OtakuBoards

The Padded Room Party: Random Thoughts

Shy

[quote name='Korey' date='05 July 2010 - 04:20 AM' timestamp='1278318026' post='696568']
[font=Garamond][size=2]You could have always used the default "Your Mom!". That usually is a good counter to "Your face."[/size][/font]
[/quote]
Don't you go starting that crap again. :whatever:

It is 4:39 a.m. and I have been up since 11:20 a.m. yesterday. Yet I'm not tired. Actually, I mostly just feel like I got kicked in the face by Chuck Norris. That does not feel pleasant.

[quote name='chibi-master' date='05 July 2010 - 04:40 AM' timestamp='1278319235' post='696570']Don't you go starting that crap again. :whatever:
[/quote]

Were playing you're mom tag!
Tag! You're moms it!

[quote name='Botar' date='05 July 2010 - 12:28 PM' timestamp='1278347311' post='696577']
Were playing you're mom tag!
Tag! You're moms it!
[/quote]

YOUR.

IT'S YOUR.

NOT YOU'RE.

You're means "you are," signified by the apostrophe. "You're mom" means "You are mom."

"Your" is the possessive. "Your mom" refers to someone's mother.

Thank you. :) Edited by Tonks

[quote name='Tonks' date='05 July 2010 - 02:16 PM' timestamp='1278353816' post='696581']
YOUR.

IT'S YOUR.

NOT YOU'RE.

You're means "you are," signified by the apostrophe. "You're mom" means "You are mom."

"Your" is the possessive. "Your mom" refers to someone's mother.

Thank you. :)
[/quote]

Well, I really don't care grammar NAZI. you're actually being a day ruiner, so thankyou.

You're moms it now.

[quote name='Botar' date='05 July 2010 - 08:43 PM' timestamp='1278355416' post='696583']
Well, I really don't care grammar NAZI. you're actually being a day ruiner, so thankyou.

You're moms it now.
[/quote]

*Whacks both of you*

Proper grammar isn't required on OB, Tonks.

Botar, please try to police your posts a little better so they are clear for others. No need to get snippy, guys and gals

[quote name='Korey' date='05 July 2010 - 04:36 PM' timestamp='1278362170' post='696590']
*Whacks both of you*

Proper grammar isn't required on OB, Tonks.

Botar, please try to police your posts a little better so they are clear for others. No need to get snippy, guys and gals
[/quote]

Sorry Korey.

What happened to your Lucky Star Avatar/Banner. I miss it.

[quote name='CaNz']you get 1 [u]CaNz shuts up card[/u] usable at any time for that one.[/quote]
[font="Calibri"]Haha. =D

Nah, I think I'll pass. :P[/font]

[quote name='Botar']Were playing you're mom tag!
Tag! You're moms it![/quote]
[font="Calibri"]This is possibly the funniest mental image I've had in three weeks.[/font]

[quote name='Tonks']YOUR.

IT'S YOUR.

NOT YOU'RE.[/quote]
[font="Calibri"]Tacking on to what [color="#8b0000"]Korey[/color] said, if you [i]are[/i] going to go around griping at other peoples' English, you could at least do them the courtesy of being correct about it. The sentence was "your mom is it", which reduces to "your mom's it". So while your bit about the your/you're confusion was fine, you missed the forest for one tree.

Furthermore, I'd like to remind you that grammatical hounding is [i]my[/i] domain, and if I haven't said anything about someone's posting styles I'd advise you to consider that I am probably avoiding mention of it for a good reason, and it'd probably be better for you if you didn't mention it either.

In other words: fix it when it matters so you don't shove your foot in your mouth.[/font]

[color="#4B0082"][font="Arial"]And here I'm happy that it finally [i]stopped[/i] raining several times a week and actually got hot for the summer. I was kind of getting tired of still needing to use the furnace at night. [/font][/color]

[quote name='Allamorph' date='05 July 2010 - 05:18 PM' timestamp='1278364700' post='696595'][font="Calibri"]In other words: fix it when it matters so you don't shove your foot in your mouth.[/font]
[/quote]

Using the wrong form of your/you're and their/there/they're is a huge pet peeve of mine and a lot of my friends. I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets bothered by something like this. I just think it's important to know the difference. Sorry for making it seem like I was having a real spaz attack, though I did put the smiley there to ease the tone. I do see I could have been nicer though.

However, I am a lot more lenient when it comes to possessive apostrophe s, because I often get confused about what I'm supposed to write. So I'd be glad if someone yelled at me to fix my errors. Edited by Tonks

[quote name='Tonks']However, I am a lot more lenient when it comes to possessive apostrophe s, because I often get confused about what I'm supposed to write. So I'd be glad if someone yelled at me to fix my errors.[/quote]
[font="Calibri"]It's actually not a possessive in that case. It's a contraction, much like "it's". "mom is" becomes "mom's"; notice that the sentence "your mom's it" doesn't actually have a clear verb in it.

However, the overarching point is that the only people with whom you can correct grammar during casual conversation are other English-ophiles.because we should know better. Anything goes in a professional presentation, but driving yourself batty over txt-speech and the almost complete lack of rules will do absolutely nothing (since your addressee won't care) and will label you as a first-class self-possessed *****.

I'm already a first-class self-possessed *****, so it's perfectly fine for me. :sly:

[b]Edit[/b]: Wow, wtf ***** is censored? So I can't say that Sleeping Beauty pricked her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel? That's pretty sad.

[b]Edit2:[/b] Oho, so it's context sensitive. So is '*****' censored as well?

[b]Edit3:[/b] Okay, that's kinda cool. Still means you can't say "it'll just be a small ***** and then it's over". But what about snigger?

[b]Edit4:[/b] HAHA THAT IS AWESOME

[b]......edit5[/b]: wanker? y/n?
[/font] Edited by Allamorph

[quote name='Allamorph' date='05 July 2010 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1278364700' post='696595']
[font="Calibri"]Haha. =D
Nah, I think I'll pass. :P[/font]
[/quote]
your loss, but you can do with it as you will...i hear they go for millions(absolutly nothing)on the black market.

i like people who make a mistake or two... even if its an odd one like using you're in place of your(i have seen the inverse of that one many times... but using more effort to be wrong just seems funny to me) or a common one like leaving out an apostrophe.
i find nothing is more relaxing then completely avoiding the shift button... i find myself deleting words i used a capital letter on to stay consistent.

EDIT: pricks pricked a *****? Edited by CaNz

EDIT: Uhm, I don't remember posting anything earlier, but then I read the post and... Wow. The next time I take enough pain medication to stun a bull elephant, I think I'll lock up my laptop first. I decided the stuff below isn't too bad, but still...

You know what? We need more words for "love", okay? I don't like that I can say, "I love your socks!" with the same word that I say "I love you," to people I care about? Does anyone understand that or is that the meds talking? Or rather, typing. Edited by chibi-master

[b]I understood the whole 'love' thing, Chibi. I agree with you. We need different words for love.

I guess that is what all of those other languages are for though. It's time to learn a second language I guess...[/b]

[quote name='Allamorph' date='05 July 2010 - 08:25 PM' timestamp='1278375946' post='696610']
[font="Calibri"]It's actually not a possessive in that case. It's a contraction, much like "it's". "mom is" becomes "mom's"; notice that the sentence "your mom's it" doesn't actually have a clear verb in it.

However, the overarching point is that the only people with whom you can correct grammar during casual conversation are other English-ophiles.because we should know better. Anything goes in a professional presentation, but driving yourself batty over txt-speech and the almost complete lack of rules will do absolutely nothing (since your addressee won't care) and will label you as a first-class self-possessed *****.

I'm already a first-class self-possessed *****, so it's perfectly fine for me. :sly:[/font][/quote]

So is apostrophe s ever used in a possessive case? I always thought it was, at least under some circumstances.

And there's some difficult rules when it comes to words that end in s, too. I think I understand them, for the most part, but only very recently, so I've never been able to utilize them. Like..."Jesus's stuff" would be right in that case, and "The peoples' stuff" would be right in that one. Right? Or am I just making stuff up?

I usually don't correct grammar at all. Seeing the wrong form of "your/you're" and occasionally even "lose/loose" makes me go :eyebrow: inside for a moment before I get over it, but this morning brought a seemingly a constant barrage of it.

And now for something completely different, watch this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Z1PXxI1qI&feature=related[/media]

I cry every single time. Sometimes I only have to think about the music and I start tearing up. Edited by Tonks

[quote name='Tonks']So is apostrophe s ever used in a possessive case? I always thought it was, at least under some circumstances.[/quote]
[font="Calibri"]The question shouldn't be "is [i]'s[/i] ever used in possessive", but rather "what kind of possessive am I using". [i]If[/i] the word is a possessive, [i]'s[/i] is used for anything except pronouns; [i]his[/i], [i]hers[/i], [i]yours[/i], [i]theirs[/i], and [i]its[/i] do not use apostrophes because doing so makes little sense.

If you're going to focus on just when to use [i]'s[/i], you're going to run into a lot of confusion between possessive words and contractions of "___ is".

The whole "possessive words ending in S" is always a bit weird. You can almost interchange [i]Jesus's[/i] and [i]Jesus'[/i] without a problem, but you can't do [i]Chris'[/i], and [i]The Stevens's[/i] just looks weird. Only thing I can think to say there is in the case of proper nouns, if it's singular use [i]'s[/i], and if it's plural you can just tack on an apostrophe.[/font]

[QUOTE name='Tonks']I usually don't correct grammar at all.[/QUOTE]
[font="Calibri"]Good habit to get into. :huh:[/font] Edited by Allamorph

[quote name='CaNz' date='05 July 2010 - 09:33 PM' timestamp='1278380012' post='696616']
why not mess up french too?
je suis parle francais bonne
[/quote]

Cause french is the language for quitters and losers.

[quote name='chibi-master' date='06 July 2010 - 08:35 AM' timestamp='1278398126' post='696653']
Who wants to join the new cult James and I are starting about Ace? :)
[/quote]

What's the dress code?