OtakuBoards

Who We Are...

Kent

I wanted to bring this up after a small part of another thread got my attention.

This post is supposed to be about who we are, on the boards and in life off-line.

I found it intresting that there are some of us on the boards who believe the person we put ourselves up to be on the boards, is not who we actually are in real life.

This though applies to the nicest of us on the boards and the rudest.

I am personally seeing why such a thought would enter our minds, and I'm begining to believe it myself.

It seems that some on here act like they care, when they most likely dont. I dont want to generalize too much, because I know the people here care.

But the question is, would we even be friends (the people of the boards) if we hadn't been doing all this stuff online.

I also want to mention that there is a population of "not-so-nice" people on the boards.

I'm willing to bet that even some of them aren't as rude and disrespectful in real life. Maybe due to the fact that the boards remove you from face to face conversation, maybe because some of us need to vent our stress. Who knows.

All I can say is that I wanted to explore this topic.

Who we are on the boards .vs. who we are in the "real world."

I know that it could be hard to get an honest answer since we are on the boards, but with that in mind I would like us to aviod saying "oh, Im totally myself on the boards." I would rather have us just talk alittle bit about the differences (if any) that exist between the personality you have on the boards and the personality you have off-line.

Hope this makes for an intresting discusion
-kent

[color=deeppink]In all honesty, when I was moderating I acted far more tolerable than I really was. However, I think it's important to act that way when you're really there to help others, kind of like customer service at stores and such.

As for how I voice my opinions, yeah, I'm like that in real life. I'd be lying if I said I don't give a **** about the fact that most people shoot other people's opinions down upon contact, but in real life I don't care quite as much because I have people who respect me for my ability to see boths sides of an argument.

A lot of times I feel as though I don't really fit in here, for one reason or another, but only recently have I felt this way. Who knows, maybe it's just me feeling "sorry" for myself or something :p

So anyway, I really do think I'm very myself on these boards. To hell with anyone who can't deal with that :smirk:[/color]

[color=red] I'm pretty honenestly mostly myself on the boards. Just much more shy and more easily meeting of people. In real life, I'm rather shy, and I really don't have all that many friends. But, that doesn't hurt me, because the less friends you have, the more true they be.

Well, I'm certain I can't fully convey all of my personality, the way I speak, the certain way I might twiddle when I'm bored, I can't convey all of that, and I cannot certainly convey my voice when I am sarcastical and the such.

Basically, this has been my philosphy, be myself, and if someone does not like it, that's a loss to them, or a gain, depending upon which view you are talking from. If they like me, good, I'd like to get to know them as well.

As far as my kindness and putting up with people--I'm also like that in real life as well. I'm very polite. I apologize for small things, and in school, I always tell my teachers to have a nice day as I leave the door. I also say thank you, and please quite often.

And if you still don't believe I'm the real me on these boards, all one needs to do is check out my poem thread. If I'm lying in all of that, then I'm one damn good facade.[/color]

[quote]But the question is, would we even be friends (the people of the boards) if we hadn't been doing all this stuff online.[/quote]I am pretty different in real life. And it all depends if I know the person in real life.

In real life, if I dont feel comfy round the person, I'm the most quiet, self-oriented person. But if I am comfy with them, I joke about anything from politics to sex lol..

On the boards, Im sorta the same..but with an added attitude...some times for the best some times for the worst.

But if I'm one of them "Bad" people who really care... hehe yea thats probably correct. I also try (unsucessfully) to look/be more smart on the boards, so yea...

I personally do not differentiate between real life and online life for the most part. I don't consider friends I make here (or online in general) any less of a friend than some person I know personally (other than some best friends I have in my real life as well, but what can you expect).

I talk the same on here and AIM as I do in real life. Sure, it's easier when you can actually speak, and I tend to act like a far bigger idiot in person when given the chance... But the attitude is still the same.

I don't have the time or the patience to make some different character for myself online. I'm not one to lie, so I just stay myself. If people do not like it, that's okay with me... Can't expect everyone to.

[b]I suppose I'm different to when I'm online or anything like that. Certainly on here I use bigger words and so forth, but that's only because my written English is a lot better than my spoken, heheh.

I'm pretty much the same online, I like to 'meet' new people and make friends online, as I find it's always interesting to speak to people on the opposite side of the world.

One thing though, I'm a hell of a lot more hyper when I'm just with my friends.. as some of you may know on AIM ;) (m00?)[/b]

I think I do act a little bit differently online then in the real world because in the real world I really only talk to my friends because I'm really shy and since I don't have any friends and no one really talks to me here exept for maybe Darkmoon....yeah so that's why I think I act a little bit differently.

I actually hold back a little when I'm on Otakuboards; in several ways.

I'm a little more goofy in real life; not much, though. In real life, I tend to tell more bad jokes, I'm a lot more sarcastic, and I'm quite figgetty (if that's even a word). When I say "figgety" I mean I move around a lot. I can't sit still in my seat for more than 2 straight minutes and I use a [b]lot[/b] of hand gestures when I talk (I even have a way to highlight words in my sentences when I talk.) :)

Sometimes I speak a lot like the way I type, but then I like to change my tone of voice out of nowhere. One minute I'm speaking English in my normal non-surfer Californian voice, then I switch to a fake accent (British, New Yorker, old southern black man) to emphasize like one or two words in the middle, and then switch back to my normal voice again. You can't really catch that on Otakuboards, but I try to be silly when I talk sometimes.

I also hold back on my mood swings when I'm online. Usually, when I get into an arguement or discussion with someone, I tend to go on and on about my point until neither the person I'm talking to or I myself get tired. And sometimes I come up with some reall non-sensical stuff to talk about. If I kept on in discussions on OB like I do in real life, some of you wouldn't like me and I'd probably be banned by now.

Other than that, I'm the same person. :cross:

I tend to speak up alot more on this platform (message board/internet) more than I would if this were a real life debate center or something. But my basic emotions are the same. I think what I say on the boards and I think no different in real life. I suppose this particular thread addresses the manner of which the thought is said on the boards. I can be different. I am not afraid for reactions I get here because they aren't personal in matter, unless ofcourse I know the person personally. If I tell some newbie he's stupid and bans him, that would have little to no effect on me because a) I can't see his personal reaction and b) I dont know him, never will know him, and most likely never will see him again. Ofcourse someone's gonna act different on the web, whether more outgoing (me for example) or more harsh or just plain annoying and cocky. I've noticed, including myself, people tend to be alot, ALOT more cocky and arrogant online than if they were in real life. With no personal interactions, people tend to be that way. Wanting to put themselves at an advantage over someone who cannot see who the true person really is.

Well, I really can't say. In real life, I talk very little. But I do laugh alot. But thats all I really do. I don't really know.

If you first meet me in life, you'd think I was really rude. But all my friends know that Im not a bad person, but just that Im shy with meeting new people.

Basically Im just myself here on OB.

I think as far as this topic goes, I'm(or I was) about as bad a case as it gets. I pretended to be a [i]completely[/i] different person than I really was.

But that's in the past. As far as the way I act now; I think I generally tend to be the same person IRL that I am here. I may be a little bit different here than I am IRL, but only because of the 'edit' feature. ^_^

-Justin

As much as I'd love to say I'm not different at all, I am.

On the internet I am not nearly as timid as I am in real life. In real life I'm very nervouse around everyone, and when I do make friends. They're my friends for life. I don't like parting with friends at all.

Also I'm not as open with my opinions. Well not that. I just don't talk much. If people are debating unless its in a class room where I feel safe I stay out of it.

Also I'd love to say I am even close to as respected as I am here. I'm pretty much the loner dude in real life.

SO yeah I'm much happier and giddy here on Otaku Boards.

I also hold myself to higher standards on the boards and net. For some reason o.O. Go figure.

What you see is what you get.

I've never tried to create a false identity. There are probably a lot of people who try to appear more glamorous online, because it's easy to hide their imperfections. That's a novelty of the internet, I suppose; it can give people a chance to be something they normally couldn't be. By creating a false identity, they feel that they can gain a higher level of acceptance.

I could never do that, because I'm a fairly lame actor. After a while I would probably become entangled in lies and make myself look silly, lol. Then again, I've never felt a need to hide behind a mask. I'm just a weirdo through and through--nothing can mask that.

If people don't like me for who I am it's cool. "It's better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for something that you are not."

[color=deeppink] [size=1]I'm basically myself here on the boards, except I'm alot less outgoing, and much quieter, excpept when I'm around my guyfriends, since we like to tease each other often...

*cough* I prefer talking pretty fast, and avoid bigger words except during science and Language arts.

Buuuut... basically, I'm pretty much the same here as I am in real life. ^^[/color] [/size]

[color=red]I dunno.

I mean, I'm myself on the boards, and in real life, but there are subtle differences. I mean, honestly, my name is [b]not[/b] J.C. Baggee...I just don't want to throw my real name out to the masses. J.C. Baggee is the guy on OtakuBoards who posts alot, screws up a bit more, and runs a website that he advertises for more than he can. In real life, I'm Chris, a guy who screws up a lot, talks a lot to his friends, and does fairly well in school.

Bottom line is, BabyGirl couldn't have said it better.

I'm me. To hell with anyone who disagrees.

--J.C.[/color]

[color=indigo]I would say the only real difference between who I am here and who I am in real life, is that I 'speak' a lot more here. In real life I am a fairly quiet person, unless you get me with the right people. Though, I think it is just because I can put things better on paper, or in this case, on a message board, than I can through just speaking. One time one of my friends wrote me a note during school, and when I wrote her back she felt that I said more things to her in that note than I have the entire time I had known her (which, at that time, had only been a month or two). If I am writing or typing things down, I can think through what I am saying and make sure it comes off correct, or as correct as I can get it. If I am speaking, I just say whatever comes into my head at the time.

Also, I am a lot more open online. I know the people I tell things do not know me, or know anyone I know in real life. So I am more likely to tell personal things to someone online rather than someone I know in real life.

Umm, I do not swear as much online as I do in real life. Even then, I still do not swear that often.

Otherwise, I would say I am pretty much the same person here, as I am in real life. Of course, you cannot see me, so it is not like you can pick up on my facial expressions except those through such things as ^_^ or o_O.

Anyone who feels the need to be someone else online should really take that into some better use, and get into drama. There is quote from one of my friends that goes something like, "I got into drama because I know that when I am up on stage, I can pretend I'm someone else." I am sure those are not the exact words, but the next time she gets online I shall get the right words from her profile, and edit this post. It is a rather profound thought in my opinion, knowing the person she is.

[edit] The exact quote: "My life revolves around the theater, because for those few brief moments when I'm on stage, I get to be somebody else."[/color]

[SIZE=1]I'm the same person, but I act differently in different environments. I act differently in school than I do at home, and differently at home than I do in Otaku L. I act differently in this forum than I do in Digimon. It's all a matter of context.

I think I tend to be misunderstood more on OB, as it's difficult to get emotions and inflections across through type. But I act the basically the same wherever I am.

I'm quiet when there are a lot of people around--whether in school or a chat with folks I don't know well. I talk more with friends, tho' both online and off, I'm usually the quietest of them.

I suppose one could say I''m quieter IRL. Simply because...I am. One of the fun things about an online forum is the opportunities you have to participate in discussions one usually wouldn't see in 'real life.' Because of the variety of topics, I have more to say.

I also tend to be able to act more...neutral...online. If I'm very upset, or very giddy, you would notice it instantly if you were in the same room with me. I can't hide that sort of thing. But when you can go over and think out every reply, you can keep your emotions under a little tighter reign.

Although I admit I don't always take advantage of the opportunity.
[/SIZE]

I've never felt the need to change my personality or attitude either in real-life or on the boards. I don't post much these days, so my personality doesn't really show through. But I am generally a very honest person and that doesn't change when I do post my opinions or comments.
I have realised that i'm not very approachable on the boards as I am in real-life, probably because i'm generally not the one make an effort to approach people and become friends with them in reality. Never had to, as people are just attracted to me (Trust me, it's not always a good thing). But it never is the case on the boards, where people don't know how you act or talk or think..all the characteristics that can't be expressed on the boards really...

[color=indigo]When I'm online I tend to "say" more (or at least I think I do, I don't log on enough to notice). I guess I'm only talkative around people I'm comfortable with. But if I'm in a room filled with strangers I'll go really quiet. When I'm online however I can just say anything and act crazier than usual. But at least I'm still nice like in real life (hopefully). I can't really tell these stuff, I mean how others perceive you is always different from how you see yourself.

Other than that I don't think I'm that different at all... Except maybe the fact that online I can type lots of dots (...) and in real life the dots will be substituted with silence... Yeah... :bluesweat:

And also when you're online you can edit what you say and display your emotions differently (eg. through smilies).[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Delian [/i]
[B] I have realised that i'm not very approachable on the boards as I am in real-life, probably because i'm generally not the one make an effort to approach people and become friends with them in reality. Never had to, as people are just attracted to me (Trust me, it's not always a good thing).[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I am attracted to you Del, and it isn't a good thing :p (j/k).

I think I am pretty much the same on the boards as I am in real life. I am moody, cynical, and sort of a loner. I am quite gregarious, but I have few real friends, I enjoy it better that way, it helps to keep from spreading loyalties to thin.[/color]

Well now that a good number have come forth and told their stories, I thought it would be time for me.

I dont mean my story, but actually my theory.

See, I feel like I was pretty much right.

Heres the deal.

I felt that the majority of us on the boards were almost in a sense even more ourselves on the boards than in our usual lives.

All of us on here that will be twice as outgoing, while in our real lives being shy and withdrawn.
(which is me, but Im much better now that Im out of highschool.)

I figured that the above mentioned "shy" person would be the person to most likely explain themselves in this thread.

So, like I mentioned my prediction was close.

But I'm wondering where all the butt heads are who are only jerks on the boards.

Wait, maybe thats me... I dont know, but Im sure that on the boards we are all excepted and thats why its always easier to be ourselves here instead of the real world.