-
Posts
4066 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
52
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Everything posted by Boo
-
[size=1]Yeah, let's act like the Art Studio is alive. I'd say this thread will be pretty image heavy. Okay, the first graphics I ever made. I'm pretty sure that the first graphics I ever made were sprites. Mainly recolours, to be more precise. Original examples lost in time, but just imagine megaman sprites with different pieces of armour. Well, I'll just continue on to banners and the likes. My first banner [i]ever[/i] was this banner over here. The time I made this, I was a giant newbie and had no idea whatsoever how to handle graphics programs and I didn't know about size restrictions either. [center][b]Request by Juno[/b] [URL=http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/4076/banner1steverfx0.jpg]Linked because it stretched the lay-out[/URL][/center] After this one it took some time before I got into making banners. First I was roaming around the writing section and the Newbie Lounge a lot. When the Art By Request forum appeared, I tried making banners for people. All I used was MS Paint. With MS Paint it's a real pain to clean pictures (ex. getting rid of pixel edges), but I did my best and continued on improving my pixel skills. Some examples: [center][b]Request by Sarsy[/b] [img]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/1552/bannersarsy2eo9.gif[/img] [b]Request by SSJ_Willie[/b] [IMG]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1866/ssjwilliefq8.gif[/IMG] [B]Request by yet another Vincent Valentine fan[/b] [IMG]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7048/vinc1stnl6.gif[/IMG][/center] As you can see, they are horrid and you may understand that I now feel very bad for the people I gave them too, who even ended up using them. The last one actually earned myself a fan. Some guy that, until this day, still considers me as a great graphics artist ever since he saw that banner. No idea why, as even back then, I thought it was quite bad. Ever since he has asked me to make graphics for things. Once I understood PSP a bit more than before, I started off with some odd little banners. I think I have one of them somewhere... *hour later* Nope, can't find it. When I find it, I'll update my post. Okay, I got the hang of PSP and pasted pictures on my banners now. [center][b]Mental[/b] [iMG]http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/9513/10qj8.png[/IMG] [b]Palmtrees[/b] .featuring Saiyanprincessx (she did the text). [IMG]http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6894/dabannergf2.png[/IMG][/center] The banners weren?t too flashy or anything, but I considered them cool. I still do, as they serve their purpose and the stock is still cleaned with MS Paint. (I was a youngster and had no idea PSP had better tools to clean images) Later on text became a part of my life once more. Also, swirls and wind became my friend. I still love how slightly swirly and windy graphics look. First I never used layers, so I ended up with graphics like the following: [center][b]Some thing meant for a digimon site[/b] [IMG]http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9268/01editpf4.png[/img] [b]Random swirly banner[/b] [IMG]http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/7738/02er0.png[/IMG] [b]Black Ram[/b] .I was so proud to use text again. [IMG]http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6571/04uz0.png[/IMG][/center] Around this period I finally gained a bit control over PSP, and I wasn?t only just clicking my way around at random, which saved me a lot of ?undo?s. [center][b]Pixel+Abstract+Sprite=Banner[/b] [IMG]http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/413/13pixelspriteha5.png[/IMG] [b]Squares and corners[/b] [IMG]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7980/12pz5.png[/IMG][/center] After getting bored of just swirls, wind and pixels. I stopped using pixel art in my graphics as a whole. It was then that I started using honeycombs. I loved honeycombs. Honeycombs are the bomb. [center][b]Request by Taylor Hewitt[/b] [IMG]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7167/thbannerkx6.png[/IMG] [b]Sandmaester wall[/b] [URL=http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sandmaester14oc9.png][IMG]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/8081/sandmaester14oc9.th.png[/IMG][/URL][/center] I guess that there was a big break and I made some graphics for my graphics thread. Trying to get back in the game. [center][b]Gurt is the Shizz[/b] .a tribute to Ezekiel/Gurt. [IMG]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5152/gurttehshizzboz6.png[/iMG] [b]5×Eternal[/b] [IMG]http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/571/muchosja6.png[/IMG] [b]Boo?s in the eye of the Beholder[/b] [IMG]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/64/banner03ao8.png[/IMG] [b]The Orange Ozy Rocks[/b] .banner as a tribute to Orange/Ozy. [IMG]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3576/orangepinkozywgb1.png[/IMG] [b]Sean?s Happeh Birthdeh[/b] .he became fifteens! D: . [IMG]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8128/001pinkish6yo3.png[/IMG][/center] Well, no idea what was in between. Not much. I think I just made some banners and graphics at random. So? I?ll just start rounding up now and add the last graphics to the party. Most of them are from games or contests on OtakuBoards, I suppose. [center][b]Relive[/b] [img]http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8194/relivetz2.png[/img] [b]Freedom.prototype003[/b] [IMG]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5617/freedomept003ls9.png[/IMG] [b]Gaara or something[/b] [IMG]http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3272/round2black1pxnegative4hv9.png[/IMG] [b]Clockwork[/b] [IMG]http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1898/clockworkquestionmarkcu5.png[/IMG] [b]Chaos[/b] [IMG]http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7245/chaostb4.png[/IMG][/center] Ok that?s enough for now. =P Hopefully this was educative to people who haven?t witnessed this all happen (? all of you as far as I can see). And now, even though I had such a lengthy history, I am still not really improving. But I like what I do and I do what I like. That?s what matters to me. And now some OtakuBoards headers for contests. They?ve never been at the top of the forums, and I can?t blame James for never picking mine. I actually enjoy my first two the most as they?re more colourful and all and I put more time and effort in them. [center][b]OtakuBoards banner, 2003[/b] [URL=http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9250/obbanner01uz9.png]Linked, because it stretched the lay-out.[/URL] [b]OtakuBoards Season Greetings banner, 2003[/b] [URL=http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7200/obsg2ee8.png]Linked, because all the other OB banners stretched the lay-out and this one felt left out.[/URL] [b]OtakuBoards Winter banner, 2005[/b] [URL=http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1691/001standardou6.png]Linked, because it stretched the lay-out.[/URL] [b]OtakuBoards Winter banner, 2006[/b] [URL=http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/844/obheaderxmaspv1.png]Linked, because it stretched the lay-out.[/URL][/center] [b]EDIT:[/b] Okay, now I've got time to continue my post. As you see, I started out as a big n00b. Bad thing was, the only place I was visiting and posting graphics was on OtakuBoards. And OtakuBoards members have never really been good critiques in the past. Thus, that I improved wasn't because people suggested [i]this[/i], or telling what I did wrong in [i]that[/i] (except that I never used text or stock, which I still refuse most of the time), but because I just found fancy things in my PSP (though a bunch of the members helped me out through time). It was still that period where there were tons of artists on OtakuBoards and everyone, good or horrible, just posted whatever they had just made. Often they just made graphics so that they had something to post here. And there were always people who replied to them. As time past, I did less and less with graphics. After the big OB update, most of the Otaku artists had left (about the whole Otaku Artists Elite, at least) and they were replaced with slightly greener people. If this offends some people: ha. Anyway, the people who I had always looked up to and who I used as an example, they were all gone. My motivation, my muses, they were all gone. The new wave of artists brought forth the silly vectoring thing that was immediately way overused by people who weren't able to really control it. The fun wore of within days for me and I made even less graphics. Not like many were interested in my graphics, anyway. Stupid Retribution took all the attention from the boards. Grr. There were good and bad times for me in the graphics thing. All in all, my time - over four years now? Wow. - with graphics have earned me quite a bunch of experience, at least. This experience is also the cause for my rather strong opinion when it comes to critiquing, especially when pieces of art are overrated (by others who often also have experience), in my eyes. All in all, I've not improved a lot over the past year or more, technically. Though then again, I haven't tried my skills a lot over the past year, either. :P [/size]
-
[quote name='Retribution][size=1]I'm a big fan of [b]Boo[/b']. He doesn't really post too often anymore, but when he does it's either a very intelligent or funny post. Chatting on AIM is also fun... assuming you can get over your fear and borderline adoration of him.[/size][/quote][size=1]I never knew, Alex. I never knew. ;_;[/size]
-
[size=1]I had to write a short story once and I had the same problem. But I just chose the genre 'on the edge of reality' and I went nuts on psychology. Messing with peoples minds (or dreams or whatever) is a very easy thing to do if you don't have any inspiration. Oh and I also added in some little ideas from international folklore which is also a very good well to use when you're running out of ideas yourself. My first attempt to write a short story was a more fantasy like one, but I didn't like that one, as it wasn't really original. It was one of those thirteen in a dozen kinds of stories like most fantasy, where as psychology and dreams can always be original. Who am I fooling? I've had a writer's block for over three years. You should of course go for fruits and vegetables. [/size]
-
[size=1][quote name='Dagger']Welcome to the first annual OB Graphics Tournament! [/quote]You would think so.[/size]
-
[size=1]There aren't any competitions going on in the Art Studio itself either. Though, if you want to join a community thing that includes drawing, you could join the "[url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=53499][b][game] Draw my character![/b][/url]" thread in the Art Studio. It's not a competition, but it's fun nonetheless. Heck, it's officially Nifty. [/size]
-
The OtaKuties- Critiques/Betting Thread [E]
Boo replied to Dragon Warrior's topic in General Discussion
[quote name='Raiyuu']The price of creativity...?[/quote][size=1]... or is he just very good at his job? The mystery is left unsolved while Dr. Boo leaves the crime scene, glancing back at the cold body of a cake thief. This was not going to be the end of this story, he was sure of that.[/size] -
[size=1]I didn't vote in the poll because my vote wouldn't really represent my taste. On my shelf, I have quite a bunch of books of Raymond E. Feist and a few of Terry Pratchett. They are great writers and I really enjoy experiencing their worlds. However, like DigitalBoy, not a lot of fantasy books catch my attention because they're too cliché. For me, fantasy as a genre is only good when the writer is great. There has to be a strong storyline and original characters to be able to keep my attention. There are too many fantasy writers that actually can't write at all, so they just put half naked women on the cover. Instead, I'd like to mention that I enjoy historical novels and a bit psychological novels. The writers of such books mostly know what they're talking about and/or done research around their subject. The books are enjoyable to read, they get you thinking and often you also learn something of them. [/size]
-
[quote name='Aaryanna][color=DarkRed']Uh, Boo, before you put your foot into your mouth even further...[/color][/quote][size=1]Where does your quote help at all to explain myself putting my foot in my mouth? Your quote just proves what my last post was about, as it's the part that people are so freely interpreting.[/size] [quote name='Boo][size=1']He only said that his friends thought he was heartless if he doesn't feel bad about the person that died.[/size][/quote][size=1]And well...[/size] [quote name='Aaryanna][COLOR=DarkRed']It's a pretty safe assumption to think that they did indeed say something along the lines of "I don't care your mother died." as that's exactly what I thought when I read their post. I did not get the impression that this was a general conversation but rather one of an actual recent event of them dealing with a friend who has lost someone recently.[/color][/quote][size=1]I don't know about you, but I have more friends than the select few that have lost people that are very close to them. I'd find it good for myself to know what others think of me not caring whether someone who I don't know died. If a friend of mine just told me their grandmother died, and I wouldn't care, I could just go to an other friend to discuss wether that's normal. A reaction of 'that's heartless' is a possibility.[/size] [quote name='Aaryanna][COLOR=DarkRed']So if you want to clear that up DaSilva, by all means do.[/COLOR][/quote][size=1]Here we agree.[/size]
-
[size=1]First for everyone:[/size][quote name='DaSilva']... Sure I feel sorry for my friend ...[/quote][size=1]Now that that's taken care of...[/size] [QUOTE=indifference][COLOR=DarkRed]... but to say you could care less that they are dead, just shows a lack of tact and compassion towards your friend. The person who actually is upset and hurt over their death. ... There's absolutely no need to say "I don't know them so why should I care?" ... You?re confusing being realistic with being tactful. You are realistic in that it isn?t necessary to care, but your method of making a point of telling them is not only stupid but also unnecessary. ...[/COLOR][/QUOTE][size=1]Don't put words in his [strike]mouth[/strike] post. He never said that he said anything in the direction of "I don't care that your mother died". He only said that his friends thought he was heartless if he doesn't feel bad about the person that died. This could have been said to him during a regular conversation for all we know. I can understand if the guy would?ve first discussed this same subject with his friends, before asking people who he doesn't know. So don?t act all bitchy and stop attacking the lad over things he has never said. If DaSilva has the tiniest bit of subtlety in his brain, your whole post is useless and makes you look like a complete hypersensitive fool.[/size] [quote name='DaSilva']... My friends see it as me acting heartless, but I see it as being realistic. ...[/quote][size=1]"Being realistic" is a very relative statement and I strongly discourage anyone from using it. "Being realistic" is obviously different from your friends? point of view.[/size]
-
[quote name='Allamorph][FONT=Arial']I think he means that he's not obsessed with what happens to them every day, as opposed to just wishing they'd all die (an extreme case, obviously).[/FONT][/quote][size=1]I figured so, but this person died and it's not an every day thing. If he doesn't care about it because they're just people, that'd be plain... wrong. So that was mainly what my comment was based on, but thank you for pointing out that his wording wasn't entirely fantastic. Well, I can understand that someone would not care for a person's every day life - heck, we've got our own lives to live anyway. Until today I hardly even knew her. The thing that bothers me, is that this whole case gets all over the news. Yay, someone died! Quite a sensation, wouldn't you say? The suffering in the world lost it's touch, let's pull out the shiney artillery! So, from that perspective I can understand the line "I don't care", as I truly don't care more about a doll who probably had an overdosis of drugs, than things that really can affect the world or the society. [/size]
-
[quote name='Matt']... Now, personally, I don't care. I could care less about celebrity's lives, personally. I mean, they ARE regular people, like you and me ...[/quote][size=1]Wouldn't that be a good reason to actually care?[/size]
-
[size=1]You might want to give the chest a little more width (like the avoid the manboobish). To compensate the size loss of the arms, you could just adjust the shoulders a bit. Furthermore it looks cool so far. Keep us updated.[/size]
-
[size=1][center][img]http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/2379/dscn3672edit2tr9.jpg[/img] For those who didn't know this yet - which is very likely, because I rock at what I do - I'm a hunter and a master of disguises. In this photo I'm awaiting for my prey to come closer and have a taste of the delightful birthday cake (it's me, in case you did not see it yet, which is also very likely).[/center] [list][*][b]Do you have a job? If so, where and what do you do? If not, where would you want to work?[/b] Well, I just quit college, so I'll need to find a job to have something to do the rest of the half year. Working at a cinema wouldn't be the worst thing I could think of right now, and actually sounds quite entertaining, so I might end up trying to work there. Though, working with a camera, writing, on stage, backstage or with music would be what I'd rathest do in the future. Next to my current profession of hunter and master of disguises of course. [*][b]If you were an assistant of Donald Trump, what would your job be? (If you don't know who Donald Trump is, look him up. I guarantee he's at least on Wikipedia).[/b] I'd either be his court jester or his personal assassin. Most likely right now would probably be that I'll be selling coins at one of his casinos, but it's definitely one of those two once I get older and decide to work for him. [*][b]How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?[/b] Not very much, because he'd be thrown in jail for illegally chucking wood. Donald Trump wouldn't like him chucking wood without his permission, so I might end up having to assassinate it if the authorities won't handle it.[/list] [b]PS:[/b] The hat says "Hartelijk Gefeliciteerd" which means something like "Honest Congratulations"/"Happy Birthday". [b]PPS:[/b] Hell yes it's snowing outside. Finally. *overjoyed* [b]PPPS:[/b] That's a survival knife in my hand. The ultimate weapon for all who want to be a hunter. It even has a fish line and hook in the handle if you screw the compass off. Ooh. [/size]
-
[quote name='Shy][size=1']Anyway, that's not the whole point of this thread.[/size][/quote][size=1]I could not resist a little smile when I read the above post. :) Anyway, I myself hardly ever visit theOtaku. It has a lot to do with the fact that I don't even like anime that much (no, I have no idea how I winded up here). There are more people on OtakuBoards who I know don't like anime, so I would imagine them not visiting theOtaku much either. Nor do I really visit myOtaku, for that matter. Only once in a year to act like I update it. Well, it's not very obvious that OtakuBoards is the forum of some anime site. When I first came here, I only knew of these boards. It even took some time to find out there was a pretty big site attached to it. OtakuBoards is pretty complete on it's own, as far as I see it. I could imagine seeing the OtakuBoards seperate from theOtaku very well. The only connection between the twothat I deal with - from the OtakuBoards perspective that is - is the footer of the forums and the fact that they both have [b]Otaku[/b] in their url. But I bet that experiences are different for people who are actually interested in reading about anime and the likes.[/size]
-
[size=1]I agree with the pandas on this one. Besides, perhaps the baker is as nice to give him a bread (in return of an errant?) if you explain your situation and ask him kindly. :) Because there are like, nice people in the world every now and then.[/size]
-
[size=1]Looks fancy so far, though there's not much I can say about it yet. The shading looks nice. I can't say anything about the body yet, as the outlines don't tell the whole story. Will you be using it for something in specific?[/size]
-
[size=1]Okay this is dead cool. [i]'Ha, a word joke,'[/i] you might think. But, seriously; it is. There are some priceless lines and scenes in this story and I could totally see this being done on stage (or on film) with the use of changing backgrounds and things. For some reason I read the whole story out loud with the use of weird voices. It just happened as soon as Gavin's song began.[/size]
-
[quote name='Jeremiah][size=2']From leviticus' "Man should nto lie with anothe rman" to the Sodom account in Genesis (the men wanted to have sex with the visitors, who were men.)[/size][/quote][size=1]They were going to rape the two men. How can you possibly compare that to homosexuality in the way we're discussing it right now? [i]Read[/i] the Bible before you quote it.[/size]
-
[size=1][quote name='Retribution][size=1']The debate at hand is not on whether or not the Christian Church should allow gays to get a religious union, but rather a state sponsored marriage, therefore talk of God and damnation is beside the point.[/size][/quote]The title still says [b]Christianity and Gay Marriage[/b], so I'd think the Christianity subject is quite near to the point. Anyway back to the topic at hand. Paul was a jerk, and if we would do everything that guy wants us to say, we'd be a pretty sad bunch. And the quote you provided is not about love between one each other. In fact, it's about men who [i]out of pure lust[/i] had [i]sexual relationships[/i] with each other. It says it [i]right there[/i]. You can't possibly use this quote as an argument to reject commitment between two people who love each other. Do you think God would like you having sexual relationships out of pure lust, even if it were with a woman? No, of course not. [/size]
-
The OtaKuties- Critiques/Betting Thread [E]
Boo replied to Dragon Warrior's topic in General Discussion
[size=1][quote name='Dragon Warrior][size=1']Must be 500x600 pixels at most.[/size][/quote] Thought I'd quote it for everyone. Hmm, I'm going to have to make a picture very soon. -
[quote name='Adahn]I don't exactly see how 'letting other people make moral decisions for you' isn't 'blindly following'. As an example, I give the [url="http://www.new-life.net/milgram.htm"][color=blue]Milgram experiment[/color][/url]. [color=black]The scientist is the authority figure, and people will do terrible things because of their respect for his station. It is not only important to make decisions for oneself without an authority figure to fall back on, it is [i]imperitave[/i'] for people to keep themselves from doing atrocious things.[/color][/quote] [size=1]Dude, people can actually [i]think[/i]. Why on Earth can't you understand that people can actually carefully consider and overthink moral questions, before they actually agree to them? They are not blindly following people, they have made the decision to follow that opinion. I cannot say that I always agree to those decisions, but I also can't deny that they are human beings with a brain to think things over for themselves. [b]Edit:[/b] Sandy is not an American. [/size]
-
[size=1][center]:stupid:[/center] I'm sorry, but you're still alive. You'll have to somewhat have to remain alive on the world without the virtual/digital world. The idea of a whole internet communication thing dominating actual face-to-face communication is thinkable, but it would just mess up the world. If there's one place where people can act like something they're not, it's the internet.[/size]
-
[size=1]» [b]Napoleon Bonaparte[/b] » [b]Spanish (Spain)[/b]. Some part about the French or Spanish fleet in the [i]Coalitions against Napoleon[/i] chapter. » [b]Mexico[/b]. A part where they tell about how far Spain's might reached. » [b]Torreón[/b]. It was just in the list of major cities in Mexico. Ha, I just needed to find out what Torreón was, and it was quite easy. Hm, next up: [b]The Netherlands[/b] » [b]Coca Cola[/b].[/size]
-
[quote name='sakurasuka][FONT=Arial][size=1]Personally, I'm somewhat cyber-crippled. I never did make friends well as a child, Neopets boards became my crutch. Thankfully I'm not quite as socially awkward anymore, but I really do wish my mother would have regulated my internet conversations a bit more as a child.[/size'][/FONT][/quote][size=1]Maybe you were just socially awkward anyway. I can't say that internet improves you socially, but you can't completely blame your social awkwardness on the internet. It was probably just a way to be able to act social without the awkward situations that you'd normally have. [/size]
-
[size=1]I think we can be quite clear about the fact that [i]this[/i] is not the ideal Otaku Lounge thread.[/size]