OtakuBoards

The Unseen Underground

Ellerby

[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"][center][img]http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1709/unseen2z.jpg[/img][/center]
This is the Backstage thread for the RP [b]The Unseen Rising[/b] which is currently in the audition phase. Any questions/comments/criticism/ideas you have just post them here!

[quote name='Vongola' date='06 July 2010 - 06:42 AM' timestamp='1278412971' post='696658']
[font="Book Antiqua"][b]Ideas/Extras:[/b] Will we have special equipment designed for combating or capturing ghosts and ghouls, likeâ??for lack of a better reference-- the spirit trapper from Ghost Busters? And I also want to make sure I understand this world correctly, as Iâ??m imagining it being in line with the Hellblazer series and the Constantine movieâ??is that correct?[/font]
[/quote]
Eh, we're trying to free the ghosts (some of them don't even realize they are dead and actually aren't evil) to allow them to move on as opposed to capturing and imprisoning them like the Ghostbusters do (how inhumane!). The truly evil and demonic spirits we obviously won't want to just set free and we'll have ways of dealing with that but better to think of that when we get there, hehe. I want to make this as realistic as possible (I've explained it as our Earth with a spike in paranormal activity) so all our tech will be pretty average (EMF meters, night-vision cameras, thermal vision cameras, microphones and recorders, etc).

[b]CanZ[/b], firstly you'll have to change your appearance picture (Hayley Williams, while she is super sexy I said no well-known celebrities). It's a pet peeve of mine to be reading about someone's character and imagining them in my head as someone I already know from something else. It always takes me out of the story. I don't blame you for trying though, Hayley Williams is smexy. :smirk:

Concerning the powers, I fear a lot of you are missing the scope of the RP I attempted to set out. This is supposed to be as realistic as possible and so are the powers. Imagine our Earth how it is right now, but with a sudden spike in paranormal activity (just evil spirits at the start and eventually demons and monsters) but for the beginning I want things to be fairly mundane just so we can get in the groove of things. We aren't globally known for our work, we're barely even known in North America, but we are one of the first paranormal teams to recognize the spike in activity.

For the most part, we've just been dealing with hauntings and so stuff like demons and monsters have yet to make their appearance (the idea is this spike in activity is just the beginning of a huge influx of baddies). For instance, Zachary does not believe in most paranormal things that aren't ghost-related (like the Sasquatch, Werewolves or Vampires) but some of those will definitely appear early on to his surprise. So I just wanted to make that clear to you guys.

That being said, the following powers need to be re-worked. [b]CanZ[/b], your power is a sort of GPS system for ghosts and [b]Knuckles' Girl[/b], your power seems to be very similar but not as powerful. I think it'd be cool if CanZ, your power was a long-range thing and Knuckles' was a very short-range power because otherwise they're basically the same. Keep in mind we've also got [b]DeLarge[/b] here who can actually see the ghosts and so sensing them in a small area may not seem useful, but if Knuckles' power goes beyond just sensing [i]ghosts[/i] than that might work. What do you guys think? I just don't want to have overlapping powers.

[b]AS FOR THE PETS[/b], I like the idea of some of us having a pet, but what I thought might be cooler is just having a team pet (i.e. Slimer from Ghostbusters). I was contemplating bringing my character from the other Unseen RP in as a character for everyone to use (click [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/index.php?/topic/44222-the-unseen-darkness-rising/page__view__findpost__p__692564]here[/url]). He's basically the spirit of a young boy trapped within a Cat. We could even go as far as him splitting his spirit into the bodies of all the pets in our team (someone could have a bird, a ferret, etc) and so we'd essentially have more than one pet, but they'd all be the same character (and they'd be able to talk to us telepathically). I'm just brainstorming at the moment, if you guys just want regular pets that's cool too. Pets will be an open-discussion for now. Some of you may like the idea but others may feel like it doesn't fit with the RP. DISCUSS!

[b]Finally[/b], there seems to be a bit of confusion about the actual world this happens in. The idea is (I know I've said this like three times now) that it's our Earth how it is now but with more paranormal activity than normal. Once the RP starts going, I'm going to have a certain event take place and that will really open up the Paranormal Activity for us to play with (it'll become less and less realistic). But the idea is that when all these new paranormal things start flooding in (werewolves, vampires, gargoyles, demons, possessed humans, poltergeists, mummies, etc) we aren't really prepared for it, which is what makes it fun![/font][/color] Edited by White

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[font="Garamond"]I'm glad you made this because I was actually wanting to ask you if you thought the power I picked out for Eun Jung was okay/even going to be useful in the RP. It was between psychometry and post-cognition (seeing into the past to see what's happened to someone) and if you actually think that'd be better, I'd change it. (Incidentally, I'll change the internet research that leads to PIT. I'll have her move to the states for another reason and then she'll find out about it after. Gimme a little while)

Also, I was going to be a rookie but I was worried that might isolate me from the main story a bit? Which would suck because the best part is all the interaction.

Love the idea of the mind-link of pets, though, with the telepathy for each of our individual animals even though it's actually one character. I'd be so down for that.[/font]

[font="Book Antiqua"]Wow, I'm glad to see my question sparked the creating of a backstage thread, haha. But on a serious note, thank you, that cleared up basically every question I had. Well, save one. You said you worried about our powers, and I know you only specifically mentioned CaNz and Knuckles Girls, but like mapthesoul. I'd be more than willing to alter my power to make it more in line with the 'feel' of the RP.

And I third the notion of spirit divided animal companions. Sounds groovy to me.[/font] :) Edited by Vongola

[quote name='mapthesoul.' date='07 July 2010 - 02:22 PM' timestamp='1278526935' post='696716']
[font="Garamond"]I'm glad you made this because I was actually wanting to ask you if you thought the power I picked out for Eun Jung was okay/even going to be useful in the RP. It was between psychometry and post-cognition (seeing into the past to see what's happened to someone) and if you actually think that'd be better, I'd change it. (Incidentally, I'll change the internet research that leads to PIT. I'll have her move to the states for another reason and then she'll find out about it after. Gimme a little while)[/font]
[/quote]
[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]Nah I think your internet research thing is fine (unless you really want to change it, up to you). I mean we aren't famous or anything but we has the internets and would probably have our own PIT website/message board you'd eventually find if you looked long enough.[/font][/color]

[quote name='mapthesoul.' date='07 July 2010 - 02:22 PM' timestamp='1278526935' post='696716']
[font="Garamond"]Also, I was going to be a rookie but I was worried that might isolate me from the main story a bit? Which would suck because the best part is all the interaction.[/font]
[/quote]
[color="#696969"][font=tahoma]
No! I would love to have some rookies in the group. As it stands I was going to make a few people who signed-up as Elites Rookies just because I felt it fit better. Zach likes to go on most of the rookie cases so you would know him at least, and when things get really hairy (when the main story becomes obvious) the rookies will get involved as much as the Elites (or you get promoted part way through). I really like the idea though because some of us seem to be... [i]overpowered[/i] for lack of a better word. If you end up being the only one to sign-up as a rookie, I'll make 2 others rookies as well because I feel it fits their characters more.

And your power is perfect. You can change it if you want but I love it. I mean, a lot of ghosts supposedly attach themselves to objects and that is what makes them stick around instead of moving on. Being able to pin point that object, or at least being able to tell if an object had something significant happen to it in the past would be handy in that sense.

Vongola, your power is perfect as well. In fact your guys' powers (along with Lilt's) are the ones I liked the most. They don't seem too unrealistic (there are people in real life who truly believe they are empathetic and may even be) and they aren't over powered to the point of making the RP mundane so it's all good.

I'm glad you guys like the pet idea![/font][/color]

[size="2"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I don't know if you were referring to me (I totally understand if you were) but I did get the feeling my character seemed to be a little overpowered. To clarify, Phil's only "power" as such is to be in touch with ghosts, being able to see and talk to them. The exorcism thing is largely a skill he picked up rather than an innate ability, and the "ghostly fear" thing is a matter of reputation that he's earned through luck more than anything to do with the sheer scale of his power. I realise now that in my Audition it did seem a little like I was giving myself godlike powers, it wasn't my intention. More than anything I didn't realise we were only going to be dealing mostly just with ghosts in the first place, if I had realised then I wouldn't have given myself such a high level of skill with the ghoulies.

However, if there's any kind of problem with my character's powers then please let me know, I'd be more than happy to make some alterations. I really like the idea of this RP and I'd hate for people to think I was making it boring with my character's abilities.

Also, I like the pets idea, definitely up for crazy psychic animals![/font][/size]

[b]Hey White. I just had one question so I can finish my sign up.

How realistic do you want our first paranormal experience to be? I don't want to go overboard.

Thanks, I should be done soon.[/b]

[font="Georgia"]Thanks White! I've made slight changes to my sign up - I'm a rookie now, but I've left how I've found PIT and my powers the same. Glad you like the psychometry idea, I thought it seemed neat. Also glad I can throw some diversity via the rookie bit into the RP while still being included. Excited for this to start as ever :3[/font]

[quote name='DeLarge' date='07 July 2010 - 04:22 PM' timestamp='1278534150' post='696725']
[size="2"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I don't know if you were referring to me (I totally understand if you were) but I did get the feeling my character seemed to be a little overpowered. To clarify, Phil's only "power" as such is to be in touch with ghosts, being able to see and talk to them. The exorcism thing is largely a skill he picked up rather than an innate ability, and the "ghostly fear" thing is a matter of reputation that he's earned through luck more than anything to do with the sheer scale of his power. I realise now that in my Audition it did seem a little like I was giving myself godlike powers, it wasn't my intention. More than anything I didn't realise we were only going to be dealing mostly just with ghosts in the first place, if I had realised then I wouldn't have given myself such a high level of skill with the ghoulies.

However, if there's any kind of problem with my character's powers then please let me know, I'd be more than happy to make some alterations. I really like the idea of this RP and I'd hate for people to think I was making it boring with my character's abilities.

Also, I like the pets idea, definitely up for crazy psychic animals![/font][/size]
[/quote]
[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]Nah I think it's fine how it is, it just seemed to eclipse the other powers a bit. Although I do think the bit about your reputation could be reworded a bit. It's true that a lot of ghosts would fear someone that can see them as clear as day (something they aren't used to) but if you're well-known enough there would also be ghosts that just despise you and even seek to kill you because of that ability so maybe make that a bit more clear.

The [b]first paranormal experience[/b] should be fairly basic, I mean if some demon shows up in your bedroom when you're 10 years old and starts tearing **** up, you're going to be way too traumatized to get interested in the paranormal. It should be something simplistic that happens that just sparks your curiosity. Nothing overly scary, a simple haunting or ghostly encounter will do. I'll try to get my character's up soon.

Also, I've added a [b]Personality[/b] form to the sign-up sheet. I don't know how I forgot it when I made the thread, but it's definitely required as it'll give other people an idea of how you want your character to be portrayed when they are writing them into their own posts.

[b]EDIT:[/b] Finished my personality and First Paranormal Experience if anyone wants to check it out.[/font][/color] Edited by White

[size="2"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Alright, I've made a few changes to my profile, particularly the powers and the first paranormal experience, and added in a personality section. Hopefully things should be a little clearer now.

Looking forward to seeing this start![/font][/size]

[quote name='DeLarge' date='08 July 2010 - 05:09 AM' timestamp='1278580183' post='696862']
[size="2"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Alright, I've made a few changes to my profile, particularly the powers and the first paranormal experience, and added in a personality section. Hopefully things should be a little clearer now.

Looking forward to seeing this start![/font][/size]
[/quote]

Finally done! And again, I apologize about the psycho formatting on my profile. I tried to keep correcting it and it just got more and more crazy, so I just... left it alone.

Let me know if I need to do anything. I read this thread AFTER writing her powers. If its too much, I can simplify, to something like just her taking on traits of the descended and her potential for possession. Also... got a little carried away with the first paranormal experience. Heheh... So... um. Yeah. Thanks! Looking forward to getting this ghostly gig going!

[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]Okay, I'll have the RP up either tonight or tomorrow during the day. Just waiting on one last sign-up and we're good to go. Looking forward to starting this with you guys! :biggrin: [/font][/color]

Okay... i posted a sign up, but i'm not too clear on how long the PIT organization has been around. Can you tell me please? I assumed it has been around for about five years at least... was I correct in my assumption?

Also, I think the pet thing is cool, though Ayeika and Lucas will pass. For them, it's more of a hinderence than a blessing. Edited by Inuyasha Fandom

i hope i got the blood circle as a means of getting to Antarctica right. it took me a while to figure out what you were getting at when you mentioned it... and i'm still not that sure i got it right... i am not sure how they are supposed to work so i just kinda had them use it without talking about it.

also, i left Cowboy in mid quote as an easy entry for the next person in my group... but if you think that's dumb i can change it... i just didn't want to write all of the crack intro. Edited by CaNz

[quote name='CaNz' date='21 July 2010 - 10:14 AM' timestamp='1279721643' post='697586']
also, i left Cowboy in mid quote as an easy entry for the next person in my group... but if you think that's dumb i can change it... i just didn't want to write all of the crack intro.
[/quote]

That is fine with me, I can pick it up. But just for future reference, and no offense ment, you don't have to go all "howdy-doody" with Cowboy's dialog. Just the occasional southern pronunciation is what I was aiming for. :)

[quote name='P.J. McKrafty' date='21 July 2010 - 07:35 AM' timestamp='1279722940' post='697588']
That is fine with me, I can pick it up. But just for future reference, and no offense ment, you don't have to go all "howdy-doody" with Cowboy's dialog. Just the occasional southern pronunciation is what I was aiming for. :)
[/quote]
i tried to keep it down, but its so hard to resist...
anything in particular that was too much?

Posted!

Also, please, I'm obviously a bit of a newbie to the boards (I use to play a looong, long time ago, but have since been writing in other areas), and I'm not use to other people controlling my character and me controlling others'. So, if I step over any lines, or if anyone has any tips, pointers, complaints, etc, please feel free to share with me.

Thankies!

[quote name='P.J. McKrafty' date='21 July 2010 - 08:14 AM' timestamp='1279725264' post='697593']
"this here mission" was what really caught me, but the rest of it actually seemed fine.
[/quote]
got rid of it. that was a bit much... i will try to keep on top of it but i am sure i will make a few more mistakes so feel free to help edit the dialogue.

also... i was thinking of deleting my post and reposing it so the story flows a bit better... I hadnt typed anything till i saw the theater post come up, and since white said the first post was going to be arriving at para-1 for our group i just decided to do that, (well... a little before arriving)

what do you guys think... the only thing i really line up with is Inuyasha Fandom's post and that was just to get Blu back with our team... the rest seems flexible.

[quote name='CaNz' date='21 July 2010 - 10:43 AM' timestamp='1279726998' post='697597']
what do you guys think... the only thing i really line up with is Inuyasha Fandom's post and that was just to get Blu back with our team... the rest seems flexible.
[/quote]
I edited.... I got confused for a second, and i put in Trin.

[quote name='CaNz' date='21 July 2010 - 11:56 AM' timestamp='1279727800' post='697599']
well... now i have to edit too now don't i?
I might as well do the delete+repost thing since i need a new intro to my post...
[/quote]

I'm... really confused, now. I replied to Ally, so if you change that, I'LL have to repost too. You could just... let it be? I dunno.

i'm still gonna talk to you! don't worry! i will think of something!

EDIT: Thought of something...
there is a lot of time jumping.. so i just added a reference point in the first part. my post takes place four minutes after DeLarge's Edited by CaNz