OtakuBoards

Quarantine

Petie

3 hours ago, Heaven's Cloud said:

James, I hope so. 

Me too. Last night I went into my private messages on here and realised they'd all been retained! My god, it was a cornucopia of wonders from (almost) the last 20 years. At one stage, Kevin from AE invited me to participate in a podcast debate about AE/OB...haha. So bizarre to read that (and my response) from the time.

On 7/3/2021 at 1:28 AM, Petie said:

Threads shouldn't have been lost - just broken because the converter that Invision supplied completely ruined much of the formatting. Are you seeing threads that are outright gone?

I personally haven't noticed anything missing, but certainly, the HTML-heavy RPGs we used to do are borked. But at least the content is still there! It's fun to go back sometimes and re-read that old stuff.

I'm still just blown away that the PMs survived! I feel like I could write a book about my PM discussions, haha.

Nah, most of that happened before my time, so my knowledge of the situation is basically hearsay-bemoaning from the font=1 crowd, as it were.  =P

But if you say it's all still here, then I have no issue pressing the I Believe button.

On 7/4/2021 at 6:29 AM, James said:

I'm still just blown away that the PMs survived! I feel like I could write a book about my PM discussions, haha.

My PMs only seem to go back to 2010 unfortunately. I seem to remember being unable to migrate them and was pretty upset at their loss but maybe it didn't affect everyone?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 5:29 AM, James said:

I personally haven't noticed anything missing, but certainly, the HTML-heavy RPGs we used to do are borked. But at least the content is still there! It's fun to go back sometimes and re-read that old stuff.

Yeah I really regret dressing our RPGs up with so much html. Almagest in particular is something I've tried to go back to, but in general it's too difficult to read.

My PMs go back to December 6, 2002(!) My first message is from @James, sending a reassuring message after I came out on this site. I'll always be grateful for that (and the flirtation it spawned!)

Also: My PMs are FILLED with planning and strategy for our rpgs. I forget how involved stuff like Final Quest For Glory 2 was, and all of the controversy surrounding it.

- Shy

Well, that regret is mostly hindsight after coding support changes across site versions, so ... I wouldn't regret it too much, honestly.  The site supported it at the time, and most of you guys who knew what you were doing with it were really good at it, so it typically looked fantastic.

You were making the most of what your medium at the time offered you.  ?

....plus, you know, several site updates broke even basic coding options.  I've gone back through several of my old threads updating my own posts to reflect the code I meant it to have after things went goofy.  And I've fixed posts from my friends sometimes when I had moderator privileges, just to make things readable in case anyone other than me decided to thread-crawl.

Not the same as HTML stuff, I know, but ... then I was never a Myspace/MyOtaku page customiser either, lol.  Didn't get into the internet in time to catch that wave, and wasn't really interested in it by and large anyway.

ANYWAY.  I still think of the stuff you guys did as flagship projects in those forums, so.

Edited by Allamorph

On 7/16/2021 at 4:44 AM, Shy said:

Also: My PMs are FILLED with planning and strategy for our rpgs. I forget how involved stuff like Final Quest For Glory 2 was, and all of the controversy surrounding it.

- Shy

Yeah, so much work went into those RPGs. I have really fond memories of them. 

I'm wondering if anyone has heard from Kevin/Rick Hunter? What's he doing these days? He had a YouTube channel for a little while but it's gone now...

Hey everyone!

I was in the process of writing something where I referenced my time posting on the OB and thought 'hey, I wonder if that place is still up and running'. I guess it is, in some capacity, although my beloved Theater seems to be primarily populated with mothballs and tumbleweed...

Hope everyone is doing well, looking back on my post history I think the last time I posted here I was a single, unemployed and slightly depressed 25 year old living with his parents - I'm now a happily non-single, gainfully employed and only occasionally depressed 31 year old who is in the process of buying his first house.

On 7/25/2021 at 4:58 AM, James said:

Yeah, so much work went into those RPGs. I have really fond memories of them. 

You and me both! I'm currently funnelling all of that same energy into the D&D campaign I'm DMing, but looking back here my creative output was crazy for a time.

• 2 months later...

Not sure how I got myself back to OB and not sure if this thread is still alive but I figured I'd come back to check it out. Thus, here I am, writing this post.

I hope everyone is doing well during this pandemic and has been doing great things throughout the years that I have been gone.

As for me, after my long 12 years in the Navy, I left medically retired. I am now back at home, enjoying my life on the other side as a civilian. Honestly, it's strange for me to think I had a life before the Navy; seems like the Navy is all I know.

But anyway, hope to see some familiar names pop up.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...