OtakuBoards

The Padded Room Party: Random Thoughts

Shy

[size=1]The strange thing is that in California (and probably elsewhere) we have a roller coaster also known as Superman: Escape. However it's nothing like the one you linked to in Australia, James. Ours sends you shooting out of the station at break-neck speed, up a steep incline, and then backwards. The ride itself is maybe only a minute long, but it's very intense.

[url]http://www.joyrides.com/sfmm/superman1.htm[/url]

Despite the fact that I have worked in theme parks for a number of years (Maybe because of that, actually) I'm not a huge coaster fan like I used to be. Maybe I'm just getting old.

-Shy[/size]

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Shy][size=1']Please don't post stupid cat photos in this thread. There is a separate thread in this forum for that crap.[/size][/quote]So does this mean you're a dog person? XD I personally love cats, but mainly because my cat George is back at home with my parents. :catgirl:

I'd have him with me but the apartment I'm in doesn't allow pets. Plus, my roommate is allergic to them so even if I could, I wouldn't bring him. I still miss him a lot though. [/FONT]

[FONT="Garamond"]I've been watching the show Lost lately. I watched the entire first season, and then skipped to season five to stay current. It's pretty swell.

I just want to say how much I hate [I]required [/I] one credit college classes. They are a gigantic waste of time!! Anyone else feel this way?

Oh, one more thing:

Bruce Lee > Chuck Norris[/FONT]

[quote name='Neptune'][FONT="Garamond"]I've been watching the show Lost lately. I watched the entire first season, and then skipped to season five to stay current. It's pretty swell.

I just want to say how much I hate [I]required [/I] one credit college classes. They are a gigantic waste of time!! Anyone else feel this way?

Oh, one more thing:

Bruce Lee > Chuck Norris[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Yes, one credit classes suck, and Chuck is way better than Bruce, so take it back!

[quote name='Athena'][size=1][color=indigo][b]James[/b]- The Superman? I didn't find that one all that great...then again, I waited in line for that ride nearly 2 1/2 hours after I had already taken a ride on The Batman (which was way cool) so Superman was kinda a flop for me.

[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Wait... you went on Superman Escape at Movieworld in Queensland? :confused:

There's a bit of a rivalry between Movieworld and Dreamworld too. Dreamworld had the Giant Drop (one of those big towers with a bench seat that lifts you up and then drops down really fast). Now Movieworld has Batman Spaceshot, which is the same type of thing... except the seat lifts up a bit, hovers (with steam jets shooting out underneath)...and then fires you upward really fast. It sort of goes up and down and then hovers back to the ground. It's kind of fun. It even makes a sonic boom noise when you get high enough.[/font]

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]Lunox what the heck are those things? Owls? Demons!?

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]

Owls, you nut, owls. The Tyto family, I'm sure. Probably Grass Owls or Sooty Owls.

I ADORE OWLS! Especially the Tytos, Barn Owls (Tyto Alba) are the best!:catgirl:

[quote name='Athena'][size=1][color=indigo]OMG those owls are F---ING scary!! I [b]hate[/b] owls!! *runs away to hide somewhere*

I wish I could be an Earthbender :([/size][/color][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]Well at least it wasn't clowns. Because I don't like clowns. They scare me. Especially after than one ep of CSI where the woman and her husband killed a clown... I don't know where this was going.

Ooh Earthbending... nope, I'd rather be a fire bender. Just as long as I didn't end up being a crazy fire bender because that would just be horrid.

Hmm anything else? Well what about a picture of Sokka since we're talking about Bending?

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26826&d=1238558168[/IMG][/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium]Anyway yeah about the rollercoaster thing...this one was a bit of a pain, because [B]even when your head is pressed back against the seat,[/B'] it still moves left and right on turns.[/font][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Well there's your problem. I leaned back, I didn't press backwards. :p

I think you're right about the involuntary thing, though. It's natural instinct to tense up when you're constantly feeling like you're about to crash spectacularly into the ground at ninety miles an hour in a ball of fire. I actually make a [I]conscious effort[/I] to relax. And really, there's so little space between the sides of the coaster and your head's natural position that a bit of flopping around isn't going to cause any serious pain. At the worst, it's about as annoying as skinning your knee.

Get off the ride and give yourself a good shake, and you should be perfectly fine.

For experience's sake, I've been to Six Flags Louisville and Georgia, though last time I was in Georgia I wasn't really in a coaster mood. Been on The Batman (hang below the track), Chang (standup), Georgia Cyclone and Thunder Run (both woodens) . . . oh, and The Cannonball at Lake Winnepesaukah (also wooden).

Wooden coasters are nuts. You think you feel sore after getting off one of the modern ones? Those are smooth, man. The wooden ones will beat the ever-loving snot out of you. Cyclone even doubles back on itself and goes over/under at spots, and there's one section where I [I]swear[/I] you will think you're about to be decapitated. Ridden it three times and can't shake the feeling. Thunder Run is this rickety thing that basically goes in a loop, and every time you go 'round a turn you're thrown against the outside.

Sit on the inside for that one. People make better cushions than do sides of coaster cars. Also my dad has a lot more mass than I do (in a muscle-predominant way), so I got off feeling decidedly thinner left-to-right. :animestun [I]*wobble*[/I]

And actually, [COLOR=DarkRed]Nerdsy[/COLOR] standups are quite safe. Unless something goes horribly wrong. And if that happens . . . well, then it happens. No use worrying about whether it'll happen. I mean, the park staff and engineers go out of their way to make sure it [I]doesn't[/I] happen. It's what they get paid to do, ya know?[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Well there's your problem. I leaned back, I didn't press backwards. :p

I think you're right about the involuntary thing, though. It's natural instinct to tense up when you're constantly feeling like you're about to crash spectacularly into the ground at ninety miles an hour in a ball of fire. I actually make a [I]conscious effort[/I] to relax. And really, there's so little space between the sides of the coaster and your head's natural position that a bit of flopping around isn't going to cause any serious pain. At the worst, it's about as annoying as skinning your knee.

Get off the ride and give yourself a good shake, and you should be perfectly fine.
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I wish I could have leaned back actually. The seat was pretty much on a ninety degree angle. Ouch.

In any case, they do ask you to relax, but apart from the whole involuntary thing (which makes their recommendation redundant), there's quite a bit of space between your head and the restraints. Not to mention the fact that the restraints are about as soft as concrete. That doesn't make a great deal of sense to me (wouldn't you have hard restraints coated in something soft?)

Anyway, my neck/shoulders were very sore for about three days afterwards. But now they feel a lot better. I figured it was just a simple muscle strain thing.

In any case, it didn't stop the ride from being fun! :animeswea

I haven't read that book Lunox, but it sounds interesting. There are many terrible things that happened in the name of colonialism/imperialism. In Australia I think we are still living with the remnants of this even today.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms]It's interesting, although it's not something I would read for fun to be honest. I've been thinking of maybe concentrating on postcolonial literature for my English major.

I have a question about Austrailia- I've been thinking about studying abroad there. How do people there feel about Americans in general/how are tourists treated?[/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms]I have a question about Austrailia- I've been thinking about studying abroad there. How do people there feel about Americans in general/how are tourists treated?[/font][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Americans are pretty warmly welcomed here, as are all tourists really. So I don't think there would be any problem.[/font]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]And actually, [COLOR=DarkRed]Nerdsy[/COLOR] standups are quite safe. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Oh, I'm sure they're just as save as any other kind of roller coaster, but there's just something about going super fast through a loop while standing up that just don't mesh with my survival instincts.

Rational or not.[/color]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]Well at least it wasn't clowns. Because I don't like clowns. They scare me. Especially after than one ep of CSI where the woman and her husband killed a clown... I don't know where this was going.

Ooh Earthbending... nope, I'd rather be a fire bender. Just as long as I didn't end up being a crazy fire bender because that would just be horrid.

Hmm anything else? Well what about a picture of Sokka since we're talking about Bending?

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26826&d=1238558168[/IMG][/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

Hehehe! Quotes, they makes me giggle.:box:

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]At this moment I am eatting the crust from a chicken pot pie (the best part IMHO) and have read some more of [B]The Other Boylen Girl[/B] by [B]Philipa Gregory[/B] and am constantly thinking OMG this girl got married when she was twelve years old! That is bloody insane!

I'm also doing a virus scan and wondering what my friend Lisa is going to do to me now that I have played a joke on her. I told her I was breaking up with my boyfriend because he was too short. ;)

And James do Australians like Americans or Canadians better?[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='Athena'][size=1][color=indigo][b]Ace[/b]- Your banner and avi set rocks! (pun intended, hehe) Toph is my favorite character! She is amazing.

I wish I could be an Earthbender :([/size][/color][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Thanks! I figured I needed to show her the love since she's the second greatest fictional character in the history of ever and everyone already has a Kamina set.

And what's with this? Blatant Avatar fanservice and no Azula?

[CENTER][IMG]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/Aceburner85/Azula15.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

I love these threads where spam is the topic.[/FONT]

[font=trebuchet ms] Azula is so overrated. Everyone was obsessed with her because she was a powerfuly and bitchy/evil and somehow this was really edgy and meaningful, sort of like how some Harry Potter fans are obsesed with the Malfoys and Bellatrix simply because they're powerful and evil. I don't get it.[/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] sort of like how some Harry Potter fans are obsesed with the Malfoys and Bellatrix simply because they're powerful and evil. I don't get it.[/font][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I liked Bella because she was bat**** crazy, and I can respect that.[/color]

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]Has anyone had to deal with this alleged Conficker computer worm yet?

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]

All it did was update itself so no mass computer brickings or any of that lark :D

Bit of an anti-climax really

[font=franklin gothic medium]So I may [i]not[/i] have this job after all. There are a few parts of the contract that I want them to amend and I'm not sure that they are so willing! :nervous:

I'm not too worried though. It'd be a nice job, but I'm pretty happy with my current one too. And in this current climate... I'd rather that than no job at all![/font]

[SIZE="1"]Sleep deprivation over a 72 hour period drastically increases one's desire to kill loud, dirty housemates. Also Hollywood portrays blood spray from neck slashes with varying accuracy. [/SIZE]