OtakuBoards

Character Limit

Nerdsy

[color=deeppink]Is there some way we can make it so that, when posting videos, the character limit doesn't come into effect?

I mean, I realize that when posting a picture the character limit is satisfied because of the length of most URLs whereas the snippet from a Youtube URL is much shorter. It's just that I find it a bit off-putting when I can post a picture without saying anything but a video needs some commentary.

I think if we allow one, we should allow the other. This is assuming, of course, that such a thing is even feasible. [/color]

[SIZE="1"]25 minimum characters for a post, it was bumped up from ten a few months back to get people to put more effort in their posts. Strange though I thought the Youtube link was already exempt from the requirement.[/SIZE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I don't know that anything you put in a post is exempt. I don't think vB can differentiate between actual post contents and other stuff. But we'll have a look and see if there's a way around it.[/font]

[color=#4B0082]vB doesn't count any bb tags towards the character limit and I don't think there's any option to change that. There is, however, a little trick to get around the character limit when posting videos. After the video ID, type an ampersand (&) and then thirteen letters/numbers (avoid punctuation and other symbols, some can cause problems) after it to reach the limit.

What that does is tack the extra stuff onto the URL of where the video is being loaded from and the ampersand makes it get treated as a PHP option. But since you typed gibberish and no such option exists, it's just ignored and the video loads normally.

So, for example, instead of putting [u]40AfgPFKChk[/u] between the youtube tags you'd put [u]40AfgPFKChk&nyaaaaaaaaaaa[/u].[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]vB doesn't count any bb tags towards the character limit and I don't think there's any option to change that. There is, however, a little trick to get around the character limit when posting videos. After the video ID, type an ampersand (&) and then thirteen letters/numbers (avoid punctuation and other symbols, some can cause problems) after it to reach the limit.

What that does is tack the extra stuff onto the URL of where the video is being loaded from and the ampersand makes it get treated as a PHP option. But since you typed gibberish and no such option exists, it's just ignored and the video loads normally.

So, for example, instead of putting [u]40AfgPFKChk[/u] between the youtube tags you'd put [u]40AfgPFKChk&nyaaaaaaaaaaa[/u].[/color][/QUOTE][size=1]I am going to start appending [b]&nyaaaaaaaaaaa[/b] to all of my witty-yet-unfortunately-under-25-character posts.

Thanks, Des![/size]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]I don't know that anything you put in a post is exempt. I don't think vB can differentiate between actual post contents and other stuff. But we'll have a look and see if there's a way around it.[/font][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Doesn't count quotes.

This text is to lengthen this post, which proves my point. Not that it's a bad thing. I like talking.[/FONT]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082][u]40AfgPFKChk&nyaaaaaaaaaaa[/u][/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]*PUNCHES*

...Yeah, I got nothin'. The character limit doesn't really hinder me here. Now, on theO, on the other hand...

Uh, and quotes count, Ace. lol[/SIZE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Try to keep &nyaaaaaa to YouTube stuffs only, please. :catgirl:

For some reason I've had trouble posting YouTube videos in general, even though everyone else's display correctly for me. *shrug* I'm not sure what that's about.

Anyway I hope this solution helps, even though it's kind of awkward.[/font]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']For some reason I've had trouble posting YouTube videos in general, even though everyone else's display correctly for me. *shrug* I'm not sure what that's about.[/font][/quote]I've edited a number of posts for people in the Lounge since they didn't work, and usually it's a case of them putting the tag for the video in the wrong spot or putting the entire url when they only need the last bit for it to work. I don't know if that's what you're doing, but it's possible. o_O

[color=#4B0082]For the record, text between quote tags isn't counted towards the character limit either. There's an option for that and it's set to not count.

And yeah, make sure you're not putting the entire URL between the youtube tags. It should only be the video ID. (Stuff that comes after the video ID in the URL probably won't matter, as I showed in my previous post, but you can't include anything before it.) There's an example on the [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#youtube][u]vB Code List[/u][/url] page that shows which part to use.

I would've liked to make the tag so that you could just paste the entire URL, but I don't think it's possible with the way custom bb code works.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082] I would've liked to make the tag so that you could just paste the entire URL, but I don't think it's possible with the way custom bb code works.[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I recall Orange Lazarus had that setup towards the end. I believe it started with just the snippit, but nobody knew how to use it so it got changed.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]The problem I ran into when making the tag was that the URL for embedding a video is different from that of viewing it normally. So, for example, you'd use http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40AfgPFKChk for viewing the video on its web page but http://www.youtube.com/v/40AfgPFKChk for embedding it. What the youtube tags do is simply take the video ID between them and stick it into the URL of the embed code's HTML ? which is the extent of what you can do with custom bb code, a straight substitution of the bb tags for a chunk of HTML.

To be able to use the whole URL there'd need to be a little script that would get called to extract the video ID from the URL and then plug that into the embed HTML. It would probably be possible that way (theO uses the whole URL for YouTube embedding so there's gotta be a way) but I don't know how to write such a script.[/color]

[size=1]Why again are we seeing how we can create posts with only videos in them? Like said, all the cool kids use EDEDED as the colour of the rest of their text if the cool kids ever get stuck in such a situation anyway.

Until very recently nobody really bothered. All of a sudden there was a huge rush of everyone trying to make witty posts with one-liners, cat pictures, videos and all the shambalam that was normally put away for the people who are actually funny like that. Just let the would-be-witty people put some effort into their would-be-attempt at wittiness.

Just as an idea for the rest: Try quoting people who said stuff that was cooler than what you could come up with by just copying it and putting it quote-unquote. [URL=http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Mahatma_Gandhi/][u]Ghandi quotes.[/u][/url][/size]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]Whenever I want to circumvent the 25 character limit, I insert a 1x1 pixel transparent GIF into my post.

I'm a cheater like that.

[URL]http://www.otakuboards.com/showpost.php?p=835484&postcount=238[/URL]

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Boo'][size=1]Why again are we seeing how we can create posts with only videos in them? Like said, all the cool kids use EDEDED as the colour of the rest of their text if the cool kids ever get stuck in such a situation anyway.
[/u][/url][/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]And I thought I was cool. [I]Bummer.[/I] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
[font=franklin gothic medium]So this issue has now been sorted out once and for all - minimum characters per post has been removed completely.

Really, the minimum character requirement was getting smaller and smaller all the time anyway. I don't think it's even relevant anymore, especially now that a lot of people post images or video responses to things.[/font]

[quote name='James'][FONT=franklin gothic medium]So this issue has now been sorted out once and for all - minimum characters per post has been removed completely.

Really, the minimum character requirement was getting smaller and smaller all the time anyway. I don't think it's even relevant anymore, especially now that a lot of people post images or video responses to things.[/FONT][/quote] Hail to the chief!