OtakuBoards

It's Time To Cool Down

Horendithas

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"]It's that time of year again, for some of us, where the days are long and sunny and on the hot side. So when that comes up, I find that I tend to start picking up more of what I call summer foods. Stuff that is in season and is very refreshing on a hot day.

Take watermelon for example, I love getting that and cutting it up into squares before stuffing it in the fridge. Then later on, it makes a wonderful chilled snack. It's especially good after I've just come in from being out in the heat.

If I'm not really hungry but want to cool down, then in addition to ice water, I love fixing up iced lemonade. I also like to take cran-grape juice and freeze it into Popsicles. So what do you like to have when it's time for something cool and refreshing? =P [/COLOR][/FONT]

I'm really not one that's bothered by the heat, but I always find myself stocking up on country time.

Really I don't change my eating habits (besides cooking out, but that doesn't exactally fit here).

hehe I do hit the neighbor hood ice cream man up when he rolls by once a day (could be why I never seem to lose the winter weight I put on).

[SIZE="1"]Given how rare good weather during summer is over here, I think just about everyone switches over to barbecue. Eating outdoors in the evening with family is great when there's still a gentle heat to make things comfortable is but during the hotter parts of the afternoon I'm a big fan of grape juice or blackcurrant juice with ice as a way of cooling off. Might try that popsicle idea of yours Crys.

Also, fans/air-conditioning are absolutely vital. ^_^[/SIZE]

[size=1]Summer is bad for me. I have to change hair products because the strong stuff I use tends to 'melt' and if I stay out overnight I need to bring straighteners because my hair goes wavy from sweat.

That being said, I tan nicely, so that's all good.

The only habit I change in summer is not eating in the day; I eat at night so I can have really hot stuff, or I'll have a BBQ outside with mates. I also tend to smoke a lot more in the summer.

To cool off I take freezing showers and baths. Why freezing? Because I have relatively cold showers in the winter anyway. I also drink water instead of anything else.[/size]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Also freeze-pops. :)[/FONT][/QUOTE]
This and if I don't have anywhere to go later that day, or the next day, ice cream. (I get the runs... tmi?)

And then I also do gatorade/powerade. (But then again, that's almost every other day for me.)

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']I'm really not one that's bothered by the heat, but I always find myself stocking up on country time. [/quote]I don't mind heat either, however I absoutely hate being cold so I love summer since stuff that's cold, doesn't bother me like it normally would. I avoid things that cool you down during the winter. lol

Anyway, I like making frozen juice pops and cutting up different stuff like watermelon and catelope to have as a snack later. I'll also add ice to my soda, the rest of the year I don't since I can't stand the cold. It's also the time when I love making lemonade and chilling it.

And though it doesn't cool you down, I love outdoor cooking, which goes really well with homemade ice cream and other frozen treats. [/FONT][/COLOR]

In the summer I usually tend to leave my windows open and lie on the floor for hours, fan running and ice cream dribbling out of the corner of my mouth... Come to think of it, with my room in shambles as it is, I guess it looks more like a crime scene than the picture of summer relaxation...

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I live in the complete opposite place from Basement Cat, so I guess I don't get the added pleasure of having cold ground underneath my feet (paws?).

I'm an all-seasons soda drinker, but I love getting a soda from the fridge after a day out in the sun. I also enjoy having Powerade or Gatorade, but nothing beats a nice cold can of Pepsi. Although I'm pretty sure my kidneys are not going to be functioning by the time I turn 25....[/FONT]

While I don't like the heat that much, I do enjoy it when there is no rain. But yeah, cooling down with stuff filled with ice.

Eating one of these ( [URL="http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_44Y9GmD1X1Y/SSPGipzJDeI/AAAAAAAAAlQ/YzVJOIpNDsU/s320/halohalo-1.jpg"][U]link[/U][/URL]) is one of my favorites during summer. Nothing like getting your mouth numb fromt the ice. ^_~

One of my favorites got to be ice-cold chocolate drinks. Also, regular trips to the refrigerator for a glass of water is needed.

[COLOR="Indigo"]POPSICLES!

YES!

That's basically all I eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner when it's hot outside. Lime ones, banana ones, cherry ones....

Yeah, all very refreshing and cold. I also eat a lot of ice cream. Yep, ice cream is awesome. :animesmil[/COLOR]

[quote name='chibi-master']AWW! But summer rain is the best part about summer![/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Agreed. The smell of wet pavement is one of the best smells in the world to me. That and fresh leaf mold and whatnot.

In the really hot weather I freeze clusters of grapes to eat and turn out all the lights except my computer and turn on the overhead fans as our house has no AC. Darn that was a long sentence.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"]Well usually, I like to make home made ice cream, but since I'm away at college, I don't have the ice cream maker with me. So I just have to get some of my favorites from the store. I also like getting Popsicles. The rest of the time, I just use lots of ice in all my drinks during the summer. I love making iced lemonade. :catgirl:[/FONT]

Agreed with Bagheera up there. Although I do love a cold soda, I can't just drink that stuff on its own. It's better as a compliment to a good dinner.

But yes, in general summer is not such a happy time for me. Having the sunny weather is nice, definitely, however I'm photo-sensitive thanks to my medication and I cannot stand bugs.

At least there's the benefit of good food. Steak, melons, various kinds of ice cream treats... mmmm boy~

This time of year is when I start putting everything I drink in the fridge so it's nice and cold when I get it. Soda, juice, lemonade, etc. Of course I also break out the ice trays so I have plenty of ice on hand too. Also, freeze pops and ice cream are perfect on a really hot day.

[quote name='chibi-master']AWW! But summer rain is the best part about summer![/QUOTE]

Not when you got plans for the day though... > > something that involves outdoor stuff... But, yeah, if you're stuck in the house, nothing like a little rain to get rid of the warmness.