 2010 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1276577284' post='695313']
[font="Calibri"]If I disliked you, I would have told you.[/font]
[/quote]

Nooooooo! id rather you keep your opinion of me to yourself! [size="1"][i](though as to stay true to the previous argument i fully support your right to have them)[/i][/size]

[quote name='CaNz' date='14 June 2010 - 11:45 PM' timestamp='1276551926' post='695289']
[b]seems to me everyone is judgmental regardless of if they publicly judge people or not. [/b]not everyone speaks out, but like you said Allamorph everyone has an opinion who is not dead or in a brain-dead state. the contradiction i would like to make though is that i would consider it "wrong/evil" to force those opinions on others when you cannot be sure of the view is correct. which means its okay to tell someone they are wrong if they are wrong, but not okay to tell someone that they should be more like you because its you think it is better.
example would be i think its "wrong/evil" to judge people for drugs. so long as they only try to hamper themselves i shouldn't do more then tell them how i feel on the matter. there are certain personal choices that no one can tell you if its right or wrong but everyone has an opinion of them. these opinions are not bad, but are not necessarily enforceable in the same sense as correcting someone who has said 2+2=3.

....and to Stephanie, i liked your post because i thought i was the only one believes "your face" is a valid rebuttal. but i dont condone making fun of Allamorph [size="1"]he dislikes me enough already! [/size]
[/quote]

[color="#000080"][size="2"][font="Garamond"]This bold statement^.

Everyone judges to a certain extent. Some moreso than others. The term "judgmental" usually gets the connotation that someone is overly judging of others. But not all judgements are bad ones per se. For example, I judge most people to be good until they prove me otherwise. Not a bad thing, is it? Certainly not. But when people get negative opinions of others and voice them, it's not a bad thing either. I could say that wearing a pink shirt makes you look ridiculously stupid and that's certainly my opinion and I'm entitled to it. You may then make your own judgement of my judgement. You may think that I'm being ignorant or even stupid myself. But in that respect, are you any better than me for thinking my opinion is stupid?

But people have told you how to make your choices since you were little. Parents, teachers, friends. It's all a part of your social growth as a person. Heck, you might even ask people to tell you what to do (generally known as advice). And that's based on their own opinions of the situation you're in. [/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='CaNz' date='15 June 2010 - 03:19 AM' timestamp='1276586379' post='695318']
Nooooooo! id rather you keep your opinion of me to yourself! [size="1"][i](though as to stay true to the previous argument i fully support your right to have them)[/i][/size]
[/quote]

There was a time when I thought he hated me, but that was solved very quickly and now he's a big squishy housecat (I still can't find a squishy black cat plushie! *sob*)!

And if you want my opinion of you CaNz, it's this: I think of you like an overprotective older brother that comes home from pubs at ungodly hours, but is still fun to be around. :)

[quote name='Botar' date='15 June 2010 - 07:36 PM' timestamp='1276623375' post='695341']
Well, i'm back, and I gots so much addicted to Magic the gathering. So, Allamorph's getting bashed? I read it up top, oh, and hows it going Chibi?
[/quote]

[size="2"][font="Garamond"]I still have a huge box filled to the brim of MtG cards. What expansions do you own?

Also, I just watched the "Alejandro" video on MTV.de Just wow. That is certainly what I've come to respect from Gaga Videos, but somehow her attire in the beginning of the video reminded me of the Borg Queen....lol[/font][/size][color="#000080"][/color]

[quote name='Korey' date='15 June 2010 - 03:02 PM' timestamp='1276628575' post='695347']
[size="2"][font="Garamond"]I still have a huge box filled to the brim of MtG cards. What expansions do you own?

Also, I just watched the "Alejandro" video on MTV.de Just wow. That is certainly what I've come to respect from Gaga Videos, but somehow her attire in the beginning of the video reminded me of the Borg Queen....lol[/font][/size][color="#000080"][/color]
[/quote]
Well I have saviors of kamigawa, betrayers of kamigawa, Time spiral, Dessentions, Cold Snap, Ravnica, Guildpact, shadowmoor, Lorwyn, Dark Steel, 5th Dawn.
Then I got 2, 750 randomly assorted card boxes from my local card shop, plus multiple fat packs of rise of eldrazi, worldwake and zendikar. Then a ton of booster packs, how about you?

[quote name='Botar' date='15 June 2010 - 01:36 PM' timestamp='1276623375' post='695341']
Well, i'm back, and I gots so much addicted to Magic the gathering. So, Allamorph's getting bashed?
[/quote]

I don't think Allamorph can be bashed. I often attempt to, you see, but it doesn't work.

[quote name='mapthesoul.' date='14 June 2010 - 12:48 AM' timestamp='1276490907' post='695244']
[font="Garamond"]Bought some ssamjang the other day from the local Korean market, which is this delicious bean paste you have with meat/rice whathaveyou. It's imported so naturally, there's little to no English on the packaging. P[/font]
[/quote]

Ssamjang is the shiiittt. Especially when you dip fresh korean hot peppers (which aren't really hot). Try it! You can find it at the Korean market you went to

[quote name='Stephanie' date='13 June 2010 - 08:28 PM' timestamp='1276475336' post='695230']
..... I think that you copy-pasted that, because I believe I recall seeing that EXACT same line in someone's signature. Hmm.
[/quote]

I didn't copy paste it, but I definitely remember it was like in James's signature. But I totally agree with it, so... yeah. lol

[quote name='CaNz' date='13 June 2010 - 11:44 PM' timestamp='1276487063' post='695241']
I love to argue... cant help it.
but for me its not about telling others what to believe, its helping me put together my thoughts into words. I do want to be right, though...[/quote]

We both agree on that! :)

[quote name='CaNz' date='13 June 2010 - 11:44 PM' timestamp='1276487063' post='695241']sooo...
I think not only is personal experience better than statistical information, but it can be applied to others. If you need to look up statistics for proof then you dont know what your talking about.

when you say [i]"when you truly are aiming to be your best, you also want to beat others. Because most people want to believe that their best is better than someone else's best"[/i] it no longer becomes playing to be the best. you just want to beat the competition. if everyone bowls at 200 all you gotta do is get 201 and you are the best right?
to top it all off the negative aspect of losing is a plague. instead of thinking you gave it a good go, you are forced to believe you are inferior. even if it is true, it makes you either work harder or quit... but staying at the same level doesn't work for competitive sports unless your winning. This doesnt incorage self betterment. it just minimizes the people who can have fun.
why is pro sports and college the only adult sporting events? why is it that kids stop playing baseball with there friends when they are older?

most people are not the "real athletes" you speak of. how many of your teammates were over the years? however all of them probably liked playing sports weather they were better than everyone else or not has nothing to do with liking to play the game.
[/quote]

Personal experience is the best when you're doing something subjective, such as recounting life stories or learning from your mistakes, but there's error in using one girls soccer team as THE example of ALL girls soccer teams, or girls who participate in competitive sports. It's similar to racial profiling and prejudice-- you see several people part of a much larger group do something and so you assume the entire group does it too.

Obviously there isn't like cut lines that delineate "being the best" and "being competitive." They are intertwined, no doubt, but that doesn't mean wanting to be the best completely warps into an obsessive need to beat everyone else. Using your bowling example-- let's say my best score yet has been a 195. I think this score is indicative of my highest playing level yet (my "best"). My friend gets a 200, so I think to myself: I bet I could make myself better and get a 200, too. I could beat her. So yeah, it's not exactly an either/or situation. I think I can improve, so I think you can beat someone. If I beat someone, I've improved. I've surpassed my previous "best." IMO this is a healthy way of thinking. It's not vengeful or egoistic, it's a drive to become better in which competitiveness plays a major role. And I don't think the drive to win is bad, either. I mean who doesn't feel awesome after winning lol

As to answer the "playing with friends" question... I would guess simply because if you're a far more advanced athlete, you wouldn't have as much fun playing with your friends because you're not exactly making yourself better or getting the satisfaction of winning. It'd be like me snowboarding with a beginning snowboarder, so I'd have to stop myself constantly to watch them get back up and try again. That's a really extreme example... but I think it gets my point across. Not to say it would be a terrible experience, I'd still have fun because I'd be with a friend and probably laughing/teaching her how to do it right.

Now I'm rambling, but when I brought up the snowboarding thing I thought of this. When I was learning how to snowboard, there was no "rival" or "other team" to beat. It was a completely solo experience for me. I cannot put into words how painful and long this process was. It was falling on my butt/knees probably more than 50 times a day, sometimes falling on my chest and getting the wind knocked out of me for a while, and my feet were screaming in pain, all in freezing weather. By the next morning I could barely move, but I forced myself to do the entire thing again. I did this for several days-- on the last day I FINALLY got the hang of it, was having a lot of fun actually getting down the mountain, and then a skier fell in front of me, my board caught his skis, I literally flipped up in the air and landed on my right side. The ski patrol had to come and put me in a sled because I couldn't walk without screaming in pain, and for the next week I lay comatose in bed watching Battlestar Galactica on my laptop with ice packs on my groin. However, I was happy as a clam because I forced myself through four days of hell and became an intermediate on a sport with one of the steepest learning curves. It came from an entirely personal desire to become better, not to beat anyone but just to be good at something. /end huge bragging session

So anyways... yes, I believe the best athletes are driven more out of a want to better themselves. And this desire is definitely mixed with competitive nature, but it isn't dominated by it.

And I consider "real athletes" to be the ones that train hard, give it their best and stay modest (and don't "get back" at people on or off the field hehe). I mean the varsity athletes I know at my college are some of the most disciplined, smartest people I know, and I definitely think their background in sports contributed to their mental and physical strength. Edited by eleanor

[quote name='chibi-master' date='15 June 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1276624912' post='695343']
No, CaNz is. =P
[/quote]i hope not... i was trying desperately to avoid being bashed. I make it way too easy... though i did like your opinion of me. I am very bad when it comes to young girls... i automatically think i need to defend them from all harm, even internet girls that probably have two belt colors higher than me. (and a better fighting style) plus i drink a lot.

[quote name='eleanor' date='15 June 2010 - 06:34 PM' timestamp='1276652041' post='695365']
Personal experience is the best when you're doing something subjective, such as recounting life stories or learning from your mistakes, but there's error in using one girls soccer team as THE example of ALL girls soccer teams, or girls who participate in competitive sports. It's similar to racial profiling and prejudice-- you see several people part of a much larger group do something and so you assume the entire group does it too.[/quote] your right... but when compared to statistics you look at a small number and figure it is irrelevant, and it is hard to find statistics relating to the question. the most relevant is an over 50% drop out rate of girls soccer on entry to middle-school. (i think this is a correct statistic in terms of numbers, but not in the people. it does not say who sticks with it, when they started, or there reasons for staying or leaving... but it does say that less than half the girls who start soccer end up not being cut out for it.... or gave up. id say they were probablly the immature ones since im sure the number of soccer players gets smaller, and my experience is about six years, (middleschool to junior year of highschool) and thats were i witnessed most of the tragic events.i am sure that at higher levels there is much less toleration for BS like that so the crazies are probably long gone. but id rather talk about the past...when you first started playing this did anything close to what i have been saying happen?

[quote name='eleanor' date='15 June 2010 - 06:34 PM' timestamp='1276652041' post='695365']bviously there isn't like cut lines that delineate "being the best" and "being competitive." They are intertwined, no doubt, but that doesn't mean wanting to be the best completely warps into an obsessive need to beat everyone else. Using your bowling example-- let's say my best score yet has been a 195. I think this score is indicative of my highest playing level yet (my "best"). My friend gets a 200, so I think to myself: I bet I could make myself better and get a 200, too. I could beat her. So yeah, it's not exactly an either/or situation. I think I can improve, so I think you can beat someone. If I beat someone, I've improved. I've surpassed my previous "best." IMO this is a healthy way of thinking. It's not vengeful or egoistic, it's a drive to become better in which competitiveness plays a major role. And I don't think the drive to win is bad, either. I mean who doesn't feel awesome after winning lol[/quote]i love to win too, but i am not competitive... this seems like a contradiction but i dont think so. when i play games i try my best to get the fun winning feeling, but i honestly dont mind losing. i either want to try again or i try to find a closer match... unless the game is so fun that losing is preferable to not playing like boardgames and cards. in team sports i was always good, but my teamates were always upset with me because i could be happy after we lost a match. i enjoyed the game, i wouldn't have played it if i didn't

[quote name='eleanor' date='15 June 2010 - 06:34 PM' timestamp='1276652041' post='695365']
As to answer the "playing with friends" question... I would guess simply because if you're a far more advanced athlete, you wouldn't have as much fun playing with your friends because you're not exactly making yourself better or getting the satisfaction of winning. It'd be like me snowboarding with a beginning snowboarder, so I'd have to stop myself constantly to watch them get back up and try again. That's a really extreme example... but I think it gets my point across. Not to say it would be a terrible experience, I'd still have fun because I'd be with a friend and probably laughing/teaching her how to do it right. [/quote]
you higher athlete types get all the oppertunities to play you want. but where can an adult go to get good at playing a game if they had not really played it before? you cant jump into a league at 18 without a ton of practice. if being competitive wasn't so important there would be a casual league. like join a team.. go have fun playing a game league. most athletes would think it would be pointless... i think it would be fun.

Now I'm rambling, but when I brought up the snowboarding thing I thought of this. When I was learning how to snowboard, there was no "rival" or "other team" to beat. It was a completely solo experience for me. I cannot put into words how painful and long this process was. It was falling on my butt/knees probably more than 50 times a day, sometimes falling on my chest and getting the wind knocked out of me for a while, and my feet were screaming in pain, all in freezing weather. By the next morning I could barely move, but I forced myself to do the entire thing again. I did this for several days-- on the last day I FINALLY got the hang of it, was having a lot of fun actually getting down the mountain, and then a skier fell in front of me, my board caught his skis, I literally flipped up in the air and landed on my right side. The ski patrol had to come and put me in a sled because I couldn't walk without screaming in pain, and for the next week I lay comatose in bed watching Battlestar Galactica on my laptop with ice packs on my groin. However, I was happy as a clam because I forced myself through four days of hell and became an intermediate on a sport with one of the steepest learning curves. It came from an entirely personal desire to become better, not to beat anyone but just to be good at something. /end huge bragging session. [/quote] this is the one benefit of competition... your self. attempting to beat your own doubts or lack of skills with vigilance and determination. I was neever good with this though... i like self confidence more. I always think that if i put enough effort into anything i could be at least okay at it (its kinda why i signed up for otakuboards) but the two can both be used to reach a higher potential... and good job... it took me two lessons to figure out how to skii! two! Edited by CaNz

I just heard a great line from watching an old drama called dead like me.

"[size="4"]there is a thin line between crazy people and the rest of us, we both have voices in our heads.[size="2"]"
derive from it what you will, but i love the show even more now.
[/size][/size]