OtakuBoards

The Great Rebellion – Summit

Allamorph

[quote name='CaNz']even if the trainer definition is broad, how many people have taught there pokemon to fight well? i would think the number would be kind of high... the games arnt the best thing to base it on, but it seemed like most of the people want to battle with them.[/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]Why?

I realise that just asking that question might be a tad infuriating, but it [I]is[/I] necessary. I don't disagree, but I don't yet agree either. All I want you to do is explain.

Pretend the concept is foreign to me, and convince me.[/FONT]

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=Green][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Sorry for being MIA for a while. I haven't really had many ideas, and real life sort of got in the way anyway. I'll get caught up on what I missed when I have time.

I have a question, though. There are towns in both regions that have no gym (Pallet, Lavender, New Bark, Cherrygrove). Since they have no gym leader to determine affiliation with the league or the protesters, do the gym-less towns have an affiliation, or are they neutral by default?
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]Why?
[/FONT][/quote]
well, they may not intend to use their pokemon for fighting purposes, but whatever it is they do with their pokemon, they are still meant for battle by nature. every pokemon learns how to fight as it grows, and everything they do can be used in battle. they could have a charmander that they have around just to light the logs in their fireplace, but it could still light another pokemon on fire the same way.

from the moment these things whip there tails around they learn how to fight, so when war breaks loose and people have no choice, they could tell there pokemon to do what they do best. its like they have a knife. you can use it for preparing food, opening things, or killing people. some people may just want to use that knife for opening boxes, but it doesnt take away its ability to kill.

I dont know what separates the trainers pokemon from the average, and its especially murky since there is no levels, or any way to show differences in strength that i can see... but unless you stop pokemon from being what they are, anyone who has one should be able to use it in a battle.

[COLOR=Green][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]My 2 cents on the "what does trainer mean exactly" discussion:

Going by the games and its concept of ID numbers, everyone who plans to own pokemon, no matter what they plan on doing with them, needs to register and get some sort of license, kind of like how you need a dog license to own a dog in most of America, Canada, and some other countries. This is where the ID number comes from. (Little kids who have pokemon as pets probably use a parent's ID number until they're old enough to register for their own, which according to the anime is 10 years old.)

Most people in the poke-world do train their pokemon to battle somewhat, since walking and biking seem to be the preferred ways of getting around the poke-world, and they leave you pretty unprotected from wild pokemon and other people. Since pokemon can double as pets and protectors and are readily available, a lot of people go with that.

The trainer label, though, is for people who raise their pokemon with competitive battling in mind. You have to register with the league if you plan on taking a gym challenge (where the trainer card comes from), but the gyms are open to anyone who wants to use their facilities to train (but only give out badges to officially registered trainers). Since not everyone who battles competitively goes for gym badges, and I'm sure not all competitive battling tournaments are officially sanctioned by the local league, it's pretty much up to the individual whether they they think the trainer label fits them.

But that's just my take on it.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Timber'][COLOR=Green][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Snip~
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"]That's interesting, becuase with the different jobs within the Pokemon universe don't all focus on battling, as we all know. There's breeders, researchers, medical staff and even merchants that specialize in Pokemon and even use Pokemon to do their specific jobs. So, I think that Pokemon in this case are used for more than just battling, because certain moves in the Pokemon universe also help others. So if anything, Pokemon are like the appliances the Flintsones have in their house, imo.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='CaNz']they are still meant for battle by nature. every pokemon learns how to fight as it grows, and everything they do can be used in battle.[/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]I thought you were going to say something like this, actually. However, you're basing your concept off of only the mechanics of the game. What is the point of the game? [I]To battle[/I].

But who are the only real people you meet in the games? [I]Trainers[/I]; i.e., people who have [I]trained[/I] their creatures to battle. In essence, a creature learning a move as it levels up, which you are interpreting as aging, is actually more likely to be the trainer having successfully taught the creature that move and thus adding it to the creature's battle plan.

Also note that in the games the creatures are [I]forced[/I] to only remember four "moves" at a time, whereas in reality it's far more likely that the additional "move" would simply be added to the creature's prior knowledge without the loss of anything previous.

So yes, it's true that every [I]battle[/I] move a pokémon learns can be used in battle, but that's not the extent of what they can learn, nor does it define the universe in which we're operating. Example: in the series, there are cases now and again where a pokémon is assisting in the construction of something or other. What move(s) would, say, carrying logs correspond to? Or would it be just something the owner taught their creature to do?

In essence, don't confine yourself to reasonings based solely on the game mechanics. You do that, and everything because stiff and clunky. The important part is to say "how would this work if it were real?".

[quote name='Timber][COLOR=Green][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Going by the games and its concept of ID numbers, everyone who plans to own pokemon, no matter what they plan on doing with them, needs to register and get some sort of license, kind of like how you need a dog license to own a dog in most of America, Canada, and some other countries.[/FONT][/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]
This is true. However, look at that situation in real life [I]again[/I] with the knowledge of how many pets (cats, dogs, whichever) are [I]not[/I] registered because the owners don't feel it to be necessary. The systems are identical, I'll give you that. But in that case, it would also follow that there would be identical people who would see no reason to register their pets at all.

However, within that same logic it would be impossible for a registered trainer to have an unregistered pokémon and still enter competition with it. And while it would be [I]possible[/I] for a registered trainer to have an unregistered pokémon as a pet, such a thing would only be feasible with amateur/hobbyist trainers—and would be unthinkable for professional ones, who are far more exposed to the public eye.

[quote name='Timber][COLOR=Green][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Most people in the poke-world do train their pokemon to battle somewhat, since walking and biking seem to be the preferred ways of getting around the poke-world, and they leave you pretty unprotected from wild pokemon and other people.[/FONT][/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]
For my part, I consider pokémon to encompass the entire natural wildlife, leaving no room for "normal" pets like cats or dogs. [COLOR="DarkRed"]Kei[/COLOR] and I were recently discussing the implications of just that concept, and I'll probably expound on our collective thoughts on the matter and post it here later. For now, though, I think it's enough to say that pokémon make most non-communication tools completely irrelevant, meaning not that there would be no reason to buy them but also that there would be no reason to even [I]invent[/I] them.

As for traveling: consider that in the games all the "roads" are abysmally-maintained stretches of dirt riddled with hills and bluffs and grass and whatnot. Such situations do exist, but mostly they exist in extremely rural locations, and we've just been talking about how the populace is significantly larger than that, which means that there would be ample reason to level the roads between cities and exert some effort at maintaining them for commerce reasons.

Also of note is the whole "lurking in the grass" concept, which is only really possible if the grass is going to seed and at least two-thirds of a person high. Normal grass isn't near tall enough for anything except possibly caterpie and weedles to hide in—and that's assuming that caterpie and weedles are about the size of real caterpillars, which obviously isn't the case.

So to me it would seem that traveling between cities would not actually be as dangerous as the games make it out to be. In order to find wild pokémon, one would most likely be required to go into the wild in order to do it—which further raises the implication that there would be locations in certain cities where trainers could purchase pre-caught pokémon to either start or expand (on a basic level) their collection, especially considering I doubt Professor Oak is just waiting around to hand out critters to every wannabe Master Trainer.

But going back to the roads, the "going into the wilds to find the wild" notion is reinforced by a regularly maintained road system. Wild creatures go out of their way to avoid unknown contact, whether or not they're stronger. Consider the black bear.

[quote name='Korey][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"]So, [strike]I think that[/strike] Pokemon in this case are used for more than just battling, because certain moves in the Pokemon universe also help others. So if anything, Pokemon are [also] like the appliances the Flintstones have in their house[strike], imo[/strike].[/COLOR][/SIZE'][/FONT][/quote]
Fix'd.

But yes, basically. It's a touch more complex than that, especially with the duality of the same creatures being used for common household use and competitive battling, but that's sort of where [COLOR="DarkRed"]Kei[/COLOR] and I were headed.

[B]Edit:[/B] Whoops, missed something. :animeswea

[quote name='Timber][COLOR=Green][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]I have a question, though. There are towns in both regions that have no gym (Pallet, Lavender, New Bark, Cherrygrove). Since they have no gym leader to determine affiliation with the league or the protesters, do the gym-less towns have an affiliation, or are they neutral by default?[/FONT][/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]
To fully answer this, I think I need to spend a crapload of head time on what government system the universe uses at this point in time. At the moment, though, I'm inclined to say that towns with gyms are more like larger cities (say, Chicago or Tampa) which have the means to actually hold official stuff, and other, smaller towns, though they may have unofficial (or at least less prestigious) events, aren't as focal to the games themselves.

That's about the best I can do right now without several hours rumination and discussion.[/FONT]

yeah, this is your rp, so dont let me change your mind, i tend to stick to the anime and games more closely than most people here. I just don't see how a pokemon with abilities like fire, lightning and poison or whatever, couldn't be used for battle. when the creators of pokemon made them it was there intention to have them fight each other.

anime, manga, games, cards.... they all are the same, i would say the only pokemon thing not meant for violence is the figurines.

this is your story though so if you want pokemon that cant fight, why not? you could say that only trainers can make them attack at will. in real life you cant comand your cat to attack people no matter how much it likes you, however people who train dogs for protection can. it has nothing to do with the cat not listening to you, it just means you never told it to do it before, so it doesn't know what your asking right now.

[quote name='CaNz']I just don't see how a pokemon with abilities like fire, lightning and poison or whatever, couldn't be used for battle.[/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue][size=1]Before modern times, Pokémon that could use fire were like used to help create cooking fires and were possibly used to light old time lamp posts and things like that. These days, Pokémon that use electricity can be utilized as back up generators (something that actually happened in the Lake of Rage subplot in Gen. II/IV).[/color][/size]

[QUOTE]...when the creators of pokemon made them it was there intention to have them fight each other.[/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue][size=1]Yes and no. The creators intended to show a universe where the human population co-exists with creatures that use supernatural powers. Battling Pokemon actually derived from the co-habitation.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE]anime, manga, games, cards.... they all are the same, i would say the only pokemon thing not meant for violence is the figurines.[/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue][size=1]See above point.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE]this is your story though so if you want pokemon that cant fight, why not?[/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue][size=1]It's not that Pokémon can't fight: it's that this was not their original intended purpose. Pokémon develop their powers as a means of self-defense and as a means of getting on with their own lives. Once humans discovered their various powers and purposes, they began using them to help better human society. As society progressed and technology improved, people found less use for them as tools of daily living and thus, Pokémon battling gradually became a pastime. There are still areas where Pokémon are used as tools to this day, however.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE]you could say that only trainers can make them attack at will.[/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue][size=1]It would be better to say that competitive trainers can command their Pokémon to battle with others to gain experience and/or further themselves in competition.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE]in real life you cant comand your cat to attack people no matter how much it likes you however people who train dogs for protection can. it has nothing to do with the cat not listening to you, it just means you never told it to do it before, so it doesn't know what your asking right now.[/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue][size=1]The Juicy Fruit Attack Kitten says otherwise. =p

However, I don't understand the point you're trying to make with this statement. It sounds like you're trying to make a point about Pokémon using attacks that it's not supposed to know yet, which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. lol

The general point that I'm trying to make is that Pokémon [b]are not[/b] solely designed to be lean mean fighting machines. Both in the game and in the anime, it has been shown that people and Pokémon can work together to make a better society (there're no conservationalist undertones here, no sir).

Take for instance the short Pikachu and Pichu, which came before Pokemon 3 the Movie: Spell of the Unown. After the various hijinx, it showed a lot of Pokémon working together to help rebuild a playground in an urban area. The Squirtle Squad eventually became an all Pokémon fire-fighting team. At various times in the anime, Ash and countless other trainers have used their Pokémon to get out of tough real-life situations. That's had nothing to do with battling. That's using a Pokémon to make everyday life easier and using Pokémon to save lives.

So, while our story does have a lot of grit to it, the realistic elements of using Pokémon to help things along isn't entirely Farfetch'd. (I couldn't resist.)[/color][/size]

right, but just because you dont have to doesnt mean you cant. sure, the fire pokemon can light a candle, but if they can light a candle, why not another pokemon? I am not saying that pokemon have to fight, i am saying they should all have the [I]ability[/I] to do so.

also the trained dog thing was just an idea for if you wanted the pokemon who weren't used by trainers to not be able to fight.
i may be wrong but you seem not to agree with my thinking, so i just wanted to give a plausible solution for your side. it has nothing to do with moves, its just a way to lower the number of trainers/people that can use pokemon in fights. its more of a real life approach, but i dont think you guys mind that one.

i was just thinking its easier to change the trainers capabilities than it is to change pokemon. I would sooner believe that a person cant order the fire pokemon to attack than the fire pokemon not being able to attack... i mean... it shoots friggen fire...

[color=darkblue][size=1]Like I said, we're not changing -what the Pokémon can do-. We're broadening the scope of focus. The world is not all about battling. People do other things.

As an even more concrete example, the focus of this RP is not the fact that people fighting. It's the -effect- the fighting is having on the people and the world as a whole. Battling is just one small part.[/color][/size]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"]If this story is realistic in any sense of the word, I would imagine that battling Pokemon on the level required to be one of the elite, would be much like the Olympics. Only those with the best understanding, training, experience and skills would ever get that far. Everyone else would be doing it as either a hobby or pastime and the other vast majority of the population would be living their everyday normal lives. Which most of the time wouldn't include any form of fighting whatsoever. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='CaNz']i was just thinking its easier to change the trainers capabilities than it is to change pokemon.[/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]I have no idea on earth what you're talking about, or how the second half of that sentence ever got into your head.[/FONT]

okay... i tried my best to explain my thoughts, what dont you get? lets place it as simple as possible

1. i think pokemon should be able to fight no matter who owns them. this means that in war, a pokemon power-plant workers pikachu could still zap the hell out of another pokemon should war come to their doorstep, which i think it would if the rp is about a war.

2. since no one seems to agree with me, i proposed an idea. instead of stopping the pikachu from zapping people, make it so the owner cannot tell him to zap them.

this idea was based on guard dogs in real life. I have a bulldog sleeping right next to me, and even though he could probably break bones in that jaw of his i couldnt order him to attack anything. had i been a guard dog 'trainer' i could have taught him how though. the dog has the same capabilities but the person does not

so... if you guys dont want everyone with pokemon to use them in battle limit the trainers instead. make it so the only people who can fight with them people who specifically train them to do so for either the Olympic style gyms or as hobbies, that way pokemon can be integrated in society, still be able to have power, and limit the number of people who fight with them so that there wont be a bunch of fishermen, hikers and lasses fighting on the front lines.

i was just trying to be helpful....

[FONT=Calibri]Okay, I can see it's high time I dug in and cleared some stuff up. Whether or not you [I]are[/I] trying to explain yourself clearly, the fact remains that your attempts at explanations are either [I]not[/I] clear, or they are built on assumptions which you've taken for granted and which [COLOR="DarkRed"]Kei[/COLOR] or I have already deconstructed.

Fair warning: due to the nature of breaking down and ananlysing stuff, I am probably going to come across as extremely hostile.

I also suggest you read the entire post before attempting to respond to it. I'd [I]really[/I] prefer you read it twice, but I'm not picky.

First, when I said "I have no idea what you're talking about", I was referring to when you said "....instead of changing pokémon"—which I tried to communicate to you by [I]directly quoting the sentence in which you said it[/I]. No creatures are being "changed" in this game. They are at most being [I]modified[/I] to appear slightly more realistic, but that realism is confined to the Pokémon universe itself.

To wit: we are [U]not[/U] [U]removing[/U] any inherent abilities of [I]any[/I] creatures in the game. We are simply [I]adjusting[/I] them so that they don't appear as cartoony or childlike.

For instance, when a pikachu jolts someone with electricity, the most that will be visible to the eye is an extremely fast electrical arc, not a massive burst of yellow light. We are [I]not[/I] saying that pikachu (plural) can no longer fry people with electricity; we [I]are[/I] saying that pikachu defending themselves do not appear to be recreating the light show for the last Pink Floyd concert.

This is only one example out of probably thousands. I do not have the time or patience to sit down and reason out how each "move" would translate into a more realistic-feeling phrase and then present you with a list of them. I expect all players to do that for themselves [I]because[/I] I prefer to believe that all players are capable of doing so.

As for your notion that we're somehow making it so that wild creatures can no longer use their inherent abilities, consider the following:
[LIST=1][*]From a conceptual standpoint, a trainer's job is to teach his creatures to focus their abilities and use them at the correct tactical points instead of by reflex. A trainer can [I]not[/I] teach a charmander to blow fire because that requires that the trainer be able to blow fire himself. Any wild charmander can throw spurts of fire if it feels threatened, but the likelihood that such spurts will actually be effective is low.

What a trainer [I]can[/I] do is show their creature (over time) how to change the fire-breath from a wide, hard-to-dodge and slightly painful swathe to a controlled, focused, extremely potent gout; e.g., the difference between the power of Ember (burns you, doesn't hurt a whole lot) and Flamethrower.

But what I [I]also[/I] said was that a creature who learned how to make such a controlled lance of flame wouldn't all of a sudden forget how to just toss out some singing heat now and again. A four-move list was a gimmick of the games to simplify battles and promote strategic setups. We are [I]not[/I] RPing the games. This universe draws from the games (and the television/movie adaptations) for base ideas, but then [I]reinterprets them[/I] with the intent of realism.
[*]Did I ever once say that wild creatures had no abilities themselves? Again consider the black bear. A two month old black bear cub will [I]not[/I] be able to defend itself properly against a well-equipped and trained human coming to capture it, just as a level four nidoran is mostly inept and devoid of skills.

However, the cubs mother, who is probably half a decade old, will be [I]very[/I] well equipped to protect not only herself, but the cub as well, just like wild electrodes can blow up if cornered a wild dewgong can wipe your entire party if you're stupid. Both of these creatures are second evolutions in their species chain, which automatically means they're of a significant level, hence I didn't mention any specific level as age correlation.
[*]An amateur trainer (please note I said [I]amateur[/I]) who wishes to expand his collection and who is [I]not[/I] suicidal is going to go about catching pokémon at younger ages because there is less likelihood of said trainer getting killed in the process. This creature, because of its age, [I]will not know too much[/I]. A good trainer, then, will pay attention to the critter and notice its behavior and abilities, and hopefully do a bit of homework on the species, and so go about preparing the creature for what he wants it to do.

This isn't to say that a creature untrained in combat will not be able to "use any of its moves" (inasmuch as there are even actual moves in this universe), but rather to say that [I]if[/I] such an untrained creature were to suddenly be thrown into combat then [I][U]it[/U] [U]would[/U] [U]die[/U][/I]. It might die fighting, and it might die valiantly, but because of its inexperience it would still die.

Just so, a natural guard dog left untrained would die defending its master if the assailant had a gun because the dog had not been trained what to do around firearms.[/LIST]

Further, I have already "limited the amount of trainers" simply by classifying them. Professional trainers and their creatures will be good at combat. Amateur trainers and their creatures have the potential to be good at combat, but this isn't guaranteed. Hobbyist trainers (as in people who just want the companionship) have a small chance to be good at combat, but generally speaking they will suck.

Limiting the amount of people who are actually able to own pokémon is idiotic. In this universe there are no other kinds of creatures. For all practical intents and purposes, "pokémon" = "animal"—which is why I keep switching off referring to them as creatures and critters and what. Therefore, if we were to suddenly decide that in this universe the only people who were even able to own pokémon were registered and combat-experienced trainers, it would be tantamount to saying that possession of said creatures must be state-sanctioned, and with the present form of established government that simply will not gel.

Earlier I said "just because a creature can battle doesn't mean they have to battle", to which you replied "just because they don't have to doesn't mean they can't". Without exception, everyone who read that post had about two seconds of dead thought. Here's why.

My statement of logic said essentially this: "just because you [I]can[/I] open your mouth doesn't mean you [I]should[/I]".

Yours said this: "just because you don't have to open your mouth doesn't mean you can't".

[I]Technically[/I] the statement is true. But it says absolutely nothing of value. All it does is reinforce the potential for action, and, like I said just a moment ago, ability to take action does not guarantee the action will succeed.

In other words, little old wild riachu can try his darndest to shock the crap out of anything that threatens him, but if he's up against something prepared for that response he's going to lose regardless of his ability to defend himself.

The [I]ability[/I] isn't in question. The [I]effectiveness[/I] is, and that's where you have the distinction between older wild creatures and older trained creatures—and further where you have the distinction between older trained creatures and older creatures who are merely owned.

Lastly, I understand that you're attempting to help things. [COLOR="DarkRed"]Kei[/COLOR] understands that you're attempting to help things. Continually reiterating that you're attempting to help things only goes to show you're feeling insulted, and parading around your insulted feelings won't win you any arguments. It won't even win you sympathy in this crowd.

So instead of moaning about how you're not being understood, try to be understood. You might be surprised when people start understanding you.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]I was actually going to ask for clarification of "trainer". 'Cause really , there are probably a vast array of people who actually own and "train" the critters, whether it be professionally, as amateurs, for a hobby, or just as pets.

It's a lot broader scope than just labeling people as Trainers.[/FONT][/quote]

okay... this is what started it... i thought we were trying to figure this out... i had no idea you guys already knew what you wanted, i am not hurt, and i am not insulted. however when you say things like explain, why and even i dont know how that got in your head, i thought you wanted me to try and re-post my thoughts clearly.

bottom line is its your rp and i will follow whatever you say... so even if you say things like "[FONT=Calibri]being [I]modified[/I] to appear slightly more realistic" [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]is different than changed, and [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]"a natural guard dog left untrained would die defending its master if the assailant had a gun because the dog had not been trained what to do around firearms."[/FONT] which is exactly what i said last post, what YOU say is what i go off of.

I dont want you to think my opinion matters at all, since it does not, however when asked i will give it.

now the reason i wanted to post this s not because i am mad or hurt, but it is something to defend myself. your deconstruction of my points in these last few posts are valid, but i dont want people reading this to feel like i wasted their time, since it was not entirely my fault. this waist of time came from asking people something you already knew the answer to.

just by asking me why, instead of saying no, I was forced to defend my opinion that you had already known was wrong. I don't care why you did that, and you dont have to explain it to me, just consider that when you look back, so that you can see why i was so pressed on being understood.

[FONT=Calibri]inb4 this is sparta

Morty is now officially MIA. Anyone in the region is free to post about his teams rejoining the main Ecruteak escapees and fortifying positions or about search parties and the debates around that.

Blackthorn's reinforcements should provide a bit of a tide-turner for Ecruteak, but the escape moves forward.[/FONT]

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]That would be more a tournament license, equivalent to, say, a NASCAR driver or something.

But that still doesn't necessitate a license for people who simply want them for pets or for personal use. I don't really think equating pokémon to guns is an appropriate correlation. :p[/FONT][/QUOTE]I'm not sure how you got the correlation to guns in there. I was aiming more at what you first mentioned, like the NASCAR deal. :p

Pokemon are intelligent so for general house use you probably wouldn't need to register them or have a license. I imagine that either parents or even a class while in grade school would acquaint kids with the 'basics' of how to work with Pokemon.

I think the idea of a license would only come in if you were going to do more, like battling or even guiding one for construction work. So only then would you need something. After all there is the issue of safety concerns, even if Pokemon are vastly more intelligent than cars or construction vehicles.

That also fits neatly into the concept of being required to have more in-depth training and licensing requirements in order to compete at the higher levels. A person who didn't take the time to really develop a working bond with their Pokemon or to understand their limits, would run the risk of serious injury to the Pokemon, themselves, and possibly bystanders.

Kind of like how I had to go through special training in order to drive a Semi. Since that's way more than the other simple basic stuff for regular driving that doesn't require such attention to detail. Screwing up at that level can be downright lethal.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=SunfallE][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]That also fits neatly into the concept of being required to have more in-depth training and licensing requirements in order to compete at the higher levels. A person who didn't take the time to really develop a working bond with their Pokemon or to understand their limits, would run the risk of serious injury to the Pokemon, themselves, and possibly bystanders.

Kind of like how I had to go through special training in order to drive a Semi. Since that's way more than the other simple basic stuff for regular driving that doesn't require such attention to detail. Screwing up at that level can be downright lethal.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Calibri]Now [I]there's[/I] an interesting concept. Gyms offering trainer courses.

Or, hmm. Under normal circumstances offering trainer courses. Naturally the current regional upheaval makes that a tad peculiar.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]First off, we already know that Japan has issues with decent sizes of these things, so from our current standpoint we'd already be examining the Pokédex with about a gallon bucket of salt. Second, keeping in mind that the creators of this series are designing literal monsters and yet at the same time scaling back their own creations to be feasibly managed by humans, I think it's safe to say that many of these descriptions are geared towards people who are incapable of understanding the sheer magnitude of the claims.

Like, remember when you were a kid and the phrase "infinity-billion" was bandied about? Same thing.

Now, for example, I have no doubt that a (fully-grown) charizard's fire could actually melt rock, but the charizard either would have to continually apply its flame breath to the rock for an extended period of time in order for the heat to have any effect, or would have to breathe napalm in order for the residue to stick to the rock and melt it. The latter isn't out of the question, and is actually a better explanation than the former; i.e., glands that produce various acid that, when combined, combust and burn.

However, in the Pidgeot's case, a speed of that magnitude would enable it to travel one mile in just under two and a half seconds, and more than likely it would be unable to actually process anything received by its eyes.

And that says nothing of how ridiculous the wailord's "data" are. Able to sustain almost double the pressure on its body while having 0.97% (less than a hundredth) of the mass? Faugh.

And since the number 10,000 seems to be recurring, I think it's more accurate to say these statistics are pulled out of sphincters instead of "made up". :p[/FONT]

• 1 month later...
[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"]So... I talked to Ace and Korey and I was going to post when I finally finished my Thesis (which I did). But I got hit with a serious case of the 'do not want to do anything' mood and couldn't find myself motivated for nothing.

However that is fading and I will get my post up so Korey can follow on what I do. I'm mainly posting here so you all know that, yes I am alive and, yes I will post. :p[/COLOR][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
I've got my post up, now, too. Allamorph/Kei, I don't know what size you want the assault teams to be. Brand's currently has six people I've specifically mentioned, so is that a good size? Or would you rather it be larger? Because I've never specified its size; there's no reason I can't have more people in it. Also, I hope that stuff about 'battle sleep' was all right; it seemed like the kind of 'reinterpretation' you've been talking about.

Also, I'm not sure what will be done with the prisoners, but in case 'interrogation' is a possibility, I'd like to make sure it's known that Aesera would not object, and would probably even be the one to first suggest doing so (she's something of an ends-justify the-means type, although she'd never put it that way herself).

[color=darkblue][size=1]The size of the squad is fine. The thing is, though, that the mission here was really supposed to be more of a precision tactical air raid, so Falkner may not (read: will not) be pleased about there being ground action involved. And since the city is already on alert and there are troops on the ground, the squad's escape might be a bit more harried than your post would lead one to believe. There wouldn't necessarily be casulaties, but you'll probably have a bit of a rabble behind you. =p[/color][/size]