OtakuBoards

I remember back OB when.....

Pumpkin

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=4][color=#2f4f4f]Yeah everybody it's one of THOSE type of threads again. The oldies blabbing about the good old days. However besides just all that, I was wondering how many of you have cleared out your message box? what is the FIRST message you received on there? It's been forever since I cleared mine out. So I'd like to dig through and share some of my private moments with the beloved people who may or may not be on Otakuboards now today. Back when I remember [/color][color=#ff0000]Otakuboards survivor [/color][/size][/font][color=#2F4F4F][font='lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif] [/font][/color][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=4][color=#2f4f4f]where we were on colored teams and had to compete in contests, when the roleplay/theater forum was so packed and everybody wanted to join x's member's RP because they always had the best turnout. When you opened up the thread and there was music and beautiful graphics to look at and you had to sign up fast because EVERYBODY wanted in. I remember it being SO much fun. The Nifty Fifty....is this still going on? Can anybody update me with the current happenings? I remember how awesome it was to be nominated (I was only once but I didnt win individually I think *sniffles*) but i did vote and still have my old list. Being a mod was fun. So can you list some of your favorite things about OB past or present? And have any messages you want to share? :wub:[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#008080][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Hmm my first lonnnggg message I had was from Stephanie, back in the day. To give it a piece of perspective, it was when I was Sesshomarufan and she was callmegoddess09 (-_-). She had just missed the signups on one of my old 1v1 arena fights and I responded to her with a nice PM. And that turned into a multiple month, multiple message conversation that was the beginning of a friendship that's lasted over five years now. She's one of the first internet friends I've made and it's been awesome to watch her grow up and become the awesome woman she's become. I still haven't met her in person, but I hope to change that soon :)

Some of my fondest OB memories include causing a bit of mischief with the various topics that would spring up in the Lounge that would be a bit of the "touchy stuff" kind of topics. It was nice seeing people get in a huff or people post just incoherent jibberish and hiding it behind five-star vocabulary. I'd love to break apart people's oh-so-carefully concocted posts with a bit of the ol' common sense. :)

I only participated in a few RP's in the day, but I did always enjoyed anything done with Raiha or with Stephanie. I always felt I was the worst writer ever when I saw people's tomes of text they'd write haha.

Nifty Fifty didn't go on this year because we simply haven't had the traffic to have that. But as far as I know, nothing was posted this year. Sad times, indeed.[/font][/color]

[font=palatino linotype]I'm not even sure I can list all of the good memories I have from here. kuja, anyone? ;)

I definitely agree about controversial stuff in The Lounge. Some of those debates were a bit painful, but they were also pretty interesting. Seems like such a long time ago.

Probably the biggest two things I remember are the awesome RPGs and the once-vibrant gaming community we had here. I remember that E3 used to generate so much discussion and debate...it just felt like a really warm gaming community without all the craziness on other forums.

I feel a bit sad about the state of RPGs now - huge kudos to DeLarge for continuing to wave the flag - and I can only say that I helped to contribute to this situation through my inaction, haha. I mean, I lament the lack of RPGs but I haven't started one or participated in one for years. I never thought I'd say it, but I've pretty much moved on from the whole RPG thing I think. These days I have a feeling of nostalgia about them, but really no desire to join them at all. :(

As for specific things, there are just too many to mention. All I'll say, for those who remember something about this... I'm as addicted to coffee as ever. And I hope you are too. ;)[/font]

I've commented on these threads many times before. I miss lurking around as a kid on here, drawing constantly, watching anime. But we all get older and times change. ^_^ I miss TOPAZ and her awesome artwork, the "WAR". Thats one of my fondest memories, ha.

Anyway, in my PM box I have birthday wishes from others from 2001, when I tured fifteen(Dragonballzman). The oldest message in my inbox is dated to September 6, 2001. Eleven years and still here.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote][color=#2F4F4F][font=lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif]The Nifty Fifty....is this still going on? Can anybody update me with the current happenings? I remember how awesome it was to be nominated (I was only once but I didnt win individually I think *sniffles*) but i did vote and still have my old list. Being a mod was fun.[/font][/color][/quote]

[font=georgia, serif]As far as I can remember, nominations opened for the Nifty Eleven earlier this year, and for the first time in my entire membership of OB I was nominated not once, not twice but [i]three [/i]times (and considering the small number of nominations, that meant I was pretty much guaranteed to be Nifty). Then the server move happened, the thread got deleted and it was as if nothing ever happened. Thus ends the sad tale of the Nifty Eleven...[/font]

[quote][color=#282828][font=palatino linotype]huge kudos to DeLarge for continuing to wave the flag[/font][/color][/quote]

[font=georgia, serif]It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it! I'll continue to stand at the eye of the storm of uninterest, waving my staff like Gandalf until the bitter end.[/font]

• 2 weeks later...
There are three things I really remember about OB.

1. The Graphic Worm
It was my favorite activity on OB even if my contributions were really bad. I like seeing what others would do and it inspired me to look into graphic design as a career.

2. Nifty Fifty
I really don't know what happened to this. It was event I looked forward to. It was fun seeing who was nominated and what categories they would come up with for each year.

3. Otaku Jeopardy
This was my kind of event OB had. Pretty much all you needed to know was pointless information. I know way to much pointless facts. I still have the title for it and I can't even remember when the last Jeopardy was. Edited by Cat

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, I am so happy I stumbled across this post. This takes me way back. Do any of you remember me? I used to be a regular on this forum, probably over ten years ago now :) I remember TOPAZ and her drawing competitions. Wow it's been awhile, what a joy to be brought back to my early teenage years and remember so much fun we had together. I haven't posted since then, this is my first time in forever... So good to see you all!! HI. -DesertShadow

Good seeing you again, Desert Shadow. Didn't you used to be a moderator at one point?

This was already answered pretty thoroughly, but lack of activity made nominating 50 unique OB achievements/members impossible. Although a nominations thread was created, it was subsequently deleted in a server move. Since there was no apparent interest in keeping nominations going we decided it was best to pass this year. Having said that, this is still a site worthy of merit.

Just seeing this thread fills me with a lot of strong memories about the site over the past decade. Many of the members I joined with are married, and some even have children, but we keep in touch through Facebook/Twitter/etc. as best we can. Sometimes I think we are perhaps a community that outlived its forum since new potential visitors are drawn to more immediate forms of social media. Still, I have yet to find such a cross-section of awesome people elsewhere online. I still visit OB regularly (it will always have a place in my 'Favorites Bar') with the hope of finding a thread to catch my interest -- and luckily enough it still happens from time to time. I get older and I post less, but I will always recognize the value of my time here and what the site still means to users today (albeit in weaker numbers.)

- Shy

[quote name='Desert Shadow' timestamp='1349295184' post='712370']
Here's account verification - this is... yes, I'm bringing it back.... This is actually TOPAZ's drawing that we all did a coloring contest on. BRINGING IT BACK!!! :D

[attachment=15304:TOPAZ - Desert ShadowCONTEST.gif]
[/quote]

[color=deeppink]I won't believe it's you until you prove you can still post in bold.[/color]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#000080]I miss how packed the theater used to be. I also remember all the great conversations in the lounge that involved Chibi Master. xD [/color][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#000080]The caption contest was fun as well, I had a great time with that one. ^^ [/color][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#000080]But I suppose all good things come to an end, although; I stand with Delarge, I refuse to go down without a fight. One way or another, I'm determined to get the theater moving in some kind of direction. -.- [/color][/font]

[color=#000080][font='comic sans ms', cursive]Even if that means continuing my task from a new account cause I can't get into my old one.... Which I've done twice now. >.>;[/font][/color] Edited by KayG

[quote name='Desert Shadow' timestamp='1349293930' post='712369']
Wow, I am so happy I stumbled across this post. This takes me way back. Do any of you remember me? I used to be a regular on this forum, probably over ten years ago now :) I remember TOPAZ and her drawing competitions. Wow it's been awhile, what a joy to be brought back to my early teenage years and remember so much fun we had together. I haven't posted since then, this is my first time in forever... So good to see you all!! HI. -DesertShadow
[/quote]

Wow, welcome back! Of course I remember you. I remember you're avatar very well too!

[size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Came for the title; stayed because Nerdsy posted. :wink:[/font][/size][size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif] [/font][/size]

[font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font][size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Honestly I cannot remember much of what happened around here back in the day. Sure there was the Fight Club, hanging out with the randoms in DBZ and Digimon, and constantly pestering James but that's honestly all I can remember after all these years. I think I may have suffered some dain bramage along the way. I suppose I can thank most if not all of you for the memories and for continuing to give the Otakuboards a reason to exist. [/font][/size] :happy: Edited by Yukazi

[quote name='Nerdsy' timestamp='1349438118' post='712373']
[color=deeppink]I won't believe it's you until you prove you can still post in bold.[/color]
[/quote]

[b]Oh my gosh. You really do remember.

Haha, that's awesome. Do you remember the buckets?

SNAP SON. Buckets are back.[/b]

[attachment=15305:Original - Silly Bucket.jpg] Edited by Desert Shadow

[quote name='Desert Shadow' timestamp='1350085701' post='712401']

[attachment=15305:Original - Silly Bucket.jpg]
[/quote]

Oh my god, that picture has to be at least ten years old! Lol! Most awesome. Still an awesome piece of bucket work.

[attachment=15305:Original - Silly Bucket.jpg]
[/quote]

Oh my. I still remember you spreading boldness to me and AJ like some sort of textual disease. Also Dessert Shadow, the tastiest of impersonators. Good to see you here again!

[/quote]

[color=deeppink]*gasp* It is you! MY LIEGE!

*bows in reverence*[/color]

[color=deeppink]Of course I remember the silly buckets. It definitely makes me happy that they're back.[/color]

[color=#282828][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=3][quote name='Yukazi']Came for the title; stayed because Nerdsy posted. [/size][/font][/color] :wink:[/quote]

[color=deeppink][img]http://www.lolroflmao.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Oh-stop-it-you.jpg[/img][/color]

[quote name='Red' timestamp='1350127361' post='712403']
Oh my. I still remember you spreading boldness to me and AJ like some sort of textual disease. Also Dessert Shadow, the tastiest of impersonators. Good to see you here again!
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]Guffaw, old chap.[/font]

My memories for this site are for when it used to be active. And the Nifty Fifty was pretty memorable as well. Most importantly, though, are the fun times with Boo. ;P Those were the daaayyysss. Edited by Lyndy

• 1 month later...
[quote name='James' timestamp='1346071713' post='712298']
[font=palatino linotype]I'm not even sure I can list all of the good memories I have from here. kuja, anyone? ;)[/font]
[/quote]

[color=red]Man, there was a long storied history of drama when I frequented the site, which is really sad, because I just have fond memories of the really cool people I still keep up with from here.[/color]

[color=red]I used to post here all the time. Haven't in ages. I spent way too much time on here in high school, but have fallen out of touch with most of the users here. It's not me being anti-social; I just have already had most of these conversations. I still poke around when I get the chance but, much like Shy, I'm just getting older and running out of things to say.[/color] Edited by JCBaggee

[quote name='JCBaggee' timestamp='1354039953' post='712540']
[color=red] I still poke around when I get the chance but, much like Shy, I'm just getting older and running out of things to say.[/color]
[/quote]

[color=#0000ff]I think that's an unfortunate truth for most of us that have been here for a while. That, combined with the lack of regular new members, tends to hurt activity and makes discussions that much harder to come by.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]I do have years of fond memories from this place myself though so I'm glad that there are still a bunch of us around, even if it is infrequently ^_^[/color]

• 1 month later...
I've had many fond memories here and a lot of people changed my life here too. For me, I've gotten older. I've also became distracted by a busy life style and games like guild wars, league of legends, Achaea and minecraft. I do have an attachment to this place. Never fear. I go crazy knowing when this place is down. I may rarely come here but I fret when it's not here. I really do. This is like a family or a long lost home. I will forever keep this in a special place in my heart.