OtakuBoards

The Throwaways Backstage

DeLarge

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I have no idea what we're suppose to be doing or where this training session is going besides more control and expansion of our powers. If I could get a hint or something (besides what we talked about via PM DeLarge), then that would be great. I do like the side story from the Big Five though, that was very insightful to what will be happening down the road. but for now, I'm lost in the desert.

I went ahead and posted to keep things rolling but like everybody else I'm kind've stuck in this lull right now with the three things kind've going on at once. I do like where it seems everything is going right now though DeLarge, based on the teaser.

And on a side note, I have to say I love to hate what you've done with McKnight Gavin, props on the sadistic drill sergeant approach.

Ok, I accept that things are a bit muddled at the moment. My intention was to have a more extended training session in order to develop characters somewhat, as well as to make it obvious that the team has a long way to go in order to be powerful enough to beat the Big Five, but it would appear people are not 100% happy with that. I have assigned sub-plots to the characters I believe suit them best, but I can't do that for everyone as that really will end up being too muddled.

As ever, I am open to suggestions from anyone as to how to move the story along quickly, but for now my only suggestion is to use this time to develop your characters. Interact with the other characters, write some flashbacks to your lives before Geist abducted you, explore the enormous and well-equipped skybase we find ourselves on (pretty much anything you want to find will be there, just let me know what you're adding to the base before you do it). Yes, it's a lull action-wise, but it doesn't have to be one story-wise.

This really isn't just my RP, it's yours as well, so use your imaginations!

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Ah, sorry bugger I should've clarified. Michael's just taking a break to cool off a bit after "training" with Slate. After that as I said he's going to be picking people together based on what he views their major area of improvement needs to be. If others want to look in on these training sessions he'll probably begrudgingly allow it.

DeLarge can you PM me a sort of rough idea of what's coming up with regard to training related plots just so I have an idea of how to structure them ?

[b]Edit[/b] Drizzt, I hate to be a pain but could you rewrite yours so that Slate was the first training session, after that one McKnight isn't going to be arrogant so much as extremely distant and formal, for practical purposes a trainer who has no attachment to the team and is interested in ensuring they develop their skills properly. He's not going to get in people's faces but if your control or power is weak, he's going to be blunt (but not necessarily intentionally insulting) regarding it. Just to also clarify, for training sessions, collars are going to be completely switched off. There's no point in having you training at a limited level of power against opponents like the Big Five.

@DeLarge I imagine Slate is going to be trying to figure out how much of their conversation was training and how much of it was actual truth so if you want to pass that off between the team you're welcome to. I hope the way I introduced Project All Stars worked too.

Also just to clarify, Michael's "god" comment to Slate is down to the fact all the suits have recording devices built into them, obviously Geist isn't going to just give you power enhancing suits without being able to measure what you're able to do with them. [/size][/font] Edited by Gavin

@ Gavin, I'll change that post now. Just followed the posting, but give me 5 and I'll correct it.

@Delarge, please don't think I'm complaining. The story and characters have been great, and I didn't mean to come across as I wasn't happy or anything else. I like the idea of our characters developing, was just a little curious as to how the training/developing was going to run.

Ok, quick update on how the training's going to go down. Myself and Gavin have been discussing what the best way to do it is, and worked out that we're going to split you into three groups, as follows:

[b][u]MOVEMENT-BASED ABILITIES[/u][/b]

Esfir 'Martian' Veselov
Addley 'Warp' Raynes

[b][u]PHYSICAL-BASED ABILITIES[/u][/b]

Carter 'Brawler' Grey
Cody 'Critter' Aneel
Tyler 'Vegas' Reins

[b][u]ELEMENTAL-BASED ABILITIES[/u][/b]

Riona 'Phoenix' Sharp
Aimanan 'Night Terror' Fathi
Derek 'Flare' DeWitt
Autumn 'Echo' Finley

This is to make the training go a little quicker - basically, you are separated into groups depending on [i]how[/i] your abilities will be trained, so Michael can teach you all similar techniques at the same time. He won't be giving you as much of a beating as he gave Slate, that was a special case.

I've also discussed with most of you how you want your abilities to develop, and I've shared this information with Gavin, so he'll know where you're going with your abilities. If you have any more ideas about your character's ability, feel free to PM myself or Gavin (myself if it's likely to affect the plot as a whole, Gavin if it's mostly just for the training session, although please CC me in if you message Gavin).

In the meantime, I will be making posts from Slate's point of view, as well as a few more people. Eventually, Slate and McKnight will be having a rematch, and once that's all done we'll be on our way to fight Starlighter, and then things will REALLY kick off.

Depending on how quickly people feel they can post, we'll be heading out to take on Starlighter fairly soon, so it's on you guys now really.

Just a completly random thought...has anybody noticed we have almost as many backstage posts as we do story posts?

Yes I know they're much shorter and there isn't much thought put into them besides questions and comments, I just thought it was kind've neat. And nice because it means people are checking it and it does help keep the story cohesive.

I like the fact that we're all using the Backstage thread, it makes for a much smoother RPing experience.

In other news, one of the teasers on the front page will be answered in my next post, but I won't be posting until some of the training has started. If that's not an incentive, I don't know what is!

[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]I'm a little confused as to what we're supposed to be posting about right now. Are we posting the training sessions with McKnight or just PMing Gavin information and having him post it? Or a bit of column A and B?[/font][/color] Edited by 8bit

[quote name='Lrb' timestamp='1313969184' post='709015']
[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]I'm a little confused as to what we're supposed to be posting about right now. Are we posting the training sessions with McKnight or just PMing Gavin information and having him post it? Or a bit of column A and B?[/font][/color]
[/quote]

[b]I'm curious about this too.

Also, I should finally have a post in tomorrow.[/b]

[quote]I'm a little confused as to what we're supposed to be posting about right now. Are we posting the training sessions with McKnight or just PMing Gavin information and having him post it? Or a bit of column A and B? [/quote]

Well I'm not 100% sure what McKnight is going to be doing with you, so I'd say it's probably more sensible to have Gavin make an initial post for each of the three training sessions and then you can post from there. Until Gavin can post, I would suggest making a post of your character doing [i]something[/i] in the HQ and then being called in for training at the end of the post. That way, you can all be posting and not waiting on Gavin to continue the RP.

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]I'll be posting hopefully later tonight, giving a rough idea of what each training session will consist of. Again if anyone has anything they specifically want me to do, I'll try to integrate it as best I can.

DeLarge what do you think to the idea of maybe trying to replicate some of the Big Five's powers in training to give people experience?[/size][/font]

[quote]DeLarge what do you think to the idea of maybe trying to replicate some of the Big Five's powers in training to give people experience? [/quote]

This is probably a good idea, it makes sense that training would be made as relevant as possible in order to prepare the team quickly. One thing I will say, however, is that we don't yet know the full extent of The Patriot's abilities, so attempting to replicate them wouldn't necessarily work as well as with the other members of the Big Five.

Other than that, the training room is yours, Gavin, do as you wish with it!

[b]Okay, I'm up to speed on the RP now so I should have a post tonight or tomorrow.

I also have a good idea of the training sessions and how they might go. It sounds like it might not be as beneficial to our characters as I thought it would be at first (to go into training with McKnight.)

But that sounds really interesting actually. I'll post the beginning soon, but feel free to sabotage Martian's training however you see fit, Gavin.

Or (and this might be a spoiler) was that just an attack on Slate and all of the rest of us will have a normal training session?[/b] Edited by Lilt

[quote][b]Okay, I'm up to speed on the RP now so I should have a post tonight or tomorrow.

I also have a good idea of the training sessions and how they might go. It sounds like it might not be as beneficial to our characters as I thought it would be at first (to go into training with McKnight.)

But that sounds really interesting actually. I'll post the beginning soon, but feel free to sabotage Martian's training however you see fit, Gavin.

Or (and this might be a spoiler) was that just an attack on Slate and all of the rest of us will have a normal training session?[/b] [/quote]

Really McKnight would only be that harsh to Slate, your training sessions will be [i]much[/i] less brutal. McKnight is likely to be pretty aloof towards your characters, just seeming distant rather than openly aggressive. However, if you are struggling then he won't hold back, he will be blunt, it's just how he works.

But he's not going to 'sabotage' anyone's training, really, not even Slate's. It's in his best interests to train you as well as he can, he just doesn't necessarily have to be [i]nice[/i] while he's doing it.

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Heh to be frank Lilt, if McKnight was interested in sabotaging people's training, the end result wouldn't be bad training it would be the death of those involved. As I said at the end of my last RP post, he's actually starting to believe that maybe they can take on the Big Five if they have the cards all stacked in their favour, and training everyone to get as powerful and controlled as they can before any confrontation is definitely one of those cards.

Apologies I didn't post last night, I think I'm coming down with the flu and just had to go to bed after I got home from work. On the plus side thanks to accrued holiday time I finished work for the summer yesterday so I have plenty of free time to write now.[/size][/font]