OtakuBoards

Your REAL Name.....

Yu Yu Hakusho!

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=indigo]Haha! Wow, if you put the meanings of my names together you get [i]"god gave plum from the bright valley"[/i], lol. I also find it odd how in the musical [i]Clue[/i] I was Professor Plum. It is almost like it was meant to be, heh. The only part I do not like about it is the first word. >_< *looks at it spitefully*[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PiroMunkie [/i]
[B][color=indigo]Haha! Wow, if you put the meanings of my names together you get [i]"god gave plum from the bright valley"[/i], lol. I also find it odd how in the musical [i]Clue[/i] I was Professor Plum. It is almost like it was meant to be, heh. The only part I do not like about it is the first word. >_< *looks at it spitefully*[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red] Lol, at least mine isn't that bad. My real name's, as I said, Mitchell Grant Smith...so, if you put that all together, it means [b][i]who is like god great blacksmith[/b][/i] Oo...it doesn't realy make sense. But, oh well, what do you expect?[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mitch[/i]
[B][color=red]Lol, at least mine isn't that bad. My real name's, as I said, Mitchell Grant Smith...so, if you put that all together, it means [b][i]who is like god great blacksmith[/b][/i] Oo...it doesn't realy make sense. But, oh well, what do you expect?[/color][/B][/QUOTE][color=indigo]You could very easily make that into a question:

[i]Who is like god, great blacksmith?[/i]

So, in a way, it does make sense... assuming you are a great blacksmith, lol.[/color]

My name means: 'Bright in Mind and Spirit, Wolf Counselor(?!), Son of JACK'. And there we are. I am now enlightened. A little.

Oh- Hugo's of German origin, as is Ralph. Just to clear that up. Jackson's a Hebrew name. Were I called Tristan (as I nearly was), my name would mean 'clamour'. Which is strange.

Is anyone planning on naming their kids after anime characters? My friend wants to name her next dog Inuyasha. She even wants to have her daughter's middle name be Kagome.....I mean, if you were Japanese that wouldn't be wierd at all, even if I am part Japanese....but still, who would really want their kid's name to be Bulma or Vegeta???
But having a pet's name is kind of cute!! I think I'll name my cat Shippou or something!! But not my kids....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PiroMunkie [/i]
[B][color=indigo]You could very easily make that into a question:

[i]Who is like god, great blacksmith?[/i]

So, in a way, it does make sense... assuming you are a great blacksmith, lol.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red] I'm [i]not[/i] a great blacksmith, heh. So it doesn't work. Damn, and I could've used it...or something...to trick people into not knowing what the heck I'm talking about Oo[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Juuthena [/i]
[B]Juuthena, is my japanese name, and I think it means something like 'tenth angel goddess'...or something like that. ^^;[/B][/QUOTE]

Well considering the sound "th" doesn't even exist in Japanese, I doubt it means anything...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Yu Yu Hakusho! [/i]
[B]My friend wants to name her next dog Inuyasha. She even wants to have her daughter's middle name be Kagome.....I mean, if you were Japanese that wouldn't be wierd at all, even if I am part Japanese....but still, who would really want their kid's name to be Bulma or Vegeta???[/B][/QUOTE]

I've heard of people wanting to name their kids after an anime character... really, that's just the dumbest thing anyone could do. A pet is one thing, but naming your kid kagome or something... that's just retarded.

Oh, and just as a side note, I've never seen or heard of a Japanese person with the name "kagome"... so it is rather strange. I checked with a names dictionary, and it didn't show up there either.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wrist cutter [/i]
[B]Well considering the sound "th" doesn't even exist in Japanese, I doubt it means anything...[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink] [size=1]Juuthena is pronounced, 'Juu-ten-a' in Korean or Japanese. ^_^;

edit: I don't remember saying that second quote... oO[/color] [/size]

[B][color=deeppink] [size=1]Juuthena is pronounced, 'Juu-ten-a'. ^_^;[/color] [/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh. Well, I can't be sure, but juuten'a is probably written as:

\?V?? or \?V?¢

In either case, the first symbol means ten and the second means heaven... the third is simply a phonetic 'a', no meaning really. Those are the only two symbols I know of pronounced as 'a', and so I assume it's either one of those. However, names can be tricky... I'm making the assumption the 'a' is also a ON reading, like juu and ten.

Oh, and I fixed the quote, sorry.

• 3 weeks later...
[B]What is my name in Japanese?
I have the Chinese/Japanese Kanji chart with our Alphabet and I did my name in Japanese Kanji, letter by letter.
L
A
U
R
E
N
0_o [/B][/QUOTE]

Interesting. Especially considering the Japanese do not have L. AND even more interesting in the fact that the Japanese use syllables in speech, not individual letters. kanji pronunciations are often multisyllabic. And to have a chart... that would be interesting considering there are 2,000 kanji in Japanese for 'daily use'. I hear the Chinese have simplified theirs down to about 255 however.

[B]I was just talking about the English Alphabet in Kanji...like A B C D....you get the picture. [/B][/QUOTE]

...but there is no "b" kanji. There is "ba", "bi", "bu", "be" and "bo"... but no "b". And C would be completely useless (except when in "ch" like "cha")... you either use S or K.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wrist cutter [/i]
[B]...but there is no "b" kanji. There is "ba", "bi", "bu", "be" and "bo"... but no "b". And C would be completely useless (except when in "ch" like "cha")... you either use S or K. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink] [size=1]Hmm... My dad told me Korean was somewhat similar to Japanese, so I guess I'll give it a shot. ^_^;

You could do Lauren in Korean, but it would sound alot different, because each of the characters need a 'root' syllable to make it a full 'letter'. For example, you can't have the sound 'd' without a vowel sound along with it, sorta like a syllable in a word in English.

So, you poster prolly has a letter 'd', and a letter 'a' somewhere else. That doesn't necessarily mean the sound makes a complete letter. You have to put a consenent (sp?) sound with a vowel sound to make a full letter. ^_^;

Hope that wasn't too confusing. ^_^;[/color] [/size]

hey my real name is oceana,
it was the name of my ansestor, the first baby born on the mayflower.
I dont really know why my parents named me it but i think it is just because they liked it. I havent found its true meening yet. I also was given a buddhist name,It was Tara Kumudah, but nobody calls me it. It ment:
Tara of the sparkling lily in tebetin aperantly.
my nick name is also oshi, everyone calls me that.

[B]Hmm... My dad told me Korean was somewhat similar to Japanese, so I guess I'll give it a shot. ^_^;

You could do Lauren in Korean, but it would sound alot different, because each of the characters need a 'root' syllable to make it a full 'letter'. For example, you can't have the sound 'd' without a vowel sound along with it, sorta like a syllable in a word in English.

So, you poster prolly has a letter 'd', and a letter 'a' somewhere else. That doesn't necessarily mean the sound makes a complete letter. You have to put a consenent (sp?) sound with a vowel sound to make a full letter. ^_^;[/B][/QUOTE]

Do you speak Korean, Juu?

Anyway, you're correct. I have a few Korean friends who have been teaching me their language at a very slow rate. The writing systems do have some similarities in that characters do not impart a single sound but a full syllable - however in Japanese, it is just consanant + vowel. In Korean, I believe you can combine up to four sounds into one character...

My name is Vini. Vini stands for 'wine' (I think) in Italian. But my parents didn't name me after wine! Especially since I'm Chinese... it would be kinda weird to name me something Italian, but we only just found out that my name ment wine in Italian after we came back from Europe during the summer so...:D

They named me that because my mom's name is Annie, and my dad, who loves his aunt, ViVi, very much, wanted part of her name in mine. So my mom took the 'ni' from Annie, and the Vi from ViVi, and that's how they got my name!:)